Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 45470 times)

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #270 on: 11 December 2019, 12:51:45 »
so I got to play about 3 missions so far ( I suck at piloting lol I not use to having to use the set keys to steer lol( this due to custom configs in older games.)  but I can say a lot of graphic detail and power does get use. ( my 580 maxed out under high settings) and I feel you are going to need a higher end card ( or dual cards) to get some high frame rates

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #271 on: 11 December 2019, 13:09:21 »
This is more being a stickler for lore than anything, but why do they feel the need to change vehicles. Warrior H-7 with a Medium Laser and 2 SRM-2s? What was wrong with the AC-2 and SRM-4? J. Edgars with not a single lore variant, at least they changed the variant names unlike the Warrior. I have yet to pay attention long enough to Manticore tanks to see what they carry. Too busy killing them quick. They do have a PPC and LRM at least. Same with Harrasers that die quick but are a bit slow. Slow speed is the same with the J. Edgar. The Scorpion Tank seems to be the only one I have seen that isn't changed.

Edit - Manticore has the correct loadout. So 2 unchanged so far.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 14:11:48 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #272 on: 11 December 2019, 14:47:56 »
so I got to play about 3 missions so far ( I suck at piloting lol I not use to having to use the set keys to steer lol( this due to custom configs in older games.)  but I can say a lot of graphic detail and power does get use. ( my 580 maxed out under high settings) and I feel you are going to need a higher end card ( or dual cards) to get some high frame rates

Is your 580 the 8 gig? I just picked up an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS 8 gig Black Edition on cyber Monday along with another 8gig ram stick.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #273 on: 11 December 2019, 21:28:03 »
Ugh.

I hate being so disappointed, but this game's first showing and impressions are impressively mediocre. NPC animations looking like they were ripped from early No Man's Sky, static and ugly faces, awful hair textures, the whole nine. PGI's mechs and gameplay work fine, but the Mechlab should've aped HBSBT instead of going for this walkabout garbage.

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #274 on: 12 December 2019, 08:44:40 »
Is your 580 the 8 gig? I just picked up an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS 8 gig Black Edition on cyber Monday along with another 8gig ram stick.
  yes it is ( and i have the fans set to max speed)  Mine was a black Friday special from last year. ( and I consider getting either a second one or a geforce card for my next pc build.  I cant find a water block for this card due to it being a Best buy edition type deal ( I think it bs just a special sku)
Don't get me wrong  now the game preforms great I have everything turned up to max, and it not choppy at all. I just know when I ran the graphs for usage the gpu was maxed at 99% and my cpu was like only 40% ( now i do have a older model fx 8320 cpu ) and only the cpu is water cooled . I do have the cpu overclocked to about 4ghz and the gpu up to about 2100mhs memory speed( i not sure if i want ot overclock the gpu processor as it only a1400mhs chip and boosted to about 1475  from factory )
« Last Edit: 12 December 2019, 09:53:44 by mechnut450 »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #275 on: 13 December 2019, 13:58:37 »
So... did they happen to add a rear-facing camera? Or rear-facing radar/sensors at the very least? Big failure of MWO is the blindspot to your rear, IMO.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #276 on: 13 December 2019, 18:35:15 »
I am loving this game once you get out of the intro missions and the bad impressions from the badly animated NPCs. The game systems are ace and the mech action is perfect. Spawn points are the major thing that needs fixing and a year from now, after the game has received patches, DLC, and mods, it will be the definitive Mechwarrior game. Just remember how Battletech (HBS) was when it came out and how it matured since then. MW5 just needs some polish and some more updates and fixes, and it's set for a heavenly trajectory with content and mods.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #277 on: 13 December 2019, 20:50:33 »
I am loving this game once you get out of the intro missions and the bad impressions from the badly animated NPCs. The game systems are ace and the mech action is perfect. Spawn points are the major thing that needs fixing and a year from now, after the game has received patches, DLC, and mods, it will be the definitive Mechwarrior game. Just remember how Battletech (HBS) was when it came out and how it matured since then. MW5 just needs some polish and some more updates and fixes, and it's set for a heavenly trajectory with content and mods.

That is my hope when it becomes available outside of Epic Games.  I think I'll hold you to that  :))
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #278 on: 13 December 2019, 21:19:34 »
fyi  everyone there a update already  out for mw5

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #279 on: 15 December 2019, 09:05:09 »
Can anyone tell me, what exactly Hero Mechs do? Could have bought an Urbanmech Hero, but decided against it, because it ... Was an Urbie. Anyway, what would have been the difference to a regular Urbie?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #280 on: 15 December 2019, 11:09:59 »
Hero mechs are unique loadouts.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #281 on: 15 December 2019, 14:00:34 »
Tend to be upgraded tech too. Double Heat Sinks, Gauss Rifles, Pulse Lasers, etc. You can just buy them and strip them of their goodies to put on other mechs. Though you may end up losing the equipment later on to damage.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #282 on: 15 December 2019, 14:11:30 »
Thank you. Will take a look at the Urbie again, but even with upgraded tech it doesn't seem worth it.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #283 on: 15 December 2019, 14:11:46 »
I assume the same goes for "rare" variants?

