Author Topic: Rock of the Republic explains . . (spoilers)  (Read 16614 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Rock of the Republic explains . . (spoilers)
« Reply #150 on: 11 August 2020, 19:24:54 »
It's part of their cunning plan to give Renegade Legion a reboot.
I'm in   :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #151 on: 12 August 2020, 06:52:44 »
It's part of their cunning plan to give Renegade Legion a reboot.
Oh My god, it make total sense!! lol  ;D  :toofunny:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #152 on: 12 August 2020, 07:02:43 »
I'm in   :thumbsup:

FASA are currently in talks to reacquire the rights to Renegade Legion
CGL are unlikely to move as the game would likely cannibalise the BT player base
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #153 on: 13 August 2020, 07:11:03 »
Ok. This is what I got from putting together the various text blurbs from Shattered Fortress, Era Digest: 3145, Rock of the Republic, etcetera.

Devlin Stone, as we all know, plans for EVERYTHING. He is a control freak of the HIGHEST nature. (For example, when they inform him that the Fidelis have been released. "THEY WERE MINE!").  He had a plan for the inner sphere that "I will fight no more forever." But he couldn't stand not being there when it happened, as he believes that only he can pull it off.

What we know:

Devlin Stone Created the Blackout Protocol (Clarion Call) before he was put on ice.

Devlin Stone did not actually ACTIVATE Clarion Call, as he was on ice.

He wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. (His reaction when being woken up for the first time "TOO SOON!"). Also, he was surprised by how quickly the Houses rearmed, and that the HPG networks were down when woken up. He asks Harwell "where are my live feeds of the prefecture governor's offices"

It is very likely that Clarion Call was set to go off when certain conditions were met (and would wake up Stone at that time so he could see what happens). For example "Once House military levels have been at peace for X years and reduced their forces to X amount")

So, the problem is that someone (Mr. X, I will assume Word of Blake for the purpose of discussion here) discovered those plans, and realized that yeah, this plan really could work. And if done NOW, instead of "when the stars are right", that the Republic would suffer along with the other Houses. So, they launched some of their Hidden Forces at the HPG's that Clarion Call could not take out.

So, a defrosted Stone is trying to project like "The plan is fine, we're going to stop them at Terra and then recover all the worlds we lost, and then some!".. because well, that's all he really has left to play.  But he keeps running the numbers, and they just can't. They could defeat Clan Wolf. Or Clan Jade Falcon. Or the Capellan Confederation. Or the Draconis Combine. They MIGHT stop two of the four. MAYBE. They CAN'T stop all four. So, he has to try to reduce the amount of fronts he's facing. By giving Julian Davion a relatively small amount of forces, it A) distracts the Combine, which was actively trying to breach the Fortress, and B) Davion might feel obliged to send forces to help. It seems to be working, as the Dragon's tounge is being Chopped into pieces, and it's safe to say that the Dragon is.. distracted.

The Capellans are being held at Northwind, which keeps them from being a contender for Terra, right now at least. But they're still going to be coming, eventually. So that's only a partial win.

So, the two immediate threats are the two major Clans. Wolf and Jade Falcon. And Stone has pretty much admitted that the Republic, in its current form, is dead. Deader then disco. Deader then Hanse Davion. Maybe more dead then Sun Tzu Liao (wouldn't be surprised if Sunny Tzu put himself on ice ala Stone)

Stone (to Harwell): You don’t see it because you’ve been approaching the problem from the wrong direction. You believe we’ve been trying to preserve the Republic all this time? What if I told you the Republic can’t be restored to what it was? What if I told you that the best way forward might be to forge the Republic into something new and different?

Does anyone think that Stone can make a deal with the Jade Falcons? (you may laugh here, if you wish. I did)

Does anyone think that if Devlin Stone goes to Alaric Ward and says: "Rather then the two of us warring and Jade Falcon taking out the winner, how about this. You and me fight. If I win, the Wolf Clan becomes the Republic Defense Force. As part of the Republic, Clan Wolf is the ilClan, and can rally the less insane members of the Clans to accept. If you win, mostly the same, except that the Star League/Republic Defense Force has supreme military command over the Inner Sphere", that Alaric wouldn't accept?

The numbers game weighs heavily on Alaric's mind. Which means that he's desperately trying to get more forces. Such as Wolf's Dragoons. Such as the remnants of Wolf-In-Exile. (would that be where Anastasia Kerensky is going?). Such as the Kell Hounds? (Garner Kerensky returned in Divided We Fall from such a mission). Such as the Fidelis.

