Author Topic: ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen, Detachment Bravo (Updated!)  (Read 15571 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen, Detachment Bravo (Updated!)
« on: 23 September 2018, 18:26:37 »
Desperation in physical form, the ErsatzKampfgruppe
  Faced with an invasion of Falcons and vengeance seeking Wolves, with mounting casualties, the Lyran Commonwealth found itself with insufficient combat units to maintain the expanding frontlines. In 3143 the LCAF implemented the creation of temporary frontline formations from planetary militia. This strategy was a modification of a proposal submitted to the High Command by the LCAF Strategies and Tactics Division in 3051, as a potential counter to the losses suffered during the invasion of Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon. "Plan Nibelung" was shelved after the Truce of Tukayyid, and while the plan drew some renewed interest during the Jihad, it was rejected at that time due to the civil unrest and tensions between the provinces of the Commonwealth. The modified plan created four combined arms units, designated ErsatzKampfgruppe (abbreviation eKG.) and named Wotan, Siegfried, Fafner, and Hagen, each drawing on militia forces from worlds in the Commonwealth's outer provinces. Each formation was built, on paper, along the lines of Davion Light Combat Teams, rather than the purely conventional units originally called for. The core of the unit was its reinforced battlemech battalion, paired with a full regiment of armor and another infantry. Supporting this is a full battalion of Battle Armor with attached transports, one regiment of conventional fighters, and an artillery company. In practice however the none of the constructed units matched this planned outline, As the components forces were drawn from multiple worlds in company and battalion sized lots, individual variations in structure and organization, as well as equipment, created unique mixes in each formation. Due to the rush to get these new units operational, the component forces were not mixed or reorganized on the lance and company level, leaving the existing command structures intact. Efforts to ensure coordination between such disparate forces has generated some degree of friction and reduced overall effectiveness, but prevented the need for a lengthy retraining program.

ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen

ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen was assembled on Bucklands, and drew from worlds within the Bucklands Province. Unique for the ErsatzKampfgruppe units, Hagen's armor, infantry, and artillery components were over-strength by nearly 70%, in large part due to the contributions of the world of Kowloon, which maintained a larger than standard militia, as well as an extensive reserve force. Comparatively however, its battle armor components were understrength by almost 30%, due in large part to the lack of such units in the planetary militia forces in the province. ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen was organized into smaller operational detachments, each with a mix of forces allowing the detachment to operate as an independent unit. This was intended to give the larger formation greater flexibility, and assist in normalizing cooperation between the disparate units of the formation. eKG. Hagen was assigned to the defense of Gulf Breeze, near Coventry, against an expected Jade Falcon assault.

Detachment Bravo:
   eKG. Hagen Bravo's core is the battlemech company of the Royal Bucklands Yeomanry, a unit of reservists from the Bucklands Militia. Their unit's name and traditions draw from a Military Club the majority of their members hail from, one of the many reservist associations on Bucklands that exist primarily for aging soldiers to gather and reminisce on their service and which hold events where they drive visually modifed Agromechs in simulated warfare. Far more of the Yeomanry volunteered than could be supplied with mechs, even with several members employing their family machines. As such only those with excellent records and able to meet the physical requirements were accepted. Despite this, the unit's average age is quite high, with no pilot under forty years of age and the unit average being sixty two. The Yeomanry also have a unit oddity, an oversized Battle Armor Platoon permanently attached to the company as a support and recon force.

Royal Bucklands Yeomanry
Total: 500 PV
12 Battlemechs, 5 Battlearmor

Assault Lance:
ZEU-9S Zeus (Sniper, Skill 3, 48pv)
AS7-Dr Atlas (Juggernaut, Skill 4, 55pv)   
AS7-Dr Atlas (Juggernaut, Skill 4, 55pv)   
HGN-734 Highlander (Sniper, Skill 4, 43pv)

Battle Lance:
BLR-4S Battlemaster (Juggernaut, Skill 4, 44pv)   
BLR-4S Battlemaster (Juggernaut, Skill 4, 44pv)
THG-11Eb Thug (Skirmisher, Skill 4, 41pv)
BSW-S2 Bushwacker (Sniper, Skill 4, 33pv)

