Author Topic: Precision Ammo requirements  (Read 1001 times)

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
Precision Ammo requirements
« on: 21 February 2019, 08:25:40 »
I have a few questions that came up during a game about precision Ammo.  The first paragraph looks straightforward, if a target has a move value of 10 or more the use of this ammo will increase your standard weapon attack damage by 1.

The second paragraph does not state this requirement. It says that when a unit uses it's AC special only that it lowers the to hit number by 2 instead of boosting the damage as in paragraph one.

I attached an image of the rules, and I believe I've conveyed this (because I can't figure out how to copy and paste on my phone from the PDF I bought) correctly.

The questions I have are centered around determining what targets are valid uses, specifically, are there requirements related to the second paragraph?

1) To be able to use the AC special and reduce my to hit number, does the target need to have a move value of 10 or more? 
2) If so, am I unable to use this ability on a unit with 8j movement that has jumped, making its net to hit due to movement 2?
3) Is a unit with 10"move value a valid target if it elected to remain stationary during it's turn? (I think this affects both cases, the AC special and the standard attack supplement).

How do other players use this ability on the table? I didn't see this clarified when I searched it, so I may be misunderstanding it. I'm trying hard not to look at alpha strike through a total warfare lense.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2019, 10:23:56 by Mwenski »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Precision Ammo requirements
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2019, 09:33:39 »
EDIT:

1) yes.
2) yes, unable to use.
3) it shouldn't. 
« Last Edit: 21 February 2019, 09:35:22 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2019, 10:26:30 »
For 3) where you said it shouldn't, do you mean that it conflicts with the rule's intent, or that it conflicts with how it's written?

This may only be me, but would the effect be better captured by the language "reduces the tmm by 2 to a minimum of 0"?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2019, 10:40:19 »
It conflicts with the rule’s intent.

A free -1 to practically anything was probably deemed overpowered for AS. It helps against fast units, not all units.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2019, 11:05:52 »
That makes sense. I think just one more question, regarding split movement modes. If a unit has 10 ground movement and 8 jump ( or vice versa, to have two values on either side of the threshold) how would that effect eligibility?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2019, 11:18:40 »
Whichever movement mode it had used that turn.  Same logic as my "it shouldn't answer" to the stand-still.  If a unit used a movement mode that doesn't give it move, or gave it a particular move (jump, submersible, etc), use the move it selected for this turn. 

Register