Author Topic: Second Succession War  (Read 1846 times)

niall78

• Master Sergeant
Second Succession War
« on: 01 June 2020, 10:28:29 »
Does anyone have a clue whether the Second succession War source book will get a hard copy reprint?

And if so is there any time-line on this?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Second Succession War
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2020, 10:33:39 »
Does anyone have a clue whether the Second succession War source book will get a hard copy reprint?

It's currently available in Print on Demand from DriveThru RPG.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2020, 10:35:45 »
Thanks very much Lorcan.

Lent out my old one and never got it back. Want to get it again because the hole in my collection is annoying me.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2020, 10:42:55 »
Get collateral next time. Like a first born child!

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2020, 10:43:25 »
Thanks very much Lorcan.

Lent out my old one and never got it back. Want to get it again because the hole in my collection is annoying me.

Thanks Marauder!

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2020, 10:44:26 »
Thanks Marauder!

Broke the golden rule of never lending Battletech books and got burnt (again).  :D

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2020, 10:51:59 »
Just do what I did and move to the middle of no where so you have no BT players to associate with in person.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2020, 12:14:06 »

Ordered First and Second Succession Wars via PoD and got them both quickly.  Fantastic books and 100% sitting down and reading through on your designated couch or comfy chair.

Now that I've read them both, it makes me wish for a Third Succession War source book that I know isn't forthcoming. The first two were that good.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2020, 12:20:32 »
Broke the golden rule of never lending Battletech books and got burnt (again).  :D

Little-known fact: Shakespeare lost his copy of TRO 3025 after lending it out -- that's why he had Polonius caution Laertes "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" in Hamlet.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2020, 12:23:42 »
so THAT'S what was rotten in the state of Denmark

currently here are the sourcebooks available for PoD

Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars
First Succession War
House Arano
Second Succession War
Wars of Reaving

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2020, 12:30:33 »

Now that I've read them both, it makes me wish for a Third Succession War source book that I know isn't forthcoming. The first two were that good.

Scope is a big issue to do a book of the Third War. The First War lasted 25 years, the Second 34, and both were full of massive multi-regimental actions, fleet combat, huge destruction and decisive changes to the map. By comparison the Third War was 119 years, and while there were  major actions they were few and far between.  And some of them, like the Marik Civil War have already gotten writeups relatively recently. 

I definitely wouldn't complain if a book going through the major campaigns came out - I'd love to get a writeup of Halstead Station and updated ones for Galtor, solid details on the Grey Death Legion's exploits and various Wolf's Dragoons actions such as New Aragon and their assault on Hesperus. But it's going to be a tricky thing to balance the boring years with the interesting ones.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2020, 12:45:02 »
I realize the small unit actions make Third Succession War a less interesting read, and then again--LOTS of planets changed hands in the Third War.  Hearing about how a company or battalion of some unit took a planet is just as exciting as hearing how 4 RCTs and two warships took a system.  As for the war itself, yes, it was very long.  Not sure how they would do that.  I feel like my knowledge of what happened between 2900-3000 is sketchy at best, but the maps really shifted, and some empires (House Davion, for example) really seemed to reach their zenith in the 3020s.  (yes, I'm globbing the third and fourth war together, but the Fourth War is so darn short how can you not....)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2020, 13:00:46 »
The third war definitely lends itself to a brush wars style coverage that highlights the big flareups. I don’t think it’s coincidental that the 30th century is one of the most product-empty space in the canon

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2020, 14:53:48 »
The third war definitely lends itself to a brush wars style coverage that highlights the big flareups. I don’t think it’s coincidental that the 30th century is one of the most product-empty space in the canon

My thoughts exactly.  A series of Spotlight on.../Touring the Stars style publications, culminating with a collected edition that adds some bridging for the slow parts in between, might be able to fly.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2020, 15:57:32 »
Third War would be an auto buy from me.

I don't buy the 'quiet' argument to be honest. I just view most of the era as 'undocumented'.

How many multi-regimental assaults like Stein's Folly haven't been documented? We know the map changed quite a lot. These assaults and invasions were taking place.

The Star League Era used to be the universes black hole. Now the Third War has that honour.

Book ordered by the way.  :thumbsup:

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2020, 20:22:56 »
Scope is a big issue to do a book of the Third War. The First War lasted 25 years, the Second 34, and both were full of massive multi-regimental actions, fleet combat, huge destruction and decisive changes to the map. By comparison the Third War was 119 years, and while there were  major actions they were few and far between.  And some of them, like the Marik Civil War have already gotten writeups relatively recently. 

I definitely wouldn't complain if a book going through the major campaigns came out - I'd love to get a writeup of Halstead Station and updated ones for Galtor, solid details on the Grey Death Legion's exploits and various Wolf's Dragoons actions such as New Aragon and their assault on Hesperus. But it's going to be a tricky thing to balance the boring years with the interesting ones.

if this does happen, please add lots of scenario and campaign stuff.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2020, 21:08:21 »
Back in the '90's I gamed with 2 groups, one large, with most people older than me, the other I was the oldest, at 24/25. The smaller group often enjoyed a certain "Recreational Substance", that to date has ZERO Appeal to me.  :P  And No I NEVER tried it.  One of the younger guys "Borrowed" my copy of The Complete Thief's Handbook (2nd Ed. AD&D), and apparently he took it to heart.  I'm STILL waiting for him to return it.   xp

This was the same guy that borrowed the Shadow Run Rulebook (1st Ed.), from the ONE guy in the group that had one.  Then CUT OUT one of the 2 record sheets in the back of the book to make his character.   ::)   :o
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2020, 21:25:03 »
Then CUT OUT one of the 2 record sheets in the back of the book to make his character.   ::)   :o

you can't fix stupid

Register