Light Striker Lance:
UZL-2S Uziel (Striker, Skill 3, 38pv)
NGS-5T Nightsky (Striker, Skill 3, 35pv)
COM-2D Commando (Striker, Skill 3, 20pv)
COM-2D Commando (Striker, Skill 3, 20pv)

Battle Armor Platoon:
 Fenrir [SPL] BA   (Scout, Skill 4, 14pv)
[/s]

The bulk of Hagen Bravo's forces is a Cavalry Squadron from the Kowloon BTM (the planetary militia), with permanently attached Air Recon Lance and Artillery Battery. Trained and equipped for small scale independent operations, the ACB's are part of Kowloon's quick response forces, the first line of ground defense in the event of pirate raids or invasion. Their self contained nature saw Kowloon volunteer several squadrons from each of the extant Cavalry Battalions to create the 7th Armored Cavalry Battalion (Expeditionary). These squadrons were divided up between eKG. Hagen's detachments. 3rd Squadron was assigned to Hagen Bravo, which has caused some tensions with the Royal Yeomanry, due to cultural clashes, particularly in regards to 'proper battlefield conduct' and unit discipline. That the Kowloonese soldiery largely do not share a common language with the mechwarriors they are meant to support has caused some difficulty as well.
  Kowloon employs an unconventional organization of six vehicle lances, giving the Cavalry Squadron roughly half again as many armored vehicles as is standard for Lyran militia forces. Kowloon's cavalry squadrons are primarily equipped with the Rùa Infantry Fighting Vehicle, a Kowloon built armored vehicle derived from the Scorpion Light Tank. The Rùa uses locally produced components for all save the turret mounted medium lasers, which are common Defiance B3M models imported from offworld. The vehicle has been designed to make use of simplified and easily swapped components for ease of maintenance. This however has made the design slow to catch on outside Kowloon, due to the incompatibilities of these components with other standard militia vehicles. The 7th ACB has stockpiled a sizable store of spare parts, and Kowloon has arranged for regular supply runs to supply the 7th ACB and the other Kowloon units in eKG. Hagen.
  On paper, the 3rd Squadron is a mechanized formation, with each armored vehicle carrying one Kowloon squad of 9 foot infantry. In practice however, the 3rd Squadron's infantry platoons prefer to deploy independently, making use of light motor vehicles, often acquired from local sources. This frees the armor Lances to engage freely and allows the Squadron to cover more ground on the advance. The Infantry have been supplied with heavy body armor by the Lyran Quartermaster Corps, in hopes of increasing their survival rates in combat, but they have chosen to retain their armament of Kowloon produced Auto-Rifles and Rocket Propelled Grenades.

20th Squadron, 7th Armored Cavalry Battalion (Expeditionary), Kowloon BTM.

[399 PV Total
18 Tanks, 6 VTOL's, 12 infantry Platoons.

Troop 1:
Rùa Tank Destroyer (Ambusher, Skill 4, 11pv)
Motorized Heavy Infantry Platoon (Ambusher, Skill 5, 7pv)

Troop 2:

Troop 3:

Air Recon One:
H-7A Warrior Attack Helicopter (Scout, Skill 4, 15pv)

Artillery Battery One:
Mechanized Field Artillery (Missile Boat, Skill 4, 11pv)

Artillery Battery Two:

The 20th Squadron has one dropship assigned to it, a heavily modified civilian transport classified as a Mule (Expeditionary), the MS Azubah, one of several such vessels modified to carry the 7th Armored Battalion and the other Kowloon Expeditionary units assigned to the ErsatzKampfgruppe.

The 20th Squadron has one dropship assigned to it, a heavily modified civilian transport classified as a Mule (Expeditionary), the MS Azubah, one of several such vessels modified to carry the 7th Armored Battalion and the other Kowloon Expeditionary units assigned to the ErsatzKampfgruppe.

-=[To Be Expanded As I Complete Writing It]=-
Armor and Infantry sections are coming, i just need to finish writing them up. and i don't want to post the Alpha Strike force list until I have at least the basic fluff written up.

