Author Topic: Alpha Strike Lance Packs: reprints?  (Read 4028 times)

sozin

• Recruit
Alpha Strike Lance Packs: reprints?
« on: 18 February 2019, 13:06:36 »
Hi, I'm a newish player getting the game with the release of the Beginner Box and AGoAC box sets. I was checking out what other miniature packs exist and found the following:

Assault Lance Pack
Battle Lance Pack
Command Lance Pack
Fire Lance Pack
Pusuit Lance Pack
Recon Lance Pack
Striker Lance Pack
Support Lance Pack

All but a couple of these (the Recon and Support) are sold out everywhere, including the Catalyst site. Will these packs ever be reprinted?

Thank you!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Alpha Strike Lance Packs: reprints?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2019, 13:10:38 »
Those plastics will not, however, you can get the same minis (and hundreds more) in metal from www.ironwindmetals.com

sozin

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2019, 13:13:40 »
Thanks for the quick response, and ... bummer! (I don't enjoy assembling metal minis, and find I prefer painting on plastic anyways.)

Do you happen to have insight into why no re-print is coming? You'd think with the fresh influx of players from the recent box set releases, and a healthy ebay market for the packs, this would be a lay-up for Catalyst?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2019, 13:23:53 »
Thanks for the quick response, and ... bummer! (I don't enjoy assembling metal minis, and find I prefer painting on plastic anyways.)

Do you happen to have insight into why no re-print is coming? You'd think with the fresh influx of players from the recent box set releases, and a healthy ebay market for the packs, this would be a lay-up for Catalyst?
The first printing sold somewhat slowly. So it wasn't really that profitable. Didn't really appeal to new players then, highly  doubt it would now.
Plus new box set has completely new designs. It wouldn't make sense to release worse quality compared to newer and better ones.
Whether there are any other new miniature packs coming is to be seen.

sozin

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2019, 13:26:15 »
Ah, didn't know there were new designs. Makes more sense now. Thank you!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2019, 13:28:25 »
the original run started not long after the 3rd printing of the intro box and by the sound of the official line taken here, they didn't sell enough at the speed that was desired to make them worthwhile from the business end. the fate of the molds is also questionable.

also there would be a lot of griping about the quality of the lance pack sculpts compared to the new box ones (heck, there still is)

i don't put a lot of stock in the ebay market. with supply at super low levels, the demand doesn't have to be that strong to make it look robust. CGL would be producing on a scale much larger than the tens of units that show up on ebay over the course of a month and I don't know if the market is there.

I was able to get all of the lance packs but Assault in the past few months for no more than $20 a pop between ebay and amazon. It's not the same as walking into your local store and getting one off the shelf, but it's the best option right now.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2019, 16:50:49 »

Some of those minis do not require much if at all assembly.  After a bad run ('03-'06) I started only buying whole or two piece minis b/c I did not want to deal with all the tiny bits.  I know look at how many parts, what type of connections and talk to others who do a lot of assembly since I still do not want 20+ piece minis.  Down in the mini forums someone was putting together a guide/rating system so that folks could check to see how complicated the mini was to complete.  The latest run stuff, I am starting to buy minis that have pieces in the teens but I chalk that up to the modelers now using computer renders to make the mini- I have absolutely loved some that had a LOT of pieces b/c they were easy to really assemble (Thunderbolt 1C and Juliano come to mind).

We are hoping that some of the re-imagining of the Classics (Marauder, Warhammer, Phoenix Hawk, etc) will come in new boxes or perhaps a expansion pack, but so far that is only fan wish speculation.  To repeat, NO OTHER BOXES ARE PLANNED THAT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 17:30:52 »
Down in the mini forums someone was putting together a guide/rating system so that folks could check to see how complicated the mini was to complete. 

See my sig for the link

The latest run stuff, I am starting to buy minis that have pieces in the teens but I chalk that up to the modelers now using computer renders to make the mini- I have absolutely loved some that had a LOT of pieces b/c they were easy to really assemble (Thunderbolt 1C and Juliano come to mind).

Atlas III as well

Once you get the hang of the process, the ~8 piece moderate minis go together pretty fast. You can start slow with arms-only models like the thug and Zeus and move onto ones the new shadow hawk that run around five pieces.

There are a few ferocious ones that get an outsized portrayal as the norm like the Archer 8M’s missile bay doors, the tiburon’s feet, or the Marauder IIC 2’s smaller than rice decorative pieces but most aren’t nearly that bad.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 17:32:28 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 17:49:32 »
There are a few ferocious ones that get an outsized portrayal as the norm like the Archer 8M’s missile bay doors, the tiburon’s feet, or the Marauder IIC 2’s smaller than rice decorative pieces but most aren’t nearly that bad.

I would add the Scylla, Maruader 9S/9D, the Celestial series, Solitaire, and I am sure I am forgetting more that I swore I would never buy more of . . . but those are all from that time era- except the Tiburon.