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #284 on: 15 December 2019, 14:19:04 »
Rare variants tend to be Intro Tech but with no damage. Ready to go right out of the shipping container.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #285 on: 15 December 2019, 16:10:49 »
Thank you. Will take a look at the Urbie again, but even with upgraded tech it doesn't seem worth it.
Some also have unique hardpoint kits and extra tonnage to go along with that upgraded tech. Example, Atlas Boar's Head runs much faster than a regular Atlas. Or the Cicada X5 can mount light missiles. Or the Panther Katana Kat comes with the free tonnage to dual wield PPCs.

Generally, they are better due to being straight upgrades compared to the poor stocks in this game. (Literally no reason to use an AS7-K when the Atlas Kraken exists. No reason to use anything but the hero Shadowhawk, and no reason to use anything but the hero Panther.)

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #286 on: 15 December 2019, 21:22:31 »
cool to know i not seen hero mechs yet.. might still be early for me but i also nt seen much in way of mech salvage mainlt weapons lol. i just finished the  mining mission when i last played.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #287 on: 16 December 2019, 06:49:46 »
cool to know i not seen hero mechs yet.. might still be early for me but i also nt seen much in way of mech salvage mainlt weapons lol. i just finished the  mining mission when i last played.

Try traveling to a hub that is part of a "network", that's where I found the Urbie very early on.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #288 on: 16 December 2019, 19:17:26 »
New patch is out that fixes HOTAS support and spawn issues, along a wide range of other issues.

https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/12/19-mw5-mercs-patch

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #289 on: 18 December 2019, 14:44:19 »
Having watched Tirak's play on YT. I probably won't even get this after it stops being epic exclusive. It really looks terrible.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #290 on: 19 December 2019, 06:17:39 »
Having watched Tirak's play on YT. I probably won't even get this after it stops being epic exclusive. It really looks terrible.

I've been watching Baradul, and while I wouldn't call it terrible, it's most certainly underwhelming. Even with additional time the UI is horrible, the HUD is worse than MWO, and the AI looks worse than MW3.

It looks like PGI are committed to improving the game however, that's one good thing.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #291 on: 21 December 2019, 16:57:05 »

It's really good though.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #292 on: 21 December 2019, 21:49:23 »
I feel like the game would have been better if they'd used actual individual and unit tactics to increase the difficulty rather than endless waves of trash mobs to wear you down. Sure a greenhorn LRM carrier might mosey on right up to you and start circling, but the veteran crews will hang back outside of LoS and pelt you with missiles while you're brawling with other units. At higher difficulties, they might use one high speed (i.e. not coming to a hover) Warrior as a spotter while a platoon of LRM carriers together rains down. Instead of VTOLs hovering, having them operate in packs of 4-8, each one making a high speed slashing attack from a different direction, in series, so the window to engage is limited and exposes your other sides to attack at the same time.

Mechs already fight decently well, albeit occasionally at the wrong ranges (why do Griffins get up close to my Centurion?) or the sort of bravery best described by suicide attempts.

And occasionally, the objectives should be traps -- just ambushes to sucker in the player's lance and leave it up to us to figure it out and call for an evac.

Maybe it is just me, but that would be much more satisfying to play around with than waves of mooks, with the occasional big hitter to liven things up.

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #293 on: 22 December 2019, 00:45:37 »
 I'm not a hardcore veteran but I do remember playing in the first MechWarrior on a 286DX Turbo rocking EGA video.
I have watched so many 'let play' on YouTube I've decided just to wait awhile myself until a few more patches come out that fix the enemy spawning and AI.

but this is just my two cents

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #294 on: 22 December 2019, 03:20:37 »
I'm not a hardcore veteran but I do remember playing in the first MechWarrior on a 286DX Turbo rocking EGA video.
I have watched so many 'let play' on YouTube I've decided just to wait awhile myself until a few more patches come out that fix the enemy spawning and AI.

but this is just my two cents

The spawning has already hit the first round of fixes, quick patch-overs to make it less blatantly obvious they are spawning behind you. The next fix is supposed to be a bigger one but requires testing before implementation. The higher-level campaign gameplay, being a merc and getting paid to slay, is pretty solid though. When the in-mission gameplay is good, it is right up there with the previous incarnations. MW5 doesn't really have a huge delete button for mechs, at least early in the game, so fights are usually fairly meaty and reasonably drawn out.

I have to say that now that I have realized the weapons are simple tiers that the stripped-down mechlab really blasts my ass. The impression I had from AMAs was that the weapons were going to have tradeoffs between manufacturers, not just be an exercise in looking for more bars. HBS Battletech, despite their simplified + improvements at least retained the idea of opportunity costs (even if some were clearly superior to others, like the Kali Yama AC/20s vs. any other maker) so there were tradeoffs to be made in mounting one or another. That's hopefully the first thing the modders tackle; not just different tiers, but different advantages, like longer-burning but cooler-running large lasers or PPCs with a higher minimum in exchange for more damage. They already half-way did it with stream LRMs and burst-fire autocannons, so might as well go whole-hog. As of right now, it is a straitjacket.

As for nostalgic comparisons, MW2 was still an amazing game even though tactically the AI mechs only closed to short-range and started circling. They had no other tactics whatsoever, which was only disguised by the fact that in early missions your mech was (probably) so fast that you could force them between circling and pursuing with a single hard turn at high-throttle and in later missions by your weapons being able to delete hostile mechs at long range. I still remember (or rather, I cheated and reminded myself with a playthrough) of fingernail scraping the fire button with Ultra Autocannons because they'd fire like 10 rounds a second at TT-accurate damage values vs. TT-accurage armor values. Instant mech death.

Register