I would like to add pilot names to the mechwarriors and the commanders of the BA units, if anyone wants to suggest some names. I picked Bucklands as the source of this company for two reasons. First, because it is fluffed (according to Sarna.net) as a place that produces a lot of soldiers, and thus has a lot of veterans and reservists on world who had done their terms and went home. i also picked it because its name suggested the potential for some fun cultural friction with the armor and infantry component of this 1000pv force.. "Buckland" being a location name that comes from the Devonshire area of England, part of that peninsula south of Wales. Where 'buckland' is a quite common location name. the Flag of the planet is also remarkably british in feel, IMO. so i gave the unit a name inspired by British Volunteer Regiments from prior to WW1. The idea of them being part of a Veterans Fraternal Order seemed like a logical extension. The addition of a reenactment type element was inspired by the description on Sarna.net about how the farmers of Bucklands use Agromechs to settle disputes. It seemed to me that a culture that employed Agromechs instead of pistols or swords for Duels between aggrieved parties would also be likely to use them for other sorts of activities as well, especially if those activities can be claimed as training for what passes as the militia. the fact the Bucklands militia was described as a sort of social club using industrialmechs played a factor. i just figured it was many social clubs with distinct traditions rather than just one giant one.
--------------------
Edit 2: Kowloon forces fluff is up.
footnote [1] = this gives the resulting vehicles the Quirks "Easy to Maintain" and "Non-standard Parts". so they are easier to repair.. but harder to find parts for to do those repairs. sort of a wash really, unless you are on Kowloon itself.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2023, 20:32:54 by glitterboy2098 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: ErsatzKampfgruppe Hagen, Detachment Bravo
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2018, 21:12:40 »
Interesting planet choice, liking the fluff so far
Are the battlearmor also old crews?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2018, 21:21:51 »
Interesting planet choice, liking the fluff so far
Are the battlearmor also old crews?
that was the idea. i figure that the world obviously would produce more than just mechwarriors. if you do the math, pretty much every person in that unit would have been born during or after the jihad, and would have served after it, so having older BA troops fits.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2018, 20:50:11 by glitterboy2098 »

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2018, 06:17:44 »
TAG.

Interesting premise... and very NOT Dad's Army.   :thumbsup:
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2018, 21:18:24 »
the other 40% of the 1000pv force is now up. tried to stay as close to Cannonshop's version of kowloon while bringing their hardware a little more in line with the standard BT universe. given that the Goblin is IS general, but is produced on the otherside of the inner sphere, i figured Kowloon cobbling together their own version would be reasonable.. plus it emulated cannonshop's version without going all the way to 65 ton Patton based stuff. since i'm using Microarmor Mk.II Merkava miniatures for these, it also helps explain the visual differences. :)

given Kowloon's cultural origins, i figured using the logo for the ARVN's 20th Armored Cavalry Squadron would be in character for them. the 6 vehicle lances are based off of the Ngoverse 2.0 stories, where the Kowloon Militia got training from the comguards. one of the Comguard officers (who later turned out to be a dirty Wobbie, funnily enough) remarked that Kowloon ought to adopt comguard style organization, and while i don't know if that happened in the stories, i thought it was a neat idea so i adopted it. given the FWL likes to stick their light and medium tanks into 6 vehicle lances, it wouldn't be too weird of an idea even if this version didn't have comguard influence.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 22:54:01 by glitterboy2098 »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2018, 07:17:10 »
So you nare using the Rua to increase the tank complement of the force. Not a bad idea at all. 

Love the oldie pilots of the mech batallion! :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2018, 13:13:50 »
Are the Mechanized Field Artillery, are these Towed Thumpers?
I like your fluff for the Rùa Tank Destroyer, very Kowloonese like.

Not all into Alpha Strike Rules, so can't make comments on that part.

I like the force structure I am seeing, I do think think C&C with this force is going to interesting with a lack of common language and culture and age, as I expect the Kowloon force to be much younger the Buckland force.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2018, 16:09:11 »
So you nare using the Rua to increase the tank complement of the force. Not a bad idea at all. 
more or less. really just as an excuse as to how a tank manufactured in two places (New Syrtis and Leximon) would be present in such large numbers on a world on the lyran periphery border, 800+ lightyears away. i've often felt that the TRO3026 vehicles ought to have a lot of copycats and knockoffs being made. especially in the post helm core periods when succession wars tech becomes way easier to build.