But to the OP- I agree with you, I bought multiple packs and have followed worktroll's advice/directions for modifying the Lance Pack plastics.  Right now I am doing a lot of terrain, when I get back into putting minis together and painting them I have a spare Firestarter I want to do as a jumping mech pose.  I also have some in shrink wrap still for my kid to open as his starter company.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 17:51:36 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 19:13:04 »
I am in favour of newlance packs, but not reprints. Even without redesigns of the models within. The old Lance Packs where too Assault and Heavy focused, despite being built for the late succession wars period where Mediums and Light should be the focus. If I was going to redesign them I would remove the Heavy's and Assault's from most of the boxes and replace them with Mediums and Lights. Heavy's would pop up at one to a box for the most point with the exception being the Heavy focused box, and Assault's would be rare, only appearing in there own and one or two others.
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2019, 19:31:34 »
Sounds like you’re volunteering to sit in on the dunk tank full of astringent after telling people that they’re not getting the macross heavies

They’re not meant to be representive of vague canon force compositions, they’re meant to make people want to buy them.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 19:34:45 by Sartris »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2019, 21:59:29 »
The old Lance Packs where too Assault and Heavy focused, despite being built for the late succession wars period where Mediums and Light should be the focus.

Actually, they were not for that era- they were chosen just like the box set mechs (then and now) to be designs that could be played in any era b/c they were common and produced through out BT's timeline.  Its part of why people were doing a head scratcher over the Shogun b/c it broke that 'rule.'  The As Cards in each box had 3025 and 3050s designs- quick check shows one side of the card had the AWS-9M.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2019, 02:58:22 »
(I don't enjoy assembling metal minis, and find I prefer painting on plastic anyways.)

Most of those figs are fairly simple 1-3 pieces of easy assembly. Buy some cheap files to deal with the mold lines; disposable nail files from the drugstore work just fine

As for painting on plastic, I've never noticed the difference once the primer was on.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2019, 04:39:17 »
The problem was that the Alpha Strike Lance Packs were insanely over-ordered. Company leadership confused "realism" for "pessimism," and wasted a lot of money on the boxes. They took years to sell through, and CGL's bosses blamed everyone but themselves for the error. Retailers are still pissed-off over the debacle, so if your FLGS isn't carrying new BattleTech items, you know who to blame.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2019, 07:16:46 »
The problem was that the Alpha Strike Lance Packs were insanely over-ordered. Company leadership confused "realism" for "pessimism," and wasted a lot of money on the boxes. They took years to sell through, and CGL's bosses blamed everyone but themselves for the error. Retailers are still pissed-off over the debacle, so if your FLGS isn't carrying new BattleTech items, you know who to blame.

Why would retailers be posted about the Lance Packs? They are pissed if there aren’t enoigj product for them to get any I understand, being pissed because there is plenty of product??
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MoffMalthus

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2019, 07:56:30 »
I think the point was that too much product didn't sell and took up room on store shelves. Most game stores have very limited space as we all know...
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
-Sun Tzu

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2019, 09:36:50 »
I think the point was that too much product didn't sell and took up room on store shelves. Most game stores have very limited space as we all know...

I find it hard to generalize retailers (even with the assumed limiting that to game store retailers) as using much of any shelf space for BattleTech. So it sounds more like a specific retailer that does dedicate shelf space being pissed, not "retailers" in general.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2019, 11:19:02 »
Randall would sneak in at night and over-stock their shelves, like a tall, twisted elf.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

sozin

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2019, 13:15:12 »
Most of those figs are fairly simple 1-3 pieces of easy assembly. Buy some cheap files to deal with the mold lines; disposable nail files from the drugstore work just fine

As for painting on plastic, I've never noticed the difference once the primer was on.

Yeah, after looking at some of the awesome IWM minis, I must say I am tempted to revise my stance :-) I have files and stuff for dealing with mold lines/flash, so should be good to go.

I searched around and didn't get any immediate hits -- are there any good n00b-focused tutorials out there on assembly?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2019, 14:07:10 »
Yeah, after looking at some of the awesome IWM minis, I must say I am tempted to revise my stance :-) I have files and stuff for dealing with mold lines/flash, so should be good to go.

I searched around and didn't get any immediate hits -- are there any good n00b-focused tutorials out there on assembly?

ask and you shall receive. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVj6i87wxNzXSHexyWHArN5CGbf_O7MzS

A bunch of ones posted.  Other than that, sarna.net is a good resource for images so you can see what things are supposed to look like, as is camospecs.com
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2019, 14:07:29 »
Why would retailers be posted about the Lance Packs? They are pissed if there aren’t enoigj product for them to get any I understand, being pissed because there is plenty of product??

It's not the suppliers who were the problem, it's business.

Consider the analogy: you buy 100 lemons for $20, make lemonade, sell out in a day making $30 - great!

So tomorrow you buy 100,000 lemons for $10,000 - half unit price! - but only make sales for  $30/day. You haven't seen any profit at all until 3 years later ...

Small companies can't afford to tie too much money up in product that isn't moving. The current situation - small, and (most critically) repeated sets, mean CGL sees more money up front sooner, to plow back into the next product. Or so conventional business wisdom goes.

(Note: not privy to any CGL financials, just an old fart who's seen ships burning off the shoulder of Orion ... ;) )

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2019, 14:33:57 »
It's not the suppliers who were the problem, it's business.

