Author Topic: Vass' Chindits: Second Chances  (Read 34413 times)

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
Re: Vass' Chindits: Second Chances
« Reply #30 on: 12 June 2012, 08:22:29 »
Clarity of Purpose

Although hundreds of company or smaller sized units were destroyed during the Clan invasion, very few were able to turn that tragedy in their own favor. While the Black Outlaws are probably the best known, combining two shattered commands into one larger unit, some units went in another direction entirely.

Take the case of Vass' Chindits. Formed in the wake of the Fourth Succession War, the Chindits used AFFS doctrine of mobility and combined arms to make a name for itself as a light reconnaissance and special operations unit. Following their successful mission on Loyalty, a two-year stint of guerrilla warfare that culminated in the acquisition of the prototype Tramp-class jumpship, the Chindits were able to parlay that success into a significant expansion. Far from the expanded lance that many observers thought would merge into the 4th Battalion of MacCarron's Armored Cavalry in 3040, Vass used funds from corporate sponsors who wished to examine the new ship, expanding from a single Mech company with combined arms support into a full battalion.

Unfortunately, this quantity came at the expense of quality, relying on dispossessed MechWarriors and hiring smaller units whole cloth. Although Major Vass was apprehensive, she felt that the opportunities afforded to a larger unit would outweigh the risks, and that her core of veteran officers and noncoms would allow the unit to function as a cohesive whole with no more than two years of training. To that end, in 3049 Vass bypassed a number of combat intensive contracts with the Capellan Confederation in favor of a quiet two-year garrison contract in the Lyran periphery.

Although the Chindits escape significant action on Dompaire, their contract called for them to pull back to Blair Atholl and reinforce FedCom troops using it as a staging area. When the Jade Falcons attacked that world in October of 3051, the Chindits took to the hills, operating as an independent command in strike-and-fade operations. Very quickly, however, the Falcons realized what was happening, and set up a counter-ambush. More than 20 Chindit Mechs were destroyed, with most others sustaining significant damage. Personnel loses were equally high, with 18 Chindits killed or captured, including the commanding officers of the two additional companies, Captains Marinko Bogdan and Marlene MacNidder. The Chindits escaped Blair Atholl with barely the forces they had five years earlier, and those in significantly worse shape.

Although many units would have disbanded, the Chindits endured. Vass took a hard look at her decisions over the last several years, and realized that company command was her strong suit. To that end, the Chindits contracted, rather than expanding. A number of Chindit MechWarriors sold their older vehicles, using their personal funds and a contribution by Vass to purchase new Mechs better suited to both the new Clan battlefield and the Chindits revamped mission of special operations. Others simply refitted their Mechs with advanced technology as best as possible. The end result, however, was a newly rededicated Vass' Chindits, one modeled after independent company commands such as the Black Widow Company, Fox's Teeth and Second Chisholm Raiders doctrine. Although the Chindits would not face the Clans again until 3055, the result would be far different than their initial clash.

-Dr. Kyle Zarkas, Between the Cracks: Small Units During Large Wars, Hancock Press, Orkney, 3067

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2012, 11:04:35 »
The ComStar logo appears briefly on screen before being replaced by the face of Major Jennifer Vass. Attractive, her once red hair is shot through with streaks of gray, and she has a thin scar running from the corner of her mouth down her chin. At 55, she's still quite physically fit however. She's looking down at the computer keyboard, then looks up at the camera and smiles.

Okay, hi James. I know it's been a while, and I wanted to say hello. Figured I owed you a face-to-face, or as close as I could, so I'm splurging for the vid transmission. Well, actually, you are; my old MAC account was still active. You really should shut those down as subcontractors leave.

First off, I appreciate the offer, of course, but you know what I'm going to say. The Cavalry is a great outfit, but I can't give up the Chindits autonomy. That was your promise back in the 40's, too, and Kung and I didn't see eye to eye on that. But we're doing okay, now. The consolidation has really been great for us. We had to let a few people go, though, so if they show up on Menke, give them a tryout, okay? No original Chindits, but some good people.

Anyway, Jason's doing good. Annette has him working as an Astech in non-combat situations, and he's picking things up pretty quickly. Mech piloting is going well, too. I've got him training on Tof's Centurion, but I might let him take my Orion out next week. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, but I'm going to kill you for that Y chromosome you gave him. Were you as bad as he was at 14? No, I know how bad you were at 30, so it must have been even worse. He's got a full-on crush on Sue Chang, remember my recon lance commander? And she knows it too. He does all the maintenance on her Stinger whenever he can. She's not leading him on or anything, it's just a puppy-dog thing, but he thinks he's hiding it, and imagines she doesn't see the stars in his eyes whenever she climbs out of the cockpit. She's the youngest woman in the Chindits, so I'm not surprised. But maybe he can come spend some time with you when we get back. I remember that Lieutenant you had, he's got those twin girls. I'll bet that'd get him looking at girls his own damn age.

