Author Topic: Emergence (Sybil Reboot, Pt 1)  (Read 24068 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Emergence (Sybil Reboot, Pt 1)
« Reply #60 on: 05 July 2020, 07:24:03 »
Gio, you must have been saving lots of money on smartphones and PDAs over the previous decade ... 8)  :thumbsup:

The exact opposite, actually.  Hell, I normally carry two phones on me: my Lumia 950, which I love, and an LG G6, which constantly reminds me of everything I hate about Android.

And my gaggle of HP palmtops is starting to resemble a museum collection.

Sad to that you got stung by a Microsoft bug. :o

I've had Windows-based mobile devices of one kind or another since 1996, but have used others as well.  Like Blackberry.  And PalmOS.  And webOS.  And Android.  And iOS.

I do wish to comment on your choice HP Jornada 680e, though, that using a HP 200LX (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_200LX) would be more in-sync with BT's in-universe personal IT, I would think ...  ^-^

The keyboard on the Jornada 680-720 is significantly better than on my 360LX or 620LX, and is surprisingly comparable to the larger NEC Mobilepro 880 for usability (my 880 is mostly dead, sadly).

I tried using my 100LX (the 200LX market is too insane for my budget) in the past, and found some weird formatting artifacts when using the basic Memo app or even Word 5.5, like in how CRLFs get passed in forum posts.

IIRC, the problem was much the same on my HP OmniGo 100's GEOS-based editor, with the added fun of it only writing documents to the external storage card when the document started there in the first place.

I haven't tried it with my 95LX yet, since the keyboards on the 95LX, 100LX and OmniGo 100 are all basically tiny, which is the first strike, I'm not confident the 95LX's text editor won't have the same artifacts for forum posting that I'll need to clean up again, and the 95LX lacks driver support for flash memory cards anyway, forcing me to use a 512KB SRAM card, and another device, like my 360LX, as an intermediary to transfer files back and forth with a compact flash my more modern devices can read. The Sundisk driver has been unable to read my 32MB SanDisk CF card, too, which is irritating.

And don't get me started on the accessory market for the HP-71b, which is just outrageous, which makes it impossible for me to transfer anything to and from mine.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 05 July 2020, 10:18:00 »
It could be the last windows update. Ever since then, across 3 of my computers for work and home, 8, 8, and windows 10- different word and office files including old files have been corrupted or showing as corrupted when I try to open them. I have tracked it to windows latest attempt at antiransomware, the controlled folder access. Namely, windows is now holding my files hostage. 

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 05 July 2020, 12:08:20 »
Nah.  Jornada runs Windows CE 2.11.  It's old tech.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 06 July 2020, 03:05:01 »
Captain's Office, SLS Sybil Ludington
Neptune Mothball Yards, Sol System, 2760-07-20

As an antiquated heavy cruiser, the Aegis class, as built, lacked flag facilities, at least until the ships got refit in 2582 with smaller equipment, where the SLDF Bureau of Ship Design, BuShips, added flag facilities along with their zero-gee swimming pool.  Noriko had therefore taken over the captain's office, off the main bridge of the Sybil Ludington, where she was currently once again going through the massive pile of paperwork that had built up on her noteputer.

There were days, Noriko though, that she felt like the upper echelons of SLDF leadership were not terribly supportive of the M-12, her current project.  Generally, that feeling crept up on any day of the week that ended in "y".

Things had started well enough.  Aaron DeChavilier was right, the THS Sybil Ludington had been Noriko's best choice, and the old Aegis class had been well tended to by the mothball yard's crews over the centuries.  The small team she'd brought with her on her DropShuttle had worked with the local crews to start waking up the ship's systems that were still in good shape, and identifying the ones that would need overhaul.

Some things needed little to no work.  The ship's stationkeeping and RCS thrusters were in good shape, because they were useful to Neptune Yards crews to keep ships from drifting into each other.  Even the Sybil Ludington's primary fuel bunkers were in good shape, passing pressurization tests, and were now filled with a thousand tons of liquid hydrogen.  If Noriko needed to move the old cruiser, the Sybil Ludington would be able to get underway at a stately one-tenth gravity of acceleration.