Consider the analogy: you buy 100 lemons for $20, make lemonade, sell out in a day making $30 - great!

So tomorrow you buy 100,000 lemons for $10,000 - half unit price! - but only make sales for  $30/day. You haven't seen any profit at all until 3 years later ...

Small companies can't afford to tie too much money up in product that isn't moving. The current situation - small, and (most critically) repeated sets, mean CGL sees more money up front sooner, to plow back into the next product. Or so conventional business wisdom goes.

(Note: not privy to any CGL financials, just an old fart who's seen ships burning off the shoulder of Orion ... ;) )

W

I was replying to the “retailers are still pissed” comment. I have no idea where that woood come from.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2019, 14:55:04 »

IWM designs have become really good in recent years.  Their website’s online photos have a year on them, but keep in mind that if it says “2008” it could be a 30-year old model and it’s just the photo that’s eleven years old.  The old models are… old.  You might as well look for the Alpha Strike plastic mini on eBay.  Antiquated designs, less attention paid to scale, iffy interfaces between parts, mold lines in all the wrong places (like through louvers)... they take some work.  The problem is that a lot of the 3025 mechs are still old models.

I’m a fan of using newer models even when they don’t represent the right variant.  They tend to have more pieces, which might be intimidating, but they fit together better.  Sometimes it’s a straightforward substitution - the Cataphract -0X has a similar weapons layout as the -1X and is a more modern-looking sculpt, plus its aesthetic fits in with at least one other Capellan-designed mech (the Raven).  A bit big, but I’m glad I bought it over the -1X. 

The Raven II looks more modern than the Raven, but it has its missile launcher on the wrong side if you want to run it as an old Raven.  (I don’t yet have a sense about how much people care.)  In the same vein, the latest Rifleman model is the -1N/-2N, and it’s missing the autocannons of the more common versions but I’d rather start with that model.

And then there are cases like the Lu Wei Bing, which appears to be Mechwarrior Online’s Victor redesign with a modified arm and a new name to escape legal issues.  It makes a great Victor… if you ever find out that it exists.  I only found out about it through sheer luck, shortly after ordering an old Victor model.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2019, 15:16:56 »
IWM designs have become really good in recent years.  Their website’s online photos have a year on them, but keep in mind that if it says “2008” it could be a 30-year old model and it’s just the photo that’s eleven years old. 

the date on the pictures is when it was photographed for Camospecs. the copyright is for the paintjob-as-art

(I don’t yet have a sense about how much people care.)

they generally don't

And then there are cases like the Lu Wei Bing, which appears to be Mechwarrior Online’s Victor redesign with a modified arm and a new name to escape legal issues.  It makes a great Victor… if you ever find out that it exists.  I only found out about it through sheer luck, shortly after ordering an old Victor model.

The Lu Wei Bing is a Capellan redesign of the victor from the dark age. you'll notice it bears resemblance to several versions of the victor from newer art than Loose's original. It should be noted Alex Iglesias drew both the MWO version of the Victor and the Lu Wei Bing, so the similarities are hardly coincidental.

The problem with the Lu Wei Bing mini is that it's relatively small. i think i remember something about a prototype with the wrong dimensions being used to make the mold.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 15:19:26 by Sartris »

sozin

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 19 February 2019, 15:31:44 »
ask and you shall receive. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVj6i87wxNzXSHexyWHArN5CGbf_O7MzS

A bunch of ones posted.  Other than that, sarna.net is a good resource for images so you can see what things are supposed to look like, as is camospecs.com

Holy cats, great Youtube link, thank you!

Yeah I've browsed around the camospecs site. I was trying to follow the cockpit jeweling tutorial but sadly none of the embedded images on the page are loading for me :-(

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #25 on: 19 February 2019, 15:51:15 »
The Lu Wei Bing is a Capellan redesign of the victor from the dark age. you'll notice it bears resemblance to several versions of the victor from newer art than Loose's original. It should be noted Alex Iglesias drew both the MWO version of the Victor and the Lu Wei Bing, so the similarities are hardly coincidental.

The Yu Huang.  It's a redesign of the Yu Huang.   :'(

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 19 February 2019, 15:55:57 »

Hehe, it's like the "Janet Jackson had two ribs surgically removed" of BattleTech.  ;D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2019, 15:59:48 »

This is like when a kid is delivered and it looks like the personal trainer instead of the husband

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2019, 16:52:30 »
Assault Lance Pack
Battle Lance Pack
Command Lance Pack
Fire Lance Pack
Pusuit Lance Pack
Recon Lance Pack
Striker Lance Pack
Support Lance Pack

I'm curious, I thought these were in metal in the boxed sets but above in the thread its mentioned they were plastic like the base 24 that came in the intro box?

Which is it, is it the Plastic or the Metal ?

And if its plastic were the added mechs also in plastic?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2019, 17:02:33 »
I'm curious, I thought these were in metal in the boxed sets but above in the thread its mentioned they were plastic like the base 24 that came in the intro box?

Which is it, is it the Plastic or the Metal ?

And if its plastic were the added mechs also in plastic?

The Alpha Strike Lance Packs were entirely plastic.