Are the Mechanized Field Artillery, are these Towed Thumpers?
Yep. towed by wheeled mechanized infantry.

I like the force structure I am seeing, I do think think C&C with this force is going to interesting with a lack of common language and culture and age, as I expect the Kowloon force to be much younger the Buckland force.
yeah, the Kowloon unit would have a more conventional age range.. late teens through 30's

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2018, 21:57:57 »
any suggestions for what kind of Dropship(s) this detachment would have? and how many techs and other support staff it likely would have on hand? (for that matter.. support vehicles?)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2018, 08:53:50 »
My suggestion is a modified Seeker and Union
   and add in a 2 pair of Sabre Fighters or Slayer Fighters

Or if you want to go for an all in 1 basket. a Fortress but with no Aerospace Assets but gives a Lon Tom for fire support

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2018, 09:32:51 »
My suggestion is a modified Seeker and Union
   and add in a 2 pair of Sabre Fighters or Slayer Fighters

Or if you want to go for an all in 1 basket. a Fortress but with no Aerospace Assets but gives a Lon Tom for fire support

Seeker plus Union and the fighters,
2 in union, did you take out the fighter space for the BA?
2 in seeker if modded that way,
and add a kowloon coast guard leopard and 6 fighters,
if you bring the leopard you could drop the seeker mod, you need the space,
as it is you may need another ship to transport the infantry
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2018, 09:35:37 »
As an ad hoc formation, I'd think a Mule and at best a Union (if not just a second Mule).

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2018, 11:24:57 »
I looked into a cargo carrier for the Kowloon portion, based partly off the Never Coming Home story with its improvised troopships, but the rule of thumb stuff for the mass of life support supplies for passengers as cargo end up outmassing the formation by several times, even for relatively short trips. And that was without knowing what the support staff numbers might be.  :(

I had originally hoped to stick them in a Trojan for the surprise value of detecting two 'Unions' only for one to disgorge a battalion of tanks and infantry.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 11:33:32 by glitterboy2098 »

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2018, 14:45:00 »
a mule and union/trojan would work, the mule can be preconfigured to handle the life support for a large amount of people
if the mech force didnt get assigned a aero unit,
I could see a loonie CG conventional squadron being packed in
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2018, 16:54:49 »
I like the Union and Trojan tag team, because it would look like 2 Unions

If you don't get a Aerospace unit from Buckland force, then assign the 2 Kowloon Coast Guard Fighters either 2 Sabres or 2 Slayers to the Union.

Then modify the Trojan doing away the 2 small craft bays and turn it into Armored Landing Craft. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2018, 19:15:51 »
I solved the cargo bay consumable consumption rate by assuming you could install "bay' quality quarters with an extra half CONEX box of air recycling, with two out of every four full containers being water recycling (i.e., one for the heads, and one for the "processing"). So basically, 2.5 CONEX boxes of "life support" for every 2 squads (assuming you're willing to cram 8 PAX into a 20' (~6 meter) container.  That's two awfully cramped 4-person bunkrooms per TEU without hot racking).  I personally have experienced quarters that were 2 PAX per TEU, and it wasn't bad.  Having the racks turned into bunk beds and doubled wouldn't have been impossible (I've survived worse), but would wear on people pretty quickly.  The most compact berthing I've seen was enlisted berthing on a WWII era minesweeper.  That was quadruple-stacked racks (canvas supporting very thin mattresses) with communal heads.  If I remember right, that ship still had a trough urinal.  Those things are long gone in modern berthing compartments.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2018, 19:23:08 »
I like the Union and Trojan tag team, because it would look like 2 Unions

If you don't get a Aerospace unit from Buckland force, then assign the 2 Kowloon Coast Guard Fighters either 2 Sabres or 2 Slayers to the Union.

