Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace Combat / Re: FC Naval Command Decision
« Last post by Colt Ward on Today at 16:20:32 »
She was broken at the end of the Jihad riding to Tharkads rescue- if you ever watched neo BSG, they gave her Galactica type history except she became a museum ship.

And even as a museum ship, she has to be maintained to be a safe place to visit.

Besides, I think the Wolf & Falcon invasion of Tharkad was written before the movie Battleship, so they could not riff on dropping anchor to deliver a broadside from the museum ship.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Best Era
« Last post by klarg1 on Today at 16:11:52 »
But I'd rather FASA had given us say, 150 years, to play out the succession wars instead of going straight from 3025 to the clan invasion in 25 years.

:huh:

The 3rd Succession War is almost 160 years long by itself. There is lots of room for new fiction set in that period (and an endless variety of games), but the defining feature of the era is that it was a slow grind with no major changes for over a century.
A Time of War / Re: Tips for GM-ing?
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 16:09:56 »
That's a fair point... I suppose our group back in college was a bit more rules focused than most...
A Time of War / Re: Tips for GM-ing?
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 16:07:52 »
ninety nine percent of a GM's job, is keeping the players engaged in the story.  That other 1% is the rules.
Aerospace Combat / Re: FC Naval Command Decision
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 16:01:59 »
See, I wonder about this, as it's something in the BTU that is totally different than Real World.

Aircraft & Blue Water Ships totally have a shelf life, their hulls flat out corrode & wear out, and FAST-ISH too.  Actually so do our cars.

Mechs get used for Centuries all over in the fiction.  Dropships even more so.   (ASF & Tanks probably similar if more "destroyable" as a whole)

The Clans WS fleets are all based on SLDF era ships,  let alone the few in caches that were even older AoW vessels.

I get the distinct impression that Sea Water corrosion &/or Airframe G-Tolerances don't have equivalents for wear & tear in black space.
  At least in the BTU.     No idea what that International Space Station up there is like.

Entropy DOES seem to take a backseat in the Battletech 'verse (PhasaFiziks) or only turns up when it's 'dramatic' (RewluvKewl).

But the Tharkad class ship was explicitly stated as being pretty much a complete wreck in the Sarna entry, bad enough that by the 3140s it was still unrepaired.

likely because 'twas unrepairable.

You know, a timeframe where it might've been very Useful to have a BATTLESHIP when you've got two Clans coming right down Tharkad (the star system's) throat.

I spent massive amounts of time trying to paint the timberwolf to the best of my capabilities and stressing over tiny details, and then I speed painted this Incubus in less than an hour total.

General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Best Era
« Last post by Greatclub on Today at 15:49:04 »
I think the real problem was they fiction basically skipped the entirety of the 3030s AND 3040s outside of the 6 months of the Wo39.

We got 2 Trilogies & some Single novels to go from 3024-3030.
Then 1 Book Jumps around & covers the previous years AND shoots us all the way to 3040 or so.
And BAM, then its 3049/50 & a new Trilogy.

Stackpole is on record saying that he tried to write the original red corsair set in 3004 but got told by ROC (Not FASA, ROC, the novel publisher) to move the timeline forward instead. Pretty much tied FASA's hands, and now we've been told succession wars doesn't sell as well as invasion and DA+ products.
Alpha Strike / Re: 'Mech destroyed result-then what?
« Last post by nckestrel on Today at 15:43:51 »
The free Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars along with some AS specific rules that you can find in https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69605.msg1615288#msg1615288.  the post covers destroyed versus truly destroyed.  The old Alpha Strike Companion had some more involved rules, with modifiers based on exact crits taken and other results.
Fan Fiction / Re: Opalescent Reflections
« Last post by Gorgon on Today at 15:43:29 »
If he´s being lead, it´ll be by Subhash Indrahar and Chandrasekhar Kurita. It could be much worse - they´re both loyal to the family and to the Combine, and on board with the reforms Minoru started.

Subhash is dead, died off-screen (during the battle for New Samarkand, IIRC). Ninyu is head of the ISF now, but your argument still stands.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register