Author Topic: Revenge of the 40th Marik Militia! (Alpha Strike)  (Read 1926 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Revenge of the 40th Marik Militia! (Alpha Strike)
« on: 27 April 2022, 04:07:02 »
The 40th Marik Militia was formed in the wake of the formation of the Republic of the Sphere. The formation of the Republic in 3081 was recognised by houses Kurita, Davion and Steiner, but neither House Liao, or any of the fragments of the erstwhile Free Worlds League, acknowledged the Republic's claim to worlds in their territory. The Republic Armed Forces (RAF)'s response - operation Golden Dawn - struck deep into these territories. The old Marik Commonwealth world of Stewart held out for months against Republic aggression, before being swamped by the RAF and their ill-favoured mercenary forces. The remainder of the Stewart Home Guard, plus some planetary militia forces, were repatriated to the remaining Commonwealth, where they formed the core of the 40th Marik Militia, whose colours had been in abeyance since the height of the 2nd Succession War. To mark their shame at being defeated, and to show the seriousness of their intent to regain Stewart, the 40th paint the heads, upper torso, hands, and feet of their 'Mechs black, along with the traditional purple with red & blue trim of the Marik Militia.

Now, in 3134, the 40th Militia’s time has come. After 50 years, they are returning to Stewart, to reclaim their ancestral home, and their honour. But the Republic of the Sphere is aware of their intentions, and has reinforced Stewart with heavy elements of the Republic Standing Guard.

So another game of Alpha Strike in my palatial basement gaming room! One of my oldest and best friends, the Adept, has been overseas for 3 years bringing the word to the Torontonians, but managed to get his work to send him back to Aus for a couple of months. Hencewith, a game! (the Adept got into BattleTech in the 80s with me, but moved away from BT around the FCCW.)

The usual crowd - the Lad, and the Great One - had commitments, but Schwer was able to come by. So this was to introduce the Adept to Alpha Strike. A fairly simple 2-lance on 2-lance game, set in the Republic era, with some interesting units. The attachment's a little big; let me work on it.

With the Adept and Schwer running the Republicans, and me the Marik Militia, battle commenced!

Light hills & woods, with a major highway down the middle of the map. The Republic's Heavy Battle Lance (top left) moved towards my Direct Fire lance (top right), while his Striker lance and my Heavy Battle Lance headed for positional advantages. Note the Stalking Spider II sneaking towards the top of the map ...

This is turn 3. Most of the Republican battle lance has moved back towards the 3 Striker Lance 'Mechs; the King Crab and Hellspawn have formed a redoubt in mid-top left with my Direct Fire lance advancing on them, and the Stalking Spider II has gone into spotting mode. I must say, the Adept (with the Striker Lance) used his Indirect Fire well, with the Stalking Spider II well positioned. The small Litko fire markers just add colour to non-lethal damage (such as taken by the Carronade)

Turn 4 or 5. First blood(s)! I claimed the Republic's Zeus X and savaged the King Crab, while my Carronade went down. Felt I was getting the better of things this turn.

About turn 9. I'd killed off the King Crab and the Hellspawn, losing the Anzu in the process. There were still two heavies facing off on the Stalking Spider II. I'd popped the Atlas - the AS7-K2 has a tough outer shell, but soft centre (A10 S4), and got target fixated on the Battlemaster. Which allowed the Republican Griffin and Hunchback into my Awesome's rear arc ...

Final turn, my Grand Titan was alone, the Ostsol and Thunderbolt having been taken down. With the Battlemaster, Griffin, Hunchback, and Stalking Spider II still in play on the other side, I gratefully accepted honours of war & left the field of battle, defeated.

Several good points:

1) I won initiative more often than the other side - always good :)

2) the Adept picked up Alpha Strike easily, enjoyed it, and can't see going back to Classic in a hurry. "We actually managed to finish a game!", and he's interested in another game if we can organise it before he has to head back.

3) The scenario ended up pretty even. I was doing better, with initiative being on my side, until I screwed up, and they were capable of turning the game around in short order.

4) And it was really great to use the minis I've been painting up in units in a great, friendly game!

Cheers, all!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Re: Revenge of the 40th Marik Militia! (Alpha Strike)
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2022, 04:11:03 »
Attachment? Nope. So, the hard way ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2022, 04:11:54 »
And the forces!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2022, 10:13:15 »
Wow, great write up!  I very much identify with that joy of being able to finish a game.  Our last Alpha Strike game featured two full Clan Stars against 4 Inner Sphere Lances, and we were able to finish in 10 rounds!  It is always great to see painted minis on the table.  Thanks for the pics!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2022, 14:24:48 »
Great report! Thanks!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2022, 09:08:09 »
One - Love the Forces, someone who does their AS Lists like me - with the Lance abilities on the side for aid.

Two - Am I understanding correctly, that the SKILL rating for the forces are all 5, except for the Zeus which is 4? Or is the Zeus an Actual veteran Pilot and should be SKILL 3 (Skill Rating Table Page 29, AS Commanders Edition)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2022, 22:10:48 »
Am I understanding correctly, that the SKILL rating for the forces are all 5, except for the Zeus which is 4? Or is the Zeus an Actual veteran Pilot and should be SKILL 3 (Skill Rating Table Page 29, AS Commanders Edition)

That was a typographical error and we played with the Zeus at skill 3 and the remaining mechs at skill 4. Not that it mattered because I am pretty sure I whiffed all of the Zeus's shots and it was promptly taken down by WorkTroll's superior gunnery!
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2022, 22:13:35 »
Ah, cool! otherwise, looks like a load of fun...and you share my curse of the Skilled pilot actually being the worst :P
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2022, 01:42:13 »
I did make the Zeus X a priority target; while one of the lower PV units in that lance, it looked scarier.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2022, 05:20:09 »
Love this! Great write up and looks like great fun!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067