Then modify the Trojan doing away the 2 small craft bays and turn it into Armored Landing Craft.

how easily can you refit a dropship to be a vehicle and infantry transport? part of the fluff on this is that these formations were thrown together relatively quickly, so things like custom refit naval units might be a bit against fluff.

edit: playing around in MML, you might be able to fit the whole group into a Gazelle (Upgrade) by swapping the heavy Vehicle bays for additional Light Vehicles bays and some infantry bays. if i knew how many support staff the unit would need, so i can work out manpower. (and thus how many extra quarters would be required.)

alternately i could do like i did with the Goblin tanks and claim a third party product.. a Danais or Trojan line already altered for use as cut-rate troop carrier. (surely there would be a market for those in the IS, given the relative lack of official designs for the job)

I solved the cargo bay consumable consumption rate by assuming you could install "bay' quality quarters with an extra half CONEX box of air recycling, with two out of every four full containers being water recycling (i.e., one for the heads, and one for the "processing"). So basically, 2.5 CONEX boxes of "life support" for every 2 squads (assuming you're willing to cram 8 PAX into a 20' (~6 meter) container.  That's two awfully cramped 4-person bunkrooms per TEU without hot racking).  I personally have experienced quarters that were 2 PAX per TEU, and it wasn't bad.  Having the racks turned into bunk beds and doubled wouldn't have been impossible (I've survived worse), but would wear on people pretty quickly.  The most compact berthing I've seen was enlisted berthing on a WWII era minesweeper.  That was quadruple-stacked racks (canvas supporting very thin mattresses) with communal heads.  If I remember right, that ship still had a trough urinal.  Those things are long gone in modern berthing compartments.
something worth considering perhaps. call it Steerage level quarters? although those would be 5 tons each person.

« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 20:29:06 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2018, 19:29:35 »
No, not steerage quality... bay quality.  There's a significant difference between the two with regard to consumption rate.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2018, 01:17:42 »
When cramping people there, considering that they will be inside for 2 weeks on each inbound trip and 2 weeks on each outbound trip at the minimum, since that is assuming a single jump. If multiple jumps are implied, multiply by a number of weeks. I would prefer somewhat better quarters if I could.

If time is at a premium go for it though :) however, I would expect some people to have a really rough trip and be somewhat unfit for duty at destination for some time afterwards.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2018, 01:27:14 by Elmoth »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2018, 17:49:53 »
how easily can you refit a dropship to be a vehicle and infantry transport? part of the fluff on this is that these formations were thrown together relatively quickly, so things like custom refit naval units might be a bit against fluff.

alternately i could do like i did with the Goblin tanks and claim a third party product.. a Danais or Trojan line already altered for use as cut-rate troop carrier. (surely there would be a market for those in the IS, given the relative lack of official designs for the job)
something worth considering perhaps. call it Steerage level quarters? although those would be 5 tons each person.
That was my thought fluff the Trojan mod as Landing Assault Ship(possible 1 way), given the story you mentioned I would think Inf Bays for everyone.  It also explains the reasoning why it has limited firepower compared to the Union.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2018, 22:06:55 »
whatever way they are accommodated, if i want to use MML to design a modified transport for them, it would help to know how mnay techs, medical staff, etc each unit is liable to have. because i can calculate the number of people crewing vehicles and such, but the support staff i've never been good at figuring out. whats the general rule of thumb for such stuff?
« Last Edit: 01 October 2018, 22:10:28 by glitterboy2098 »

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2018, 22:50:07 »
one of the merc handbooks listed it out,  no idea which one though
probably 3055?

there are also several floating around here in the fanfic section
with detailed listings of personnell needed
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2018, 03:29:42 »
Campaign Operations (pages 20-21) has the latest requirements.  Figure 1 Tech and 6 AsTechs per 'mech, combat vehicle and infantry company (4 platoons), then add 10% of the number of personnel so far calculated (combatants and tech support), and that's how many "admin" you need.  This number includes medical support, which comes in teams of 5 (1 doctor and four medics).  If that's too many for you, you can "double tap" some of the combatants to do a portion of the tech or admin duties.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2019, 16:37:09 »
update: budget issues have forced a possible switch in mini's options for the kowloon force, revised alternate TO&E is under work. the end result will be much more infantry focused, due to the switch to a lower PV tank model (since the available mini's aren't merkava style apc-tank hybrids)

edit: alternate TO&E for the 20th Squadron, 7th Armored Cavalry, Kowloon BTM

400 PV Total
18 Tanks, 6 VTOL's, 16 infantry Platoons.

Squadron 1 (Armor):
Section 1:
Rùa Tank Destroyer (Brawler, Skill 4, 11pv) (counts as Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) )
Rùa Tank Destroyer (Brawler, Skill 4, 11pv)
Section 2:
Section 3:

