Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 249491 times)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Also note during the Wars of Reaving the Clans HPG was knocked out but their IS counterparts were not.  Whatever took out the HPG may be exclusive to the technology only in the IS. 

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
The Clan and Inner Sphere networks got hit.
Only isolation prevented contagion.
Elements of both HPG networks are still operational.
All Clan Warships have HPGs. Some got infected, some didn't.
Some of the Sea Fox network is still operational.

I think that covers the basics.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Clans have their equivalent of the old ComStar DRUM network...

Just saying... read the Cassion description.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Clans have their equivalent of the old ComStar DRUM network...

Just saying... read the Cassion description.

TT

None of which has exempted them- the Clan's HPGs still use the same medium to send messages.  Medium has changed, they cannot rip the hole in reality to squirt a message since it is no longer with in the design tolerances.  The Scorpion Empire is far enough away the changes to the medium are still within their HPG design tolerances.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
None of which has exempted them- the Clan's HPGs still use the same medium to send messages.  Medium has changed, they cannot rip the hole in reality to squirt a message since it is no longer with in the design tolerances.  The Scorpion Empire is far enough away the changes to the medium are still within their HPG design tolerances.
Some of it was the medium, some of it was hardware damage, some of it was software. Remember, there were a handful of HPGs scattered all over the IS that were still working.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Yeah, there are a handful and the one that we knew was mobile we never heard about again- did it work if it jumped?  More were damaged or destroyed as time went on in a single-case replay of 1SW.

But the hardware damage & software hacking/worms were part of distractions or to disguise that certain places would not be effected by the medium change.  Since it is psuedo-Science-McGuffinism . . . while the waterbed/bowling ball analogy was good, a better one would be dealing with salt water and the thermocline.  Signals can bounce off the thermocline, bounce off & penetrate (basically split), and penetrate . . . which can make range or even hearing signals difficult.  And some places are perfect, because of location & local water conditions, to hear signals that are half the planet away . . . like the HPGs that still function, the topography of hyperspace (medium) was not changed enough to go outside the tolerances of the current equipment.

The HPG crash, lol, uses pop science of the 2000s rather than the 80s.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Research question: Have we seen much evidence over the years of the Aimags (rather than Sea Fox terrestrial holdings or the Clan Protectorate) making use of vehicular forces?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Not really.  That, however,  does not mean they don't use vehicles.  The Sea Foxes seem to mostly field 'mechs and elementals.  Lots or supernova trinaries. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
Question about Barbara Sennet, saKhans, command keshiks, and galaxy colors...  I'd like to paint up the trinary that the Diamond Sharks were allowed to bring as observers during the Clan Invasion (and may or may not have deployed as the same unit at Tukayyid).  They brought the Diamond Skate, but I'm unclear on whether Hawker and Sennet were organically part of it, or just Hawker, or if both were more like guest stars.  My guess is that Hawker was part of the unit but Sennet was still officially part of Gamma Galaxy?  If so, would she have displaced one of the 15 members when the unit deployed?  Would she have repainted her mech in Alpha Galaxy's blue?

The Battle of Tukayyid story, Always Moving, portrays Sennet's Summoner Prime in Gamma Galaxy colors (green with blue/silver trim).  Unlike in the early part of the invasion, Gamma Galaxy was present at Tukayyid so she wouldn't have had to deploy with the Diamond Skate.  Hawker is in a Dire Wolf (as described in the 1994 sourcebook) with no further info other than it sounds like a Prime at that battle, but it's safe to assume he'd be in the usual Alpha Galaxy colors. 

It may very well be that Sennet's mech would look different during the invasion than at Tukayyid.  If that's the case, I'm not sure which I'll choose.

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
I was watching this oldie but goldie classic of a movie!

This has me laughing as I could only think of a certain particular faction...  >:D

https://youtu.be/ZAZhtT-dUyo

BezimusPrime

• Recruit
Greetings all

Which Sea Fox kharnate, if any, covers the region around the Filtvelt Coalition? From what I've been able to find there are several possibilities:
  • Fox Kharnate, as they cover the Federated Suns/Draconis Combine boarder region.  Which by 3150 is getting much closer ...
  • Skate Kharnate covers Federated Suns/Capellan Confederation boarder.
  • It could fall through the gaps and so no kharnate covers it. Or
  • As it falls in a gap, the ilKharnate covers it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Pretty sure we have no idea.  I'd go with Fox Khanate in the interim.

Makes me wish for a Sea Fox Sourcebook!  Complete with a Phonebook section just like Wolf Clan Sourcebook and Jade Falcon Sourcebook.  It will likely never happen, but if I can do anything at all, I can dream.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Complete with a Phonebook section just like Wolf Clan Sourcebook and Jade Falcon Sourcebook. 

As a Wolf fan, as interesting as that was the first time I saw it, it is SO not needed.

Takes away all the fun of tailoring a unit to fit your needs if everything is spelled out for you.

Not that I don't like some detail, just that, somewhere between FM Descriptions & Phonebook is what I would call ideal.

Maybe like the "Overview" part of the Phonebook in the beginning......
Where it gives you down to the Trinary Name & CO, but doesn't go into all 3 stars & all 15 mechwarriors, etc etc.

I guess I just want it to tell me I 3rd Star is a Recon star, but don't spell out the 5 members & mechs for me.
IIRC, I think that format is also how Invading Clans handled the other 5 clans of the invasion.

I also liked the notable members section where you normally got a Star Captain (or lower) bio in addition to the Cluster Commander.

A trinary description line could be as simple as:   Alpha Trinary  (Assault, Fire, Recon)
The Notable pilots gives me the CO of the cluster of 1 of the 5 Trinaries & its up to me to fill in the remaining 3+ Star Captains & all the lower ranks.

Anyway, that's me,  I need enough detail to know....... How is the 3rd Guards cluster built in terms of formation/size?   W/O being told, No, there are no Warhawks in the cluster & Mechwarrior #3 in Star #10 is Named Joe.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Greetings all

Which Sea Fox kharnate, if any, covers the region around the Filtvelt Coalition? From what I've been able to find there are several possibilities:
  • Fox Kharnate, as they cover the Federated Suns/Draconis Combine boarder region.  Which by 3150 is getting much closer ...
  • Skate Kharnate covers Federated Suns/Capellan Confederation boarder.
  • It could fall through the gaps and so no kharnate covers it. Or
  • As it falls in a gap, the ilKharnate covers it.

You also have independent Fox traders like the one the Lyran diplomat von Texira ran into on Sudeten, though they might also fall under the ilKhanate's (minimal) oversight.
Colt Ward

BezimusPrime

• Recruit
Thanks for the info everyone.  I'm still catching up with all the past 25ish years of material.  I read Hunters of the Deep and everything in the Sarna articles, the 3145 Field Manual and Era Guide, but I wasn't sure if I'd missed another source that might have the info.

Makes me wish for a Sea Fox Sourcebook!  Complete with a Phonebook section just like Wolf Clan Sourcebook and Jade Falcon Sourcebook.  It will likely never happen, but if I can do anything at all, I can dream.

I pulled out my old Jade Falcon sourcebook, and realized that if you took out the TO&E and the new mechs, you could probably probably get it down to 32 pages.  Maybe after the Battletech Universe book that comes out next year they could do a line of faction books similar to the ilClan Recognition Guides. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
I'd buy them, in a heartbeat!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Ya know something?

I could really go for an updated versions of the old Crusader and Warden books....

With either more updated lore OR an updated who's who now ( 3100 ).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Ya know something?

I could really go for an updated versions of the old Crusader and Warden books....

TT
  Take my bear krona!!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Ya know something?

TT

Seems like everything since the 3060 FM Series has been "Era-Updates" for it.
FMU, FM3085, FM3145, etc etc.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
True, but everything is spread out...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Pardon me if this has already been discussed, I’m not tracking back through 43 pages of thread to find it.  :P

Anyway, what do the Sea Foxes sell?  And before you say “anything, if you’ve got the right coin”, note that in Recognition Guide 5, for instance, it noted that the Foxes don’t sell the Hammerhead to non-Clan buyers.  So there’ve got to be some restrictions.  Do we have any idea what they are?  Is there guidance in a book somewhere as to what the Foxes sell to the IS, what they sell to fellow clans, and what they refuse to sell (if anything)?  If nothing that neat, what best guesses can we make from evidence we do have?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
The MUL filtered by rec guides and then look at availability. It might not tell you who they sell to exactly, as opposed to non-sea fox trade or massive salvage operations, but combined with the production info in the rec guides and the fluff pieces it’ll get you close.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
One thing we know they do not sell is the Tiburon . . . sort of consider their Orion IIC.

They are traders . . . they look for a surplus and seek to sell it in a area of high demand, they have two examples of this in MWDA novels.  They also look for well made, and high value, products to sell- I want to say Petr Kalasa was noticing how well built and refined a hoverlimo was on Oriente and made a mental note to see about exporting some to other worlds that would appreciate it's style and sophistication.

Honestly, I would expect most of their trade (60%? 70%?) has little or nothing to do directly with war materials.
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Sure.  I was more wondering what Clantech an IS unit could buy from the Foxes, but I suppose the CO might want a good HoverLimo IIC as well.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, the RecGuides were a sales catalogue- it just had notes about what would not be sold too.  Then you get FM3145 Mercs, anything the Foxes made in there was for sale, some was specifically made for sale.  Plus you get things like the Gossamer the Ravens let the Foxes sell, as long as it is not to the Dracs.
Colt Ward

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
Sure.  I was more wondering what Clantech an IS unit could buy from the Foxes, but I suppose the CO might want a good HoverLimo IIC as well.

Well, I mean, apparently they are selling the Coyotl to the Capellan Confederation, according to the MUL, because how else is the CapCon getting one of the best Medium Omni-Mechs in the game?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Well, I mean, apparently they are selling the Coyotl to the Capellan Confederation, according to the MUL, because how else is the CapCon getting one of the best Medium Omni-Mechs in the game?
TRO Golden Century says that in the mid 3140s the Sea Foxes decided to revive the design & start selling it again.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Frankly speaking, there's no real restrictions as to what the Sharks sell to who. There are a handful of Sea Fox exclusives, but those units are by and large untied to the technology they use. We could potentially assume that they only sell proprietary designs that use hardened armor or Harjel II/III to Clan customers, but that remains little more than an assumption.

Generally speaking, I'd guess that any "semi-exclusive" products---like the aforementioned Hammerhands---are only that way because the Foxes are either targeting a specific market, or attempting to drive up demand. I'm sure that if a mercenary outfit were to approach them for a Hammerhands, they'd sell one all the same.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

CJC070

• Lieutenant

Generally speaking, I'd guess that any "semi-exclusive" products---like the aforementioned Hammerhands---are only that way because the Foxes are either targeting a specific market, or attempting to drive up demand. I'm sure that if a mercenary outfit were to approach them for a Hammerhands, they'd sell one all the same.

Or “semi-exclusive” is a way to drive up the price or increase demand.  And I believe the mech is Hammerhead. 

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Derp, always fudge up its name for some reason. Shame on me.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Register