Now, let's say we add in the Davion/Republic armies. That's... a pretty impressive coalition. Not enough to steamroll the Jade Falcons on Earth. But enough to HOLD? Enough to send them fleeing (which just reinforces Clan Wolf, Kerensky's Legacy, as the ilClan).

All of which could conceivably lead to the situation described in the future of the TRO:Succession Wars Prologue, where they write to the IlKhan:

That moreover, the re-employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system has helped quell the inherent hostility and intransigence of the freebirth masses of the Inner Sphere. The enormous change they have experienced has been eased both by these gladiatorial contests and by the sight of familiar ’Mechs competing in them. Such machines also provide an effective baseline for the evaluation of potential MechWarriors in the contests, given the [rohibition against the use of modern technology by the faux warriors. Finally, the familiarity of these ’Mechs provides a bridge for Spheroid citizens between the past and the present. One wonders, for example, whether the feats of Gunslinger Jázon Marik became so legendary across the Inner Sphere in part because they came at the controls of a Thunderbolt.

In this way, these ancient BattleMechs have come full circle. Once, they were used to tear down the First League and carry out some of the worst atrocities ever committed by mankind. Now, they tie us to the glories of the past while achieving new triumphs in the League’s name, and help vent the ancient animosities of the Inner Sphere. Rather than view this document as evidence of the barbarism of those you now rule, perhaps consider it an epitaph of that barbarism.

In short, that the Clans and Inner Sphere have merged by 3250, and that while trueborn Mechwarriors still make up a lot of the SLDF Mechwarriors, that the gladiatorial games (like the old Gunslinger duels between the SLDF and the Draconis Combine Ronin pre-first star league fall), provide satiation for nation's grudges, while testing out MechWarriors for the SLDF . Clan Wolf has already started that, with Solaris acting as a feeder system to the Clan Wolf Touman. Jade Falcon would NOT want anything like that. Ever. So, it's likely that Wolf wins in some way, but how do we get from point A to Point B? I tried to map that out.

This probably comes off as one of those conspiracy theory bulletin boards, but I think I'm pretty solid in my guesses.

(And hoo boy, if the Steiner-Davion line ends up taking over the Inner Sphere under Alaric, the cries will be FIERCE)
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 07:19:51 by SirFozzie »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #154 on: 13 August 2020, 07:54:22 »
Clarion Call could not take out.
Maybe more dead then Sun Tzu Liao (wouldn't be surprised if Sunny Tzu put himself on ice ala Stone)

He did. This was revealed in the 2003 novel "By Temptations and By War" by Loren L. Coleman.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #155 on: 13 August 2020, 09:20:21 »
He did. This was revealed in the 2003 novel "By Temptations and By War" by Loren L. Coleman.

He became a meat popsicle . . . was it him or done to him to preserve him from injury?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #156 on: 13 August 2020, 09:26:36 »
He became a meat popsicle . . . was it him or done to him to preserve him from injury?

IIRC, he had already been diagnosed with some kind of degenerative illness, which prompted him to stage the whole "ascending to godhood" thing on Liao in 3113.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #157 on: 13 August 2020, 14:09:42 »
Jade Falcon is easy to take out. You just have to figure out a way to remove Malvina and her SaKhan nastily and fast. Preferably untraceably. Right now her followers cow to her so much they would either flock to the first leader they found or try to become that leader. It would be absolute chaos with the current mindset of the Falcons.

It's obvious that some sort of deal was made to combine both the Republic and a Clan (likely Wolf). If a decapitation strike against Malvina is impossible or unsuccessful, she will have to be stopped before Terra. She'll be happy to burn it to ashes to stand upon the highest point to proclaim her greatness. Just entering the system is an enormous risk. To prevent that the only way would be for Wolf and the Republic to combine.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

General308

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: 13 August 2020, 20:08:08 »
Ok. This is what I got from putting together the various text blurbs from Shattered Fortress, Era Digest: 3145, Rock of the Republic, etcetera.

Devlin Stone, as we all know, plans for EVERYTHING. He is a control freak of the HIGHEST nature. (For example, when they inform him that the Fidelis have been released. "THEY WERE MINE!").  He had a plan for the inner sphere that "I will fight no more forever." But he couldn't stand not being there when it happened, as he believes that only he can pull it off.

What we know:

Devlin Stone Created the Blackout Protocol (Clarion Call) before he was put on ice.

Devlin Stone did not actually ACTIVATE Clarion Call, as he was on ice.

He wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. (His reaction when being woken up for the first time "TOO SOON!"). Also, he was surprised by how quickly the Houses rearmed, and that the HPG networks were down when woken up. He asks Harwell "where are my live feeds of the prefecture governor's offices"

It is very likely that Clarion Call was set to go off when certain conditions were met (and would wake up Stone at that time so he could see what happens). For example "Once House military levels have been at peace for X years and reduced their forces to X amount")

So, the problem is that someone (Mr. X, I will assume Word of Blake for the purpose of discussion here) discovered those plans, and realized that yeah, this plan really could work. And if done NOW, instead of "when the stars are right", that the Republic would suffer along with the other Houses. So, they launched some of their Hidden Forces at the HPG's that Clarion Call could not take out.

So, a defrosted Stone is trying to project like "The plan is fine, we're going to stop them at Terra and then recover all the worlds we lost, and then some!".. because well, that's all he really has left to play.  But he keeps running the numbers, and they just can't. They could defeat Clan Wolf. Or Clan Jade Falcon. Or the Capellan Confederation. Or the Draconis Combine. They MIGHT stop two of the four. MAYBE. They CAN'T stop all four. So, he has to try to reduce the amount of fronts he's facing. By giving Julian Davion a relatively small amount of forces, it A) distracts the Combine, which was actively trying to breach the Fortress, and B) Davion might feel obliged to send forces to help. It seems to be working, as the Dragon's tounge is being Chopped into pieces, and it's safe to say that the Dragon is.. distracted.

The Capellans are being held at Northwind, which keeps them from being a contender for Terra, right now at least. But they're still going to be coming, eventually. So that's only a partial win.

So, the two immediate threats are the two major Clans. Wolf and Jade Falcon. And Stone has pretty much admitted that the Republic, in its current form, is dead. Deader then disco. Deader then Hanse Davion. Maybe more dead then Sun Tzu Liao (wouldn't be surprised if Sunny Tzu put himself on ice ala Stone)

Stone (to Harwell): You don’t see it because you’ve been approaching the problem from the wrong direction. You believe we’ve been trying to preserve the Republic all this time? What if I told you the Republic can’t be restored to what it was? What if I told you that the best way forward might be to forge the Republic into something new and different?

Does anyone think that Stone can make a deal with the Jade Falcons? (you may laugh here, if you wish. I did)

Does anyone think that if Devlin Stone goes to Alaric Ward and says: "Rather then the two of us warring and Jade Falcon taking out the winner, how about this. You and me fight. If I win, the Wolf Clan becomes the Republic Defense Force. As part of the Republic, Clan Wolf is the ilClan, and can rally the less insane members of the Clans to accept. If you win, mostly the same, except that the Star League/Republic Defense Force has supreme military command over the Inner Sphere", that Alaric wouldn't accept?

The numbers game weighs heavily on Alaric's mind. Which means that he's desperately trying to get more forces. Such as Wolf's Dragoons. Such as the remnants of Wolf-In-Exile. (would that be where Anastasia Kerensky is going?). Such as the Kell Hounds? (Garner Kerensky returned in Divided We Fall from such a mission). Such as the Fidelis.

Now, let's say we add in the Davion/Republic armies. That's... a pretty impressive coalition. Not enough to steamroll the Jade Falcons on Earth. But enough to HOLD? Enough to send them fleeing (which just reinforces Clan Wolf, Kerensky's Legacy, as the ilClan).

All of which could conceivably lead to the situation described in the future of the TRO:Succession Wars Prologue, where they write to the IlKhan:

That moreover, the re-employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system has helped quell the inherent hostility and intransigence of the freebirth masses of the Inner Sphere. The enormous change they have experienced has been eased both by these gladiatorial contests and by the sight of familiar ’Mechs competing in them. Such machines also provide an effective baseline for the evaluation of potential MechWarriors in the contests, given the [rohibition against the use of modern technology by the faux warriors. Finally, the familiarity of these ’Mechs provides a bridge for Spheroid citizens between the past and the present. One wonders, for example, whether the feats of Gunslinger Jázon Marik became so legendary across the Inner Sphere in part because they came at the controls of a Thunderbolt.

In this way, these ancient BattleMechs have come full circle. Once, they were used to tear down the First League and carry out some of the worst atrocities ever committed by mankind. Now, they tie us to the glories of the past while achieving new triumphs in the League’s name, and help vent the ancient animosities of the Inner Sphere. Rather than view this document as evidence of the barbarism of those you now rule, perhaps consider it an epitaph of that barbarism.

