Author Topic: "Almost Human" - Season the First  (Read 11222 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
"Almost Human" - Season the First
« on: 19 November 2013, 22:00:50 »
So just watched the second episode and I'm really digging this show. Its as cool as I hoped it would be. It's sci-fish without being too over the top. The production values are great. And the leads are fantastic. (Really, the "car talk" scenes are hysterical.)

And there do seem to be deeper issues to contemplate beyond the usual cop stuff. Especially so in the second episode.

So anyone else watching it? Anyone as excited about the show as I am?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
Re: "Almost Human" - Season the First
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2013, 23:33:08 »
Saw most of the first episode and while I couldn't hear most of the first half(big screen TV in the middle of a loud party) I did really like what I looked at. Need to DVR this if I can't see it regularly. I am really digging the android actor. I love the idea of one that has a bit more emotion than the other models but none of the humans care to see it. And, of course, the actor who played Bones in Star Trek is great as a tough as nails cop.
Made by HikageMaru

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2013, 02:45:05 »
I really liked the first two episodes as well. Especially the first episode gave me a huge "Blade Runner" feel when the cop was hanging around in 'chinatown'.

The setting is good, the acting is great, and as you say, there are some underlying themes that they might explore which looks interesting. Looking forward to more.

Øystein

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2013, 10:52:51 »
This kind of has a robocop feel to it but a much better job than robocop.  I really enjoyed both episodes and have definitely added it to my dvr. 

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2013, 12:20:13 »
It's a show deeply indebted to Bladerunner, and I'm also getting shades of Ghost in the Shell.  That said, it doesn't yet measure up to either of those properties.  Karl Urban's character is still sketchily drawn and creating a romantic connection between him and Minka Kelly this early is definitely a mistake - it closes off some interesting story possibilities and will short-circuit their ability to do some character development.  In fact, most of the characters so far are at most one-dimensional (Urban showed a bit more in the second episode and Michael Ealy's Dorian is obviously the highlight).  That said, it's still early in the show, and there's solid promise in the issues they're tackling.  I'm going to be sticking with this one for a while.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2013, 12:56:42 »
I enjoyed it, although I got more of an iRobot feel from it. Cop hates robots, cop has robotic body parts as a result of a bad on the job injury, cop must work with a "damaged/defective" robot to save everybody.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2013, 14:12:52 »
I really liked it, Its got great production and as other have said has a nice blade runner feeling. Which of course means it will be canceled in 5 episodes so enjoy it while you can  #P
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2013, 15:08:32 »

Fox is bringing back The Following back in January, so Almost Human or Sleepy Hollow will be leaving Monday night, either to another night or on hiatus
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2013, 16:53:25 »
I believe Sleepy Hollow has a short season, ie 12-13 episodes.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2013, 23:44:35 »
I decided to watch it tonight on a replay.
first episode I liked the former gf bothered me a little bit but I get it as a plot device / conflict thing
2nd episode I am about 3/4 though and in a way I am about ready to turn it off ... not that its a bad story but that the bad guys are so creepy evil sick that it really is bothering me.

of course the fact that I was writing a story about a rifts char I made a little bit before probably contributed a bit to my my mental solution for the best most effective way to deal with the perps.....

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2013, 00:04:03 »
I decided to watch it tonight on a replay.
first episode I liked the former gf bothered me a little bit but I get it as a plot device / conflict thing
2nd episode I am about 3/4 though and in a way I am about ready to turn it off ... not that its a bad story but that the bad guys are so creepy evil sick that it really is bothering me.

of course the fact that I was writing a story about a rifts char I made a little bit before probably contributed a bit to my my mental solution for the best most effective way to deal with the perps.....

I understand where you're coming from. The stuff they were doing was just...  #P
And that's the same reason why I don't watch L&O:SVU. I like the detectives (think they are the best of all the L&O series), but I just can't stand watching the stories. And ditto for Criminal Minds.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2013, 07:24:48 »
I'm enjoying it, throw in some references to megacorps and it can almost be Shadowrun-esque.

That said, I watch Sleepy Hollow too and I'd like to see both back next season.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2013, 08:15:04 »
I was introduced to RPG via Cyberpunk and was a real nerd in that area about 20 years ago. :)

I absolutely loved the first two episodes. It's Cyberpunk 2.0.

Although show stats are not that reassuring. It seems like they did not hit the initial target. I hope it will last longer than "Trauma" or "SGU".

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2013, 18:46:37 »
I really hope it lasts too. It seems like it has a lot of potential. However there are two things that make me very nervous:
1) It's an Abrams produced show. If he actually has a hand in it, then his shows seem to do okay. If he merely produces it...not so much.
2) Its a sci-fi show. On Fox. Need I say more?

I think the networks want instant hits, especially for how expensive sci-fi show generally are. However it seems like most take a least the better part of a season to get established. But most networks don't seem to want to wait that long.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2013, 21:55:37 »
I enjoyed it, although I got more of an iRobot feel from it. Cop hates robots, cop has robotic body parts as a result of a bad on the job injury, cop must work with a "damaged/defective" robot to save everybody.

It was the first thing i thought of when i saw the preview. I wondered if they were doing to name the robot R.Daniel Olivaw. I see they didn't bring over the 3 laws of robotics.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Tiger1833

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2013, 23:43:59 »
I thought it was very entertaining and had humor at all the right parts.  I like the show and it is added to my list.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2013, 11:39:10 »
It was the first thing i thought of when i saw the preview. I wondered if they were doing to name the robot R.Daniel Olivaw. I see they didn't bring over the 3 laws of robotics.

