Author Topic: A Snake in the Glass  (Read 8782 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
A Snake in the Glass
« on: 04 June 2018, 08:33:39 »
Hey. Bit of a teaser here--an experiment with character & voice. MIght expand & continue this, might not. Waddya think: Too hard to read?

The rattle of a snake’s tail. The raised spines on a porcupine’s back. The flared hood of a cobra. Nature’s way of saying: watch out, stay away. Of course humans, lacking these natural methods, had to make do with artificial ones.

Such as: A snake-and-dagger neck tattoo. Such as: Rounded mirror shades and a custom Sternsnacht Python worn openly in a hip holster.

Those usually guaranteed people got the message, and Sebastian Gore could drink in peace at his regular booth in the back corner of the bar.

Usually. But not today.

Today, there was a woman standing at the end of the table. Sebastian pushed his sunglasses up his forehead to get a look. Tall, wavy red hair, silver wolf’s head pendant at her neck, dressed in a midriff-baring T-shirt, a short leather jacket and skin-tight black pants, hands behind her back. The smoke haze in the dimly-lit bar seemed to coil about her like an old friend.

“Honey,” Sebastian drawled, letting his sunglasses fall back over his eyes, “there’s two kindsa people I wanna see at this here table: Me, and people bringing me drinks.” He raised his lime-decorated glass to her in mock salute, ice-cubes clicking in crystalline amusement. “So unless you got a highball hidden down those pants somewhere … ?”

From behind her back, the woman produced two shot glasses and a bottle of shejiu, a burnt-red liquor with a coiled snake drowned at the bottom, which she set down in the middle of the table without comment.

“An’ Ah thought you was just happy to see me,” Sebastian scooted over to give her room. “Grab a glass n’ park yo’ ass. We really must do this more often.”

The woman smiled crookedly, and sank into the seat opposite Sebastian. “You know who I am?” she asked.

“Ah know who you want me to think you are,” Sebastian said, hefting the bottle, and sloshing liquor into each glass, filling them to the brim. “Not a bad impression.”

“Impression,” she repeated.

“We-e-e-ll,” Sebastian said, “ain’t like Natasha ‘the Black Widow’ Kerensky is gunna walk into a dive like this and talk to a guy like me.”

Natasha Kerensky was perhaps the most notorious MechWarrior in the most famous mercenary unit in the entire Inner Sphere—Wolf’s Dragoons, a five-regiment brigade currently employed by House Kurita’s Draconis Combine. Kerensky commanded the Black Widow Company, a band of discipline cases, misfits and criminals that had blasted its way through enemy lines and into the history books on scores of worlds.

Her opponents claimed she was a war criminal; her admirers said she was an inspiration; conspiracy theorists said she was a fake, a media construct, an actress; entertainment journalists said she was the second-most beautiful woman in the Inner Sphere (having recently been dethroned from the number one position by Lyran heir Melissa Steiner). MechWarriors agreed she was well worth avoiding, on or off the battlefield.

“I sincerely hope that’s what everyone will believe.” The woman calling herself Kerensky raised her glass in a toast. “To friends in low places,” she said, clinked their glasses together when Sebastian made no move, and then threw her drink back in one long gulp.

“Okay, if that’s the way you wanna play it,” Sebastian grinned in amusement, unconvinced. The shejiu snake liquor tasted like a fight with the Black Widow Company—something that was neither pleasant nor healthy. Sebastian wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Lil’ far from home, ain’t you? I heard you was on An Ting. ‘Course, I also heard you wasn’t a real person, just a Dragoon PR stunt.”

“What I am,” Kerensky said, slightly wearily, “is too old to give a shit what mouthy mercs in cheap bars think of me. What the hell is that tattoo even supposed to be?”

“Ou-ro-boros,” Sebastian enunciated carefully, tracing the circular design with a finger. “A snake eating its own tail—a symbol for infinity.” Well, that and a symbol for the mercenary trade in general, he thought. An animal feeding on itself, soldiers fighting so they could continue to fight, forever and ever. Into infinity. “And you, you don’t have better thangs to do?”

“Well, if I don’t kill you in the next two minutes, there might be something you can help us with, Mister Gore.”

“Right. Huge fan, bah the way. Love the way you tear your enemies apart and, y’know, drop major buildings on top of Marik dukes.” Sebastian set down his glass, now empty. “So, what could Ah possibly do for you, the Queen O’ Spades?”

Kerensky flinched slightly at the mention of New Delos, where Joshua Wolf had died and she’d had her vengeance on Anton Marik. She set her own glass down heavily. “You’re Sebastian Gore—”

“The one, the only.”

“—leader of the mercenary company—”

Sebastian held up an admonishing finger. “Private military contractors, if you please.”

“—called the Anything Associates.”

“Makes sure we come first in any alphabetical listing, y’see.”

“So named for your willingness to take on any contract,” Kerensky raised an eyebrow. “And use any methods to achieve your objectives: Riot suppression on Ingress, double-digit civilian casualties. Counterinsurgency on Wasat—where your employer complained you ransomed captured prisoners back to the insurgents. A raid on New Earth—excessive looting, this time. Quite a reputation you have.”

“Something we have in common, Ah reckon,” Sebastian spread his arms wide, a gesture of innocence. “Las’ I heard, you got two convicted murderers in your squad, ain’t that right, Firs’ Lady O’ Death? But hell, if the Houses and corps and all the little guys in between didn’t like it, they wouldn’t hire us, right? It’s a market, supply and demand. People pay us to do things they cain’t be seen to do themselves, or they ain’t allowed to do. The day they decide to play nice is the day me an’ my boys change our ways.”

“I’m the last one to criticize,” agreed the Black Widow. “In fact, it’s your reputation that brought me here, in a way. You see, I’m here to offer you a job.”

One of Sebastian’s eyebrows twitched upwards. “A job, not a contract?” He leaned forward, hooking one finger around the arm of his glasses and pushing them down, so he could peer at her over the tops of the rims. “Lemme guess, a private deal between you an’ me, not through the MRB.”

Kerensky nodded once. “Like you said, something we cannot be seen to do ourselves. Something that might require a team willing to use any methods necessary. Strictly off the books, cash, all in advance. Do a runner and I’ll hunt you down. Screw this up, you’re on your own, I never heard of you.”

“Harsh.”

She shrugged eloquently. “Then don’t’ screw it up. You in?”

“How much?” Sebastian asked, then whistled when Kerensky named her price. He grinned. “Yeah, Ahm in. What’s the job?”
« Last Edit: 04 June 2018, 23:02:58 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Kidd

• Major
Re: A Snake in the Glass
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2018, 09:42:15 »
NARC podded.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2018, 10:56:50 »
Here we go again  :drool:
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2018, 11:24:38 »
Oh, I like. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, if anywhere. As a voice, I followed it and enjoyed the style.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2018, 13:08:50 »
what a nice guy...  and the Black Widow!!!

PING
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2018, 15:29:09 »
ping ping PING!!!!!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2018, 00:41:09 »
I always thought that Natasha would fit perfectly in low places. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2018, 06:42:25 »
Hmm. Not sure whether everyone likes the character, or just cheering to see Natasha. Since her role would have been more of a cameo...

Here's the second thread of the story, also experimenting with a different take on an established character.

Rain slashed across the ferrocrete apron of the Triumph Drop Port on Telos IV in sudden, violent waves, advance scouts for a blast of wind that rattled windows in the reception lounge.

Duke Timothy Kaba blinked a moment, then went back to inspecting his reflection in the darkened window. He had a round face with heavy jowls, with greying black hair and beard cut a millimeter short. He twitched the collar of his hakama—the looser, more relaxed, male version of the kimono—into place, straightening out an invisible crease. It was a resplendent thing, rich opal black with the Kaba family crest of four feathers within a circle worked in shining gold thread.

A grinding clunk cut through the rattling storm, as a movable, enclosed passenger bridge made contact with the airlock of the shuttle sitting on the ferrocrete outside. The Kurita family crest of a curling, serpentine dragon, black on red, was faintly visible through the sweeping sheets of rain.

“My Lord, if you would take your place,” an aide murmured behind Duke Kaba’s ear. Of course, everything must be done correctly and properly, according to required etiquette, especially for this visitor.

