Author Topic: When is a Battle Star not a Battle Star  (Read 1211 times)

Starman54

• Recruit
When is a Battle Star not a Battle Star
« on: 07 January 2023, 17:20:05 »
When it's included in the Alpha Strike 2022 set.
Scenario 2 Clan Jade Falcon Battle Star doesn't meet the requirements in the immediately following Force Building rules.

Seems strange considering the amount of detail the designers put into unit and force stats.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: When is a Battle Star not a Battle Star
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2023, 20:20:14 »
I noticed that as well. I suspect this is either an oversight or the result of a change that happened late enough in development in the box that they didn't want to re-balance scenarios or replace the listed formation.

It's also possible that they just handwaved things for fluff or balance, similar to how some pilot cards defy pretty much any SPA assignment rules I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 20:27:34 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2023, 20:26:28 »
Yeah...I saw that also and I'm going to give them a mea culpa since the rules are an introduction to AS.

You can easily solve this...buy more 'Mechs  :D
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2023, 21:10:01 »
i wonder if in planning someone used alternate configs to work up the star.. then they got reset to the prime variants somewhere along the way

Starman54

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2023, 18:22:12 »
Yeah...I saw that also and I'm going to give them a mea culpa since the rules are an introduction to AS.

You can easily solve this...buy more 'Mechs  :D
I have a few to choose from - creating a database, extracted the MUL for my collection and AS Clan Invasion cards. Missing movement data from the Alpha Strike Force Builder is a pain , the tonnage to SZ was easy enough, would be great if they added MV, Mvj , Role and SZ. Then I wouldn't have to copy and paste into a spreadsheet the MUL data (filtered for availability)  and  look up the weights and role from a similarly captured AS force build data.
The intent was to use it to generate lances and stars from my collection(80 mechs) and the AS cards I have for about 200 mechs in my AS spread sheet and don't fancy entering the movement from the cards or the pdf generated from the builder.

Register