Author Topic: 22nd Smoke Jaguar Freebirth Cluster  (Read 3782 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
22nd Smoke Jaguar Freebirth Cluster
« on: 04 May 2019, 21:39:28 »
Author's note: The 22nd Smoke Jaguar Freebirth Cluster was originally mentioned in the Battle of Luthien Scenario Pack. And... well... for those familiar with that old supplement, that might be all that's needed to be said. For those who aren't, the scenario pack is problematic to say the least relative to how the canon would ultimately develop. Unit names are different, Khans are different, it's a mess. In the most immediately relevant case, the Smoke Jaguars didn't use freeborn warriors, and wouldn't have a "Freebirth" cluster. The 22nd Freebirth never existed.

But that hasn't stopped me before... Ultimately, I wrote this entry to see if I could actually sell the idea of a briefly existing Smoke Jaguar Freeborn unit. It's up to the reader to decide if I succeeded.

The 22nd Freebirth Cluster was a short lived, extremely reluctant experiment by the Smoke Jaguars in utilizing freeborn personnel in their touman. It was also the brainchild and driving obsession of one of its warriors, Star Captain Erik Raddick (an abtakha formerly of Clan Wolf). Though honor-bound to serve his new clan to the best of his ability, Erik Raddick found it difficult to assimilate into the Smoke Jaguars, and his more liberal ideas and thoughts led him to frequent clashes with his fellow warriors both in and outside of the circle of equals. The Star Captain's refusal to learn his place stalemated his career, earned him powerful enemies, and promised a quick path into the Solahmas, forestalled only slightly by his formidable skill on the battlefield. And yet, he persisted in opening his mouth.

As the Smoke Jaguars began preparing for the invasion of the Inner Sphere, a number of the clan's more cautious officers expressed concern about the shear enormity of the task before them. While victory was not in doubt, the shear size of the territories the Clan would then have to garrison staggered the imagination, and was far beyond the practical capabilities of any clan, something that a few of the Jaguars' high command actually acknowledged. The obvious solution of expanding the breeding program was quickly implemented, but would not bear fruit for almost twenty years. With the Jaguars expecting to control vast territories long before then, a more short term solution would be needed.

Star Captain Erik Raddick, drawing on his past experiences as a Wolf, proposed the recruitment of freeborns into the Warrior caste to act as garrison troops. After winning an immediate trial of grievance from a fellow warrior, as well as a trial of refusal against his commanding officer, he was permitted to present this proposal to the Jaguar high command. Though the very suggestion was met by outrage by many within the Clan Council and the Jaguars' senior leadership, it was, surprisingly not, universal. Galaxy Commander Dorian Wirth showed cautious support of the proposal, though only under the strictest of restrictions. The ristar Brandon Howel likewise expressed support for a single, purely experimental unit to be formed to further explore the issue. Nonetheless, when put up to vote, the proposal was soundly defeated. True to form, Erik Raddick issued a challenge of refusal. Though he had no supporters and considered the odds against him insurmountable (better than fifty to one based on the vote), Star Captain Raddick insisted that his duty to the clan necessitated he act. The council session was suspended while bidding to defend the decision commenced, and to the surprise of many in the council chamber, came down to a single mechwarrior, Star Colonel Cordera Perez. The next day, after a five minute trial on the training fields outside Lootera, Star Captain Raddick defeated his opponent and secured his victory. The Freebirth Experiment would commence.

It's not known how Erik Raddick had gotten this far in his strange quest, much less why the Clan Council would let such a reviled issue come down to single combat between two warriors. And with the destruction of the Jaguars, it's likely we can never know. We can theorize, however. Though Erik Raddick was vocal in "bettering" his current clan by adopting some of the practices of his old clan, he was no real threat to the Smoke Jaguars as a whole. He was, however, a nuisance. It might be that his superiors felt the best way to deal with such a nuisance would be to let him fail on his own. If he'd been wiped out by overwhelming odds during his trial of refusal against the Clan Council, it might have ended the man, but not necessarily his message. With some, but very few, smoke jaguars receptive to his ideas, the leadership might have felt it best to give him his chance. And if he could overcome all the obstacles that would be placed before him, maybe, just maybe, he might be worth listening to. However, it's also possible that simple bravado on the part of those who didn't take him seriously is what really helped him along.