He gave the reception room one last quick inspection. Took in the gleaming black boots, gold braid, polished brass buttons and ramrod straight backbones of two dozen of his personal guards, drawn up in two long lines on either side of the passageway to the shuttle. Behind them stood rows of lesser nobles and functionaries, all dressed in their court finery (though none were so foolish as to try to outdo the Duke, of course).

Duke Kaba grunted, nodded once, and positioned himself directly in front of the passageway entrance. Hands on his hips, one hand hooked into the wide sash at his waist, the other holding a delicate folding fan of gold leaf and ebony wood. He schooled his features into a look of patient anticipation.

The first person to appear at the end of the passageway was a monk. A tall man with pockmarked cheeks and a shaved head, dressed in a short black robe over a longer white one, with a sort of orange shawl wrapped around his chest.

The man gave the Duke an almost insultingly perfunctory bow—more of a casual nod—and looked sharply around the room. “My Lord,” he said suddenly. “Our apologies for our late arrival and our thanks for preparing this welcome. Your men must be tired; they are relieved of duty.”

Duke Kaba swallowed a retort. Such transparent maneuvering—it was a vulgar display of authority, as the man knew Kaba could not refuse. With a raised finger, he summoned the captain of his guards. “Take the men outside,” he ordered. “Reinforce the perimeter guards.”

Just as the last clatter of their boots was fading from the room, a cohort of armed men emerged from the shuttle. Dressed in uniforms as drab as his own men’s had been extravagant—black and white with orange highlights indicating their allegiance. Instead of gold braid and brass buttons, they word ballistic armor vests, and the stonic stunners in their hands were charged and ready for use.

They, too, formed a double line on either side of the passageway—but while the Duke’s men had face inwards, these men face outwards, towards the guests.

Duke Kaba’s irritation climbed up another notch at this display of mistrust.

“If everything is quite in order?” he asked the first monk waspishly.

Instead of replying, the man turned to face the passageway, and bowed deeply, bending almost 90 degrees at the waist. He held that position, preternaturally still.

From the shadows of the passageway, a figure emerged, trailed by a retinue of a dozen monks dressed like the first.

She emerged into the reception lounge, and the assembled crowd bowed before her: Constance Kurita, head of the Order of the Five Pillars, Keeper of the Family Honor, the Draconis Combine’s foremost authority on honor and decorum, final arbiter on the requirements of honor and the society’s web of interlocking social obligations—strong as spider-silk, and as easy to entangle.

Kubi ga mechakucha itai yo. Maji ni. Zutto rankiryu ni makikonde, hakiso ni natta. What miserable fracking weather,” the most powerful woman in the Combine declared. “I need a fracking cigarette.”

The flower of the realm, the delicate cherry blossom of the Combine’s soul was short, slightly stocky, built more like a wrestler or weightlifter than willow reed. She was dressed in a black business suit and white blouse, her hair tied up in a rough bun and held in place with an ivory clip. Her eyes and most of her forehead were hidden behind oversized sunglasses, her bright red lips were twisted in displeasure.

“My lady…” said Kaba, rising from his bow, but he was forced to stop when the first monk dashed in front of him, holding a cigarette out to Lady Kurita, then lighting it for her.

Naniyo omae?” she sniffed and took a drag on the cigarette. “Who’s the puffer fish?”

“My lady,” said the monk, bowing and extending an arm to indicate Kaba as the duke went from white to red to purple. “May I present Duke Timothy Kaba, Lord of Telos IV.”

“My lady,” Kaba tried again, raising his voice, “welcome to Telos IV and please accept our thanks for gracing our humble world with your presence, far as it is from the court at Luthien—”

Hai, hai, hai.” Another puff. Adjusting the sunglasses with one thumb.

“—Know that the people of Telos IV are at your disposal, my lady. And, may I add, I too am personally at your disposal. And at your father’s.” He bowed again, and glanced up, adding a private little wink there, just at the end. Marcus Kurita, fourth in line to the Coordinator’s throne, Constance’s father and the Coordinator’s younger cousin, was a man of power, influence. And ambition.

“If you’re one of Marcus’s supporters, you’re an even bigger idiot than you appear.”

Kaba’s head snapped up at the rebuke. He was silent a moment, hands clenched within the sleeves of his hakama. To be spoken to in public by a woman, no matter her family, in such a manner. “This is unseemly,” he fumed. “I must protest this disrespectful—”

Damare. You must shut that wobbly cake-hole of yours unless you want to find your entire fracking inbred family branded enemies of the state,” Constance cut him off, exhaling a long thin stream of smoke, like a fire-breathing dragon. “I’ve just spent four hours in the worst shuttle ride of my fracking life, so I’m not in the mood for whatever pathetic, greedy little dreams you think my father can make come true. Wakatta kana?”

Kaba’s lips clamped furiously shut as she brushed past him, trailed by her retinue of attendants. None so much glanced in the duke’s direction. The first monk smiled thinly, at nothing in particular, nodded his head again in a not-quite-bow, and fell into line at the back of the procession.

Before she had gone more than half a dozen paces, Constance called over her shoulder. “Hayaku koi yo. Keep up, Duke Fugu.”

The hakama was not made for haste, and it was all Kaba could do to avoid tripping over the hem as he rushed to keep up. “But you didn’t—“ he protested.

“I didn’t tell you to breathe or blink either, baka. Iwarenai to nanimo dekinai? At the heart of courtly manners are three principles: attention to detail, a feeling of gratitude, and unspoken anticipation. Anticipation, you understand? If I have to ask you something, you’re already too late.”

They were walking through the spaceport concourse now, headed for the exits. Her stride was quick, purposeful. Kaba was laboring for breath. “Yes, of course my lady—”

“The reason for my visit, show me you’ve at least thought about and anticipated the reason for my visit.”

“To inspect the Order’s warehouses?” he trailed off, frowning.

“Ah, but why?”

Kaba’s frown deepened. “A routine inspection?”

“Routine? Routine? Hontoni baka dane. You think I would visit this miserable used tampon of a planet if I didn’t have to?” Constance stopped abruptly just inside the main doors, turning to face the Duke. He saw his sweaty features reflected in the wide black lenses of her sunglasses. “The DCMS has been appropriating our warehouses on this planet for their own use. I will know why. Arrange a meeting with the commander.”

“Of course, in a day or two—”

“Tomorrow morning, first light. If it ever gets light out here. See to it.”

“Of course,” he bowed again as she swept through the doors, glad for the chance to mask his features. The venomous little viper, he thought. He took small satisfaction in anticipating the rebuff she would get at the hands of the commander. Oh yes, he’d be only too happy to arrange a meeting.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2018, 06:56:35 »
She's half yakuza herself.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2018, 16:36:07 »
Duke Timothy Kaba seems to think that Constance Kurita, head of the Order of the Five Pillars is going to get told off by DCMS Commander...  This should be good. :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2018, 17:39:45 »
This should be interesting. I wonder if the commander will be asked to join his ancestors in the morning. :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2018, 03:52:51 »
Crass.

But also very curiosity-inducing.  :)

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2018, 06:42:01 »
Oh, Constance Kurita played by Shohreh Aghdashloo.  This is glorious.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2018, 07:09:38 »
Crass.
Yeah, that was supposed to be the humor of the situation. The Keeper of the Family Honor of the traditional, conservative Japanese Kuritas not being this fragile, delicate little cherry blossom, but a blunt, foul-mouthed ball-breaker.

Oh, Constance Kurita played by Shohreh Aghdashloo.  This is glorious.
Oooh, that's a good angle. I was thinking more the Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian, Mariah Carey sort of celebrity diva when I wrote it (someone so rich and powerful they make their own rules), but now I'm not going to be able to get that image out of my head! Perfect, exactly what I was going for!

Anyway we're back to the merc thread today.

While Galatea might have been famous as the “Mercenary’s Star”, it was far from the only home of the mercenary trade in the Inner Sphere. Galatea was not especially centrally located, nor really on the way to or from anywhere, and anyway off-limits to anyone the Lyrans considered persona non grata within their borders. The Mercenary’s Star was accordingly orbited by a number of satellite hiring halls scattered about the galaxy, of which the one on Keid was easily one of the least notable or distinguished.