So, that's other thing I wanted to talk to you about. We're going to be deploying in a couple weeks, and it's going to be a long haul. We'll be out of touch for a while, and we can't tell you where. It's not really that high risk, but we're going to be out of touch until mid-57. When we get back, though, I'm thinking of a few months of R&R, if you wouldn't mind the visit? You and Jason could bond, and, well, I wouldn't mind seeing you either.

Okay, so, that's about it. Jason's going to be sending you a vid of his own in a few days, and don't mention anything about Sue. You know how teenagers are. Take care, and don't let Sun-Tzu get you killed. I'm just kidding, Maskirovka censors! Captain Jones is a credit to the MAC and loyal to the Celestial Throne.

She rolls her eyes and flips the middle finger.

Love you, James.

The ComStar logo appears, filling the screen

-Transmission from Major Jennifer Vass to Major James Jones, MacCarron's Armored Cavalry, November 2, 3054

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 12 June 2012, 21:26:49 »

Lt. Sung-Hee "Sue" Chang, in Vass' Chindits dress uniform, 3055. Note the Silver Sunburst above her operational ribbons (awarded for her actions against Clan Jade Falcon on Blair Atholl), and the non-standard belt buckle displaying her nation of origin.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 12 June 2012, 23:02:32 »

Lt. Sung-Hee "Sue" Chang, in Vass' Chindits dress uniform, 3055. Note the Silver Sunburst above her operational ribbons (awarded for her actions against Clan Jade Falcon on Blair Atholl), and the non-standard belt buckle displaying her nation of origin.

yep... I see why the kid likes her.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2012, 22:22:22 »
Next on the plate, warrior profile of Ria Tannon, the 3055-57 missing time, Operation Smooth Pave and more crappy photoshop! Oh, and I'll try for a Clan Invasion-era TO&E.

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 21 June 2012, 18:36:53 »
MechWarrior Ria Tannon, Recon Lance, 3048-?

Ria Tannon was born to farmers on the tiny world of Sackville. Lacking any prospects beyond taking over her parents farm if both of her older brothers died, she spent everything she had saved over 19 years and paid her way to Maxwell, where she applied to the Hero Training Institute. Defying all odds, she made it through training, and the technological renaissance of the 3040's allowed her to break into the changing ranks of the MechWarrior elite.

After service with the 15th and 31st Marik Militia, Tannon was transferred to the 4th Oriente Hussars. Ostensibly a premiere posting, the 4th was serving on Atreus in order to keep potential political dissidents out of Andurien. When news of the Chindits' guerrilla war on Loyalty went up the chain of command, the 4th Hussars 2nd Battalion was sent to root out the insurgents. In the Hussars first contact with the Chindits, Tannon's lance was destroyed, along with her Hermes II. Tannon was taken prisoner, putting Vass in a difficult position; she had no desire to execute prisoners in defiance of the Ares Conventions, but a mobile guerrilla war could not be fought hauling a prisoner.

Ambrosious Dell was the primary interrogator during Tannon's captivity. He treated her kindly, in what Vass though was the traditional 'good cop' role. After a week, he shocked Vass by recommending Ria Tannon be given her parole, based on her word that she would assist the Chindits whenever possible. Days of arguments followed, with Dell insisting she was to be trusted. Finally, Vass staged a false rescue operation as a test, and Tannon fought back against supposed rescuers in FWL uniforms, shattering the wrist of a Chindit infantryman and securing a rifle (thankfully loaded with blanks) and opening fire.

Vass finally agreed to release Tannon, chalking her change of allegiance to Stockholm Syndrome. What everyone would realize years later was that Dell, as a former Clan Coyote MechWarrior, had years of experience in changing allegiances, based on his time as a Clan warrior and bondsman to Clan Wolf. Ria Tannon's acceptance into the Chindits was classic bondsman psychology. When the Chindits left Loyalty, Tannon came with. On the day her service with the FWLM officially ended, she signed a contract with the Chindits.

She has become very close to Ambrosious Dell. Following her capture, he took her under his wing, showing trust in her and urging her to accept a role with the Chindits, not as a captive or slave, but as a fellow warrior. It seems to have worked, as Tannon has become a strident supporter of Lieutenant Dell and, through him, Major Vass. After his revalation to the unit as a former Clansman, she was the first to accept him, and he has come to see her as a surrogate daughter.

