Author Topic: Seeking Input for a digital record sheet for AToW  (Read 24078 times)

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
Re: Seeking Input for a digital record sheet for AToW
« Reply #150 on: 25 February 2022, 08:26:46 »
And please don't hesitate to ask about any feature or situation. I'm wanting to keep it to official only so if it's something that can apply to a situation while following the rules, I'll do my best to get it in.

GM assigning XP for whatever reason definitely qualifies and, from my perspective, doesn't break the rules. A lot of grey area here that allows for players to play their way and still be "within the rules".

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #151 on: 25 February 2022, 09:48:30 »
I know it's a potentially down the road thing but something I'd suggest adding is a way for users to enter some of the various subskills where a truly comprehensive list is prohibitive.  Main examples being Language and Interest.  The real headache part will be supporting Natural Aptitude for those or making sure there is support for having more than one custom entry possible.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #152 on: 25 February 2022, 09:54:33 »
For skills that have an 'Any' or 'Various', it can be filled in. Language I left as a defined list based on the ones I found in the AToW core rule book. But should be extendable to allow for either/or.

Will have to eventually look at the automation for Natural Aptitude (and similar) as time moves on.

Will probably consider others based on how exhaustive the list is.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #153 on: 07 March 2022, 17:37:12 »
I was having an issues entering a negative Reputation and not sure how to add descriptions to my multiple Compulsions.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #154 on: 07 March 2022, 18:20:38 »
I was having an issues entering a negative Reputation and not sure how to add descriptions to my multiple Compulsions.

Noted and added as an issue to make sure I fix it.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #155 on: 07 March 2022, 20:15:56 »
Also have you not added in the Phenotypes yet? I didn't see where to pick MechWarrior. I only saw the base trait. It looks like I picked the worst character from my list that I am currently playing to try building first. Trueborn and the Field Aptitudes that come with it plus Exceptional Attribute, plus a few other cheesy things that our 2D10 Heretic group allows.

Is there a way to delete characters I missed? Then I can bring in my more "normal" characters and see how they look. Not that I can use the characters in my game, I would need custom Attribute Link Modifiers, Skill TNs adjusted to the 2D10 not the current 2D6, and Field Aptitude in our game is 20% reduction in XP cost (like MW3) rather than just -1TN.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #156 on: 07 March 2022, 21:39:28 »
Also have you not added in the Phenotypes yet? I didn't see where to pick MechWarrior. I only saw the base trait. It looks like I picked the worst character from my list that I am currently playing to try building first. Trueborn and the Field Aptitudes that come with it plus Exceptional Attribute, plus a few other cheesy things that our 2D10 Heretic group allows.

Is there a way to delete characters I missed? Then I can bring in my more "normal" characters and see how they look. Not that I can use the characters in my game, I would need custom Attribute Link Modifiers, Skill TNs adjusted to the 2D10 not the current 2D6, and Field Aptitude in our game is 20% reduction in XP cost (like MW3) rather than just -1TN.

What you see is what is coded as of right now. Still plenty to go (remember, this is pre-alpha state). As for delete, the button is there but not sure I actually wired it up yet lol. I won't impose a limit on characters so that's not an issue. Next push I'll make sure that it is working however. As for adjusting to 2d10, and the XP reduction, I'm sticking to the current printing of AToW and it's rules. Part of the point of the builder is to automate what can be automated within reason while still requiring the books to use/play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #157 on: 08 March 2022, 04:21:42 »
That's definitely in the spirit of "minimize verbatim content" guidance Herb gave me back in the day...  :thumbsup:

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #158 on: 08 March 2022, 10:28:06 »
That's definitely in the spirit of "minimize verbatim content" guidance Herb gave me back in the day...  :thumbsup:

Yup. I'm going for the "an experienced player that already has the books can create a character with ease without having to open a book but a new player will have the books to go through the process and the app just helps keep track of things automatically" area. Part of the reason the life paths will be last.