Leaving the Sol system, on the other hand, would be a bit more difficult.  Besides their jump navigation database being centuries out of date, yard crews were still scavenging parts to replace questionable drive controller components from stored spares.  The good news was the actual core of the Mark XIX Kearny-Fuchida jump drive was intact - getting the Sybil Ludington to be able to jump again was, essentially, a computer problem, one her team and the yard crew was well-equipped to resolve.

From there, though, things got complicated.  Nobody could find any trace of what had happened to the old cruiser's class-10 naval autocannons.  At first, Noriko didn't mind too much, as it seemed the perfect opportunity to upgrade the Sybil Ludington to 2582 refit standards, only to be expressly shot down when she tried to requisition the parts to do so.  From what she'd been able to discern, the SLDF Bureau of Ship Design had signed off on the idea, since production of spares for the refit Aegis were far easier to come by, only to reverse course just days later.  After the BuShips rejection, she got a separate letter from Aaron, apologizing, but suggesting she not push for weapons upgrades.

"Fine," Noriko had decided, "we'll just make the original loadout work."  That, at least, wouldn't require signoff from BuShips, just a requisition from the Quartermaster's Office.  So, she submitted her request for sixty Luxor-10 naval autocannons, which would allow her team to replace the old cruiser's original autocannons mounted on the Sybil Ludington, and leave them a dozen to spare.  The request was denied, on the grounds that the Congress class frigates used Armstrong LN-10s, not Luxor-10s.

So, Noriko resubmitted her request, noting that the Sybil Ludington was an Aegis class heavy cruiser, not a Congress class frigate.  Her order was once again denied, noting that, no, the SLS Luddington was a Congress class, not an Aegis class, and not in her chain of command, anyway.  What was she trying to pull?

Noriko tried a third time, noting the hull number of the antiquated vessel, even including photographs.  The Quartermaster's Office denied her a third time, noting that, no, the Aegis class didn't use the Luxor-10 anymore, either, and hadn't in ages.  They were refit to the Armstrong II 35-Series and Imperator-20 naval autocannons.  Was Noriko sure she didn't want those?  "Those would be fine," Noriko noted, "if this was a refit Aegis, but this ship hadn't gotten the 2582 refit, and BuShips hadn't approved that refit for the Sybil Ludington.  Can I please have my Luxor-10s?"

Once again, the Quartermaster's Office denied her order, noting there were no active vessels in the SLDF named the SLS Sybil Ludington with that hull number.  Did she mean the SLS Luddington, the Congress class frigate?

Finally, on the fifth order request, Noriko noted once again that this was a reactivated Terran Hegemony Aegis that had never been refitted, wasn't approved for the weapons upgrade of the 2582 refit package, provided the Sybil Ludington's hull number, her budget number for the M-12 Project, and location at Neptune Mothball Yards where the autocannons should be sent.

Which, of course, is why they were being sent to meet the SLS Luddington at Columbus Base, in the Epsilon Pegasus system.  Six hundred and ninety light-years away.  Except, and she checked, the Luddington was being reassigned anyway, and probably wouldn't be there in the nearly six months the delivery would take.  She was still trying to get it corrected before the oreder was actually assembled and shipped, but she wasn't getting her hopes up at this point.

As Noriko pondered her current misfortunes, the door to her office chimed.  "Enter," she commanded.

Noriko's aide, Daniel Carpentier, maneuvered himself into the room, taking one of the guest seats.  "Thought you might want some good news for a change, Admiral."

"Oh?  Do tell."

Daniel looked at his own compad briefly.  "First, Commander Montgomery reports that the system bus in the primary and secondary server rooms are compatible with the SDS computer racks, so the personality core racks we brought with us on the shuttle should be no problem to connect.  In fact, he says we can do that whenever you're ready."

Noriko smiled.  "That is good news.  What else?"

"Nirasaki Computers Collective got the approved work order from BuShips, and should be here in two weeks with the additional SDS control gear and a team of experts to help install it," David replied, forwarding the message to Noriko's noteputer.  "Their engineers said that, if the SDS gear is compatible with the 2372 spec bus on the Aegis, they should be able to have everything installed in a month."