While Galatea paid court to the big hunters like Wolf’s Dragoons, the Blue Star Irregulars or 12th Star Guards—either in person or through intermediaries—Keid was infested with swarms of company or smaller-sized units that buzzed the Terran corridor, picking over the bones of contention among the five successor states, feeding off the bodies of long-dead feuds and hatreds.

The hiring hall squatted in the center of the foreigner’s quarter, a decaying sprawl of concrete and plastic, surrounded by a six-meter high wall along its perimeter. For your own safety, the Capellans explained. To prevent any ‘misunderstandings’ between the foreigners and the locals, they said. The fact that the Home Guards patrolling the wall kept their guns pointing inside, rather than outside the wall, was not lost on the inhabitants.

Within the quarter lived the Lyran, Combine, League or even Federated Suns merchants and traders, expatriates and refugees, as well as a motley collection of private contractors—ranging from everything from German or Chinese interpreters, to private military and security firms like the Anything Associates. Access to the rest of the city was tightly controlled, and even unaffiliated units between contracts were assigned a ‘Guide,’ a Maskirovka minder, in a fairly transparent effort to keep them under surveillance.

A paranoid police state like the Confederation wasn’t going to be happy having armed men who weren’t under their control on any of their planets. The mercenaries, for their part, knew better than to give a regime that could happily massacre its own populace their unreserved trust. Guarded suspicion, that was the name of the game.

Mercenary BattleMechs were stored in a row of warehouses adjacent to the spaceport, where the Home Guard presence was especially pervasive. Heavily-armed squads of brown-and-green uniformed men stood at each intersection, while others walked endless laps around the buildings.

“Evenin’ boys,” Sebastian smiled and waved at the squad outside the warehouse as he walked past. He was met with dull stares of thinly-veiled hostility. One man spat noisily into the darkness. “Pleasure as always.” Sebastian ducked inside.

Inside the warehouse were the machines from half a dozen different units, all of them weather-beaten and dirty, with patchwork armor plating and a casual chaos of paint schemes, ranging from the impractical to the improbable.

The Anything Associates’ BattleMechs were enough to give most battle computers a nervous breakdown. None were in their original configuration, and indeed, each one’s configuration tended to depend on whatever salvage they’d recovered in their last engagement.

Sebastian’s own Black Knight was a relic, a downgraded BL-7-KNT that hadn’t been produced in the Inner Sphere for nearly 200 years. Next to it was a Blackjack sporting a pair of heavy lasers instead of autocannon. A Catapult with its missile launchers replaced by massive particle cannon, a JagerMech with twin drum arms housing massive missile launchers, a Locust with quad machineguns. And so on.

At the foot of the Catapult, the company’s three lance commanders were seated around a rickety, round metal table, a loose pile of cash of various denominations and nationalities in the center, clumped tiles of face-down playing cards around the periphery.

“A pair of threes? Ahd jes’ fold, if Ah was you Zeke,” Sebastian said from behind Zeke Fallon, looking down at the man’s cards from over his shoulder. “Oh, sorry. M’Ah innerupting somethin’?”

Zeke Fallon, big, well-muscled, with a full beard and Mohican dyed white, threw his cards down in disgust. “Well, look who crawled out of his bottle,” he said over his shoulder.

“Ahm hurt, Zeke,” said Sebastian, clapping his hand over his heart. “That was mighty hurtful.”

“You’ll live,” Zeke snorted. “Unfortunately.”

“Ahm a generous man, so Ahm gonna let you take that back Zeke, once you hear the good news,” Sebastian grinned, grabbed an empty chair and turned it around backwards.

Zeke’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “What news?”

Sebastian sat down, arms folded across the back of the chair. Looked slowly at each of his lance commanders in turn. Enjoying the moment. “Ah got us a job. A real job, a raid, none of this garrison BS. Better yet, it pays double our usual rates, in cash, all in advance.”

“What’s the catch?” asked Vinny Woods, a tall, gaunt, almost skeletal man with a smoothly shaved head.

“Well, if that ain’t the darndest thing,” Sebastian said. “Someone wants very badly for us to believe Natasha Kerensky is hirin’ contractors for a hit on the Snakes.”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” objected Danica Smallwood. “The Dragoons work for Kurita. Why’d they want someone to attack them? Not like they need to fake an attack to make themselves look good or drum up business.”

“See, the way this Kerensky-person tells it, the Snakes are screwing with the Dragoons. Red tape. Impounding or confiscating their supplies, stuff like that. All very by-the-book but it’s clear the Combine is yankin’ their chain. Now, the Snakes technically ain’t doing nothin’ against the contract, so the Dragoons cain’t complain, but Kerensky here, she’s had enough. We pose as a pirate or bandit outfit, hit one of the impounded supply shipments, steal or blow up everything. Leaves Kurita with egg all over his face, lookin’ too weak to look after the supplies he’s guarding, and gives the Dragoons leverage to complain, insist on new rules.”

“Sound risky,” said Vinny. “If we get paid in advance, why bother? Why don’t we just turn this story straight over to the Dracs?”

“Well, for one, the Dracs ain’t gunna believe us, nor reward mercs for snitching on mercs. To them, we all the same. For ‘nother, I really don’t wanna make an enemy oudda the Dragoons.”

Vinny was shaking his head. “If it is the Dragoons. This job stinks, Seb. Natasha Kerensky, the most recognizable MechWarrior in the Sphere, here on Keid? And she wants to hire us for some job, with no paperwork, no record, no proof of anything. Stinks. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

“Aw, y’all fold faster than Zeke here,” Sebastian shook his head. “It’ll be fine. You’ll see.”

“You already said yes, didn’t you?” Danica asked quietly, closing her eyes as though to wipe the image of Sebastian away and make him disappear. “You … malfunctioning jump drive. You delayed salary payment. You unexpected ammunition explosion. You total, absolute, utter Great House contract negotiator.”

“Now, now, Danny, language.” Sebastian raised a placating hand. “Y’all feel better once you look at your bank balances. Anyway, love to jaw, but I got a raid to arrange. Gotta get us a berth and lift-off time. Any you folks seen Mutai?”

“Wiped out again,” said Danica disgustedly, waving her hands towards the unit’s temporary quarters, on the upper level of the warehouse.

Capellan Confederation mercenary liaison Commander Abel Mutai was sitting cross-legged in the center of his room, naked from the waist up. Eyes starting at nothing in particular, a slight smile touching the corners of his mouth. A sheet of paper lay on his lap, an empty syringe on the floor by his knee.

Sebastian pushed the door open when Mutai didn’t respond, walked in and crouched by Mutai’s side. Mutai didn’t react, just kept staring blissfully straight ahead.

“Mutai, ole buddy. You been shootin’ Bleach again?” Sebastian toed the needle with his boot.

“Yeah.” Mutai didn’t look at Sebastian, just smiled kind of dreamily.

Bleach, or Wipe as it was also known, had started its pharmaceutical life as a fairly benign antipsychotic drug, which calmed and induced lethargy, as well as an almost blissful, zen-like acceptance of pretty much everything. Your worries and fears were just forgotten, shrinking into insignificance next to the feeling of oneness with creation. The only side-effect was some short-term memory loss. Taking a larger dose extended the length of relaxed forgetfulness, but also increased the severity of memory loss. Didn’t take long before criminal groups saw its recreational potential.

Mutai had come to Sebastian and the Anything Associates as a hard-ass, obsessed with details, a stickler for paperwork. After a few months of them introducing him to Bleach, Mutai now had trouble remembering his own name and job, much less any rules governing mercenaries in the Confederation.

“Terrible habit you got there, Mutai.”

“Yeah.”

“What’s that?” Sebastian pointed at the paper on Mutai’s lap.

Mutai slowly registered Sebastian’s finger, followed its invisible trajectory down to his own lap. Looked down, looking at the paper blankly for a moment. Then a smile filled his features, a look of triumph, of long-lost memory recovered. Mutai looked back up at Sebastian. “Paper,” he said.

“Still got the ole Mutai magic, I see. Mind if I take a gander?” asked Sebastian, already lifting the paper.

“Sure.”

Didn’t take Sebastian long to grasp what he was looking at: An order for his own arrest, dated that day. The Ingress op, the civilian casualties—looked like the Capellans had decided they needed a scapegoat, and after much soul-searching, they had bravely decided to blame somebody else: the Anything Associates, the “out-of-control foreign mercenaries” who’d done the deed.

