Poll

Would you replace Angle of Attack with some sort of Movement Modifiers?

A.  Yes
2 (20%)
B.  No
8 (80%)
C. Don't care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Would you replace Angle of Attack with some sort of Movement Modifiers?  (Read 2468 times)

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
  Would you replace Angle of Attack with some sort of Movement Modifiers? Add comments in this thread.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
No. Stuff moves too fast in space for movement modifiers to matter, and it'd be difficult to associate with movement modifiers at lower altitudes. Look at what aerospace targeting computers deal with:

A few hexes per turn in engagements moving in the same direction.
25 to 100 hexes per turn in crossing orbital engagements.
A few THOUSAND hexes per turn when defenders meet approaching raiders a few hours from a planet.
Tens of thousands of hexes per turn when crossing mid-transit between planet and jump point.

It's relatively easy to target someone moving in a straight line. You give enough lead to allow for time of flight and plink away.

Rather, I like the current combination of the "evasion" option and angle of attack. When there's a perceptible flight time involved, jinking can do a fine job of throwing off targeting solutions.

If you wanted an alternative, I'd say make it related to the number of thrust points spent per turn rather than absolute velocity. It's harder to hit something that's changing course.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
<<If you wanted an alternative, I'd say make it related to the number of thrust points spent per turn rather than absolute velocity. It's harder to hit something that's changing course.>>

That's actually was what I was looking for. Thanks. See new poll.

-Andrew
« Last Edit: 03 February 2011, 22:02:16 by ATN082268 »

Register