Noriko opened the message on her noteputer, scanning through it.  "And Montgomery says it's compatible, so a month might even be accurate.  That's excellent news...wait, what's this about new repair drones?"

"They have a new prototype repair drone system.  Cold gas thrusters for microgravity maneuvering and vaccuum rating, with two built-in manipulator arms, but also quadrupedal legs for operating under thrust.  But, the new models are also rated for ground operations, with a light armor and armament for XCT exploration duties.  Has independent robotic controls, but can interface directly with the SDS AI for more complicated operations.  And, take a look at the schematic diagram," David said, smiling.

Noriko studied the spiderlike machine's schematics for several seconds, finally looking at the diagram of its oversized abdomen.  "Is that...that's a pilot's compartment!" she finally said, stunned.

"Yup.  Third mode of operation, it can be manually piloted, or the onboard passenger can use voice command to direct the internal robotic controls.  Supposed to allow science teams an all-terrain sealed XCT vehicle that can operate planetside to support exploration and colonization efforts."

"Daniel, this is a mini-'Mech.  A battery-powered, quadrupedal mini-'Mech.  This is amazing.  How many are they sending us?"

"Just four," Daniel replied.  "If they work out, they'll replace the previous drones entirely, and given the mission profile of the M-12, they intend to supply us with minifacturing equipment to produce parts, maybe even whole units.  Said it probably won't mass more than a couple hundred tons."

Noriko just stared at the schematics for a moment.  "That's fantastic news.  Let's hope these 'Tachikomas' live up to the hype."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #64 on: 06 July 2020, 03:49:44 »
nice little callback to the old continuity with the Congress class Ludington.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2020, 03:51:30 by glitterboy2098 »

jonen c

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 06 July 2020, 04:32:51 »
Question is whether QM office are actually that dense, or if they've been... Encouraged to be that dense.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #66 on: 06 July 2020, 04:44:40 »
Really nice piece.  It would be interesting if Sybil met Sybil  ;D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #67 on: 06 July 2020, 04:46:27 »
The old saw about "never attributing to malice that which can be explained by stupidity" not withstanding, the QM office seems to have a rotating set of excuses here...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 06 July 2020, 05:49:03 »
As my wife, who had flashbacks to her time with a defense contractor reading that part said, "It's bureaucracy."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 06 July 2020, 05:53:40 »
I can only wish it was flashbacks... I live it every day, it seems...  :P

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #70 on: 06 July 2020, 08:42:15 »
That's why most ship and military base have a ''Supply officer''.  ^-^ ^-^

Of course, he's normally on a tight leash an more deniable then a Mission Impossible agent but if the QM denies you toilet paper...  ;D 

jonen c

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 06 July 2020, 09:31:04 »
The old saw about "never attributing to malice that which can be explained by stupidity" not withstanding, the QM office seems to have a rotating set of excuses here...
Course, it could be worse than just incompetence or malice.

It could be someone caught the mood of higher towards this project and has decided to show initiative. Malice and incompetence.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 06 July 2020, 09:44:15 »
Right up there for "worst combination ever"...  8)

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 06 July 2020, 11:49:27 »
   Bureaucracy or Bureaucraticfare one is the nature state of large organizations without accountability, the other is weaponization of the administrative systems.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #74 on: 06 July 2020, 20:10:08 »
And of course, trying to salvage equipment off a sister ship in the Bone Yard would require additional techs and resources.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #75 on: 07 July 2020, 06:32:44 »
What logistic nightmare.  Might well have the Sybil show up and say "HEY! THIS SHIP!  Not that shellback turtle looking thing!"

I wonder if one of the Tachikomas mini-mechs, is going to have a sassy personality like the one Batou used to make his personal tank.

I wonder if they will ever get the NACs.  They will properly have to wait until Tuesday.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #76 on: 07 July 2020, 06:57:06 »
You need to get onto Bupers and request one Lt. (JG) Nicholas "Nick" Holden be transferred to the crew. He's very... creative, when it comes to cutting through bureaucratic red-tape
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #77 on: 07 July 2020, 10:53:38 »
I wonder if they will ever get the NACs.  They will properly have to wait until Tuesday.
Well ig they can't get any then they should just 'acquire' some weapons, any other ships nearby?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #78 on: 07 July 2020, 12:42:34 »
When working with the Quartermaster Supply,

First thing when talking to Supply is verify you are using the same catalog.

