Author Topic: Alpha Strike v Quick Strike v Battleforce  (Read 1187 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Alpha Strike v Quick Strike v Battleforce
« on: 17 March 2018, 23:45:57 »
Can someone break it down for me?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Alpha Strike v Quick Strike v Battleforce
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2018, 00:16:08 »
Quick Strike was replaced/renamed Alpha Strike.  Like BattleDroids became BattleTech. It's not a separate game (from Alpha Strike).

Both AS and BF use the same condensed stats. BattleForce is intended as a scaled up BattleTech, where you control a lance as a playing piece rather than a 'mech/vehicle/etc. Alpha Strike is a hybrid between the two. It uses the condensed stats of BF, but keeps the focus on single 'mech/vehicle as a playing piece.

Alpha Strike is based on a single unit moving/attacking, and it's scaling is (mostly) the same as BattleTech (just converted from hexes to inches). So the movement to range ratio is almost the same as BattleTech. An Alpha Strike unit can attack at long range up to 48" (24 hexes).  Ie. It's roughly the same scale for a single unit as the playing piece, same ranges, movement speed, etc.  (Roughly). 

BattleForce changes the scale, one BF turn is three BT turns, one BF hex across is three BT hexes across, so that ranges are divided by 3 (long range is 8 hexes, not ~24 hexes of BT). Instead of moving a single unit, you move a lance/star/level II as a single playing piece. 

That range difference and moving one 'mech/vehicle or a lance as a single piece are the major differences. There are other differences that come from those two (like AS having different movement modes, BattleForce having a command system, etc).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2018, 00:36:42 »
If I want to give Alpha a try without putting too much effort into terrain, how hard is it to convert to a hexmap?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2018, 01:36:05 »
If I want to give Alpha a try without putting too much effort into terrain, how hard is it to convert to a hexmap?

Easy.  There's rules already in the book for playing on a hex map rather than on a gaming table.  You can play Alpha Strike on your existing BattleTech maps.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2018, 05:10:28 »

Divide all mentions of inches by 2 to get the number of hexes.  Boom.  Done.  :)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2018, 05:50:44 »

Alpha Strike on hexmaps is the absolute best way to play Battletech.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2018, 08:30:25 »
Alpha Strike on hexmaps is the absolute best way to play Battletech.

I was running a Bulldog campaign and tried this because I wanted to do a bigger scenario. I was not displeased with the results.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2018, 09:08:37 »

There's a short chapter in the rulebook for using hexmaps.  Basically the 2" to 1 hex mentioned already, and the line of sight rules from battletech.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?