Following the victory of Erik Raddick, Khan Showers reluctantly approved the formation of a new cluster, to be designated the 22nd Garrison Cluster (this was later changed to the 22nd Freebirth Cluster to make the unit's place in the touman abundantly clear). To staff the cluster required creating an entirely new training command tasked with identifying those freeborn with the requisite abilities and training them for warrior status. Selection in itself was a hurdle due to the strict restrictions placed by the Clan Council. Freeborn warriors born of Trueborns gained first priority, but only if their truborn parents had had a successful career as warriors. Freeborns who were born of trueborns who had failed their warrior training were deemed the product of failed genes and were rated as even below freeborn candidates with no trueborn heritage, with the vast majority being rejected outright. These standards, combined with the brutal (abusive even by Jaguar standards) training candidates faced, meant the cluster would be perpetually short staffed, particularly its elemental trinary, which never operated at full strength. The Freeborn training program also did not turn out officers. A freeborn warrior might be able to gain command of an infantry or elemental point, but all positions of Star Commander or above were to be filled by "proper" trueborn warriors, which were transfered into the cluster from the training command or Solahma units, often after losing a trial of refusal over their new orders. The only officer who did not contest their placement was Erik Raddick, who accepted command of the cluster and the associated promotion to Star Colonel with his usual tact and grace, promising to show the clan the value of Freeborn Warriors.

The 22nd Freebirth Cluster was declared active just days before the election of Leo Showers to IlKhan and the order to prepare for invasion, but it was far from battle worthy. Material and personnel shortages plagued the unit, as did low morale spurned by the mutual resentment between the freeborn troops and their bitter trueborn officers. Though Star Colonel Raddick attempted to keep his unit together, there was little he could do with the unit shunted into the periphery while the rest of the Clan gained honor in the inner sphere. Despite being posted to an outpost with virtually no chance of real combat, attrition still took its toll as its warriors turned on each other in frustration. Orders from the Khan to take up garrison posting in the inner sphere improved some spirits, but even that was short lived, as the realities of garrisoning the unruly populace of an Inner Sphere world only furthered the internal stress the cluster faced. Star Colonel Raddick knew he needed something to unify his warriors, to get them to see value in themselves and each other. His warriors needed combat. Real combat.

So, with his same brazen swagger, he requested permission for his cluster to join the pending assault on Luthien, and immediately demanded a trial of refusal when he was denied. Once again, and for one last time, Erik Raddick's battlefield luck won through, with his command star beating three points from Beta Galaxy in honorable combat. Raddick did not live to see his victory, however, as he was killed during the trial. Command of the unit passed to Star Captain Edna of binary striker(there was no time to arrange a proper trial for command, and the promotion was considered provisional).

Still, the promise of not just actual combat, but combat on the throne world of the Jaguar's adversary, galvanized the cluster, and brought it together as a unit, just as the late Star Colonel Raddick had hoped. Though they fully expected to act as reserve troops, the 22nd Freebirth Cluster descended into Luthien's atmosphere in high spirits, hungry for a chance to prove themselves, and they certainly got that when they were assigned to sieze the Arisaka Munitions complex near Aomori. Unfortunately, they failed.  Ambushed and out maneuvered by the local militia, the cluster found itself trapped and surrounded along the Shaidan river and gradually worn down until Star Captain Edna saw no choice but to surrender. No members of the unit were returned to their parent clan, and the cluster was stricken from Smoke Jaugar rolls and the "Freebirth Experiment" ended.

Unit Compostion (Battle of Luthien)

Nominally, the 22nd Freebirth fielded a binary and trinary of battlemechs, supported by a trinary of elementals and a binary of conventional infantry. Trinary battle (originally commanded by Star Colonel Raddick) was short three mechs following the unit's successful trial of refusal, and the elemental trinary was short an entire star (primarily due to shortages in elemental armor, excess personnel were transfered to the conventional binary). The conventional infantry binary was short two points of troops, but had been converted from foot troops to mechanized infantry (using recovered inner sphere vehicles). Equipment shortages remained chronic, with much of the unit's best equipment transfered to make up losses in other formations. By the battle of Luthien, as much as half of trinary battle was composed of salvaged inner sphere equipment (and much of the rest was Star League grade). Binary Striker was in significantly better shape, though this was because Star Captain Edna had concentrated the best equipment in her personal unit.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: 22nd Smoke Jaguar Freebirth Cluster
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2019, 15:35:29 »
We had been talking abut this same subject in the Sohwi[url=http://thread.
betweem the 22nd freebirth cluster and and the following from [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Smoke_Jaguar#Military0at the bottom if the military section] thread.
betweem the 22nd freebirth cluster and and the following from [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Smoke_Jaguar#Military0at the bottom if the military section
.   It has been confirmed Hotspots FASA product 1679 at home, I can confirm or admit I'm wrong for beleiving in Sarna that on pg 46  freebirth warriors often raided  the Draconis Combine border worlds between 3053 and 3059

it maybe a case of, while we would love not to need freeborn, but we need them to do those task not worthy of our real Warriors.  But even when they serve in are insults why they are called Freebirth units.

