Author Topic: Robotech: Love Live Alive  (Read 8012 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Robotech: Love Live Alive
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2013, 11:55:35 »
if I am not not mistaken tops has done minor things like reviewing plans that catalyst /fanpro had, given input to try to grow the brand, considered tie ins with other products/or ip's that might work together etc. (I might be mistaken)

hg seems to viciously protect "their" ip,  including people who are not in any stretch infringing I use the mw demos because the way it was posted on like IGN the phrasing HG seemed to be implying that the jenner was also theirs

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2013, 16:58:51 »
But, what is Topps doing that is different from what Harmony Gold is doing? What has Topps, itself, done with the
IPs? Has it done more then HG has itself with the Robotech IP? Looking at it from a completely detached viewpoint,
what has Topps done, itself, that HG hasn't?
Licence it to companies that actually generate new content, advance the storyline, and grow the brand.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2013, 21:25:39 »
One day i'll make you see the light on Macross 7, Harlock  ;D

Yeah, that's going to be a tall order. There is just something that I can't get past with the Fire Bombers.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2013, 21:48:27 »
Only good thing I liked about Macross 7 was that the VF-22 from Macross Plus showed up in it. Beyond that it wasn't exactly a high point for the Macross Franchise.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2013, 09:49:20 »
theirs alot of low points in the macross franchise.  so in this case I'm saving the cash and not buying Love live alive.    Then again I'm a Kickstarter backer for robotech tactics.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2013, 10:58:31 »
Only good thing I liked about Macross 7 was that the VF-22 from Macross Plus showed up in it. Beyond that it wasn't exactly a high point for the Macross Franchise.

I know I am one of the few that actually enjoyed it.  Yes it could be a lot better than what it was but to me it was still enjoyable

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2013, 22:28:55 »
Licence it to companies that actually generate new content, advance the storyline, and grow the brand.

Wow, you mean like DC Comics? Maybe Ninja Division for miniatures? Harmony Gold is no different than Topps in that regard.

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2013, 22:36:29 »
Wow, you mean like DC Comics? Maybe Ninja Division for miniatures? Harmony Gold is no different than Topps in that regard.

but do they follow through? I'm still waiting for the next part of the Shadow Chronicles, but it appears that HG as soon as they saw the possible Movie deal dangle in front of there eyes dropped the next part of the series like a hot potato.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #38 on: 14 August 2013, 19:20:46 »
DC Comics did not grow the brand, instead retreading the same storylines that HG has. The RPG line lied totally dead for six years, and the miniatures JUST reappeared. I think Topps took interest in Battletech, for instance, because various companies had not let these aspects lie dormant.

It would be like if Catalyst had just stayed in 3025 and replayed the Warrior trilogy, and promoted it to a degree that can only be described as "invisible". I was at ComicCon when Shadow Chronicles dropped in '06, and it sure wasn't either HG or DC promoting it as a tie-in, it was the fan group in a small room. Frankly, there's been a whole host of bad business decisions by everyone involved... but it all starts, it would seem at HG.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 14 August 2013, 22:27:10 »
Look at it this way, years back HG dabbled animation, Robotech, Captain Harlock, the first attempt to dub Dragonball, Lensman, and a few others and even did a few movies. Shaka Zulu comes to mind. Then they let that aspect of there portfolio die off other than holding onto rights and creating lawsuits and headaches for people and focused on their California Real Estate interests. They did nothing to promote anything they did animation wise for years until the advent of the DVD and putting out Robotech, and I am pretty certain someone came to them to do Robotech and not the other way around. At the same time Animeigo put out Macross on DVD and it sold. To me it appears people have to go to them to have them do anything with the property.
Now Topps I think probably has a case of benign neglect for Battletech. They licensed the rights to Catalyst and as long as it makes money there happy, were happy, and all is right with the world.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #40 on: 22 August 2013, 16:24:07 »
I stopped by Palladiums booth at this year's GenCon. The Zendrati and Destriod Mecha looked awesome both painted and non. I was told that the minis would be also be sold seperately later on as more of a BattlePak style deal. Oh and they fit on the 1" scale as well.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #41 on: 22 August 2013, 17:39:10 »
Well, it finally came out in Australia, and I decided to get it. I balanced everything up and in the end made my decision based on one thing: the presence of a Condor on the front cover.

Because obscure and unused concept art desgins for the win.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #42 on: 22 August 2013, 23:47:32 »
The miniatures game looks really awesome. The Vertech Fighters looks really good. Think I'm going to pick this up when it comes out. The miniatures are a little larger then CBTs but still ok. That Monster Mini looked really cool.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Register