Master Sergeant Ambrosious Dell and MechWarrior Ria Tannon discuss the Mercenary Review Board case aboard the dropship Providence, Galatea, Lyran Commonwealth, 3048. Note that Tannon's only decoration is the Loyalty campaign ribbon, during which time she was not a member of Vass' Chindits, and was officially an enemy prisoner. Missing are her raiding and defensive operation ribbons from her time in the FWLM, as they were stripped from her in absentia because of her joining a unit labeled as a pirate band.

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 23 June 2012, 10:53:35 »
[Bombastic martial music plays, accompanying stock footage of Atlas 'Mechs firing and shots of Thomas Hogarth, always in full dress uniform, in a variety of situations: receiving promotions, staring off nobly into the distance, receiving decorations, pushing unit markers around a campaign map. After a full minute of credits, the word "The Armchair General" appear on the screen in an Olde Germanic font. It fades into Hogarth, dressed in a smoking jacket, sitting in a brown leather armchair in a wood-paneled study. Behind him is a framed portrait of himself in full Class A's, and a desk littered with maps, unit markers, and a set of ancient field glasses. Lying beside Hogarth's chair, either asleep or stuffed, is a Great Dane. Hogarth takes a drink from the rocks glass he's holding.]

Welcome, my friends, to The Armchair General, for the week of April 6th through the 12th, 3084. I am your host, Hauptmann-General Thomas Hogarth, Lyran Alliance Armed Forces, retired. It is, as always, my duty and my pleasure to present the current military actions from around the Inner Sphere and beyond, and explain it to you as only a professional soldier can.

The theme for this week seems to be insurgency. Recent advances by the Republic of the Sphere forces into Liao space have brought retribution in the form of Capellan resistance forces, and responsibility for the recent bomb set off in Chicago on Terra has been claimed by a Word of Blake-sympathetic force called "The Red Hand".

Now, when I was liberating Terra, there were none of these sorts of attacks. Then, the Blakists stood up and fought. But one man can only do so much, and after I left, insurgent forces popped back up. Mopping these units up will take time, and the Republic has opted to go a different route than simply stomping on their headquarters with a thousand tons of Lyran-built BattleMechs. Anti-insurgency and mole hunting operations are tricky, and often more trouble than they're worth.

I recall, back in '45 or '46, the FedCom high command was concerned about loyalties within my unit at the time, the Furillo BPM. Of course, this was typical Davion whinging and paranoia, but as we were giving that ill-fated alliance the old college try, we went along with it and brought in independent contractors to help root out the non-existent traitors. The unit they eventually decided on was Vass' Chindits, a unit with ties to the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. I always suspected a bit of favoritism in that assignment, there.

At any rate, I met their executive officer at the Midwinter Soiree at the late Duchess Iris Steiner's estate. Yes, now I remember, this was in '45, because I had the most fantastic bottle of Hare Hill Syrah '38. Lovely young woman, from good breeding, albeit in the Suns, if that counts for anything. Married at the time, and a mercenary officer, so she had quite a mix of respectable and risque. Not the type of woman you bring home to mother, but I was quite fond of her nonetheless. What was her name?

At any rate, I never saw these Chindits do much work. They spent most of their time trying to work their way into my social circles. So clearly they new good taste when they saw it, but there was a lack of breeding that simply couldn't be overcome. From the way they tried to insinuate themselves into the Furillo society, you'd have thought that I myself was the chink the AFFC suspected in the armor. [Hogarth chuckles to himself and takes another drink.]

At any rate, they were eventually released by Caeser Steiner. Rumor had it that he paid their contract out of his own pocket, most likely to prevent besmirching the reputation of my unit in the official records. I heard he gifted them with a number of vehicles from Furillo's Lockheed plant, although it always seemed like bad form to reward a unit for their failure.

We're going to take a break, but when we return, we'll have a representative from the Commonwealth's largest provider of field rations. I'm going to figure out why we can't get back to having a rum ration included in those tasteless sacks of protein.

-Excerpt from "The Armchair General", April 12, 3084, Donegal Broadcast Company

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #37 on: 23 June 2012, 11:55:12 »
Finally Hogarth has found a position that is perfect for him...Armchair General!

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 23 June 2012, 13:01:36 »
Finally Hogarth has found a position that is perfect for him...Armchair General!

Not my idea, it was mentioned in FM3085. But the imagining of the format is strictly my interpretation. I particularly enjoyed writing the title sequence, especially the Great Dane. After all, what other kind of dog could Hogarth possibly have?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 23 June 2012, 20:11:22 »
You could always have gone for a Labrador. For a fat social general retired that would be perfect. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #40 on: 23 June 2012, 23:19:08 »
Or perhaps an expensive and spoiled lap dog.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 24 June 2012, 01:06:37 »
Not my idea, it was mentioned in FM3085. But the imagining of the format is strictly my interpretation. I particularly enjoyed writing the title sequence, especially the Great Dane. After all, what other kind of dog could Hogarth possibly have?

