Author Topic: Aerospace Rules for testing  (Read 5480 times)

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
Aerospace Rules for testing
« on: 12 July 2014, 00:32:31 »
A long time ago, I started working on some rules to incorporate aerospace fighters into MechWarrior play. I actually posted a draft of these rules a while back, and some of that feedback is incorporated here. The way I see it, the scale and focus of MechWarrior makes aerospace difficult to bring in fighters as just another clix base unit. The fighters would just be going too fast and too high to keep them on the playing field.

It made more sense to treat them more as an abstract air support unit. In that way, they fit in more as cards, situational and/or disruptive assets separate from your units on the board.

So I've attached the rules here, and you can download the first set of AeroTech cards and two additional squadron cards for better AA abilities here:

AeroTech Cards
Squadron Cards

I tried to make the rules as solid as I could, but I'll admit, my practical knowledge of the game doesn't extend very far. I know the rules, but haven't been able to play very much. For that reason too, the point values for the cards are probably going to me somewhat off. I would consider the cards in beta. If anyone is interested in trying the rules out in their games, I'd love to hear if any cards seem overpowered or what.

Edit 01.19.16: Changing my hosting situation, so the cards are temporarily down, but I'll note when they're back up.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2016, 09:50:52 by truegrit »

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
Re: Aerospace Rules for testing
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2014, 21:08:48 »
Downloaded for review.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2014, 20:46:42 »
I couldn't access the cards - is there a way you can post them, or are the files too large?

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2014, 21:06:28 »
I couldn't access the cards - is there a way you can post them, or are the files too large?

Sorry about that, I messed up the formatting of the links. Should be good to go now  O0 And yeah, they were too big to just attach here.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2014, 16:52:11 »
Sorry about that, I messed up the formatting of the links. Should be good to go now  O0 And yeah, they were too big to just attach here.

Thanks - looking forward to checking all this out.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2014, 12:19:40 »
A long time ago, I started working on some rules to incorporate aerospace fighters into MechWarrior play. I actually posted a draft of these rules a while back, and some of that feedback is incorporated here. The way I see it, the scale and focus of MechWarrior makes aerospace difficult to bring in fighters as just another clix base unit. The fighters would just be going too fast and too high to keep them on the playing field.

It made more sense to treat them more as an abstract air support unit. In that way, they fit in more as cards, situational and/or disruptive assets separate from your units on the board.

So I've attached the rules here, and you can download the first set of AeroTech cards and two additional squadron cards for better AA abilities here:

AeroTech Cards
Squadron Cards

I tried to make the rules as solid as I could, but I'll admit, my practical knowledge of the game doesn't extend very far. I know the rules, but haven't been able to play very much. For that reason too, the point values for the cards are probably going to me somewhat off. I would consider the cards in beta. If anyone is interested in trying the rules out in their games, I'd love to hear if any cards seem overpowered or what.

I hope to get to look through these in detail soon ... in glancing at the cards, I was impressed with the way you integrated the old aerospace line drawings into the Wizkids card format - very cool.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2014, 19:07:18 »
I hope to get to look through these in detail soon ... in glancing at the cards, I was impressed with the way you integrated the old aerospace line drawings into the Wizkids card format - very cool.

Did you ever get a chance to try the rules out?

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2015, 20:31:06 »
Did you ever get a chance to try the rules out?

Well, I have to sell my usual opponents on it ... and we play about 4-6 games per year, these days ...

I like how it's a functional add-on that essentially only requires a printer to make the cards ... as much as I'd like to have plastic N-scale aerospace fighter minis, that's another whole level of difficulty.

Love the inclusion of the Boomerang spotter plane ... 

Any suggestion on what kind of scenario to try these out with? I feel like a city would be too messy, unless I ditch my 3D terrain. Maybe use the pre-printed "spaceport" map set?

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2015, 23:10:14 »
Well, I have to sell my usual opponents on it ... and we play about 4-6 games per year, these days ...

I like how it's a functional add-on that essentially only requires a printer to make the cards ... as much as I'd like to have plastic N-scale aerospace fighter minis, that's another whole level of difficulty.

Love the inclusion of the Boomerang spotter plane ... 

Any suggestion on what kind of scenario to try these out with? I feel like a city would be too messy, unless I ditch my 3D terrain. Maybe use the pre-printed "spaceport" map set?

Thanks for following up. I hear ya about your situation. I don't really play at all, so I'm doing a lot of theoretical work. Ideally, these would be balanced enough for any kind of scenario. I'd go with just a straight up fight first, maybe? The Spaceport sounds like it could work.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2015, 18:59:39 »
Thanks for following up. I hear ya about your situation. I don't really play at all, so I'm doing a lot of theoretical work. Ideally, these would be balanced enough for any kind of scenario. I'd go with just a straight up fight first, maybe? The Spaceport sounds like it could work.

One of my friends did a "Flames of MechWarrior" rule set, mashing up the two. Has something like an Alpha Strike vibe, but with FoW armor penetration rules. I will admit I enjoyed being able to use multiple weapons on my 'mechs and vehicles (one of the things I missed about the BT / MechWarrior rule changes). Anyway, hopefully I'll get a chance to drop these aerotech rules into the rotation.