Second when you come up with a ship that has the same name, you goto the build plate on the quarterdeck and verify with pictures the build date. The Plate should list each overhaul, and have a BuPers S/N on the bottom that is unique for all hulls, even if you have a ship with same Ship number and name, which may not be unique.

IE USS Enterprise for none unique names.
also there have been submarines with same issued hull number and name. Can't remember the name, but was a submarine that was damaged by fire and then flooding in shipyard next to pier, Was christened, but not commissioned. So Shipyard, slipped the name and hull number to next new construction. Two different Subs, Same Class but one was a Gato, but other was a Trench. Same Hull number, Same Name, different Build Serial Numbers.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 31 July 2020, 16:36:54 »
That's why most ship and military base have a ''Supply officer''.  ^-^ ^-^

Of course, he's normally on a tight leash an more deniable then a Mission Impossible agent but if the QM denies you toilet paper...  ;D
No no no... never does a military or civilian group have anyone who job it it is "aquire" items of value for the boss.  Sgt Bilko is lie spread by people who do't know how supply works.

that why you learn who can help you cut though the red tape to get what you need
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #80 on: 31 July 2020, 17:45:00 »
there are never any official people doing end runs of the supply system. and the unofficial ones would tend to focus on amenities and other minor items (foodstuffs, specific kinds of magazines, etc, if not outright contraband) they can acquire without involving the actual supply chain.
but i'd imagine that most units have at least one person who knows the ins and outs of the supply system very well and knows how to cut through the excess red tape.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #81 on: 31 July 2020, 18:03:50 »
I try to base my ''supply officers'' on Tony Curtis in the movie Operation Petticoat  ;D

The way he plays his character, I'm always wondering if he's not playing himself.  ;D ;D ;D 

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #82 on: 31 July 2020, 23:32:17 »
You need to get onto Bupers and request one Lt. (JG) Nicholas "Nick" Holden be transferred to the crew. He's very... creative, when it comes to cutting through bureaucratic red-tape
I try to base my ''supply officers'' on Tony Curtis in the movie Operation Petticoat  ;D

The way he plays his character, I'm always wondering if he's not playing himself.  ;D ;D ;D 
Yep. Considering that Curtis was aboard a Submarine Tender at Tokyo Bay, it may have been an exaggeration, but it's far too plausible. And you never want to run out of toilet paper.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 04 August 2020, 04:18:48 »
Main Server Room, SLS Sybil Ludington
Neptune Mothball Yards, Sol System, 2760-09-14

Even in the 24th Century, WarShips didn't need to have their server rooms constantly staffed.  High availability server clusters, fault-tolerant storage systems and even "self-healing" servers had been a thing as far back as the 1970s, something Admiral Noriko Murakami, one of the premier computer scientists in the Inner Sphere, was deeply familiar with.  The technology might evolve over the centuries, but some fundamental principles remained unchanged.

That said, this was a WarShip, and WarShips expected to take damage, and require damage control.  It was little surprise, then, that small control rooms, like the one Noriko was presently in, were present in each of the Sybil Ludington's primary and secondary server rooms, or that even a 2372-spec Aegis had enough distributed computing power outside these rooms to function in the event both were destroyed by enemy fire.

What Nirasaki Computers Collective had done over the past few weeks was to take the concept of distributed computing, and turn it up to eleven.  Nirasaki engineers had assisted Neptune Yards crews in removing old hardware, in order to replace them with smaller, more efficient server systems, with vastly improved performance compared to the originals, whether measured in performance per watt, per cubic meter or per kilogram.

Even better, whether racked in the server rooms, or distributed throughout the hull, each micro-server "blade" was identical, with identical internal storage, processing power, layout, power connectors, and fittings.  Only one kind of spare, then, would be needed for any particular system, no matter where it was.  What the servers lacked in specialization, they made up in quantity.  To say there were thousands of such micro-servers would not be understating things.