I would have thought a Wolfhound but then again, I suppose that would be about 70-tonnes too light for him, eh?

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 24 June 2012, 22:20:03 »
[Ria Tannon is lying in a hospital bed, absently looking at a tri-vid player in front of her. It's a horror movie, but she isn't reacting to any of the music or sight prompts; she's clearly tuned out. When the door to the room opens, she shifts in her bed, trying to sit upright.]

Tannon: Good afternoon, ma'am.

[Major Jennifer Vass and Lieutenant Ambrosious Dell walk into the picture. Dell walks over and holds Tannons hand, while Vass settles into a chair next to the bed.]

Vass: At ease. Sorry I haven't been able to see you yet. Lots of hoops to jump through with this Explorer Corps contract, and exposure to the air on LR-1192 meant you had to go through decon.

Tannon: I understand.

Vass: So, I know what the doctors told you: major concussion, medically-induced coma for a week and a half, myomer replacements for some muscles in your left leg. I know it sounds bad, but you'll be back in the cockpit again.

Dell: I had all that done to me before I was out of the sibko.

Vass: What else has Am told you?

Tannon [hesitates]: That my Archer is a total loss. I'm Dispossessed. [She looks at Vass] I mean, I know you treat warriors well, and that I'll get first shot at a replacement, but it's not quite the same as owning your Mech.

Vass: I get that, Ria. Believe me, when I was in the Suns, owning your own Mech was the only way to go. Ria, has Am showed you your BattleROM footage?

Ria: No, it hadn't been approved by ComStar yet for dissemination.

Vass [smiles]: Actually, that's not true. I've been in some negotiations with ComStar regarding our contract. Am, could you load it up for us?

Dell: With pleasure.

[Dell produces a disc and puts it into Tannon's tri-vid player. For about three minutes, the three watch the feed. Vass is becoming visibly excited. Finally, Tannon pauses the feed.]

Tannon: Ma'am, what just happened there? Time stamp 34:3232?

Dell: That, Ria, was both of your medium lasers hitting that Goshawkin the head. Burned his cockpit right out, not another scratch in sight.

Tannon: When that came out of the woods, I thought I was dead. My armor was down to the red from the rest of the Star.

Vass: You very nearly were. But you took it down just as it opened fire. [Vass rubs her hands together.] Now, the good news. I've had Captain Val looking over our contract with a magnifying glass since we got back to Columbus. Our salvage rider is pretty clear: 100% salvage, with exchange rights on all Clan 'Mechs. However, here's the thing. This contract was technically an extension of our previous contract, which had us on the front lines against the Bears. We were never going to come into contact with second-line forces, so they threw us a bone in offering us second-line salvage. When we accepted the E-C contract, it was out of our broker in Galatea, and in order to save on HPG data transmissions, they only sent updated information for relevant sections of the contract, while the rest remained on file.

Tannon: Wait, so you mean our contract gives us second-line salvage rights?

Vass: In part. They're not thrilled, but that Goshawk is now officially Chindit property. Actually, belay that. That Goshawk is Tannon property.

Tannon: I'm flattered, Captain, but I can't...

Vass: I'm not doing you any favors. Look at your own contract. If you, while operating under the operational restraints of the Chindits and are forced into combat without support, you are entitled to that salvage personally. It's meant to prevent me from sending you out as bait, but by a strict interpretation...

Dell: Congratulations, Ria. It's a lighter design, but you're driving the first Clan 'Mech in the Chindits.

[Tannon begins to cry]

Tannon: I thought I was dispossessed.

Vass: Didn't want to get your hopes up before it was a done deal. So, now that it is, I know you've got more hospital time, but Am... persuaded the docs to let you out for a few hours. Annette needs to get you attuned to the neurohelmet before we do much more than repair the armor. Think you can go take a look at your new ride?

-From the ComStar military hospital security camera, Columbus, Deep Periphery, September 2, 3056

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 02 July 2012, 17:12:55 »
After two days of work, Korsht and I were no closer to figuring out who the three bodies were. A gunfight in a relatively safe bar, three corpses with forged passports and IDs, and a merc unit that eyewitnesses said was involved boosting for a jump point at speeds that made it pretty obvious they'd had their hands in the cookie jar. We were sitting in the Lieutenant's office, going over the leads with him and waiting to get our asses chewed out, when Coombs knocked on the door.

"Hey, Lou, got a minute?"

The Lieutenant motioned to Korsht and I. "We're in the middle of this."

"The Herzog's shootings?" We all nodded. "That's what this about. I think I've got some news for you."

Tom and I looked at each other as Lou waved Coombs in. "Why are we hearing about this now?" I asked.