there another use for Freeborn raiders, they keep they enemy guessing about what your tactical plan is as have them hit targets to gain intel and well you get sacrifice/bloody those survivors,  those same freeborn without wasting real warriors to get it
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2019, 18:02:55 »
 Before Operation Bulldog, Clan Smoke Jaguar was fielding Clusters of Bondsmen captured during the invasion for garrison duties. Just a FYI.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2019, 19:02:47 »
I can confirm or admit I'm wrong for beleiving in Sarna that on pg 46  freebirth warriors often raided  the Draconis Combine border worlds between 3053 and 3059

Canonically, the smoke jaguars did not use freeborn warriors during the clan invasion. The 22nd Freebirths was ruled an error (it's hardly the only problematic thing in the luthien book). Page 46 of Hotspots likely would suffer the same fate if a ruling was asked for.

It's worth noting however that the specific contract page 46 refers to does not specify that the smoke jaguars are the only possible opponent, it's simply a garrison contract along the combine border. Nova cats would be just as likely and do use freeborns.

Also, new trumps old. The source that states the Jaguars don't use freebirths post dates both sources that mention jaguar freebirths. So it takes precedence.

Before Operation Bulldog, Clan Smoke Jaguar was fielding Clusters of Bondsmen captured during the invasion for garrison duties. Just a FYI.

Video games are not canon sources.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2019, 15:32:53 »
Like the write up.  8)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2019, 17:55:30 »
Love the writeup!

What sort of 'Mechs would they be fielding? I'm thinking Omnis only for the Trueborns, and second-line for the rest - maybe a few other-Clan-specific chassis captured or salvaged from the field of battle.

As a result, the Elementals would have to be mechanised, lacking sufficient Omnis for a trinary (even an understaffed one) to carry. This opens the door to second-line vehicles ;) Yes, I'm thinking how one would build and paint such a unit ...

And which galaxy? I'm thinking Psi or Zeta, or maybe one like Kappa that has garrison clusters on the roster.

Nice writeup!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2019, 18:19:33 »
Wlso, new trumps old. The source that states the Jaguars don't use freebirths post dates both sources that mention jaguar freebirths. So it takes precedence.

And which source might that be?

All the information I am aware of is that the Jags DO use Freebirths, no matter that some of their warriors might wish otherwise.

Canonically, the only Clan that didn't was the Steel Vipers. For example, check out the rules in ATOW and you'll see modifiers for Jaguar Freebirth troops. They weren't treated well or respected, but they existed.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2019, 19:33:34 »
And which source might that be?

The Invading Clans book detailed how the Smoke Jaguars gradually removed freeborn warriors from their ranks. The Novel Freebirth indicates the Smoke Jaguars did not use Freeborns. It was an actual plot point. Russo Howell's decision to go against it sparked unrest and a trial of refusal from his troops.

There is no smoke jaguar affiliation in the A Time of War book. A text search indicates no mention of the smoke jaguars at all in relation to freeborn troops.

If you can find a current source that indicates otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2019, 05:45:44 »
Era Report: 3052, page 160.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2019, 07:39:46 »
The Invading Clans book detailed how the Smoke Jaguars gradually removed freeborn warriors from their ranks. The Novel Freebirth indicates the Smoke Jaguars did not use Freeborns. It was an actual plot point. Russo Howell's decision to go against it sparked unrest and a trial of refusal from his troops.

Invading Clans was not written from a Clan point of view.
"Curtaiing" freeborn warriors is not eradicating them
"Almost nine" is not the same as none.
Freeborn shows prejudice and discrimination against a Smoke Jaguar freeborn.

There is no smoke jaguar affiliation in the A Time of War book. A text search indicates no mention of the smoke jaguars at all in relation to freeborn troops.

Not an affiliation...rather the interaction between ranks. Jags freebirths get a -2 modifier while Vipers, mentioned specifically as the only Clan to totally ban freebirths, get a N/A and the explicit note....freeborns cannot serve

Its p37 of the companion.

Era Report 3052, p93, also states "The Steel Vipers are the only Clan with exclusively Trueborn warriors in its Touman"

I could give a couple of additional arguments and, given time, provide a couple of more sources but these, I think, are enough.