“You know what this is?” Sebastian asked Mutai, shaking the paper in the other man’s face. Then rephrased: “You know what it says?”

“Yeah.”

“They coming? Internal security? Home Guard? Coming here?”

“Yeah.”

Sebastian whistled through his teeth, and tossed the paper back onto Mutai’s lap. “Fantastic. Outstanding.” He stood up, reached for his Python. “Been a great help Mutai, thanks. Time to go though. Goodbye.”

“Bye.”

There was a single gunshot from Mutai’s room, and then Sebastian was storming out the door, bellowing for the rest of the Associates.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2018, 08:04:16 »
I like where this is going.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2018, 11:54:44 »
*Sits and eats popcorn*  :D
« Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 20:42:01 by ThePW »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2018, 13:35:00 »
Talk about very different to say the least. This version of the keeper of the house honor is very cool to see a very different take on the women from cannon.  A foul mouthed women who smokes and swears and does not dress as the dragon would claim. I like her.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2018, 13:56:07 »
 :popcorn: :beer:

what people don't trust that it could be Natasha throwing a party for the Dracs
and gee are we going to hit the same planet as the Constance Kurita?

and for my take on who could play Constance Kurita I offer up Sister Yolanda[url]

Besides don't we have a very nice and pleasant visit coming up between Constance Kurita and the DCMS Commander on planet..

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2018, 21:20:48 »
:popcorn: :beer:

what people don't trust that it could be Natasha throwing a party for the Dracs
and gee are we going to hit the same planet as the Constance Kurita?

and for my take on who could play Constance Kurita I offer up Sister Yolanda

Besides don't we have a very nice and pleasant visit coming up between Constance Kurita and the DCMS Commander on planet..

This. So much this. I'm just finishing the Second Barrage, and I hadn't even considered this. Rip-off Church FTW.
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2018, 22:07:53 »
got to love Black Lagoon

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2018, 07:55:29 »
Back to Constance, who seems to be the breakout star so far.
I've peppered her rebukes with Japanese, but I think you can still follow without them.
Give me a shout if you'd like a rubric or something, maybe at the bottom of the posts?

Telos IV, Draconis Combine

Duke Timothy Kaba paced from one side of the office to the other. He glanced at his timepiece, for perhaps the fifth time that minute.

“She’s late,” he muttered irritably.

Tai-sa Masaharu Fukuyama, commander of the garrison on Telos IV, sat at his desk, ramrod straight—as always—every last follicle of hair carefully slicked back from his high forehead, perfectly positioned and held in place with a generous shellacking of gel. He brushed imaginary lint from his dress white uniform, ignoring the pacing Duke. “The privilege of rank,” he said.

It took five paces for Kaba to walk from one side of the office to the other. He glanced at Fukuyama, shook his head, and turned on his heel to complete another lap. The checked the timepiece again. “Late.”

Telos IV was not an especially important garrison world, and the commander’s office reflected that. A modest desk, of teak wood, facing two overstuffed leather chairs. A few woodblock prints on the walls—Hokusai’s tsunami wave and Hiroshige’s Mount Fuji—as well as a collage of 2D images of Fukuyama with Warlord Cherenkoff, Chief of Strategies Marcus Kurita, even Coordinator Takashi Kurita himself. A stand holding Fukuyama’s daisho was on a cabinet behind the desk, the crescent arcs of his long katana and shorter wakizashi with their lacquered scabbards and golden, tasseled hilts.

“Calm yourself, My Lord,” Fukuyama continued, expressionless, motionless, only his eyes following Kaba swinging back and forth, like a ball bearing in a Newton’s cradle. Everything on Fukuyama’s desk, from his noteputer to the ink pad holding his official seal, was aligned either perfectly parallel or perpendicular to one of the sides. “We are not without allies in this. Everything has been approved, at the highest levels.”

“Has it. Has it? You think that will save us, if she chooses to make an issue of this?” Kaba muttered, still pacing. “You think any of our patrons would hesitate to sacrifice us to save face or smooth over an ‘unpleasantness’? I can already picture it: Duke Kaba ‘misunderstood’ our intentions. Tai-sa Fukuyama ‘overreached’. Terribly sorry for such confusion, here, as a show of good faith let us relieve them of both their positions and their necks.”

Fukuyama pursed his lips, looking down as if concerned—then reached out and adjusted a pen on his desk a fraction of a millimeter, so that it was perfectly parallel to the paper it sat beside. His face returned to its normal, neutral expression. “It will be best if she can be made to see the necessity of the situation,” he agreed. “If she proves too volatile, there are … other alternatives.”

Kaba slammed to a halt in mid-stride. Eyes round, mouth half-open. “Surely, you are not suggesting … ”

“I am suggesting nothing,” Fukuyama said flatly. Which was, of course, a deafeningly loud affirmation that yes, he was suggesting exactly what Kaba thought he was, and the man must be blind or stupid to even question it. A light lit up on Fukyama’s desk. He allowed himself a tight smile. “Ah, that will be her now. You see, my Lord, she wishes to keep us waiting as befits her rank, but she must come and treat with us, all the same.” An elegant, impeccably manicured finger depressed a button. “Yes?”

Tai-sa Fukuyama … It’s Lady Kurita …” the voice of Fukuyama’s personal aide trailed off.

A microscopic frown of impatience creased Fukuyama’s perfect forehead. “Yes, yes, admit her to my office.”

“Ah, well, that’s the thing … she’s uh. She’s not here, sir.”

“I can see that,” Fukuyama said icily. “Where is she?”

“We’ve just got a call from Tai-i Winters, sir. Seems Lady Kurita is at the Order of the Five Pillars warehouses, right now.”

“What?” Fukuyama bounced out of his chair, spilling an entire lock of his hair free of its silicone prison.

“She’s at the Order’s warehouses, sir—”

“I heard what you said, you idiot! Tell Winters to delay her!”

“Well, um, I don’t think that—”

Fukuyama clicked the line off in disgust.

Kaba clapped his hands over his eyes. “This whole meeting, a setup, a diversion,” he moaned. “To keep us out of the way. Now what do we do?”

Fukuyama was already striding for the door. “We get down there and confront this madwoman before things get out of control. Driver! My car!”

The Tai-sa’s ground car squealed to a stop outside the first in a long line of rectangular, steel buildings, each blazoned with the pillar-and-throwing star logo of the Order. The previous day’s storm still had not abated, drenching the buildings and roads around them with an interminable downpour. Long ropes of rain writhed and coiled about the car like hungry serpents.

Fukuyama sprang from the back seat the moment the car came to a stop, his boots squelching through the puddles, the hydrophobic coating of his overcoat deciding it quite liked rain actually, and would some of it like to snake its way down the Tai-sa’s neck?

By the time he reached the warehouse doors, a bedraggled Duke Kaba in tow, Fukuyama was thoroughly soaked through, his once-perfect pompadour reduced to a windblown morass of tangled hair and half-melted hair product.

At the doorway, a clutch of DCMS soldiers stood toe to toe with an equal number of O5P paramilitaries strung shoulder-to-shoulder across the entrance, blocking access. The Tai-i in charge looked relieved when she saw Fukuyama approaching, then quickly switched back to apprehension when she saw his expression.

“Where is she?” Fukuyama bellowed.

Tai-i Winters saluted. “Yessir, she’s inside sir. These men refuse to allow us entry.”

“Refuse? This warehouse has been requisitioned by the DCMS!” Fukuyama turned to the black-and-white uniformed men in fury. “Stand aside before we make you!”

None of the men blinked or moved. Inwardly, Fukuyama cursed his haste. He’d forgotten to bring his swords, or any weapon at all.

“Oh, let the poor drowned duck through before he has an aneurysm,” a voice floated from out of the shadows of the warehouse. “Yokoso, Tai-sa Fukuyama. Irrashai.

Two men shifted slightly to one side, giving Fukuyama just enough space to squeeze between them. He was just opening his mouth to protest further, when the voice called out to him again. “Tsumaranai pride o sutenasai. Let’s not make this a bigger scene than we have to, Fukuyama-san. Step into my parlor, let’s talk.”

Grudgingly, Fukuyama elbowed the two men roughly aside, and stalked into the warehouse, wet footprints following him with each squelching step. Duke Kaba ducked through the Pillarine’s blocking arms, and trotted at Fukuyama’s heels.

