Author Topic: Character Creation..help!  (Read 4015 times)

MechTheDane

• Corporal
Character Creation..help!
« on: 27 February 2011, 13:31:27 »
Hi.
I just got my A Time of War and am attempting to create a chatacter (And then hopefully more..)
But I am brand-spanking new to this RPG and RPG's in general.

I am trying to get through the life modules, but I keep getting confused.
Maybe I am glossing over things and missing vital details, but there seems to be things the book takes for granted that I understand..that I don't  :-\

A few reaaaally basic questions
So I think 100 xp into an Attribute = 1 Attribute level, is that right?
Does 100 xp in a kill = 1 Skill level as well?

In General I am doing something wrong..

I tried to create a Invading Clan character and ran out of xp before the process was complete.

I'll go through the process with you, since I could be making multiple mistakes. My best guess currently is that I am incorrectly using traits, but that is only a guess.
Here is what I did:

I subtracted 75 points for making a clan character, then subtracted 850 points and put 100 into each Attribute, 10 into perception, 20 into english and 20 into Swedish.
4075 points remaining

I couldn't figure out how my negative xp related to negative traits worked. I got negative 50 xp for a compulsion of arrogance and just put "compulsion/arrogance -50" underneath my skill list. I am not sure what to do with that negative 50 or how it effects my level of compulsiveness, so other than listing it i did nothing with it.
Similarly did the same with Inner Space Distrust compulsion. Gave myself the listed amount of protocol(clan) and interest(remembrance)

I chose Ghost Bear Faction put all my added skill/attributed points in, again I didn't do anything with my Hell's Horses compulsion other then list that i had -20xp of it,  I also just put a -50 next to my Slow Learner trait on my spreadsheet, but did nothing more with it.

I chose Elemental-Advanced, input all the xp it says I got. Oddly enough I now have 0 CHA and DEX but maybe i'll get it back later. In my Traits list I just Patient with 25xp next to it and Reputation with 100xp next to it. As you can probably tell by nowI am just putting xp or negative xp into traits as thought they were skills/attributes.

At this point I still have 4075xp (i think?)

Stage 1:
I went with a Truborn Creche and subtract 300xp from my total. I input attribute/skill xp. I now have -75 CHA. I list a 4th compulsion 'Clan Honor' and put -100xp next to it. I then added the -300xp for the slow learner trait into my previous -50xp slow learner trait for a total of -350xp Slow learner trait. And put 200xp next to my Trueborn trait.

I now have 3775xp remaining.

Stage 2:
I choose Trueborn Sibko and subtract 1600xp from my total leaving 2175xp left
I input the various attributes and skills and then get a 'Clan Basic Training Field' that costs me 300xp leaving 1875xp left. I put 50xp into the 6 clan field school fields and then do 10(skill rebate) x 6(Amount of skill) and get 60xp which i put back into my total 1875xp which leaves me with 1935xp.

I then Choose Elemental Advanced. I notice I do not meet the pre-requistes and so spend heavily on my attributes, for example my DEX is currently 60 so I take 340xp from my total and place it into DEX bringing it up to 400xp for the required DEX +4.  I do the same for my other pre-req attributes. Altogether getting my attributes to prerequisite level costs me 880 of my total xp leaving me with 1055xp.
(My CHA is now -105.)
As before I list my traits Equipped/Vehicle and just put the amount of xp the book says they get next to them (50xp and 185xp). I go to Clan Elemental School which costs me 560 total XP (leaving 535xp left in my total). I put 80xp in each of its listed skills then do 16(Rebate)x7(skills) which is 112 and add that back into my total giving me 647xp.

I end this stage with a total of 647xp.

Stage 4
I decide to do a tour of duty, which costs 1000xp.

I only have 647xp left. What have I done wrong?
I suspect it might have something to do with my traits, but I could be doing a lot more wrong than just that..
=(
« Last Edit: 27 February 2011, 13:56:33 by MechTheDane »

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Character Creation..help!
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2011, 14:41:59 »
Your best bet is to read through the entire character generation section before trying a character. Some of your questions can be answered near the end (though it does get a little confusing).

A few reaaaally basic questions
So I think 100 xp into an Attribute = 1 Attribute level, is that right?
Does 100 xp in a kill = 1 Skill level as well?

There's a chart on page 85 that details how the points break down (basically 100 in an attribute = 1 point, skills are a different, and depend on if you have Fast Learner or Slow Learner, or are just normal.

I subtracted 75 points for making a clan character, then subtracted 850 points and put 100 into each Attribute, 10 into perception, 20 into english and 20 into Swedish.
4075 points remaining

I couldn't figure out how my negative xp related to negative traits worked. I got negative 50 xp for a compulsion of arrogance and just put "compulsion/arrogance -50" underneath my skill list. I am not sure what to do with that negative 50 or how it effects my level of compulsiveness, so other than listing it i did nothing with it.
Similarly did the same with Inner Space Distrust compulsion. Gave myself the listed amount of protocol(clan) and interest(remembrance)

I chose Ghost Bear Faction put all my added skill/attributed points in, again I didn't do anything with my Hell's Horses compulsion other then list that i had -20xp of it,  I also just put a -50 next to my Slow Learner trait on my spreadsheet, but did nothing more with it.

