Author Topic: expanded repair and salvage rules (AS Companion) vs WP  (Read 1412 times)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Hello there. I just started the Wolf & Blake campaign, so far using the AS rules, but I wanted to add more details to the between missions phase.
Reading the Exp Rep & Salvage rules found in the companion, one must first calculate the starting SP of the force. I made two experiments:

12 battlemech (12.000) x veteran (1.25) x WoB affiliation (1.5)= 22.500 SP.

12 battlemech (12.000) x veteran (1.25) x Merc affiliation (0.5)= 7.500 SP.

Now, if we convert this to WP so we can pay for a mission and option, we have that the starting WP for the WoB force is 2.250, and for the Mercenaries is 750.

If we take in consideration that the standard starting force WP is 1.000, then the Mercs are handicapped below that value, and the WoB is above twice that value.

Are my observations correct? Did I miss something? Did anyone tried this campaign rules?
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Re: expanded repair and salvage rules (AS Companion) vs WP
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2020, 16:03:45 »
Your observations look correct to me, though its more like three times the difference (3x 0.5 = 1.5).

I don't normally play with the Force multipliers from the ASC as I have a mix of InnerSphere and Clan forces playing in post-Jihad eras (where the Word of Blake isn't supposed to exist) but considering other closed timeframes/eras, ComStar has a TON of potential wealth and resources it has sequestered over the various Succession Wars... years upon years of storing materiel and rare/unique relics of the Star League era.  So try not to associate the modifier with the Word so much that you forget that they were once a unified force (before the Clans showed up).

If you have to head-canon anything, consider having a Major house backing up the Mercenaries rather than them striking out on their own. [Back at the x1.00 multiplier instead of x0.5]  That way it should close the gap without being completely equal footing.
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2020, 16:32:48 »
It is also worth consider that, in the ASC, the term "Unit" may reference "sub-force" rather than the individual model(s).  Force Organization is key, having recently re-read Chaos Campaign and the Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars PDFs for reference (for playing TotalWarfare).

If there's just 12 battlemechs for both forces, and if the Mercenaries organize a "unit" by Lances (4) rather than Level IIs (6) the values will shift.

12,000 SP x 1.25 Veteran = 15,000;
. /4 = 3,750 x 0.5 Mercenaries = 1,875 starting SPs
. /6 = 2,500 x 1.5 ComStar/WoB = 3,750 starting SPs

This way is certainly closer to half as previously observed, and equal if the Merks are backed by a major house (underlined, as in my last comment).  ...There's a lot to consider from all available sources, so I don't mean to make it sound confusing or more complicated than necessary.  Hope this helps.
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2020, 21:37:36 »
If there's just 12 battlemechs for both forces, and if the Mercenaries organize a "unit" by Lances (4) rather than Level IIs (6) the values will shift.

12,000 SP x 1.25 Veteran = 15,000;
. /4 = 3,750 x 0.5 Mercenaries = 1,875 starting SPs
. /6 = 2,500 x 1.5 ComStar/WoB = 3,750 starting SPs

This way is certainly closer to half as previously observed, and equal if the Merks are backed by a major house (underlined, as in my last comment).  ...There's a lot to consider from all available sources, so I don't mean to make it sound confusing or more complicated than necessary.  Hope this helps.

The divisor by "Subformation Type" helps to decrease the gap between both Starting Support Points. But you skipped the convertion from SP to WP, which divides those amounts by 10, giving us 187 and 375 WP. Giving that the cheapest generic mission (per Total Chaos campaign) cost 200 WP, the Mercs still loose on the convertion.

If we keep the numbers as you did (without dividing by 10), perhaps the solution should be to double the costs (and rewards) of the missions.

As you stated, we have a lot of sources to consider.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles