Author Topic: Worth doing - "Mini of the fortnight"?  (Read 34586 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Worth doing - "Mini of the fortnight"?
« on: 04 September 2016, 21:01:20 »
So, I'm thinking we have our 'Mech/Warship/Character/Beverage of the Week threads ... why not a "Mini of the XXX" thread?

Basically, a chance for us to go back to our existing collections, post up a pic of stuff we've done over the years, and to talk about how much we liked (or not) the sculpt, discuss resculpts, and basically share at a mini-appreciation level.

I'm thinking it should be less frequent than "of the week", just in terms of giving folks a chance to dig up their old minis/pics.

So ... anyone interested? I'd propose starting with the venerable Hunchback as our first "Mini of the Fortnight". It's been around forever, it's as simple a build as you can get, it's been the subject of many conversions to one of its variety of configurations, and - in my humble opinion - it's one of the greatest minis to paint, and virtually impossible to paint badly.

We can explore more obscure, or more complicated, minis in future discussions, but let's start with making this a festival of all things Hunchie!

Anyone else in? Thread to go up next Monday.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
Re: Worth doing - "Mini of the fortnight"?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2016, 23:33:12 »
Sounds fun!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2016, 04:20:53 »
Sounds good!

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2016, 10:10:46 »
Great idea!  I am in!  :)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2016, 09:08:44 »
Sure. I don't have a Hunchie painted yet, but this might be impetus for me to finish, and maybe work up a map-scale bash, too.  O0
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2016, 13:32:56 »
Like it!!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2016, 13:59:08 »
May give me the incentive to get a Hunchback.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2016, 11:42:15 »
Did someone say Hunchbacks?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2016, 20:03:21 »
Did someone say Hunchbacks?

Don't go premature on us, soldier!  ;D

When I open the floodgates, feel free to post up group, individual, whatever pics you want. It's a celebration of all things Hunchie - including swaybacks, IICs, you name it. But, everyone, do try and give us a little context. When did you paint it, what techniques were you trying out, why do you like it (or not), that sort of thing. Let's get some chatter going!

W. O0
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2016, 20:39:29 »
Gotcha!

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2016, 08:44:56 »
I have little painted, but I'm very interested in seeing this go up. I learn a great deal from the miniatures subforum.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2016, 18:13:07 »
So are we talking Monday the 12th or the 19th for this? I have a IIC that I could probably contribute.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2016, 19:23:42 »
Monday 12th. I'll post a thread. Remember, celebration of all things Hunchie, and we ideally want folks to talk about their, or others, minis.

On the subject - what'll be the next Mini of the Fortnight? I'd suggest something common, relatively simple, which has been around for ages. Every so often we can throw in an uncommon or complex mini, but let's try and keep this rolling with minis lots of us have.

W.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2016, 19:59:32 »
I'd definetely be interested!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2016, 05:47:47 »
Annnnnnd ... it's up!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54538.0

So ... next fortnight's mini. I think we need to go Clan. Shall we go Timberwolf or Mad Dog, or top end with Warhawks or Direwolves? Or is there a better Clan mini we can agree on?

W.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2016, 07:51:11 »
Annnnnnd ... it's up!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54538.0

So ... next fortnight's mini. I think we need to go Clan. Shall we go Timberwolf or Mad Dog, or top end with Warhawks or Direwolves? Or is there a better Clan mini we can agree on?

W.

THOR!!!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2016, 08:23:48 »
On the subject - what'll be the next Mini of the Fortnight? I'd suggest something common, relatively simple, which has been around for ages. Every so often we can throw in an uncommon or complex mini, but let's try and keep this rolling with minis lots of us have.

W.

Centurion.

I have at least three, plus some I've painted for others. Next to the Warhammer, Marauder, Beemer and MadCat, it defines the standard BattleMech layout. I even made a bunch of map-scale Cents as generic Mech stand-ins.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2016, 08:25:11 »
If we're going clan, Thor would be okay, although iconic Mad Cat would be better.  ;)

As for Mechs of the Fortnight in general, maybe we can stick with stuff from Mech Commander as a start.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2016, 08:51:40 »
Can we add pics to a post even if we're late by a week or two?

#P

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2016, 13:45:08 »
THOR!!!

This coming from someone with a marauder as their avatar? Really?  ;)

Marauder!

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2016, 20:28:52 »
Non-Clan, so a fortnight from sometime soon, but Thunderbolt, Dragon, or Zeus because I painted them...and may take pictures of them.  Besides, I'm color blind so it will be amusing for the rest of you.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2016, 20:48:50 »
I'm all in favour of Zeus. But I think we need to let our Clanner friends come out to play.

At the moment, Summoner / Thor seems to be more ahead than anything else. Barring a late rush of Ice Ferret fanciers ;)

One thing - which I haven't really considered - is, in the new world of Classics, whether we want to confuse people by showing Macross/Dougram minis*. Given the Classic Shadowhawk is just hitting the stores, we might hold this one until more people have their hands on them. Just a thought.

W.

* Yes, I know ... but CGL are doing us a favour by maintaining (aka 'paying for') the forums. Ain't going to stop anyone posting Unseen pics, no more than I've done in the last 15 years, but ... might be nice to do CGL a favour, when the Classics are there to be showcased. Feel free to discuss.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2016, 20:54:34 »
I can provide historical information on the Unseen, but after about a week from now I won't be able to contribute photographs. Not sure if that means anything to anyone. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2016, 21:14:33 »
I can provide historical information on the Unseen, but after about a week from now I won't be able to contribute photographs. Not sure if that means anything to anyone. :D

The Phantom Zone, again? Take your Thor pics now :)

Clarification - if it's not the Thor next week, it inevitably will be in the future.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2016, 22:30:34 »
The Phantom Zone, again? Take your Thor pics now :)

Clarification - if it's not the Thor next week, it inevitably will be in the future.

I have no painted Thors right now. Soon-ish, and I'll probably be yelled at by those people who are tired of the Clan Wolf Beta scheme.

But all of my Unseen are going away. O0
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2016, 22:41:27 »
Our operators are waiting to receive your unwanted Unseen, for safe storage in the Antipodean Sub-Surface Long-Term Respository O0

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2016, 04:39:30 »
Our operators are waiting to receive your unwanted Unseen, for safe storage in the Antipodean Sub-Surface Long-Term Respository O0
What he said, I think.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2016, 06:50:58 »
aka Worktroll's Basement
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2016, 07:25:43 »
Well, you should be able to find them with a little work, but be warned that the competition is already pretty strong. And enough about that.

I'm liking these "mini of the fortnight" things. I'd rather see minis that have gone through some changes rather than newer stuff, if only because there's only so much to be said about, say, the Tarantula.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2016, 14:41:38 »
I've got a couple Thors hanging aroundfor the fortnight thing, one in a crazy AA variant. However, I'd be interested in seeing Wolfhound make the fortnight topic. I'll jive with whatever though, I just like looking at mini's and commenting on them
« Last Edit: 15 September 2016, 14:47:04 by Vash The Stampede »
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))