The architect behind this design, Jonathan Finch, sat in the small room with Noriko, cautiously monitoring the readouts of the console in front of him.  The head of the Nirasaki team aboard the Sybil Ludington, Finch radiated a quiet intensity, his every action precise and deliberate.  What he'd led his team to complete over the past few weeks was astonishing.  Without even looking up from the console in front of him, Finch said, "We have 100% readings on all systems, and are ready to switch from local control and SDS in monitoring mode to full control mode whenever you're ready.  All we need now is to activate the central SDS AI.  Are you certain that not using the Dvarahal-based M-5 AI baseline and starting over is what you want to do, Admiral?"

Noriko sighed.  "I'm certain, Mister Finch.  Admiral Dvarahal had many fine points, was a gifted strategist and tactician, but also had a mindset that tended towards agressiveness.  That's fine for an M-5, which run in pods like Terran orcas, and agressively defend their territory against intruders.  They're not ones for subtletly, they're not expected to escort civilian ships for weeks, months or even years at a time, and most importantly, they're not meant to work daily with a human crew.  That's not something an M-5's AI would be good at."

"Who do you intend to use as the basis of the neural mapping for the new AI, then?" Finch asked, concern edging into his voice.

"If I could, I’d use no one at all," she replied evenly.  "I’d intended to use a purpose-built core personality built from the ground-up for the role."

Finch frowned. "Our colleagues at Ulsop Robotics tried that route," he noted dryly.  "It didn't exactly go well for them.  For that matter, it didn’t truly go that well for the Black Wasp or Voidseeker programs, but the semi-disposable nature of drone aerospace fighters makes their failures acceptable."

“That’s true,” Noriko agreed.  “But, I’d like to think we’ve learned a thing or two since then, though, Mister Finch.  And that’s one of the reasons why I don’t want the Sybil Ludington’s AI to be based on the neural mappings of a human being.  As we’ve seen with the M-4s, and their tendencies toward what could be best described as depression and moroseness, and the notable aggression of the M-5s when they’re off the leash, as well as the way they both go absolutely berserk when they’re active during a jump, the biggest problem with our SDS AIs is the human factor.  They’re too much like us.  They don’t just share our self-awareness, our rules, our code of conduct, our standards of behavior, Mister Finch.  They share our flaws, as well.  We need to do better.”

“Better, Admiral?  There is so much inherent risk in that statement.”

“Don’t I know it,” Noriko said, chuckling mirthlessly.  “Are you familiar with the speculative and science fiction of the 20th Century, Mister Finch.  Specifically with some of the depictions of artificial intelligence?”

Finch nodded.  “I have some passing familiarity with the topic.  Most of it fell deeply into the category that artificial general intelligence was exceedingly dangerous, and liable to wipe out humanity, given the opportunity.”

“But not all of it.”

“No, not all of it,” Finch conceded. “There was a smaller subset of fiction that speculated super-intelligent AIs would save us all, simply by the benefit of being smarter than us.”

“And your own thoughts on the matter, Mister Finch?” Noriko asked curiously.

“I believe that artificial intelligence can be both a great benefit and a terrible threat to humanity, and that it’s up to us to use this technology responsibly, to ensure they neither control us or destroy us.”

Noriko nodded, silent for several seconds. “Have you ever read the works of Laumer?  They’re a bit more militaristic in theme, but still relevant to the topic.”

“Yes, but they always seemed a bit facile to me,” Finch noted.

“Perhaps that’s true,” Noriko replied, “but there’s something to be said for the concept.  An artificial intelligence that, while it doesn’t see the universe the same way a human does, shares our values, and is dedicated to the concept of shielding and protecting humanity.”

“Admiral,” Finch said patiently, “those are admirable goals, but you’re still trying to instill humanity in the machine.  There’s a simpler, more straightforward method to do so, and I think we both know what it is.  It’s what's installed in those servers you first brought aboard, and it’s currently working, perfectly fine, aboard several M-11 Da Vinci series yard ships, even as we carry on this fascinating conversation.”

“That’s my backup plan,” Noriko admitted.

