Author Topic: Von Rhors: To Sculpt or not to Sculpt.  (Read 4657 times)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Von Rhors: To Sculpt or not to Sculpt.
« on: 26 May 2011, 14:51:16 »
Hey Guys,

I am wanting to test the waters a bit for when fan funding reopens (again!) later in life.  I dig the Von Rhors mech, it has similar capabilities to the Dragon but to me is much more aesthetically pleasing.  normally that means stuffing money in a jar till I have enough to fan fund it solo, but I also have this really bad habit, since I work in marketing and sales.

I only want to fund things that I am confident would actually be bought by the battletech community.

so I ask this, would you as a miniatures hobbyist purchase Von Rhors miniatures if they were produced?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

ShockaTime

• Captain
Re: Von Rhors: To Sculpt or not to Sculpt.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2011, 14:59:32 »
Absolutely.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2011, 16:43:45 »
definitely, i've been hoping for it to be one of the regular releases for a very long time now
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

lonewolf256

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 16:52:02 »
Probably a lance worth, so 4 for me

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 17:05:45 »
Is there a reason this isn't being sculpted without fan-funding?

Curious as to why this hasn't been sculpted when most of the other 3075 mechs have been?

I like the Von Rohrs/Hebi, both versions (whether the variant was produced or not) and it would be easy to include an LRM-10 and dual SRM-4 piece to build either variant. 

Five pieces (head, legs/waist, torso, left arm, right arm) or perhaps 8 with poseable legs/waist.  Or one piece as seen in 3075?

I think it should have slightly less bulk than the RP Crusader and be a bit shorter.   Scaling makes or breaks mini purchases for me...the Hammerhands was good, the Battleaxe a horrible monstrousity.

I would buy a Von Rohs, fan-funded or not if it was well sculpted and properly sized.

If it is fan-funded and I contribute, I'd like to see progress pics and be able to "QC" the mini before it goes final and "its too late to do anything about it". 

Thought I found some minor issues with the Dark Crow, that mini gives me hope...what happend to the Crossbow must be avoided. 

If one contributes to fan-funding, how many minis do they receive based on their contribution?

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2011, 17:26:24 »
I would love to contribute toward this. Let me know when we can help fund this.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sawbones12

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2011, 17:39:13 »
Burning Chrome -- it is not that it won't ever be funded by IWM, it is just not yet on their list of items to be released.  Most of the other designs sculpted have not been erased from the histories of their manufacturing nations.  There is only so much money and only so much room on the release schedule -- not everything can be first and there are, to many fans, sexier, more desireable and perhaps better selling mechs and vehicles than the Von Rohrs to be sculpted and released first.  I suspect it will be done someday...

You're not really going to get the opportunity to critique the mech in the process of its sculpting -- I appreciate your concern but it is not your job to do that.  All efforts are made to get the size right at the beginning, point out the important features, clarify murky areas and then to correct any problems when the sculpt is initially finished -- before final approval by Topps and the master molds are made.

Please read the subject of the fan funding process for your answers re: the compensation.

Rob

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2011, 08:10:04 »
There is only so much money and only so much room on the release schedule -- not everything can be first and there are, to many fans, sexier, more desireable ...

Rob

on a related note, is the Wakazashi done yet ??   [drool] [drool]  is it ?  are we there yet ?  are we ?  are we ?

::) ::) ::)  :P

sorry , couldn't resist.   :-[
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2011, 09:48:07 »
Burning Chrome -- it is not that it won't ever be funded by IWM, it is just not yet on their list of items to be released.  Most of the other designs sculpted have not been erased from the histories of their manufacturing nations.  There is only so much money and only so much room on the release schedule -- not everything can be first and there are, to many fans, sexier, more desireable and perhaps better selling mechs and vehicles than the Von Rohrs to be sculpted and released first.  I suspect it will be done someday...

You're not really going to get the opportunity to critique the mech in the process of its sculpting -- I appreciate your concern but it is not your job to do that.  All efforts are made to get the size right at the beginning, point out the important features, clarify murky areas and then to correct any problems when the sculpt is initially finished -- before final approval by Topps and the master molds are made.

Please read the subject of the fan funding process for your answers re: the compensation.

Rob

Thank you for the information and I understand, but do not agree with not being able to critique a sculpt that I am partially funding.  It may not be my job, but it is my investment and believe other fund contributors would be upset if our contribution went towards creating a poorly proportioned, out of scale, incorrectly configured and detailed mini.

I do not think it is unreasonable for those who contributed to the project to receive pics of the sculpt and critique it before it goes into final production.  These groups of folks who finance minis do not seem to be too large and would most likely result in a better mini versus something that would suffer "death by committee".

I haven't seen a Dark Crow in person yet nor to scale with other minis, but your preview pics post was very much appreciated.  I noted the torso was a bit too tall (most likely others did too) which you acknowledge and stated it was too late to change.  IMHO that is a minor issue as the rest of the sculpt was pretty damn near perfect.  I only wish the Crossbow, Battleaxe, Warlord, Titan II and a few others could have been saved.

Getting a mini right the first time would prevent resulpts later.  How many has the Blood Asp had?

Variants would seem to be a relatively easy way to make IWM cash as well.  I'd personally would like to see the OTL-7M, OTL-8M and OTL-9R released.  All that is required is a new torso as the legs and arms from the OTL-5D or OTL-6D are already available.  Or perhaps just sell the torsos online?

Getting a bit off topic so I'll end this here.

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2011, 11:50:58 »
I'd love to get  my hands on a Von Rohrs.  [rockon]
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2011, 02:31:07 »

So would I
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2011, 10:46:35 »

I second that emotion.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Genyosha

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2011, 16:49:29 »
so I ask this, would you as a miniatures hobbyist purchase Von Rhors miniatures if they were produced?

No!

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2011, 17:10:07 »
While ideally being in a TRO it should get made, its not one I'd ever buy or fan-fund

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2011, 17:38:41 »
I'd buy one

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2011, 22:02:19 »
I will buy a pair, but, honestly, I'd prefer to buy a new, resculpted Pillager, in the scale of Atlas

My first vote would go to the Pillager.  Scale is off, it is the size of a Medium mech.  Needs to grow about 3/4" to be in the same ballpark as the other 100 tonners.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2011, 11:42:10 »
I'll get a couple, as long as it's not in the power ranger pose that they show at Sarna.net

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2011, 11:48:06 »
ROFL that's some funny shit there!
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2011, 09:29:55 »
If i ever have spare money again, I'd like the Vindicator from the XTRO, but I'd buy a Von Rohrs.

Paint it Steiner colors to irritate my Drac friends ;-)
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Register