Coombs shrugged apologetically. "Personal contacts, and I didn't want to get your hopes up." He waited for a moment, and Lou motioned for him to continue.

"Okay, so back during the 4th Succession War, I was with the 23rd Emerson Motorized, as an MP. We were attached to the Screaming Eagles as infantry support, and I got to be friends with a couple of their guys. One of them is currently the aerospace commander of the Chindits."

Korsht pulled out his notepad. "What's his name?"

"Finley Carmack," Coombs said, "Lieutenant now, back then he was just a greenhorn. Callsign's 'Hammer'."

I rolled my eyes. "Thinks he's hot @^$#."

Coombs chuckled. "Actually, we stuck the name on him. Not for his piloting, though. He's got terrible taste in women, and ends up bringing the ugliest ones home. And you know the old saying: 'When all you have is a hammer...'"

"'...Everything looks like a nail.'" Korsht laughed. "Nice."

"Anyways, we kept in touch, and the Chindts have been working out of Galatea for a while."

"Why here?" The Lou interjected. "Why not Outreach?"

"Bad blood with the Dragoons, I gather."

I snorted. "Because that always works out well."

Coombs shrugged. "So, when I saw they were wanted for questioning, and their two dropships made it out before port control shut them down, I got him on the horn, off the record. He was one of the Chindits in the bar, and says the whole thing was self-defense."

"Well who wouldn't say that?" Korsht asked.

"Yeah, but I trust the guy. Here's the interesting thing. They were meeting with someone. Potential employer, new recruit, I'm not sure. But the name is Randall Maclaw."

"Maclaw. Sounds familiar." The Lou frowned, trying to place the name.

"Not local. He's the son of the governor of Leximon." Coombs glanced around the room, noting the blank expressions. "In the Lothian League?"

"Oh, crap." Korsht realized it a moment before the rest of us. This was September 3057, and most people still thought of the League as its own nation.

"Right, political exile on the run from that damn jumped-up bandit kingdom." Coombs tapped the open file on the desk. "Hammer says Maclaw the younger spent the last six months on the run, and the year before as a guerrilla fighter against the Marian occupation. And the Chindits first mission, back in the 30's, was saving Maclaw the elder from Marian slavery."

I massaged my temples. "How much do you want to bet that there are three widows back in the Hegemony about to get condolence letters from the Caesar?"

Coombs nodded. "That's my thought. I looked it up, the Marians have an intelligence division now, they call it 'Ordo Vigilis'."

The Lieutenant snorted. "My cat had kittens in the oven, that doesn't make them muffins. They can call themselves a nation all they want, they're still pirates and thugs." He drummed his fingers on the desk, thinking. "Okay, let's file against the Chindits for leaving the scene of the crime, and they'll get a slap on the wrist when they land here again. As far as the three bodies, they all did for each other, right? Call it a Marian standoff." He looked at all of us, and we nodded.

"Okay then, this case is cleared, and I don't have to get LIC involved. Hope the rest of the year goes as smooth. Good work, all of you."

-Except from Green Nights: Policing Galatea, by Detective Sarah Lounden, ret., Galatea Press, 3064

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 02 July 2012, 20:22:06 »
I think a noir crime story set on Galatea would be fantastic!
So the Chindits are heading back into the League? Interesting

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 05 July 2012, 23:17:10 »
A few more missions, post-Loyalty:

Operation Plantain - Garrison duty on Dompaire, turned into defense of Blair Atholl from CJF, 3050-52
Operation Fjord - Garrison duty on Grumium at the bequest of ComStar, 3053-54
Operation Strongarm - Explorer Corps duty for ComStar, 3055-57
Operation Brushfire - Relief Duty for Capellan Confederation during Operation Guererro, 3057-58
Operation Candlestick - Extraction Raid for Lyran Alliance into Wolf OZ, seeking captured/missing metallurgist to assist with Mjolnir warship, 3059

I'll be writing up a bit about Brushfire soon, because that led to a few major changes in the unit...

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 10 July 2012, 19:54:16 »
Vass' Chindits, 3059 TO&E

Command Lance
Major Jennifer Vass, OK1-K Orion Jennifer
Master Sergeant Mathias Hector, GHR-5N Grasshopper
Joan Saraphis, FLC-8R Falconer
Phil Thomas, WHM-7S Warhammer

Fire Lance
Lieutenant Ambrosious Dell, GAL-1GLS Gallowglas
Roman Borkowski, HGN-732 Highlander
John Boden, BNC-5S Banshee
Randall Maclaw,ARC-4M Archer

Pursuit Lance
Captain Sung-Hee "Sue" Chang, SCB-9A Scarabus
Ria Tannon, Goshawk 2
Roland Chacic, STH-1D Stealth
Esmail Visweswaramurthy, NGS-4S Nightsky