This seems right so far. At this point, don't worry about where all the XP is going. You're just getting the basics done so far, getting a rough draft of the character. There's a finalization process at the end of character generation.

I then Choose Elemental Advanced. I notice I do not meet the pre-requistes and so spend heavily on my attributes, for example my DEX is currently 60 so I take 340xp from my total and place it into DEX bringing it up to 400xp for the required DEX +4.  I do the same for my other pre-req attributes. Altogether getting my attributes to prerequisite level costs me 880 of my total xp leaving me with 1055xp.
(My CHA is now -105.)

Don't spend anything at this point, except for Flex XP, and the point cost of the life module. The Prerequisites only come into play at the end of character creation. They're just something your final character has to have (see Handling Prerequisites, p. 51).

I think there are a few misconceptions that might be cleared up with reading the entire chargen section. Some of the answers you're looking for are at the book, where they may not be as apparent if you're going step by step. There are also some ways to get XP back at the end of character generation, shaving points here and there, as well as picking up extra negative traits.

A Bloody Beginning Might help, it might not. Its a Blood Spirit character I did a while ago, that shows each step (but isn't very detailed).

You look to be on the right track for the most part, its just getting lost in some of the details that may not be apparent the first couple of times through (I'm still slightly clueless on how aging and extra XP works exactly, so there you go :)

MechTheDane

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2011, 15:54:24 »
So I don't pay for Clans Basic Training or Clan Elemental training in the Clan Military Skill Fields?
If that's the case, where does the '300xp' and '560xp' costs of the field schools go..?

Are you saying I don't pay those xps?
I just fill in the skills associated with those fields, then give myself the XP rebate? Ending up with more XP then i started?
« Last Edit: 27 February 2011, 16:03:27 by MechTheDane »

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2011, 18:56:04 »
So I don't pay for Clans Basic Training or Clan Elemental training in the Clan Military Skill Fields?
If that's the case, where does the '300xp' and '560xp' costs of the field schools go..?

The Clan Sibko Modules already have Field costs factored in to the total life module cost.  The XP listed in the field is divided evenly amongst each skill - 300 XP for Clan Basic Training means that each skill of six gets 50 XP towards its value.

I just fill in the skills associated with those fields, then give myself the XP rebate? Ending up with more XP then i started?

Well, the Sibko Module cost still comes into play.  Which, at 950 for freeborns and 1500 or 1600 for trueborns, means that you'll just be recouping a small amount of the massive chunk you just paid out.  Beats having to go to officer candidate school to be a bigshot, though.  ^VVVVV^

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2011, 01:39:35 »

Uhh..that's interesting. I might be doing something wrong. I'll get back to you on that.

MechTheDane

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2011, 03:45:23 »
lol glad problems could help you =D

I'm sure i'll have many more down the road..

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2011, 04:10:17 »
Alright, based on what I'm looking at, you don't pay the Field cost for the Clan Sibko. Notice the Life Path cost just says 1600, and not 1600+field Costs.

The other thing is, don't go messing around with spending points on your attributes yet. Deal with the prerequisites at the end (they're more like final minimums, rather than prerequisites).

MechTheDane

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2011, 04:18:14 »
What about traits that are..incomplete. Like if a character is;
Illiterate: -25

or has Compulsion/Hate: -40

To I just ignore those? Or bring them up to -100, or just pretend they are 1?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2011, 04:43:01 »
Again, its another thing that will be taken care of at the end of character creation, under the heading "Purchasing Attributes Traits and Skills" on page 81. At this point in time, just put the points where the modules give you, and leave them alone. Once you're done with everything, you'll have a chance to purchase attributes and skills, as well as consolidating points where needed.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2011, 17:55:29 »
What about traits that are..incomplete. Like if a character is;
Illiterate: -25

or has Compulsion/Hate: -40

To I just ignore those? Or bring them up to -100, or just pretend they are 1?
Traits can't have any partial investment, you have to buy them off (reduce to 0) or, during optimization, add enough negative xp to bring them to the next TP (adding points back to your pool of course.)

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2011, 21:13:03 »
To clarify since you asked it earlier

The negative points assigned to negative traits are essentially lowering the cost of those modules, and if you keep the negative trait, and fund it up to it's minimum level, it's effectively extra exp you can spend elsewhere.

During creation there are some negative traits that might get points assigned from several modules (very typical for enemy, wealth, equipped, etc)  so you need to keep a running total on those. until you get to the 'optimization' stage (which might be better called 'rounding off')

Personally I'd start with an IS character.. clans are a bit 'special' and have a bit more limited choices for lifepaths etc.  think of them as a slightly more advanced character. 
C4 trumps 4 Aces

Register