Author Topic: No more Voice of Truth?  (Read 9551 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
No more Voice of Truth?
« on: 26 January 2011, 11:43:58 »
Very nice to see the forums back, even if everything isn't 100% yet.

I see the Voice of Truth forum is no longer around.  Since the "Stone Age" has now officially begun, is the VoT no longer necessary/relevant?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: No more Voice of Truth?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 11:57:58 »
I don't, even as a Word of Blake fan myself, think it's necessary to bring it back.  I can't think of anything we could discuss that wouldn't fit neatly in General or the Successor States board.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 12:10:11 »
The boards weren't that popular, adn alot of thet topics that could have been there were at other boards on the forum.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 12:27:08 »
Anyone has list of WoB commanders saved?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 12:41:32 »
I can certianly rebuild it fairly quick.  Would just want to know where I should post it for easy access.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Midnightsun

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 17:51:33 »
Sad to see it go.

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 19:19:19 »
It was nice to get some Jihad info from, but that could more or less be rolled in the Successor States.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 19:26:47 »
RIP Voice of Truth, you almost redeemed humanity  [notworthy]

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 19:53:46 »
Well, really, Terra and the Word of Blake are based in the Inner Sphere. And the Successor States section is entirely devoted to discussions about IS powers, so it only seems reasonable for both Terra and the Word to be included.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 19:58:51 »
Well, really, Terra and the Word of Blake are based in the Inner Sphere. And the Successor States section is entirely devoted to discussions about IS powers, so it only seems reasonable for both Terra and the Word to be included.

Perhaps rename Successor States to Inner Sphere?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 20:01:38 »
Wouldn't mind it.  We've already got a Hegemony thread in there anyway, and that's for darn sure not a Successor State.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 20:13:27 »

The only problem I foresee with this change, would be the IS Clan fans who, like myself, regularly discuss such matters in the Chatterweb. An Inner Sphere board would, I suppose, also include the IS Clans.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 20:23:31 »

The only problem I foresee with this change, would be the IS Clan fans who, like myself, regularly discuss such matters in the Chatterweb. An Inner Sphere board would, I suppose, also include the IS Clans.

I think at that point it's just getting pedantic.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 20:28:17 »
I agree, "Inner Sphere" is a region of space not an individual power. With the Clan home worlds gone dark the Clans now have both feet in the IS. The IS versus Clan format is outdated.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 20:31:13 »

I would thought that point would be mentioning that that ComStar/Word of Blake were never Successor States either...

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 20:38:26 »
I agree, "Inner Sphere" is a region of space not an individual power. With the Clan home worlds gone dark the Clans now have both feet in the IS. The IS versus Clan format is outdated.

The IS factions tend to be grouped - Terra, Ma Bell, Evil Bell, and the Successor States.  It's the only really convenient label we have for those powers as a group.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 21:08:11 »

Agreed. I try not to make the distinction often. But for Moderation's sake, I suppose it makes sense.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2011, 22:33:06 »
I think ditching the Voice of Truth was a good idea, but the Successor States section should have been renamed Inner Sphere. A section devoted to mercenaries might not have been a bad idea either. Or maybe a section for all factions that don't easily fit into one category like mercs, the Coterie, religious groups, etc.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2011, 22:48:13 »
The Jihad is close to finished, so I can see the end of Voice of Truth, but having individual sections for every power is just crazy. Leave it as it is, its worked very well so far. If someone wants to find a list of WoB commanders or various WoB Celestial variants then they can use the search feature. Its what its for isn't it?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2011, 00:09:08 »
I think ditching the Voice of Truth was a good idea, but the Successor States section should have been renamed Inner Sphere. A section devoted to mercenaries might not have been a bad idea either. Or maybe a section for all factions that don't easily fit into one category like mercs, the Coterie, religious groups, etc.

The "League of Non-Aligned Factions?" ;D

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 27 January 2011, 00:14:30 »
"The Other Guys"

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 January 2011, 02:34:02 »
The "League of Non-Aligned Factions?" ;D

Sounds evil.

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #22 on: 27 January 2011, 03:35:30 »
I think everybody just got really burnt out.  :D

If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2011, 08:15:50 »
Enough hard radiation will do that...

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2011, 09:50:14 »
Well, I had a question about Terra, so I guess it can go on the Capellan-vs-Davion Successor States board.
And I suppose the Republic does count as a new Successor State, after all.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2011, 10:01:47 »
Unless a nation is actively trying to reestablish the Star League, I'd don't think it qualifies as a Successor State.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2011, 10:57:08 »
Unless a nation is actively trying to reestablish the Star League, I'd don't think it qualifies as a Successor State.

So, by that line of reasoning, even the other Inner Sphere powers no longer qualify as Successor States...?

cheers,

Gabe

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2011, 10:58:51 »
Yes, exactly.

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #28 on: 28 January 2011, 01:30:12 »
None of the Great Houses have been doing more than 'kill the other guys' for a LONG time...I suppose once the other guys are dead you can claim to be the Star League reborn

Dracounguis

« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2011, 01:47:29 »
Since the "Stone Age" has now officially begun,

I find it funny the "stone age" is full of hi-tech level 3 weapons and equipment, we didn't have in the 'high tech' age. ;D

Register