Chindit Search & Rescue
Captain Ahmad Malik, Motorized Infantry Platoon (Rifle)
2x Ferret Scout VTOL

Aerospace Lance
Lieutenant Finley "Hammer" Carmack, TR-13 Transgressor
Dane "Kroner" Hartridge, TR-13 Transgressor

Fast Response Force
2x Cavalry Attack Helicopter

Stronghold Company
2x Demolisher
2x Schrek PPC Carrier
2x LRM Carrier

Chindit Armored Infantry
Lieutenant Joyce Kohara
3 squads I.S. Standard
1 squad Grey Death Scout
1 squad Elemental

Transport Command
Tramp-class jumpship Aurelio Galindo
Union-class dropship Providence
Modified Seeker-class dropship Four Winds

Notes
  • XO Toni Val has retired, and Captain Chang has assumed all XO duties.
  • The Highlander was a gift from ComStar for service during Fjord and Strongarm.
  • Four Winds has been modified to hold a company of heavy vehicles.
  • A number of advanced FedCom 'Mechs were recovered during Brushfire, when the Chindits provided relief duties and guerrilla hunting on Liao and Hsien during Guerrero.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 20:30:08 by gleamingterrier »

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 10 July 2012, 23:05:55 »
Lieutenant Joyce Kohara, Commander, Battle Armor Detachment, 3058-?

Joyce Kohara was born on Calloway VI, in the Free Worlds League, which is renowned for not having any true night; so much sun is reflected off the worlds three moons that there is never any darkness. Her parents were poor, and when Joyce was born with a severe allergic reaction to sunlight, they were unable to treat her. To help her, Joyce was given into ComStar's custody at age four. She was taken to Terra, where she was given gene therapy to correct her allergy (though she retains an almost eerily pale complexion), and then began to serve the Order from a young age. She was inducted into the ComGuards, where she served as an infantryman in the 9th Army's 379th Division (Blessed Thoughts).

At 20, she faced the 13th Wolf Guards on Tukayyid, as the Wolves pushed towards Brzo. Her Level III was ordered to retreat to the edges of Brzo and hole up in a series of warehouses that engineers had built hastily-dug tunnels underneath. As Khan Natasha Kerensky's 13th Wolf Guards entered the city, her unit attempted a series of hit & run sapper attacks on the Wolf forces. Though it ultimately failed, Kohara learned the ins-and-outs of cityfighting, and was briefly a bondswoman of Khan Natasha Kerensky herself (although she chose to be repatriated with most other captured ComGuard personnel, and she never came into any personal contact with the Black Widow).

After Tukayyid, she remained with the reformed 379th Division (Hawks of the High Wind IV-pi), being selected for battle armor training. Though she was tempted to join the Word of Blake, she stayed with the ComGuards until after the Marik-Liao invasion. When faced with a choice between continuing her service with ComStar and fighting her former comrades in the Chaos March versus leaving the service, she chose to resign from the ComGuards to become a mercenary. Major Vass hired her in late 3058 on Galatea to head the Chindits fledgling battle armor detachment. Her skill immediately proved itself on Suk II, as her squad swarmed and incapacitated a Linebacker. Though the Mech was later destroyed, it played a key role in the subterfuge that allowed the extraction of Dr. Hans Weistrand, a noted metallurgist captured by Clan Wolf in 3050. Although he had been merely Hans of the Scientist Caste for nearly a decade, he was needed in order to troubleshoot the superstructure of the Lyran Alliance's Mjolnir-class warship.

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 19 July 2012, 12:54:44 »
Okay, let's give this a try. The Major next kept a journal, and neither did Val, but she says it's a good habit to get into. Keeps you honest with yourself. One of those cases of do what I say, not as I do, I guess. Well, if you can't give your XO useless crap to do, who can you give it to, right?

Yeah, I'm now the XO. Complete with promotion to captain and everything. God knows I was never the biggest fan of Lieutenant Val, but she was the Major's friend, and they got through some tough spots together. But she's retiring, heading to Mansfield to be near her son. Well, the one who's not at Goshen. I hear that one, Marcus, is a great instinctive pilot.

So yeah, just before Guerrero, when I heard we had a contract with the Cappies for a relief duty, I immediately thought that they were attacking the Compact. This was before Marik's big declaration of the Archon-Prince's deception. So, who else are the Cappies going to attack but St. Ives.

Well, I walked into the officer's briefing and gave it to the Major with both guns. "I'll resign before I fire on a St. Ives unit, before Sun-Tzu makes me one of his puppets, et cetera." Vass sends everyone out of the room but Val, Heck and Dell. Original Chindits, all, and I wonder if they're about to murder me.