Freebirths may not have been common within the Clan, but they existed.

In other sources, we can check out the video games...yes, I know, apocryphal...and the Jags raising of bondsmen Clusters, or the taking of bondsmen as seen in stories

Likely, they were present in numbers greater than some might suggest..large enough to justify a training program...and the presence of the 22nd Freebirth Cluster can be used to suggest freebirths were simply segregated and given duties with little chance of honour or glory. Policing the lower castes or patrolling the Exodus Road would keep them out of sight, out of mind though the Hot Spots reference, while not definite, does suggest Jaguar Freebirth units were present within the Inner Sphere, garrisoning worlds and even used for raiding - albeit with second line and upgraded IS equipment rather than front line omnis. This would also tie in with the videogame storylines about the Jaguars raising Bondsmen Clusters.

It is a common myth that the Jags had no freeborn units, both in and out of universe, but it does appear to be a myth, even if it is a myth certain writers share. As it is, there are sources stretching back almost to the inception of the Clans which refer to the Clans attitude to Freebirths - such as Ulric Kerenskys admission the Clan wanted Phelan Kell if the Wolves did not want him. So - prejudice and discrimination, yes - but total eradication from the ranks? No.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 15:30:26 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2019, 14:35:00 »
Huh. How about that?

I think I'll have to ask for clarification in my ask the writers thread.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2019, 22:41:24 »
So officially, the 22nd Freebirth is still considered in error, due to the messy erroneous nature of the entire Battle of Luthien scenario pack.

Which doesn't really change my motive for creating the cluster, since I was working from the assumption that it wasn't canon anyway, but the existence of Jaguar freebirths in general changes the fluff. I'll have to think about how I'll re-write it.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2019, 03:34:44 »
So officially, the 22nd Freebirth is still considered in error, due to the messy erroneous nature of the entire Battle of Luthien scenario pack.

Which doesn't really change my motive for creating the cluster, since I was working from the assumption that it wasn't canon anyway, but the existence of Jaguar freebirths in general changes the fluff. I'll have to think about how I'll re-write it.

Depends on what you want.

For example...

Khan Kincaid Furey created the unit as an experiment of sorts.
His decision to attach it to Beta Galaxy did not help with his popularity within the Clan, but with the invasion coming, it was let stand.
The unit was given every opportunity to fail, both to justify its removal from front line service and discredit kincaid fureys experiment.
Unfortunately for saKhan Weaver, they met every challenge they were thrown at, and were even starting to gain grudging respect.

Their defeat on Luthien was a two edged sword for saKhan Weaver...it got rid of the unit, but also created some friction from warriors who objected to jaguars...even freebirths..being sacrificed for politics. So, just as the unit helped bring down Kincaid, it now brought down weaver.

Now, if you wanted to retain the use of Raddick, other stories come to mind. Or a reserve unit that was going to make a name for itself. I'm thinking 54th Massachusetts here.

Or...well, I'm sure you have plenty of ideas.

Point being, in many ways, I think there are more opportunities for story this way. Personally, I don't see a need to make many changes to your story. It just needs to be experimental in some other way...such as the way you wrote, inclusion in a front line Galaxy.

Actually...I may grab that idea for my own write up ;)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2019, 18:47:02 »
Cool write-up.

What sort of 'Mechs would they be fielding? I'm thinking Omnis only for the Trueborns, and second-line for the rest - maybe a few other-Clan-specific chassis captured or salvaged from the field of battle.

I'd assume they'd get junk 'Mechs.
Old, barely functional 'Mechs. Anything rejected as being substandard but not bad enough to be scrapped outright. Probably mostly old Star League designs and old Clan designs (eg, Royals and even non-Royals, early Clan-made 'Mechs like the Imp and not even Imp C).
Of course, given the Clan way, there probably aren't too many of those left, so there'd be Clan second-line designs certainly. And as you note, Omnis for trueborn, though i'm not sure a trueborn transferred to a freeborn unit merits an OmniMech.

At least i want to imagine it like this, this technological cross-section through time would be very cool looking, especially if they all look like they're borderline junk.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2019, 21:51:56 »
The binary that shows up in the battle of Luthien scenario pack is composed entirely of second line clan mechs. Though this was before the Jaguars' attitude towards freeborns was fully codified. In my writeup I attributed it to the best equipment being concentrated in that binary.

I actually assumed they'd be using a mix of second line, star league era, and captured inner sphere machines (maybe with clan upgrades?).

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2019, 18:54:05 »
Ah yes, dump all the underweight and horrible C variants there lol