Author Topic: Play by Post - Discussion, then game; ISaW  (Read 5749 times)

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
Play by Post - Discussion, then game; ISaW
« on: 09 April 2016, 22:31:12 »
Inner Sphere at War.  First we are discussing the rules to homebrew a few things they have left open (purposefully, to save space and for supplements), then we will play the game.  We are starting at the dissolution of the Star League before the 1st SW and playing onward from there. 

Currently we are at 6 players including myself.  Really, I want to play more than I want to GM. 
As for sides/players we'll have:

1 ) GM & ComStar  At some point in the game this could/might/will evolve into one or two actual player factions (ComStar & the Word of Blake). 

2 ) Federated Suns / Davion - still open

3 ) Free Worlds League / Marik

4 ) Lyran Commonwealth / Steiner

5 ) Draconis Combine / Kurita

6 ) Capellan Confederation / Liao - kinda open

Possible other factions with enough players (otherwise will be GM factions)

7 ) Magistracy of Canopus

8 ) Outworlds Alliance - open

9 ) Taurian Concordat

With enough players/interest we could even have a separate Clan game going on.

The Starting Clans would be:

Clan Blood Spirit
Clan Burrock
Clan Cloud Cobra
Clan Coyote
Clan Sea Fox
Clan Fire Mandrill
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Clan Hell's Horses
Clan Ice Hellion
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Nova Cat
Clan Smoke Jaguar
Clan Snow Raven
Clan Star Adder
Clan Steel Viper
Clan Wolverine - Most likely a GM faction
Clan Wolf

If we do a Clan game we will have to modify a LOT of the rules.  It would be it's own sub game going on while the rest play.

We're already discussing some very inclusive rules on gaining/losing technology and production. 

The game is at RPol http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=66595&date=1460191814 and named "Battletech - Inner Sphere at War" If you want to join, you'll have to send an RTJ (Request to Join), you should see it on the screen once you've set up an account.  If you need any help, message me either there or here.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Play by Post - Discussion, then game; ISaW
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2016, 16:35:53 »
How are you handling experimental tech?  I'm specifically looking at the Blazer Cannon here...

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2016, 17:45:41 »
Experimental tech is one of the discussions.  My thoughts are to pay X RP amount to do the research (or X amount to continue research), roll a 9+ to achieve the tech.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2016, 17:50:38 »
Would the 9 go down as research continues?

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2016, 21:50:59 »
Probably not, but like I said, all this is open for discussion on once there are few ideas for each topic I plan to have a vote on what everyone thinks is the best.  Once that happens, we'll narrow down the specifics.

Heck, if people are just in to play with optional rules and watch the fireworks that works as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2016, 03:44:03 »
When are you looking to start?  I'll want to do some research before committing.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2016, 09:47:25 »
When we're ready, I really can't give a closer answer than that.  If I have a handful of people that don't mind doing the data mining and the rules making that is needed, it would still most likely be another month.  Without that, even longer.  The right people could take it down to weeks I suppose.

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2016, 09:59:17 »
I'm plausibly interested but would love to see a bit more in the way of details.

How will you be executing turns in IWS?  Will there be an order sheet or something?

How about ACS?  Will all battles be done in this system?  How would it be executed?

Hope I'm not being a pest.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2016, 11:19:19 »
I'm plausibly interested but would love to see a bit more in the way of details.

Come on by the site, sign up (it's free), and visit my game's sub-thread.  There click on "Request to Join".  Or just browse, barring messages between players everything is in the open so far.

How will you be executing turns in IWS?  Will there be an order sheet or something?

As of this point in time, there will be a GM (hopefully not me, but probably will be me).  Turns will be simultaneous with the GM adjudicating any issues cropping up.  And yes there will be order sheets.

How about ACS?  Will all battles be done in this system?  How would it be executed?

Unless two players decide otherwise and handle that portion themselves, it will be all ACS.  That has yet to be fully figured out, but I'm guessing order sheets and everything as you would do on tabletop, just with posted map sheets instead of ones on a table in front of you. 

Most likely there will be an agreed upon post rate.  What that rate will be, well that is really up to everyone involved.  What I see likely is 1-2 days for ACS orders and Weekly for ISW Turns.  Much slower than that and the game becomes untenable, much faster and there will be player drop from the extreme rate.

Hope I'm not being a pest.

Nah, I don't mind at all.  The more I think about things, the more I can find potential issues/problems and solve them before they come up or the more I can extoll the virtues of playing it this way.  Where else could you do this and have players leave, players come in, the game span ALL the SW, and basically cover everything?  Try to do it on tabletop and something will get knocked over sooner or later or someone will drop out, etc.

Seriously, everyone reading this thread.  Come on by.  You aren't writing out a contract in blood to play.  Especially if you come by and just sign up saying you're there to help with the rules, to watch (there is a Lurker status where you get to just watch), or just to 'maybe' play.  I have run a few Roleplaying games on the site (running one now) and been part of a few others.  The drop out rate is about 50% or more at the game start.  I'm not expecting anyone to commit to anything at this point.  Hell, even once the game is going, I'm not asking for full commitment, just that a player that can't continue give notice.  Once the game is going, finding replacement players should be easy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2016, 19:16:52 »
I don't think I'll be able to keep up with that post rate, so please don't hold anything up for me. Sorry...

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2016, 21:12:16 »
You're still welcome to come by to take part in the rules discussion and/or watch.  Plus, the post rate isn't set in stone yet much less even discussed yet.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2016, 17:29:14 »
I took a gander the other day... I'll probably be back at some point if/when work settles down a bit.  Thanks!

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2016, 07:15:27 »
pfarland,

Looks like you have a lot of interesting ideas.  I think it would be best to start to coalesce these into a formal rule clarification document that could be shared and commented on.  I've used google drive for this purpose on other projects successfully.  Right now it seems like you are splitting discussion between here at rpol.net which I honestly find a bit confusing.

You are also going to need a map, a way to update that map based on changes, an order sheet.  So a lot of work before you can get started in earnest.

Good luck to you and I hope to check back when you have things a bit more solidified.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2016, 16:17:22 »
Speaking of maps, try davout... he drew one up for me very quickly when I asked.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2016, 13:50:16 »
Looks like you have a lot of interesting ideas.  I think it would be best to start to coalesce these into a formal rule clarification document that could be shared and commented on.  I've used google drive for this purpose on other projects successfully.  Right now it seems like you are splitting discussion between here at rpol.net which I honestly find a bit confusing.

I've talked to Worktroll in another thread, part of the issue with this is that I'm hitting a lot of work that will be gone over in the ISW Companion (or whatever it'll be called).  Obviously, I can't be privy to that info and as such those questions won't be answered.  The other issue is that what I'm talking about is even beyond the scope of ISW.  At most a big game should be one of the Succession Wars, not everything.  While a coalesced document is a good idea and things are getting to that point, I'm still trying to figure out how to do certain things.

As for the split discussions, I didn't think about the people that might be trying to read both.  Sorry.

You are also going to need a map, a way to update that map based on changes, an order sheet.  So a lot of work before you can get started in earnest.

Good luck to you and I hope to check back when you have things a bit more solidified.

I've got the map, a map for the ACS, and a way to update them already.  An Order Sheet and most of the paperwork I can throw together in a matter of a few hours.

Thelosttexan

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2018, 20:45:14 »
So where does this stand at the moment?