They found Constance Kurita standing in an aisle between rows of shipping containers and boxes, piled high almost to the roof. At her elbow was the pock-cheeked monk from the space port. The business suit and sunglasses of the previous day were gone; instead she wore a neophyte warehouse worker’s brown overalls, with her name across the breast pocket.

“Ah, iyo iyo, there you are,” she said without turning around. “You know, the Order deals in a variety of goods. Ivory is the most famous, of course, since we’ve been granted a monopoly by the Coordinator. Rare woods, spices, foodstuffs, too.” She walked across to the nearest crate, and made a great show of reading the labels printed on its side. “Danger: High explosive. My, my, what have the elephants been eating?” She turned towards the two men. “You have two minutes. Start explaining.”

Fukuyama drew himself stiffly up to his full height, a gesture somewhat ruined by the water still dripping from the hem of his white tunic. “Lady Kurita,” he began, “if you had come to my office, as we had arranged, I could have explained in much more agreeable surroundings—”

“You just wasted 30 seconds,” she said, eyes narrowing. Her hands were on her hips. “Munitions. Missiles, autocannon shells, machinegun bullets. Spare parts—BattleMech parts. Stored in my warehouses. If I didn’t know better, it looks and awful lot like you are stealing from the Dragon, gentlemen. You have 90 seconds. Setsumei shiro.”

Duke Kaba was seized with a sudden fit of coughing.

“This is not stealing!” Fukuyama’s voice rose to an undignified squeak. “These shipments are being held here on the wishes of Warlord Cherenkoff, Warlord Samsonov, and Chief of Strategies Kurita themselves!”

“Samsonov? What does the Warlord of Galedon have to do with a warehouse in the Dieron Prefecture?” Constance shook her head.

The scar-faced monk leaned forward, to whisper in her ear.

“Destined for An Ting? What’s on An Ting?” she looked puzzled, blinked twice. Then smacked her forehead. “The Dragoons. You are blocking supplies to the Dragoons. Why? Are Samsonov and Cherenkoff deliberately trying to provoke them, and weaken the Coordinator? Is this another of my father’s idiot ideas?”

Fukuyama was calmer now, his voice back down to its usual register. “My Lady. I realize a woman cannot be expected to understand the complexities of military matters.” He patted his hair with both hands, trying to restore something of its former glory.

“Try. Me.”

Fukuyama rubbed his hands, warming up to his subject. This was how the morning’s interview should have gone. He could yet salvage this. “You see, the Dragoons must be kept on a short leash. Especially now that the Steiners and Davions are cooperating.”

“By antagonizing them and hamstringing them?”

“They’re just mercenaries—” Duke Kaba began.

“Then why does it matter what they do? Either they’re worthless, unnecessary mercenaries, dear Duke, or they are valuable assets we cannot afford to lose now. Which is it?”

Fukuyama placed a hand on Duke Kaba’s shoulder, gently easing him to one side. “Ah, you see my Lady, you are not a soldier, so you cannot be expected to understand ow—” Fukuyama glared at Duke Kaba, who had just stood on his toes. Ignoring the man, he plunged on. “The steel fist in a velvet glove, carrot and stick you see? We show them how difficult we can make life for them. Then we show them the benefits of cooperation. It’s quite masterful, but I suppose only a professional would understand.”

Constance Kurita was silent for a long moment. Tai-sa Fukuyama waited patiently. One could not expect an amateur to grasp such strategies immediately—give her time to reason it through. The Keeper of the Family Honor continued to look at him, unblinking.

Finally, she spoke.

“You are correct. I am not a member of the military—” Fukuyama beamed at her, nodding in sympathy. Not her fault she couldn’t understand. “—I am merely the daughter of the Chief of Strategies, the niece of the Coordinator, the cousin of two serving MechWarriors, a member of House Kurita, and, unlike either of you two fools, in possession of more than two brain cells. This is the stupidest, most short-sighted, most asinine negotiating tactic I have ever heard of, and that’s including the time someone tried to convince me to buy water from Helmar Valasek.”

Fukuyama’s smile had frozen as hard as his once-perfect hairstyle. Duke Kaba was finding new and interesting things to look at somewhere between his toes.

“This plan seems custom-tailored to provoke a mutiny. However, as you say, that is not my areas of responsibility. The Order of the Five Pillars is. The Order is a civilian, non-military organization. By using our warehouses to store munitions and supplies, you have not only endangered our neutrality and our trading rights, you have also made us a target. I want this gone. I want it all gone. I want a detailed precise list—shipping manifests, customs registration, every scrap of paperwork—for everything, every last missile, shell and bullet, that was stored here. I want a concrete schedule as to when they will be removed, and I want proof when the job is done. Otherwise, I shall be having words with my uncle. The. Coordinator. Wakatta kana?”

Thunderclouds of anger built up across Fukuyama’s forehead. “You foo—fail to see the importance of this operation,” he said through clenched teeth. “In my view—”

Omae no iken ni mattaku kyomi nee yo. I want a list, a schedule, and proof. You can start with the list, by first light tomorrow. WAKATTA KANA?” She turned to the monk. “I’ve seen—and heard—quite enough for one day. Suddenly I feel both sick and tired. Must be my delicate female constitution.” She turned back to the two men. “Why are you two still here? You heard my instructions. Go. Ikina.”

Duke Kaba and Fukuyama turned to go.

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Constance asked sharply.

They turned back, bowed to her.

“Deeper! Hold for three seconds!” she admonished. Smiling. She was enjoying this. “Again! Ichi-ni-san. Ah, that’s better my lovelies. Run along now.”

In the back of the ground car, soaking wet once again, Tai-sa Fukuyama sat rigidly straight, still fuming. Duke Kaba appeared to have melted into a puddle in the rain, slouched, leaning against the side door.

“It is nothing, a mere annoyance,” Fukuyama said. “A few hoops to jump through, to salve her pride. We assign a few clerks to the job. No need to waste another second of thought.”

“The list…” Duke Kaba began.

“Yes, yes. As I said, I’ll give the job to some of the new recruits in the administrative pool.”

“She wanted a full list …”

Fukuyama shrugged. “Let her have it. We just have to find somewhere to store everything. Perhaps one of the Isesaki warehouses?”

“There might be, you know, some things missing from the list.”

Fukuyama slowly turned to look directly at Duke Kaba. “Missing?”

“Well, um, not so much missing as, er. Sold.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2018, 08:08:55 »
Oops.  Sold indeed.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2018, 08:31:24 »
And Natasha thinks the Dragoons cannot be seen dealing with this... she just needs to have a little chat with Constance, and the Dragoons would have carte blanche for dealing with these two idiots. Plus, she and Constance would get along like a house on fire.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2018, 19:36:04 »
Why do I get the idea that the brown stuff of wisdom is going to hit the fan very soon.
I am really enjoying this story, great work. :beer:
Growing up is optional.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 09 June 2018, 22:00:20 »
Oops.  Sold indeed.

Yes but the key question, how much was sold!!!

why is it lately people are writing Kurita characters that I like and kinda could care about...  NOT FAIR.  That being said way to go Constance, you played them well.  Now they think they can play you

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2018, 00:42:13 »
Nicely done so far.  I am loving Constance Kurita here.  She is the most interesting character so far.  Looking forward to where this goes.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 11 June 2018, 04:52:19 »
Verrry interesting.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2018, 14:40:12 »
Nicely done so far.  I am loving Constance Kurita here.  She is the most interesting character so far.  Looking forward to where this goes.

am I the only one who gets a vision of Ken Jeong playing Constance?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Jeong

"but did you DIE?"
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2018, 23:57:43 »
Keid

“Grab your gear, Associates, we move in ten!” Sebastian walked along the second floor of the warehouse hallway, hammering on the doors of each of his men. A bleary face puffed out from having a toothbrush still stuck in one side of its mouth greeted him at one door. A slightly breathless man and a woman wrapped in a bedsheet at another. “Hussle up people. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 C-Bills—evenin’ mister, nice work Kaczynski—ten means ten minutes ladies, not days, not hours, las’ one to saddle up gets to stay and tell the Mask where we went.”

Sebastian found his own room, grabbed an olive green rucksack, and began to throw as much of the room’s contents into it as possible. Stripped down to shorts and a black tank top, threw on his cooling jacket, grabbed his neurohelmet, hung the pistol belt over one shoulder. Then he was out, going down the metal stairs three at a time.