"I don't ever want to hear you speak like that in front of anyone but me again. The next time, you will be out of this unit so fast, you won't even know what planet we've dumped you on." She walked up to me, and I don't even remember coming to attention. "You are a mercenary. That means you serve who the contract is for. You are under my command, so you follow my orders. Everyone in this room has fired on fellow countrymen, and come to terms with it. If you're going to be my XO, you're going to have to do the same."

"Ma'am?" I asked. "XO?"

"I'm retiring at the end of this contract, which I will add, we don't know is in the Compact," Val said. ""You're going to take over my spot, if you're up to it."

"Why me? What about Dell, or Heck?"

Vass looked at the two senior warriors. "Dell is at least 70 years old, and though he's going to die in the cockpit, he doesn't want the job. Heck is my senior enlisted man, and is far too valuable in that role. Those are the reasons why not them.

"As for why you, there are lots of those. You're young, energetic, and a good warrior. You're from the Compact, and that bridges the cultural gap between the FedSuns natives I started with and the Capellan influence from all our contact with the MAC. Jason is too inexperienced to serve as a MechWarrior, let alone my XO. And if something happens to me, I trust you to keep the unit running and make good decisions until he's ready to take over."

I didn't know what to say. There was more, of course, legal stuff about officers voting once per year on Jason being allowed to take over the unit, typical stuff to keep the Chindits in the family without impairing a replacement CO. And I got my ass chewed out, and we never even went to St. Ives: the relief duty was on Liao, then Hsien.

So here we are, my first mission as XO. The Major has finally given in and taken one of these Word of Blake contracts they keep offering us. It's bad karma, though, I just know it. We're raiding Devil's Rock, getting something from some spaceport warehouse. But Devil's Rock is a Marik planet, so they should just be able to take what they need. Plus there's the fact that we're officially still pirates as far as the League is concerned, but the Word doesn't have us on their own piracy watchlist. Very weird. I guess we'll see what happens.

-From the journal of Captain Sung-Hee Chang, 3059

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 19 July 2012, 13:29:30 »
The ComStar logo appears briefly on screen before being replaced by the face of Major Jennifer Vass. She's shaking her head as the recording starts.

Okay, I'm sorry I didn't call earlier. It was just a lot to take in, you know. I know the MAC has been in Capellan service for decades, but I never though of you as... well, you know, we were always just mercs. And now, a Capellan citizen. I mean, it's good, I'm happy for you. I really am. It was just a shock. And Zhong-shao? Very snazzy.

Things are getting crazy here. I'm not exactly sure what to do. Jason is insisting that I let him take over a spot in the Mech company. He's good, but I don't know if I'm ever going to be okay with him going into combat with me. Not that he's bad, but I don't know how I won't watch him like a hawk. I should have let him deploy with us on Sabik. Easy duty, cadre, he could have learned as much or more as the Lyrans irregulars getting trained up.

About halfway through the contract, we got word of what Sun-Tzu was up to in the Compact. Sue actually wanted to break our contract and return home to volunteer the unit for the defense of the Compact. Thankfully, I was able to persuade her to see reason.

However, we're heading back to Galatea now, and I'm afraid. If St. Ives offers us a contract, I'm going to have to take it. If I don't I'll likely lose Sue as my XO, and definitely as an officer. I also know, and I don't need any confirmation to know it's true, that the MAC has lots of active units in the Compact. I'm not looking forward to it.

One lesson I've learned, though, is that if you don't want to lead your unit into battle, you shouldn't be leading. I think my time in the field is just about over. After this St. Ives contract, I'm going to try for something nice and quiet, cadre or garrison duty, and hand off the unit to Sue, a nice quiet contract for her first as CO. Once we get her out of the SIC, I think she'll be fine.

Which means, then, that I'll no longer be on active duty. So, if the offer still stands, and you're willing to retire as well, my answer, finally, is yes. It would have been 'yes' years ago if we could have been sure we wouldn't face each other on opposite sides. So let's get this last one out of our systems, try not to kill each other, and then, yes, I will marry you.

Take care of yourself, Zhong-shao.

The ComStar logo appears, filling the screen

-Transmission from Major Jennifer Vass to Zhong-shao James Jones, MacCarron's Armored Cavalry, April 16, 3061

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #50 on: 19 July 2012, 14:09:16 »
They´re going up against each other during that contract and will end up killing each other, won´t they?  :'(
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 19 July 2012, 14:19:33 »
They´re going up against each other during that contract and will end up killing each other, won´t they?  :'(

I don't actually know yet. Jones is with the 3rd MAC, which was on Denbar. I'm doing a random roll to determine where the Chindits are deployed. I imagine even if they aren't facing the 3rd, they're going to be up against one regiment of the MAC or another, and they've been closely intertwined for 30 years. It's not a situation which can end well for everyone involved.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 19 July 2012, 19:58:24 »
I don't actually know yet. Jones is with the 3rd MAC, which was on Denbar. I'm doing a random roll to determine where the Chindits are deployed. I imagine even if they aren't facing the 3rd, they're going to be up against one regiment of the MAC or another, and they've been closely intertwined for 30 years. It's not a situation which can end well for everyone involved.

