Author Topic: Why wheels on BA?  (Read 2014 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Why wheels on BA?
« on: 06 August 2017, 08:46:43 »
The Tortoise II BA has captured my interest after realizing that wheels could mean that the design was built with a trailer in mind - but who came up with the idea?

A couple more questions, too.  Are the wheels free-rolling, or is there a transmission geared to them?  If it could be adapted to a tow vehicle role, what might be the maximum mass it could move?  It was presented from the point of view of the Republic Remnant, but because of the Walls it was unknown if it was still being developed - was there a plan to take this design somewhere, like the Quadvees?  The design uses a quad chassis, but wheels are simpler than legs - shouldn't thereby be a mass or price break for wheels?  Will there be rules in a future product, or is this just a one-off unit that never amounts to anything?

(If it is possible, I think 5 tons might be a realistic limit.  Other limitations like being unable to change elevation upwards, and a limit to one hex/Turn come to mind.)

Thanks.
Was there any plan to
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Why wheels on BA?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2017, 03:29:40 »
Not able to answer all of your questions, because I'm not the one who came up with it and to others I cannot give you an answer, because I cannot give you information that has not been released in a product (i.e. if there are any in universe plans to take the design any further).

What I can tell you is, that the wheels are purely there for flavor. They have no extra rules and abilities (of course, you can always give them some in your game, your suggestions actually make sense from an engineering point of view). They look cool, they are something very different. For the time being, that is it and it is unlikely to change because that would mean, that we would have to go back and redo the stats for the Tortoise II BA, because it was constructed using the rules we have. That doesn't mean it will never happen (decisions like that are made above my pay grade and I'm not privy to everything that is going on in the Dev-team), but as it stands right now: nope.

Who came up with the idea ... no clue right now. But I agree with you, it is a great one. :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Why wheels on BA?
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2017, 15:55:21 »
Thanks.

...I keep thinking of the incredibly fast, under ten ton vehicles designed by people - it makes me itchy to invent something.  >:D
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Register