Zeke and Danica were still at the table when he got back. Vinny was on the floor, someone standing over him. Vinny’s eyes were open, but looked at nothing. A pistol lay by his outstretched fingers.

“What the hell is goin’ on here?”

The newcomer turned around at the sound of Sebastian’s voice. Of course. Who else could it be? “About to ask you the same question, Mister Gore,” Natasha Kerensky replied.

“I asked you first.”

“Your lieutenant had second thoughts about the job, and decided it would be more profitable to warn the Snakes,” she said, laconically with a wave of her hand in the direction of the body. “When I suggested that was a bad idea, he invited me to try and stop him, quote unquote.” A minute shrug. “I stopped him.”

“Did he now?” Sebastian looked to Danica and Zeke. “That how it was?”

Zeke just looked at him blankly for a second. “She really Natasha Kerensky?”

“Oh for—who gives a shit? We got bigger problems than one crazy ol’ lady.” He ignored Natasha’s look at ‘old.’. “Cappies’ve decided they need a fall guy for Ingress, and guess who gets first prize in their game o’ pin-the-blame? Company is comin’. I want everybody mounted up. Zeke, get on the line to the Penny Wise, tell ‘em to get warmed up. We’re leaving Keid, like, yesterday.”

Zeke and Danica looked at each other, then back at Sebastian, still processing.

“Go, go!” he shouted at them, waving his arms. “Hostiles inbound. Bad guys comin’. House Liao’s latest great idea is three seconds from impact with the fan. Get movin’!” He turned to Kerensky. “Sorry sugah, looks like the deal’s off.”

“You took the money, you do the job.” She lifted both arms over her head, like a cat stretching. Or a spider, readying to strike. “Feel bad for you though, Gore. You’re a man down. Tell you what, I’ll tag along, keep an eye on you. Let nobody say I’m unfair.”

Sebastian was about to refuse. Reconsidered. “You really the Natasha Kerensky?”

“Would you believe me if I said yes?”

He considered. “Nah. Prob’ly not.”

“Then believe what you want. I’m the ghost of contracts past, the fairy god-mercenary, whatever helps you sleep. But Capellans or no Capellans, I will make sure you honor our deal. Now you can either accept my help or not. Up to you. This guy have a ’Mech?” She toed Vinny’s body.

Sebastian pointed over Natasha’s shoulder.

She turned and looked, and saw what model it was. She started to laugh.

#

Commander Thorne fiddled with the steel whistle at his neck, and looked at his timepiece again. The liaison should have opened the warehouse doors by now. Order an attack, or wait a little more?

Around him, the Home Guard soldiers shifted nervously. Their assault rifles, submachineguns and shotguns wouldn’t do much against a BattleMech. They sheltered in the shadow of a line of armored personnel carriers drawn up in front of the warehouse, but even those wouldn’t stop a particle cannon or laser blast. Pea-shooters and sling stones against megatonnage death machines, Thorne thought sourly. Hell, look at him, using a whistle like some primary school sports coach to order his men into battle.

Surprise was the key. The liaison would open the doors, they’d rush in, catch the criminals with their guard down and their ’Mechs shut off. Was that even the right word for it? Turned off. Shut down? Whatever. The very thought of them made him glad the Home Guard uniforms were already brown.

Where was the damned liaison?

Abort? Go ahead? Every moment he hesitated increased the risk, but then again charging a company of BattleMechs would be suicide. Abort? Go ahead?

“Sir, we must act now!” a subcommander hissed behind him.

Thorne put the whistle to his lips. Filled his cheeks. And blew

“PEEEE—”

The warehouse doors blasted off their hinges, flew across the road, clipping the top of one of the APCs and tearing off its turret, slammed into the warehouse on the opposite side of the road, and then fell to the ground.

“—eee-e-e e… e—”

Through the opening strode a Locust, a machinegun mounted on either side of its boxy torso, another in each of its stubby arms. It strode methodically up along the line of APCs, machineguns keening, puncturing and blasting to pieces one APC after another, like dynamite dominos, igniting fuel tanks and blowing them off their wheels.

Thorne and his men were blown flat by the shockwaves as APCs blew themselves up, covering their heads as a hail of metal fragments fell among them. Thorne did his best to make himself as two-dimensional as possible, face flat against the asphalt.

The ground trembled under his cheek, and when he looked up, the Locust was standing over him, four black barrels pointing menacingly down. From his prone position, Thorne raised his hands as best he could. Watching helplessly as a line of BattleMechs strode from the warehouse, making their way towards the space port—a Blackjack, a JagerMech with barrel arms, a twin-cannoned Catapult, finally something he didn’t even recognize.

The eager subcommander, had found his feet, and raised a shotgun. Thorne watched, paralyzed with fear and disbelief. Surely the fool couldn’t be thinking of. Bang. Ah, definitive proof, that yes, the fool was indeed thinking of taking on a 20-ton battle machine with a shotgun. Bang. Thorne couldn’t even close his eyes, just watched in a kind of sick fascination. Bang. Bang. Bang. The shotgun was empty, but the subcommander kept working the slide, trying to shoot.

In a virtuoso display of balance, the 20-ton Locust stood flamingo-like on one foot, while the other drew back, and then shot forward, almost delicately flicking the subcommander spiraling into the air, into the wall of the building opposite, where he was embedded several centimeters into the wall. Several spare bits of the subcommander impacted around him a microsecond later.

The Locust seemed to give Thorne one last dismissive look, then turned and raced after the others.

Thorne waited until they were out of sight, and then a few moments more, before picking himself up off the ground. He removed his helmet with two shaking, trembling hands, and let it fall to the ground.

“Sir … sir?” One of the recruits was kneeling next to him. “Sir, shouldn’t we warn someone?”

Thorne stared after the disappearing BattleMechs, already reduced to human size by distance. “I think they’ll figure it out,” he said.

#

“A little different from what I’m used to.”

Natasha Kerensky was laughing over the channel. In the Black Knight, Sebastian just shook his head. Woman was driving Vinny’s Locust at top speed down city streets, skidding and skittering around every corner, forever almost-but-not-quite clipping the corners of buildings or stepping on parked civilian cars.

The ’Mech, named “Vinny’s Viper”, had the head of a snake painted over the cockpit, while the bound wound its way around the torso and down the right leg, where the tail tapered to a point on one of the feet.

“Easy there, Kerensky, that thing’s a rental,” he admonished, but she only laughed again.

“Why call it a Locust if the damn thing doesn’t even jump?” Kerensky half-skated the machine around another corner, tipping onto one leg before righting it again. “Mind you, does feel like I’m barely in touch with the ground.”

Sebastian wasn’t sure whether to hope she’d crash, or that she wouldn’t. He checked the map instead. “Space port comin’ up, folks. They gunna have something tougher at the gates than the diddly squat they had back at the warehouse. On your toes.”

On cue, white lighting stabbed up the road, just past the Black Knight’s shoulder. A Manticore tank scooted back behind the cover of buildings at an intersection just ahead.

Kerensky didn’t hesitate, just immediately bolted after the tank, careening around the corner, sprinting around the tank until she was behind it, moving too fast for the turret to traverse. Her four machineguns hammered at the tank’s rear armor in a festival shower of yellow sparks.

The turret was still pointing backwards when Sebastian turned the corner. He took a second to confirm a lock, heard the tone sound in his earphones, and let loose with the big guns. Two laser beams and a bolt of particle fire smacked into the tank, blasting great craters in its armor. One laser beam sliced across the left-hand caterpillar tracks, melting the front drive wheel and severing the tracks like a flailing serpent.

The turret hesitated, and began to swing back towards Sebastian.

The Black Knight was on the immobile tank in four strides, and then the right foot crashed into the tank’s side, driving a meter-deep wedge into its side and rocking it so hard that the entire side was lifted off the ground. The tank overbalanced, and went crashing onto its side.

“That thing is a scout, y’know, re-con?” Sebastian told Natasha. “You cain’t take on main battle tanks with it. Unnerstand?”

“Seemed to work out okay,” she replied insouciantly. “Come on, last one to the DropShip is Maximillian Liao.”

