Author Topic: The Free Worlds League: Winning with what we've got!  (Read 161287 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The Free Worlds League: Winning with what we've got!
« Reply #1230 on: 28 June 2018, 10:14:06 »
Well . . . if I would read the game description- oops!  Slight change to forces- Anzu G60 (3/5), Havoc P6 (3/4), and Tufana [iNARC] (2/3) . . . thinking 1t regular ammo, 1t Haywire and 1t Nemesis . . . also wondering if I can get ARAD LRM/SRM ammo to use.

With Nemesis pods . . . does that mean, +1 roll to the original target's THN, or roll up +1 to the pod'd THNs?

Never messed with iNarc so I am looking forward to playing with it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

the_slovak

• Recruit
« Reply #1231 on: 03 July 2018, 17:00:39 »
I very much like playing faction specific units, and even really enjoy using light vehicles and infantry. FWL means playing against the odds and I love it.
"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire."

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1232 on: 10 August 2018, 04:14:20 »
Would it be a spoiler to point out that the Free Worlds League reoccupation of Regulus was... surprisingly civil?

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #1233 on: 10 August 2018, 06:41:28 »
Would it be a spoiler to point out that the Free Worlds League reoccupation of Regulus was... surprisingly civil?
Did I miss that?
Was this in Shattered Fortress?
« Last Edit: 10 August 2018, 06:50:48 by Lord Cameron »
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1234 on: 10 August 2018, 07:56:56 »
It was first mentioned in TRO3150, but yes, the details were in Shattered Fortress.  I can elucidate for you if you'd like.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1235 on: 10 August 2018, 08:03:36 »
 You know we love our Regulan family. We may get a few crazy uncles at the top sometime (And occasionally have to clean up some issues), but a League without Regulus is simply not a complete Free Worlds League.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #1236 on: 10 August 2018, 08:06:24 »
It was first mentioned in TRO3150, but yes, the details were in Shattered Fortress.  I can elucidate for you if you'd like.

Lol,  I got Shattered Fortress at Gencon, now if only I had time to read the darn thing...  ;D

So Regulus is back in the League,  and somewhat more habitable than Gibson.  :-\
Are the brood of Fake Thomas still in charge of the League?
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1237 on: 10 August 2018, 08:11:34 »
They are, unfortunately.  I'm still rooting for Kenyon II to take the reins somehow.

MAKE MARIKS MARIK AGAIN!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1238 on: 10 August 2018, 09:01:00 »
Why?  If he had the chops he would have done it, or at least wrested control of the MS Commonwealth from daddy instead of camping out on another world.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1239 on: 10 August 2018, 09:12:21 »
They are, unfortunately.  I'm still rooting for Kenyon II to take the reins somehow.

MAKE MARIKS MARIK AGAIN!

Nikol is sick... and you're stuck with her until she explodes. Not sure how the League thinks of her sister, obviously in deep with the clans.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1240 on: 10 August 2018, 09:24:14 »
Personally, I think all of Jessica's daughters are badass and the FWL is better of with them than without them.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1241 on: 10 August 2018, 09:42:24 »
I think Nikol Marik had really good character development since she was introduced MWDA Novels.  She was like in 4 novels. Even as secondary character, she was pretty well done, between all the authors writing her.  I like how she developed friendship with Danai Liao.   

When she ended up in command of Eagle's Talons, she was driving Marik's lightgauss packing BattleMaster, which was interesting see her trouble shooting various independent worlds just before the cementing of the League in 3139.

I swear the novels painted different characterization of these people now for 3150.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1242 on: 10 August 2018, 09:52:46 »
The MWDA characters have never been very consistent. Natasha Kerensky might have multiple personality disorder by this point. They've all been tossed around at the whim of necessity.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1243 on: 10 August 2018, 10:27:10 »
Kerensky is the worst b/c of the trilogy crap . . .

but characters in the last half of the novel set were generally pretty well done- Stackpole's Alaric is off, and I say this as a Warden Wolf Clan player- his presentation of the Crusader Wolves was badly done.  Vlad intentionally left many of the unit names of the pre-Refusal Wolves behind, especially if the majority or command structure went to the Wardens.  Because he did not even fact check with FM Updates or CC, then the Empire got stuck with a) cumbersome names (4th Wolf Striker Guards Cluster, which was the old 4th Wolf Guards who went with Phelan) or b) units that had not been part of Vlad's expansion or changes.

I do not think we saw enough of Nikol really to form a opinion of how she was portrayed in 3146-3150; Julian, Jasek, Roderick yes . . . b/c the novellas.
Colt Ward

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #1244 on: 11 August 2018, 05:26:17 »
So, as someone who is waiting for the hard copy of the new book can I ask if the Regulan Hussars re-joined the League along with their province and are the Marik Protectors back in the FWLM?

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1245 on: 11 August 2018, 09:48:47 »
So, as someone who is waiting for the hard copy of the new book can I ask if the Regulan Hussars re-joined the League along with their province and are the Marik Protectors back in the FWLM?

Some of the Hussars came back. They're currently operating as Federal Troops and posted to the Commonwealth borders. The war crime happy ones get disbanded.
No unit numbers specified.