The interplay between Kennex and Dorian reminded me of Elijah and Daneel from Caves of Steel, right off the bat.  It's a pretty good show, it's got suspense, action and humor and both lead actors play their parts well, even if Kennex is a bit stereotypical.  I'll be sticking with it.

I really hope it lasts too. It seems like it has a lot of potential. However there are two things that make me very nervous:
1) It's an Abrams produced show. If he actually has a hand in it, then his shows seem to do okay. If he merely produces it...not so much.
2) Its a sci-fi show. On Fox. Need I say more?

I think the networks want instant hits, especially for how expensive sci-fi show generally are. However it seems like most take a least the better part of a season to get established. But most networks don't seem to want to wait that long.

Some good points there.  Abrams had more of a hand in Fringe, which despite not having ideal ratings was able to last 5 seasons (one of my favorites, btw).  Hopefully what influence he has will be felt enough to keep this one going long enough to give it a good run. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2013, 21:08:59 »
So just watched the third episode. And if there were any doubts, I'm completely sold on this series. I seriously hope it will have a good run. I will say there have been several disturbing issues with the episodes so far, and yet it has something many shows don't seem to have anymore. "Hope", I don't really know how to put it. Especially for a near-future show, yes there are problems in this world, but I certainly wouldn't call it dystopian. And I like that.

Also the chemistry between Urban and Ealy is just fun to watch. And their take-down of the baddies in this one is just...Epic!  8) ;D

And a lot of the tech have been seeing in the show...super sweeet!  :D
Some awesome toys in there...  ;D
« Last Edit: 26 November 2013, 21:20:24 by YingJanshi »

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2013, 13:06:25 »
I like the show.  Very blade runner/ cyberpunk.  Production value is good, but I do say its very much a re do of the Cop odd partners formula.  All In all its a awesome show which means fox will cancel it after the second season, or put it into a crap time slot.  sadly enough its a better sci fi show then , whats on sy fy these days.  I do like how its slick but not all nano, star trek wonder tech. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2013, 18:02:52 »
So had another episode last night.
Thought it had some interesting ideas in it.

Honestly one thing I'm really liking so far, is that each episode is different. They aren't trying to solve a murder every episode (which seems to be what every cop show these days is about). They give themselves more room to create stories.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2013, 19:57:08 »
I've seen AH up to EP.2 and I like how the plots are differentiated, not trapped to a major plot line, but independent, like star trek (whichever you choose, I like next gen the most). Karl Urban is a great actor too. He would have actually made a better Jack Reacher than Cruise IMO.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2013, 22:54:42 »
So had another episode last night.
Thought it had some interesting ideas in it.

Honestly one thing I'm really liking so far, is that each episode is different. They aren't trying to solve a murder every episode (which seems to be what every cop show these days is about). They give themselves more room to create stories.

I think that may be my main draw to it so far, the whole not every crime is murder aspect.  Frankly I've grown a bit tired of how every crime seems to be either a spy ring/major conspiracy or murder, or often both in other shows.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2013, 10:45:55 »
I love this show, I think it is done in a unique fashion with a bit of everything.  And you have to love the line from the other night...that was priceless

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2013, 16:07:23 »
I'm waiting for them to assault a slum complex because a major drug cartel is manufacturing drugs there... Oh wait...

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 16 December 2013, 13:44:24 »
Up through ep 4 and I'm enjoying the comedy between the characters, very good writing in that aspect. I hope it gets picked up and gets a good run.

I thought I read somewhere that Sleepy Hollow had already been picked up for a full second season.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2013, 14:36:43 »
Sleepy hollow should be. That's lightning in a bottle.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 18 December 2013, 21:39:15 »
Watched Episode 6 on Hulu tonight . . . I am really liking this, while providing entertainment the show is also willing to delve into philosophy and be introspective.  I sometimes feel as if I am watching Data-like moments, but with the emotions chip.

The DNR is portrayed in an interesting way.  Taking out the eye to show it off strikes me as a very male 'gizmo' moment.  Dorian is very up front about being a android and in comparison to the other series- the Ken doll comments in Episode 5- seems to show he does not take himself super seriously.

With that said, its Fox . . . its not a reality show so it will be canceled before it gets off the ground.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 18 December 2013, 21:48:24 »
Watched Episode 6 on Hulu tonight . . . I am really liking this, while providing entertainment the show is also willing to delve into philosophy and be introspective.  I sometimes feel as if I am watching Data-like moments, but with the emotions chip.

The DNR is portrayed in an interesting way.  Taking out the eye to show it off strikes me as a very male 'gizmo' moment.  Dorian is very up front about being a android and in comparison to the other series- the Ken doll comments in Episode 5- seems to show he does not take himself super seriously.

See, that's why I really like this show. Yes there is comedy, drama, some action. Yet there is a deeper, more thoughtful undercurrent. Seems rather rare these days to have a network show that makes you think.

With that said, its Fox . . . its not a reality show so it will be canceled before it gets off the ground.
Awww....don't remind me!!! Gonna make me cry... :'(

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2013, 21:50:18 »
I watched the latest episode last night, loved it, too bad we have to wait three weeks for the next one.  The bit where the other DNR goes running off to take out that "pep" was so laugh out loud funny that I had to stop the show and compose myself before continuing.  I'm liking this show more then Agents of SHIELD.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2013, 22:15:40 »
I watched the latest episode last night, loved it, too bad we have to wait three weeks for the next one.  The bit where the other DNR goes running off to take out that "pep" was so laugh out loud funny that I had to stop the show and compose myself before continuing.  I'm liking this show more then Agents of SHIELD.

I totally see what you mean now. Wow...someone almost owed me a doctor's visit. Was eating dinner...nearly choked laughing so hard...