You'll be able to look up various pieces of data but it won't tell you how to use them.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #159 on: 08 March 2022, 17:41:12 »
... As for adjusting to 2d10, and the XP reduction, I'm sticking to the current printing of AToW and it's rules. ....

I wasn't suggesting you should or asking if you would. This was more of an off handed comment that where I want to play around with and help you test your sheets, I can't make easy use of them in the game I am currently playing.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #160 on: 08 March 2022, 19:02:01 »
I wasn't suggesting you should or asking if you would. This was more of an off handed comment that where I want to play around with and help you test your sheets, I can't make easy use of them in the game I am currently playing.

Ahh. My bad. Every little bit helps and I appreciate it.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #161 on: 26 May 2022, 08:11:51 »
I'm still working on the data archive site that will host and supply all the equipment data (and probably all the rest as well eventually). So this is still in progress.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #162 on: 26 May 2022, 17:46:30 »
Glad to hear you're still working!  Will the archive have options for house rules?  ???

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #163 on: 26 May 2022, 17:48:47 »
Glad to hear you're still working!  Will the archive have options for house rules?  ???

The purpose of the archive is a central location for all the core data (Skill, Units, Factions, etc) that all other apps will link to through public APIs. What I'm finding interesting is doing it this way is oddly FASTER than having it all within the app itself. We're talking ms's here but it adds up.

Note: The AToW app is written in Ruby on Rails while the Data Archive is purely an API app written in Swift/Vapor.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #164 on: 26 May 2022, 18:08:23 »
Soo... yes? ???

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #165 on: 26 May 2022, 19:26:12 »
The archive is just a data hub. Nothing more. And will only have official content with in. The apps are just meant to make use of said official content for you to enjoy the game. You can use whatever house rules you want and I wont stop you.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #166 on: 26 May 2022, 19:57:46 »
Ah, roger... I've proposed various additional or alternate equipment for years now.  I'll work it out...  :thumbsup:

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #167 on: 27 May 2022, 14:37:34 »
Ah, roger... I've proposed various additional or alternate equipment for years now.  I'll work it out...  :thumbsup:

After a full release I may add the option to add custom equipment to your own account.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #168 on: 27 May 2022, 15:29:41 »
That would be perfect!  :thumbsup:

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #169 on: 27 May 2022, 18:01:30 »
Yea, don't worry. I know players like to home brew stuff from time to time it's just a matter of doing it right and not futzing it up for everyone else in the process.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #170 on: 10 June 2022, 19:45:00 »
Due to a personal issue, development has stalled. I expect the issue to be resolved within 60 days in which case I will resume development.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #171 on: 10 June 2022, 19:57:31 »
Best of luck with that resolution!  :)

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #172 on: 16 October 2022, 15:26:27 »
Issue is still going on and will hopefully resolve soon. Still have plans for this app and still working on getting an official license.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #173 on: 16 October 2022, 15:44:20 »
Thanks for the update!  :thumbsup:

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #174 on: 21 November 2023, 22:30:55 »
Life issues finally resolved.... 2 months ago (damn divorce took 17 months!!!).

Will be getting back on this Thursday actually as a dev stream. Will be updating the underlying software, bringing things current, and will see if we can start getting the inventory side of things in place and any remainder items needed for a point buy character.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #175 on: 22 November 2023, 04:20:46 »
Glad to see you back! :)

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #176 on: 19 February 2024, 07:00:07 »
I'll be doing another set of updates "soon" to combat some spam accounts that are being created as this gets more popular and to get more of the various data points ingested into a core app. At that juncture, I will also be re-setting the DB to a clean slate so anything existing will be removed.

Now... if I only had a group I could use this with and play a few games with......

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #177 on: 19 February 2024, 07:18:24 »
Hooray for progress! :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #178 on: 19 February 2024, 07:49:15 »
I got an "invalid e-mail" when I tried to log in... has it really been that long since I tried?

Register