As to the Protectors, there was mentioned here and there, but they look to still be FWL affiliated Merc-lite.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2018, 09:56:09 by Dies Irae »

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #1246 on: 11 August 2018, 14:31:51 »
Some of the Hussars came back. They're currently operating as Federal Troops and posted to the Commonwealth borders. The war crime happy ones get disbanded.
No unit numbers specified.

As to the Protectors, there was mentioned here and there, but they look to still be FWL affiliated Merc-lite.

Cheers.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1247 on: 11 August 2018, 14:33:19 »
The 4th took an offensive contract with the FWLM, and the 3rd was assaulted and pushed aside by the Anduriens.  No mention of the Hammers though, and I forgot to check the map for changes.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1248 on: 12 August 2018, 02:04:16 »
So here's the big question; with Regulus back in the fold, what does that add to the FWL's production? I can immediately think of the Violator, Sarath, Patriot, 8M Warhammer and Neanderthal
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1249 on: 12 August 2018, 02:40:41 »
Marauder 9M2, the great Turfana, and some BA I think.
Colt Ward

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1250 on: 12 August 2018, 08:25:35 »
And that HPPC with wings, too.  Corsair?  Buccaneer?  It was something piratey.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1251 on: 12 August 2018, 10:10:28 »
Piccaroon.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1252 on: 12 August 2018, 21:28:56 »
Just how many League-class Warships were every built and how many Block II's are still around?

I've always was curious... did they make a Block III?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1253 on: 12 August 2018, 21:45:43 »
Just how many League-class Warships were every built and how many Block II's are still around?

I've always was curious... did they make a Block III?

TT
There were never any Block III versions of the League Class, only the Block I and IIs.  Total number of ships produced has not been counted. We don't know how many of the first gen League Class Destroyers were made, or how many 2nd gen Block II were made either. However, from vibe I've gotten from the fiction, that they're were properly the most numerous Warships that FWL ever made. I'm not sure if the League IIs were as numerous as the League Is, but i think CGL left that for us to guess.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #1254 on: 13 August 2018, 09:09:50 »
What are the chances that Andurien is brought back into the fold?  Despite their independent streak, I think it is probable they return a la Regulus.  The write ups for the Andurien Rangers in FM3145 suggest a substantial amount of anti-Capellan animosity in the ADF.  If Danai Liao-Centrella really inherits all three states from Daoshen, Ilsa, and Ari she'll be facing full blown Andurien revolt, especially since it would mean revealing to everyone her true parentage.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1255 on: 13 August 2018, 09:46:11 »
What are the chances that Andurien is brought back into the fold?  Despite their independent streak, I think it is probable they return a la Regulus.  The write ups for the Andurien Rangers in FM3145 suggest a substantial amount of anti-Capellan animosity in the ADF.  If Danai Liao-Centrella really inherits all three states from Daoshen, Ilsa, and Ari she'll be facing full blown Andurien revolt, especially since it would mean revealing to everyone her true parentage.
Danai is the step-daughter biologically to the Duke.  Thought no one knows this. I'm thinking if IlClan thing has such an impact on the Inner Sphere, the Anduriens will push to remain with this new trinity alliance or worse combined nation.  Given the Andurien position in the Inner Sphere, there possibility that the new super Inner Sphere state maybe formed if the MoC and Andurien forces can bridge the gap and capture enough Independent worlds.     

The Free Worlds League would likely not have enough resources to utterly stop this.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1256 on: 13 August 2018, 10:01:30 »
 Remember the League has the "Other" original video of the disaster that started the Andurien War. If released at the proper time, it could seriously undermine such considerations.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1257 on: 13 August 2018, 10:04:05 »
I think Andurien has to be written off for the foreseeable future.  IMO not much has changed since the formation of the Neo FWL to 3150- its still all about reforming, the independent worlds need to be convinced to rejoin and so do the Protectors.  The traditions and habits of the federal League need to be established- Shattered Fortress was right in that Fontaine's adventure is a dangerous precedent that could set the tone for decades if not centuries.  The conflict with Regulus was going to happen, and it was really  more painless for the neoFWL than it should have been thanks to the Fox armada- not something that maybe counted on for facing the Anduriens or their Canopian backers.

I think the surviving Hussars regiments need to be handled carefully- make Regulus pay for the war by sticking their units with a lot of the distant/unpleasant duty stations but do not use them as casualty sponges on any future Marian or Lyran reprisal strikes.

I think Nikol needs to cozy up to the new Rim Collection/Timbuktu state simply to gain access to Son Hoa.
Colt Ward

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1258 on: 13 August 2018, 10:06:08 »
 I would not punish the Regulan Hussars, but try to get them back to their old relationship with the federal forces, the one they had before the rift started. Using them for heavy raids against the Marians would constitute a traditional use of their expertise.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2018, 10:09:56 by Minemech »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1259 on: 13 August 2018, 10:10:22 »
Well, the 'punishment' was that they got posted on the opposite side of the League in a active theater and fell strictly under Federal control.  Its why I said they should not be used as casualty sponges- basically do not place them under the command of a League officer who is going to have them dropping into suicide situations.  It would undo all the efforts to re-integrate Regulus and the Hussars.

Now one thing not mentioned, the war crimes line . . . would that be the general who took off with her regiment and some nukes?  Where would she go . . . Andurien?  Canopus?  Or perhaps the Hegemony?
Colt Ward

Register