Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164046 times)

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1380 on: 04 June 2019, 04:26:32 »
Well, it's the same reason the NX-01 has more greebling or how they redesigned the Constitution class for Phase 2 which became The Motion Picture: the original TOS models were kinda boring, so they wanted to give it a new, more interesting aesthetic.  Honestly, it's handwavey stuff, that doesn't REALLY need explained, but the fact the NCC-1701 was totally rebuilt at least provides a precedence for explaining it.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1381 on: 04 June 2019, 05:09:58 »
Seems the ships are always in refit...  ;D
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1382 on: 04 June 2019, 05:52:24 »
From what little we know about Discovery's next season. Do you guys think it's will be bit extreme?  Plug the ship into nearly thousand years into the future?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #1383 on: 04 June 2019, 06:16:58 »
What do you mean by extreme?  I do think, even if the season 2 finale did a decent job of explaining away some plot holes, throwing Discovery so far into the future might be a BIT much.
I'm interested to see if the Federation is still around in a recognizable form or if season 3 is going to pretty much be Andromeda.  Regardless there's one interesting dynamic I hope they do a good job exploring, and that's how out of date the Discovery will be.  The Enterprise was the flagship of the fleet crewed by the finest officers, and the Voyager was one of Starfleet's newest, most advanced vessels, so both were up to the challenges they faced.  Discovery, meanwhile belongs in a museum in the time period it's going to.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1384 on: 04 June 2019, 07:45:32 »
Yes, the Discovery will be quite obsolete in a lot of ways.  But it still has the unique spore drive technology which Starfleet hadn't reverse-engineered even by the time Voyager made it back from the Delta Quadrant...because nobody remembered anything about it.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1385 on: 04 June 2019, 08:46:59 »
I just think the big time jump into the future is the writers backing them self into a corner and not having a way out of it. They changed writers multiple times last year and it seems like they changed story line just as much. Disco had the Section 31 threat under control but still made the jump into the future. The ship that had advance jump drive, and also won the war against the Klingons is just going to be forgot, because the tens of thousands will for get that changing point of history. 
Its a prequl and I think that jump was there way of moving forward with upset of the fan base. The fan base and the die hard fans  are the ones who make the money for Star Trek not the casual watcher of the show.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1386 on: 04 June 2019, 10:15:17 »
Maybe the whole point is Discovery and crew don't come back to the past the future is so far removed from past series what they do wont matter
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1387 on: 04 June 2019, 15:55:27 »
Maybe the whole point is Discovery and crew don't come back to the past the future is so far removed from past series what they do wont matter
which they should have done in the first place.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1388 on: 04 June 2019, 16:09:47 »
I wonder if the Picard series is going to be related to Discovery as in:

"hey... Picard... do you want to search for an old ship which had a great tech which Section 31 didnt want us to find it and try to save Romulus by going into the past of our future... "  :D ;D ;D ;D

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1389 on: 04 June 2019, 20:17:03 »

There is one person on Discovery who has to come back from the future--Evil Georgiou, so they can have the Section 31 series in which Michelle Yeoh is supposed to be starring...

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1390 on: 05 June 2019, 11:23:14 »
There is one person on Discovery who has to come back from the future--Evil Georgiou, so they can have the Section 31 series in which Michelle Yeoh is supposed to be starring...

Cheers, Gabe

Her last fight was in engineering IIRC then she wasnt seen as the ship went through the rift she could already have left the ship off camera we're just not seeing it her and Tyler leading 31 could be fun
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1391 on: 05 June 2019, 11:50:27 »
Having not seen the show fully, does Discovery's main computer have a sort pre-M5 AI like computer?

Short Treks supposedly says Discovery had one by then.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1392 on: 05 June 2019, 12:16:29 »
The ship's computer responds to voice, I do not recall TOS doing so . . . but it also has some different responses than TNG, it was more social in its interaction IMO than the TNG or Voyager.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1393 on: 05 June 2019, 12:32:10 »
The ship's computer responds to voice, I do not recall TOS doing so . . . but it also has some different responses than TNG, it was more social in its interaction IMO than the TNG or Voyager.
I do recall the TOS computer used as ask questions, get basic answer. You will recall that actually Majel Barrett (Roddenberry) supplied the voice. Phase which typically was used for Computer saying it's working on the the problem was "Working".  That's why i believe that Parody movie Galaxy Quest, has someone only job was asking questions to the computer.

Anyways, that why i wanted to ask.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1394 on: 05 June 2019, 13:01:24 »
Barret was the voice for TNG and I think . . . Defiant?  Not sure for Voyager.  But I do not think TOS ship's computer talked to the crew, its why the bridge crew was always reporting information to Kirk.  But yeah, TNG she would say 'Working' 'Access Denied' 'Crewman Redshirt is no longer on the ship' while Discovery seems to be a bit friendlier and more intuitive interface- I am particularly thinking of the episode in S1 where Saru is trying to set up a program to improve his command skills.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1395 on: 05 June 2019, 13:21:58 »
Some of the changes is simply to upgrade the base tech to something more in sync with our reality.
BEcause frankly, noone below the age of 40 would identify at all with the beep and blinking lights of TOS bridges.

It has charm, in a camp "He look it's so cute and anicent" way.