And she was striding off across the ferrocrete apron towards the distant egg of the Anything Associates’ Union-class DropShip, the Penny Wise. Feet flying, barely touching the ground, manmade lightning and a fiery hail of missiles falling about her, leaving her untouched.

“Last time I ever drink snake liquor, I guarantee you that,” Sebastian muttered to himself. Then kicked his machine into a jog, following after.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 19:26:16 by Dubble_g »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 12 June 2018, 08:26:18 »
'Tasha going to town in a Locust ... now I've seen everything.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 12 June 2018, 19:36:58 »
Telos IV

“Sold?”

Duke Kaba nodded convulsively, almost jelly-like in his abject misery.

“Sold?” The Tai-sa was running a comb obsessively over his head, attempting to restore his pompadour to something of its former glory. “Sold?”

“Could you stop saying that?” Kaba moaned. “Yes, sold. Don’t look at me like that. Cherenkoff and Samsonov had no intention of ever shipping any of it to the Dragoons. It’d just go to waste otherwise.”

“Sold to who?” The comb made another pass, then another. A sprig of hair stood rebelliously up from the man’s crown.

Kaba gave a pudding shrug, a sort of semi-liquid shake. “People. I don’t know their names, I don’t know them personally. People. You know. Contractors, fixers, middle-men, yakuza.”

Fukuyama sighed, a sound full of woe, and disappointment with the frailty of one’s fellow men. He put down the comb. “It is not the act that troubles me, dear Duke, it’s that you did it without telling me,” he said. “I assume you had help from one or more of my people. Give me their names, and a percentage, and I may forget the whole incident.”

“But what about Lady Kurita?”

Another sigh. “She isn’t going to personally check every crate herself, you know.”

“You sure about that?”

The car halted and was waved through a checkpoint, then was briefly dipped in darkness as it entered the ramp to the command center’s underground parking garage. The cabin was filled with harsh blue-white light from overhead illumination bars once they were inside. The driver slowed to a stop in front of the commander’s personal elevator.

Fukuyama reached forward, and tapped the driver on the shoulder. “Wait outside for us, for a moment.”

“Yessir,” the man said, opened and closed the door, and stood nervously beside the elevator controls.

Fukuyama turned to Kaba, and laid a firm, reassuring hand on the other man’s shoulder. “Now, Duke Kaba, we have been fortunate. It seems all we need to do is buy a little time, make a show of fulfilling Lady Kurita’s demands. We make the list, as requested. Doesn’t matter if everything on the list is actually in the warehouses or not. Shift some of the impounded material to another location—not to worry, it can all be moved back. She’s a woman, you know what they’re like, butterfly minds. Once we show her we aren’t planning sedition or rebellion, she’ll lose interest and won’t stay here for long, and this whole incident will be just a minor, territorial squabble between the O5P and DCMS. At least, that’s the best-case scenario.”

Kaba, who had been nodding encouragingly through Fukuyama’s speech, stopped mid-agreement. “And … the worst-case?”

“Women can also be vindictive,” Fukuyama said gravely. “She may seek to make an example of either one of us. Or both.” The friendly hand on Kaba’s shoulder turned hard. “In which case, My Lord, I would like to know that you stand ready to do what is necessary.”

Kaba’s eyes twitched from the hand clamped on his shoulder, to Fukuyama’s face. “Necessary?” he echoed.

“I will not have my career ruined because some … woman … suddenly decided to meddle in military affairs. Ammunition dumps are dangerous things, My Lord,” Fukuyama said somberly. “Accidents can happen.”

“Dangerous,” Kaba repeated. “Accidents.”

Fukuyama’s hand relaxed, and gave the Duke a reassuring pat. “Just so. But, let us pray it does not come to that. Now, how about a cup of tea? Or something stronger? We need to decide how much to tell Lady Kurita, and what to do about her … explosive allegations.”

#

“What do you make of them, Ishikawa-san?” Constance Kurita watched the tail-lights of the ground car disappear, swallowed by the insatiable rain. Did it ever stop on this miserable planet?

As if in answer, lightning sheeted and rumbled across the sky.

At her side, the gaunt monk half-closed his eyes a moment in thought. “Alone, either man would be nothing, inconsequential, my lady,” he said at last. “Together, they could be dangerous. The Duke is greedy, but indolent, lazy, a coward. The Tai-sa is ambitious, proud and unbending, but lacks imagination. I fear the Duke’s greed may put the commander in a position from which he cannot back down.”

The Keeper of the House Honor sighed, patted her hair, gave it up for a lost cause. She’d thought, on becoming an adult, that things would be different, but no: everyone still acted like teenagers, 30, 40 or 50-year-old teenagers, the stars were filled with teenager cliques still sniping at each other for the pettiest, stupidest shit they could imagine. The galaxy was a high school. “Maitta naa. Their story, about Tai-sho Cherenkoff-san and Tai-sho Samsonov? And yes, my father. Do you believe that?”

The monk, Ishikawa, nodded almost reluctantly. “As I said, Tai-sa Fukuyama lacks imagination—I doubt he would concoct a plan to steal supplies, much less create a cover story to hide it.”

Constance closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. “Yappari ne. What I was afraid of,” she muttered. “Fighting among ourselves while our enemies grow closer together. The last person to try something like this with the Dragoons had an entire building dropped on top of them. So, Cherenkoff-san and Samsonov-san are in on this. And my uncle?”

Ishikawa’s smile was apologetic. “I find it hard to believe that the Coordinator is completely ignorant of these developments, my lady.”

“So do I.” She looked glumly up at the stacks of crates towering over them. “So do I.”

Another rumble shook the building, spilling a powdery shower of dust from the rafters.

“So, close our eyes and pretend we saw nothing, or act to save the Dragon from its own foolishness?” Constance chewed her lip. “Perhaps I can convince the oyaji to at least remove Samsonov. And the two cretins here.”

Ishikawa said nothing, distracted by something outside the warehouse.

Another rumble, producing a thicker rain of dust. The ground trembled a little, and one of the lighter, smaller crates shifted a little on its perch atop a stack of larger ones.

Bikkurishita ne. Jishin ka to omotte ita. That was close, wasn’t it, Ishikawa-san? Ishikawa-san? Ishikawa-san?”

The monk’s eyes were glued to the horizon.

#

Tai-sa Fukuyama was shuffling through a sheaf of papers, shaking his head in mock-wonder. “Almost a quarter of the stores are missing, My Lord. You have been busy. You must be paying off virtually every man in the garrison.”

Duke Kaba stood at the window, although there was little to see but near-solid sheets of rain, lit by the occasional strobe as sheets of lightning flickered among the clouds, keeping up a constant rumbling atmospheric percussion. In his hands, he held a long thimble of clear nihonshu liquor—even as provincial as he was, he was not so gauche as to call it ‘sake’ or drink it warm—and lifted it to his lips before answering. “The Dragon rewards its servants with loyalty and honor, not K-Bills,” he said, licking his lips. “Every man needs to make a living.”

Behind Kaba’s back, Fukuyama held up a sheet of paper and flicked it with one index finger. “Well, it’s going to make it hard to pull the wool over Lady Kurita’s eyes.” He put the paper down. “An accident is beginning to look more and more attractive, don’t you—careful, you clumsy fool!”

The thin glass slipped from Kaba’s fingers, shattering on the floor, just as another loud percussion—much louder, actually, much closer—blatted into the room. Kaba wasn’t looking at Fukuyama, however, he was staring out the window. Heedless of the sweet-smelling drink pooling at his feet.

Fukuyama rose to stand next to the Duke, peering through the window. “What the—”

The blue-grey skyline was broken by a swirling, roiling ball of red-black flame and smoke ballooning into the sky. A moment later the windows rattled at the blast wave blew over the headquarters.

An intercom light on Fukuyama’s desk was blinking frantically. He charged back to it, slamming his hand down on the button. “What was that?”

Tai-sa Fukuyama!” replied Fukuyama’s aide on the intercom. “We are under attack! BattleMechs, our outer perimeter is being overrun!”

“Scramble the garrison! Get me eyes on the enemy, I want a full sitrep in 15 minutes. I’ll be at the CP, have all battalion commanders meet me there.”

#

The ground seemed to lurch under Constance’s feet. A spray of water was thrown in her face, blown by a racing wall of hot air that raced through the warehouse. Outside, a red and black mushroom rose like a demon jellyfish in the liquid air.