Squadron 2 (Infantry):
Motorized Heavy Infantry Platoon (Ambusher, Skill 4, 6pv)

Squadron 3 (Infantry):

Air Recon Detachment:
H-7 Warrior Attack Helicopter (Scout, Skill 4, 13pv)

Artillery Battery Detachment:
Mechanized Field Artillery (Missile Boat, Skill 3, 13pv)

as mentioned, this has about twice the infantry (since the cheaper tanks freed up more points. i also boosted the skills of the tanks (otherwise i could probably have stuck even more infantry or a 4th unit of tanks.. but i preferred boosting the skills. the big change fluff wise will be to remove the references to the Goblin tank and have the Rùa become a license build of the Quikcell Scorpion, and rework the infantry full to make them motorized by intent rather than improvisation.

i'll leave this up as an alternate.. if i can salvage that lot of off-brand merkava's i can easily do either version, if i have to buy new figures i'll do whichever i can afford.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 17:22:51 by glitterboy2098 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2019, 13:09:04 »
thoughts for moving those Motorized Heavy Infantry Platoons in a licenced Quikcell Heavy Tracked APC which can use the same engine as Rùa Tank Destroyer.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2019, 19:33:44 »
i'd considered using foot infantry with APCs, but it just seems to me that you get better capability from the motor infantry for the points. you are paying twice as much (6+5pv for fedcom rifle foot infantry + APC vs 6pv for motorized heavy rifle)  for only a few extra inches of movement. the APC in theory gives a few points of protection to the infantry, but the infantry is actually tougher in AS (4A 1S infantry vs 2A 1S APC) and if the APC is destroyed with the infantry inside, the infantry might not survive the APC's destruction, and certainly aren't going to be mobile enough to contribute to the battle from then on, making them a mission kill.

plus thematically the idea of the infantry tooling around in trucks or humvee equivalents (depending on which version of the fluff gets used) has something of an appeal for a out of the way world's militia.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2019, 17:27:29 »
found some figures that'll suit the original idea pretty well. not quite what i had in mind but the price was right on the bay of E. got 19 BMP-1 figures made by either CinC or GHQ (obsolete version) (they're pretty much the same thing, i think CinC bought the old GHQ molds), which while having a bit smaller turret than i'd originally wanted, should work fine for this. i can always claim it is using a unmanned turret after all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2019, 17:37:05 »
I suppose it depends on what scale you're playing.  APCs with embarked foot infantry work best at TW scale.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 09 June 2019, 01:47:30 »
GlitterBoy,
    I like this setup you have created. I really like the 6 Vehicle Plt., I have heard arguments for it in real life.   2 -3 Vic section s offer more flexibility during attack or withdraw. If you loose 1 vic from a section, the other two can alternating between covering/support fire and bounding movement.
    The theory was for IFVs like a Bradley which do not carry armor to take large hits like a tank, sorta like the Vics you created for your loonies.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 09 June 2019, 02:21:26 »

Daryk,

Something I call "hotel California "
9 connex like cargo containers,  for a Plt. Each 5tons.
4 for 1 squad each, 3 for water, water recycling,  communally shared latrines,  2 containers for 1 month of sustainment perishables.
  Stacked 3/3/3, long trip add 2 containers per month. Add another container to keep multiple of three for margins of error on trip length.
   Not designed for long term use, can be unassembled and deployed on planet as deployment housing.
    "Hotel California TM dose not recommend troops to be armed while occupying Hotel California TM products if occupation of Hotel California TM products includes use of Meal Ready to Eat, broccoli burritos,  chili,  or cabbage.
    Hotel California reminds you sedatives are an option".

36 Hotel California containers to move a 4 Plt company add 4 more for perishables as a margin of error. 200 tons to move 4 platoons 1 month distance in a cargo hold of a dropship with a 2 week buffer to keep them alive.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Register