Voice command is a way of life now - trying to say "oh, the future has Starship computers dumber than your thermometer" won't hold it now.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #1396 on: 05 June 2019, 14:23:41 »
I seem to remember a TOS episode where they were heading to get the computer adjusted.  At one point it responded to Kirk with a rather sultry "Yes... Dear" to the amusement of the bridge crew.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1397 on: 05 June 2019, 14:25:43 »
That's the problem with the future: as soon as an artist comes up with what it might look like in 200 years, some jackwagon engineer decides that it looks cool and makes it work in five years.  All of a sudden the artist looks dumb...

Honestly you'd be surprised how much medical technology and noninvasive scans came out of doctors watching McCoy and his tricorder.  Ever notice how popular exploratory surgery was back then compared to now?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1398 on: 05 June 2019, 14:48:42 »
Voice command is a way of life now - trying to say "oh, the future has Starship computers dumber than your thermometer" won't hold it now.
What about if the users don't want voice command?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1399 on: 05 June 2019, 15:17:47 »
I would love to talk to my house.  I just do not want my house talking to Google, Amazon or Facebook.  Heck, I am not happy with my fridge talking to the electric company.

Lol, it USED to be fun to point out to folks who disdained sci fi how much their cell phone resembled a communicator . . . then they had to design it away from the flip phones!  Though I guess you could say bluetooth was TNG communicator, instead of pressing the badge you activated the ear bud.
Colt Ward

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1400 on: 05 June 2019, 15:58:50 »
For those among you who like to follow future tech stuff just see/read Dr. Michio Kaku interviews and you get a good idea about where we (the humanity) is going. Like the above mentioned Tricorder and Communicator from Star Trek there are several other stuff taken from sci-fi novels/movies into reality soon(ish)... even the teleporter.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1401 on: 05 June 2019, 17:17:32 »
What about if the users don't want voice command?
Imagine the catharsis of being able to swear at your house and it WORKS.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1402 on: 05 June 2019, 17:25:51 »

"Show me the Enterprise.  NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C or D"

And then Netflix queues up an episode of TOS for you.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1403 on: 05 June 2019, 17:38:16 »
Barret was the voice for TNG and I think . . . Defiant?  Not sure for Voyager.  But I do not think TOS ship's computer talked to the crew, its why the bridge crew was always reporting information to Kirk.  But yeah, TNG she would say 'Working' 'Access Denied' 'Crewman Redshirt is no longer on the ship' while Discovery seems to be a bit friendlier and more intuitive interface- I am particularly thinking of the episode in S1 where Saru is trying to set up a program to improve his command skills.

The computer in TOS did talk and did respond to voices requests. They also kept this function for he computer of the Defiant in the second mirror universe episode of Enterprise.

Edit: btw, speaking of being able to talk to your house, be careful of what you wish for. Did you not see that Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror episode where the Simpsons got a home upgrade with an AI (that spoke with Pierce Brosnon’s voice IIRC) that controlled everything and could speak and respond to voice commands, etc. Of course, being a ThoH episode, the AI fell in love with Marge and turned deadly to win her.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 05 June 2019, 18:18:25 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1404 on: 05 June 2019, 17:48:32 »
Shat talking to TOS computer...
https://youtu.be/1ZXugicgn6U

I would love to talk to my house.  I just do not want my house talking to Google, Amazon or Facebook.  Heck, I am not happy with my fridge talking to the electric company.
This is possible. There are customizable apps for arduino and the like that work with smart devices. They are not cloud-based or connected to anything other than the device(s) where you install them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1405 on: 06 June 2019, 01:07:33 »
For those among you who like to follow future tech stuff just see/read Dr. Michio Kaku interviews and you get a good idea about where we (the humanity) is going. Like the above mentioned Tricorder and Communicator from Star Trek there are several other stuff taken from sci-fi novels/movies into reality soon(ish)... even the teleporter.

Listening to Dr Kaku speak is always fun, but I'd take his predictions with a grain of salt.  He likes to make a lot of wild speculations about things regardless of whether or not it's a subject he actually knows anything more than the average layman on.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1406 on: 06 June 2019, 02:51:09 »
He's like Neil Tyson.  Definitely laudable, and both of them very explicitly know their **** but they got popularity happy and...shall we say, expanded their positions without expanding their knowledge so much.  Still, if I'm gonna talk string theory, I'll definitely tune in to Kaku.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #1407 on: 06 June 2019, 10:11:40 »
Edit: btw, speaking of being able to talk to your house, be careful of what you wish for. Did you not see that Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror episode where the Simpsons got a home upgrade with an AI (that spoke with Pierce Brosnon’s voice IIRC) that controlled everything and could speak and respond to voice commands, etc. Of course, being a ThoH episode, the AI fell in love with Marge and turned deadly to win her.

"Homer, you seem to be carrying a lot of tension in your backfat..."

Damon  ;D
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1408 on: 06 June 2019, 10:21:17 »
It would more likely show the wrong types of movies on the TV.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1409 on: 06 June 2019, 10:50:20 »
It would more likely show the wrong types of movies on the TV.  ;)

Am I the only one here who remembers...

"Why don't you get out of here, Finchley?"

cheers,

Gabe