Bakudan? An explosion?” she gasped. “Kaba? Fukuyama?”

Nigenai to. My lady, we must get you out of here,” the monk Ishikawa insisted, grabbing her arm, pulling her towards the warehouse doorway. “Worry about it later. There’s enough TNT here to level half the city.”

The security detachment of O5P paramilitaries crouched on either side of the doorway, the stunsticks, sonic stunners and tranq guns they clutched in their hands looking small and useless. The adept in charge was shouting into a radio, seemingly carrying on a conversation with a cloud of digital static. At the adept’s signal, the security detachment formed a double circle around Constance, but she felt far from reassured.

Slow-moving shadows lumbered through the rain. Human-shaped, but impossibly large. The grinding crunch of their footfalls was audible even over the drumming rain. Constance shivered.

From between the long lines of warehouses, a bobbling line of twin headlights raced towards Constance and the others.

“Hold tight, my lady. We’ll have you out of here soon,” Ishikawa said, nodding towards the approaching vehicles.

Korosareru zo. Tell them to turn off their headlights,” she shouted at the adept, ignoring Ishikawa.

“What?”

“Headlights. Off.” Even as she shouted she knew it was too late, had probably been too late the moment those vehicles came into view.

Twin beams of brilliant, angry red light came stabbing through the gloom, and tore apart the lead vehicle in a shower of molten metal fragments. The others behind it squealed to a stop on the wet asphalt, some swerving or colliding, forming an immobile, impossible-to-miss morass.

The killing light flared again, and reduced the convoy to charred metal and burning rubber.

Constance Kurita found herself face-down on the ground, Ishikawa crouched over her, shielding her as glowing shrapnel rained down on them. Angrily she shoved him away, finding her feet.

“My lady, we must flee!”

“No,” she shook her head. “I have a better idea.”

#

The map room in the headquarters’ reinforced bunker of a basement was crowded with men by the time Tai-sa Fukuyama arrived, all gathered in a football huddle around a map of Triumph City pinned to the wall. A laminated overlay had been used to hastily scrawl green arrows of movement, blue blobs of men and machines, red dots of enemy forces.

“What do we have, gentlemen?” Fukuyama asked as he strode in.

A Sho-sa saluted. “Sir, about a battalion of BattleMechs, unsupported as far as we can tell, approaching in an arrowhead formation from the east. They’ve overrun a number of minor outposts at the city outskirts. We now have the 441st ‘Hayate’ hovertank battalion harassing their flanks. The 506th ‘Adachi’ and 509th ‘Kurumaya’ motorized infantry are moving into position, but frankly sir, they don’t have the firepower to be more than a nuisance.”

“Their DropShips?”

The Sho-sa shook his head. “Unknown, sir. In this weather, they could have come down anywhere and we wouldn’t know until they were right on top of us.”

“Well, find them. Get the 77th interceptor squadron airborne and looking for those ships. Now, what are those bastards after?”

“They appear to be heading straight for the warehouse district, Tai-sa.”

“Sir! Lady Constance Kurita is in that area now. She must be evacuated!”

“The warehouse district.” Tai-sa Fukuyama shared a long, meaningful look with Duke Kaba. “Of course,” he said absently. “Evacuated, yes of course. Yes. I will see to it personally. My own security detachment. Or better yet, perhaps Duke Kaba would be kind enough to lend us some of his men, as well? My Lord?”

Duke Kaba blinked, then nodded slowly. “Yes … yes, certainly. It would be our pleasure and honor. As many as you like, Tai-sa.”

“Excellent. A company ought to do, eh? You have my complete faith, My Lord. I shall consider it done.” Fukuyama clasped his hands behind his back, staring down at the map. “What is the status of the 99th artillery battery?”

“On station, sir. Twelve tubes, 120mm. Do they have a target, sir?”

Fukuyama smiled, nodded. “They do. We know where the enemy is headed—let us allow him to get there. Once we get the all-clear that Lady Kurita is safely away,” he paused, glancing at Duke Kaba again, “Have the 4-4-1 fall back, let the enemy claim their prize. Then, I want every tube to fire on the warehouse district—specifically, target the O5P warehouses on the eastern end.”

There was a shocked silence. Several of the men gathered around the map glanced sideways at each other. “Yes?” demanded Fukuyama. “Is there a problem?”

“Sir, as you know sir, munitions are currently being stored in those warehouses…” one man began hesitantly.

“Sir,” said another. “It’d be like Krakatoa if we hit anything.”

“Well, yes,” Fukuyama nodded. “That’s the idea.”
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 19:59:03 by Dubble_g »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2018, 19:42:57 »
This is going to be good, wonder what she got up her sleeve.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 June 2018, 00:30:45 »
There aretwo men who had better have their tanto blades ready for their self-embowelment.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 13 June 2018, 05:21:15 »
She won't be that merciful.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 13 June 2018, 08:31:53 »
There aretwo men who had better have their tanto blades ready for their self-embowelment.

They´ll be lucky if Constance lets them use spoons.
-Frederick the Great

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 14 June 2018, 01:18:29 »
They'll be lucky if Constance lets them self-disembowel.

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #36 on: 17 June 2018, 03:12:19 »
That's not a nice situation, in a heavy weapons battlezone without equipment - a long way to go before denying traitors self-disembowelment.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2018, 01:56:33 »
Hey folkses,

Real life been catching up with me--writing for real cash money now as opposed to Internet fame. Gonna have to let this one sit for a while.

Also saw the following announcement over in the upcoming releases thread

According to Brent, the reason we haven't seen any new product is that they're focusing the entire stable of BT authors/developers on moving the storyline forward via fiction. This means that they've got to focus on that and even the smaller products would be a distraction from that effort. There should be new fiction, in Barnes and Noble at least, sometime next year.

Which kind of took the wind out of my sails, motivation-wise. It's been fun to play in this universe with no official competition, but if they're cranking that up again not much point in trying to compete.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 19 June 2018, 02:23:05 »
Writing for real cash.
Are you trying to tell us that even authors have to eat. :D
Good to see publishers can see your real talent as well, good luck in your endeavors. :beer:
Growing up is optional.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #39 on: 19 June 2018, 03:09:36 »
Hey folkses,

Real life been catching up with me--writing for real cash money now as opposed to Internet fame. Gonna have to let this one sit for a while.

Also saw the following announcement over in the upcoming releases thread

Which kind of took the wind out of my sails, motivation-wise. It's been fun to play in this universe with no official competition, but if they're cranking that up again not much point in trying to compete.

Your writing is easily as good as the official stuff. I know I´m going to continue reading it, no matter how much official fiction is published, as long as you continue writing it.
-Frederick the Great

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 19 June 2018, 05:13:06 »
I agree.  I've enjoyed your stories more than several of the published novels.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 June 2018, 08:36:54 »
I'll try to pick up some of the slack but I definitely do enjoy your writing as well.  It will keep my four fiction threads in the top 10 for longer however.  Mwhaha

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 19 June 2018, 11:09:09 »
Can't blame you for wanting to be paid. I think the Battletech guys should hire you, your writing and Kovac-ian protagonists are much better than their usual fare.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 19 June 2018, 13:49:04 »
If you hadn't (seemingly) made it more explicit, I'd have thought you were writing FOR Battletech.

Your work is easily as good, often better, than the majority of published Battletech fiction. I hope that you can contribute to the new stuff in addition to your paid project :thumbsup: which, BTW, you totally ought to shill on your blog... wink wink nudge nudge.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 19 June 2018, 14:00:46 »
Congrads on getting paid for writing, I will miss your stuff here...  maybe we should ask what you are right for $$.

Best of all luck
 :beer: :clap: :rockon:

by the way I guess that means the Company need to get back to real work

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 20 June 2018, 13:07:55 »
I  would rather see you get paid for your writing as well.  Gratz!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 24 June 2018, 19:28:15 »
Just wanted to leave a quick note to say thank you for all the well wishes. Current project is for a business client, so I'm afraid it won't be appearing anywhere in print anytime soon, or ever really. Does pay slightly better than nil, so there's an upside to it. As for future stories, for the moment I leave you in AlphaMirage's capable and prolific hands. Cheers.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 24 June 2018, 19:58:11 »
sorry to say we won't see it in print