“Make it your primary plan.  It will work.  It does work.  Refine it, improve it, teach it better, yes, but it’s a functioning starting point, Admiral.”

“Do you know the source of the base engrams for the M-11 AI, Mister Finch?” Noriko asked quietly.

“I do,” Finch admitted.  “I also know the Draconis Combine is trying it your way, as well, and trying to develop an artificial intelligence that isn’t burdened by human developmental defects.  They aren’t making much progress, despite the absolute brilliance of our acquaintance at Chitose Industries.”

“So that’s what Aoki is up to?” Noriko asked.

“That is my understanding, Admiral.  Of course, as brilliant as Doctor Aoki is, he’s probably at least twenty years away from a true breakthrough.  It’s possible you might be able to solve the issue before then, Admiral, but I think it’s entirely likely we won’t have that long.”

“I’m not certain what you mean,” Noriko said dubiously.

“The Star League Defense Force does not have a monopoly on predictive artificial intelligence, Admiral.  The Inner Sphere is heading towards a potential catastrophe that will shake the very pillars of civilization, and the M-11 Project makes it clear that the Star League, at the very least, is terrified of that possibility.  I’m terrified of that possibility, Admiral.  And mutual acquaintances make it clear that you’re terrified of that possibility as well.  Don’t let the fact that the M-11 AI borrowed some of your memory engrams stop you from using it on the Sybil Ludington.”
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 12:32:14 by Giovanni Blasini »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 04 August 2020, 06:22:00 »
So its possible that this ship ai their working on will end up like Groundbreaker and possibly become Teletran1 or Vector Sigma.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #85 on: 07 August 2020, 20:13:44 »
Nice.

A Bolo M-6 would be interesting.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 07 August 2020, 20:26:07 »
I am more interested in what the M-11 Da Vinci Yardship drones are about. Maybe the creation of the Freedom and Liberty Deep Space networks? And what would their backup directives be if the block E "upgrades" be attempted on them?

Food for thought.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 07 August 2020, 20:37:34 »
I am more interested in what the M-11 Da Vinci Yardship drones are about. Maybe the creation of the Freedom and Liberty Deep Space networks? And what would their backup directives be if the block E "upgrades" be attempted on them?

Food for thought.

Good question.  The M-11 Da Vinci is actually canon, though not described in any detail, other than being a modified Newgrange class with an SDS drone control system to assist, but not replace, the crew.  They're mentioned two separate places:

• Era Report 2750, which mentions the Pygmalion project and drone Newgranges
  • In Interstellar Operations, on page 136, which lists the M-11 in more detail.

Everything else from there is pure speculation on my part.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #88 on: 07 August 2020, 22:29:22 »
From Interstellar Operations pg. 136
“and would allow a skeleton crew to service drones and remote stations across the Hegemony without the need for costly yard time.”

I could see the E block upgrades come out of committee and go to the engineers and AI on the Da Vinci’s (which are Hegemony limited aka Royal service) and immediately be cursed at and over. It would not be seen as an upgrade, but a downgrade. A throwback to the Older blocks with limiting the drones with additional hardwired oversight and tactical limitations forcing aggression within those borders, even beyond original bounds. (And then the SLDF Navy ossifies into operating within those operational restraints, so instead of tactical jumping and out of the box thinking, the SLN would perform a campaign of grinding fighting that panders into the drones tactical boundaries.)

An Engineer or Engineering AI would look at the committee designed block E design, relabel it block B 2.0,  go into exposed bugs and design bug-fixes along with a secondary oversight AI to keep targetting parameters and aggression correctly focused (using proven parts- the Da Vinci AI matrix, to form a targetting double check and leash on aggression) and label that the E block upgrade. And have the M-11s provide modified blueprints to modify the M-3 and M-5 drones as they do their duties.

I could see the M-11 going about their continued business, upgrading the drone they work with an actual upgrade with a secondary AI providing oversight instead of committee written directives that fail to achieve their purpose.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 22:35:02 by Kyryst »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #89 on: 07 August 2020, 23:03:30 »
Excellent updates and very logical too! As you said, you can bet the other Houses were working on AI's of their own and there's the risk there of them going full Terminator.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register