In short, that the Clans and Inner Sphere have merged by 3250, and that while trueborn Mechwarriors still make up a lot of the SLDF Mechwarriors, that the gladiatorial games (like the old Gunslinger duels between the SLDF and the Draconis Combine Ronin pre-first star league fall), provide satiation for nation's grudges, while testing out MechWarriors for the SLDF . Clan Wolf has already started that, with Solaris acting as a feeder system to the Clan Wolf Touman. Jade Falcon would NOT want anything like that. Ever. So, it's likely that Wolf wins in some way, but how do we get from point A to Point B? I tried to map that out.

This probably comes off as one of those conspiracy theory bulletin boards, but I think I'm pretty solid in my guesses.

(And hoo boy, if the Steiner-Davion line ends up taking over the Inner Sphere under Alaric, the cries will be FIERCE)

Maybe Stone calls in the missing WoB Shadow Divisions

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 13 August 2020, 20:32:16 »
Maybe Stone calls in the missing WoB Shadow Divisions
Brothers I need help now to keep our goal alive
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #160 on: 13 August 2020, 22:27:26 »

The ancient Prophecy of Activision moves closer to its fruition...

Quote from: MechWarrior (1989)
Between the Fall of the ancient Star League and the Rise of the Heirs of Steiner-Davion there lived an age of war unlike any before or since...

:P

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #161 on: 14 August 2020, 04:48:42 »
Honestly with the next fiction dealing with the Jade Falcons, I don't think it's going to be something external that takes out Hazen. Most likely, I would guess the main character of the next story rebels against Hazen after the attack on earth fails and takes over the clan, and leads the Jade Falcons into joining the ilClan

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #162 on: 14 August 2020, 04:51:28 »
Pretty sure Hazen is gonna get killed by her "pet"...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 14 August 2020, 05:35:55 »
Pretty sure Hazen is gonna get killed by her "pet"...
My thoughts, too. However, it's too obvious, so it won't happen.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #164 on: 14 August 2020, 06:40:49 »

So if Alaric takes over what would essentially be the Terran Hegemony v4.0 (TH, WoB, RotS being the first 3) - and then the IS by being head of the Star League v3.0 how many thones would it be that the Steiner-Davion line control or have controlled since 3050?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #165 on: 14 August 2020, 10:05:42 »
By blood Alaric could have a tie to everyone but the Cappies . . .

Kitsune Kurita- half brother
Isis Marik's kids- half sibs
of course the FedCom, a cousin even sits the Lyran throne at present
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #166 on: 14 August 2020, 10:41:44 »
By blood Alaric could have a tie to everyone but the Cappies . . .

Kitsune Kurita- half brother
Isis Marik's kids- half sibs
of course the FedCom, a cousin even sits the Lyran throne at present

Weren't there canon rumors about Sun-Tzu being genetically descended from Hanse and not Shang? I mean, if true, that would mean Davion-Steiner DNA is everywhere, willing or not.
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #167 on: 14 August 2020, 10:46:11 »
Yeah . . . or back to my page 1 speculation . . . the reason Lakewood knows of Caleb's encounter with Danai is a teenager- who would be a Steiner-Davion-Liao.
Colt Ward

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #168 on: 14 August 2020, 14:37:09 »
Yeah . . . or back to my page 1 speculation . . . the reason Lakewood knows of Caleb's encounter with Danai is a teenager- who would be a Steiner-Davion-Liao.

That poor hypothetical kid! Imagine having to write out your full name and it being Scott Centrella-Liao-Centrella-Liao-Hasek-Sandoval-Steiner-Davion...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #169 on: 14 August 2020, 15:00:02 »
That poor hypothetical kid! Imagine having to write out your full name and it being Scott Centrella-Liao-Centrella-Liao-Hasek-Sandoval-Steiner-Davion...
They're likely to change his surname to protect him like Scott Pilgrim.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #170 on: 14 August 2020, 15:45:33 »
No kurita or Marik in that surname makes him a losing proposition.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #171 on: 14 August 2020, 16:09:22 »
All that matters is he is related to the throne by blood.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #172 on: 14 August 2020, 16:45:36 »
Denying legitimacy because of not having the matching last name is like Eddie Izzard’s you don’t have a flag bit

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 15 August 2020, 11:10:55 »

We just got that as a answer, lol

If I needed more of a reason to get the ilClan book....

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #174 on: 28 August 2020, 23:02:45 »
How about this idea....

Store is doesn't have Lear around to advise him, which is why he freeze-dried himself and is acting the way he is. Maybe David Lear needs more credit.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 28 August 2020, 23:26:54 »
... yeah I think we have been pretty clear that it was a joint effort, with one compensating for some of the weaknesses of the other.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #176 on: 29 August 2020, 00:55:03 »
Lear was his WOB adviser/handler of course without him he is lost

Register