Thems the breaks in the merc trade I guess. But nothing worse than looking at the father of your child over the gun sights though...

Seriously though. I am loving this unit. Really great work

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #53 on: 19 July 2012, 21:14:04 »
Well, the good news is that they're not heading to Denbar. Brighton, however, where they are going, has the 2nd MAC, as well as the Taurian Velites. On the St. Ives side, there's Raymond's ACR and Marcella's AIR, but the real interesting ally is the St. Ives Academy of Martial Sciences training battalion. Chang is most definitely not the favored daughter there. Should make for an interesting deployment.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 19 July 2012, 21:29:02 »
From what I've read Brighton was a pretty big loss for the Compact.

http://isatlas.teamspam.net/planet-detail.php?planet=2744486

"The loss of this important world, of prevalently rough and mountainous terrain, and which also hosted sizable supply stores as well as one of the Compact's larger training centers, was a critical blow to the St. Ives front."

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 05 August 2012, 18:14:58 »
...When we arrived on-planet, we relieved the Raman DMM, who were there as representatives of the Star League Defense Force. They had been skirmishing with the Brighton Home Guard since their arrival, as well as numerous smaller units: mercenaries, retirees and survivalists, Free Capellan wannabees. We took custody of their prisoners, who seemed none the worse for wear, for the most part.

However, I do have some bad news, and I feel like you deserve to know it first. One of the units the DMM faced was Vass' Chindits. I know they served in your regiment for a few years back in the '30s. I took custody of two prisoners, neither of whom were old-timers, but they were clearly not new arrivals. We'll repatriate them when the conflict is over, minus their 'Mechs, which the DMM took. Damned FedRats.

The thing of it is, Otto, not everyone from the battle survived. Their command lance was caught out of position, and two 'Mechs went down. It was Major Vass who fended off a lance of the FedRats to give their SAR a chance to recover the pilots. Unfortunately, her Orion went down with a laser to the cockpit. I've reviewed the BattleROM footage, and it's confirmed. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately, I know you're also going to have to break the news to Zhong-shao Jones. I've issued standing orders to the rest of the regiment that any Chindits encountered are to be given an offer of truce to allow Jones and Vass' son access to the HPG station should he wish to contact his father. Awful news, but that's the business we're in.

-Excerpt from private message between Sang-shao Angel Bodez and Sang-shao Otto Kung, McCarron's Armored Cavalry

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 05 August 2012, 20:22:42 »
That's devastating - I was loving the Chindits and Major Vass. Damn!

It will be interesting to see if her son takes over the command now

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #57 on: 05 August 2012, 20:41:14 »
This was really tough for me. I'll be honest, I teared up when this happened in the game. I've created over 30 years of in-game history for this unit, and Vass is a huge part of my personal BT canon. The unit will endure, with Sue Chang as CO, until Jason Vass is ready, but things are never going to be the same. It'll be interesting to see what happens next: Vass kept the unit pretty FedSuns cultured. Now, the CO is from St. Ives, and the eventual heir has spent more time in the Capellan Confederation than in the FedCom. Although I imagine between Chang's politics and Jason Vass' loss of his mother, there's going to be a distinct freeze in relations between the CapCon and the Chindits, and with the FCCW coming up, who knows what will happen?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 05 August 2012, 22:08:14 »
This was really tough for me. I'll be honest, I teared up when this happened in the game. I've created over 30 years of in-game history for this unit, and Vass is a huge part of my personal BT canon. The unit will endure, with Sue Chang as CO, until Jason Vass is ready, but things are never going to be the same. It'll be interesting to see what happens next: Vass kept the unit pretty FedSuns cultured. Now, the CO is from St. Ives, and the eventual heir has spent more time in the Capellan Confederation than in the FedCom. Although I imagine between Chang's politics and Jason Vass' loss of his mother, there's going to be a distinct freeze in relations between the CapCon and the Chindits, and with the FCCW coming up, who knows what will happen?

It's always tough when characters you've grown to love die.
As you say, it will be interesting - I could see Sue Chang leading the Chindits in a series of retaliation attacks against the Cappies - even post St Ives war.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #59 on: 09 August 2012, 22:15:04 »
I have to hand it to you, it takes a lot of cajones to kill off your CO like that. A lot of players would have handwaved that result away, kudos to you for not taking the easy path.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Register