Author Topic: Modding the new plastic miniatures - a question of solvents  (Read 1402 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
So I ordered a Rifleman and an Archer that I plan to swap the arms on, and I'm wondering about how to go about doing it.  Cutting with an exacto knife is doable, though will take time to get it right without losing detail.  Has anyone tried something to loosen the glue solvents that the factory used to put these together, and if so what success did you have?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Modding the new plastic miniatures - a question of solvents
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2023, 08:58:12 »
Salt water will dissolve super glue, but you may have trouble getting it into the joints on the Archer, so it might require lots of applications; the Rifleman arm joint has a little more gap, so salt should work better there. Freezing the mini may make the glue more brittle, but the plastic may be more likely to break.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2023, 12:46:14 »
I am a big proponent of Tamiya razor saws, personally.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2023, 15:37:15 »
As mentioned freezing can make joints brittle, but the new minis are pretty solidly made.

I'll use either a razor saw (but that can be hard to get into angles, and does remove a little material), or a classic Stanley knife. The trick I find is not to press massively hard; medium pressure, and rock the blade back and forth around the contact point. Less likely to taste blood when you do get separation.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2023, 15:11:15 »
Wait... it only takes salt water to dissolve Super Glue? ???

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2023, 17:07:00 »
Never tried that...but I do know that moisture is an accelerant for CA+ (I use it routinely for work, let alone our shared hobby/addiction).

I will say that, due to the Archer's build at the shoulders (dem flanges!), that one in particular should likely be quite the pain to separate the arms.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2023, 21:14:42 »
Yeah, the -5R Archer mini that comes with 15 LRMs in the torso (I forget which box it's in) has much flatter flanges, and cutting the shoulder off was easy enough.  Looking at the -2R, it's got those shoulder pieces that stick out, so I can only cut from below which is gonna be a pain.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register