Author Topic: Tell Me About...the Heavy Flamer (Mech & BA)  (Read 2655 times)

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
Tell Me About...the Heavy Flamer (Mech & BA)
« on: 20 May 2020, 18:00:47 »
So I'm looking in Megameklab at the heavy flamer for Battle Armor and I go to look it up on the wiki for more details and come up blank. Then I try digging around for it on other sources.

Can one explain the attraction of the Heavy Flamer on Battle Armor to me? Or on mechs for that matter...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Tell Me About...the Heavy Flamer (Mech & BA)
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2020, 18:28:48 »
are we talking the Heavy Flamer or the Heavy Support Flamer?

many BA weapons have different names than their mech counterparts.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2020, 18:34:10 »
It is a more powerful flamer. Emphasis on flamer, meaning it basically has all the issues flamers have: short range, low damage, comparatively heavy weight for what it does.
On battle armor, it is a dubious weapon because it weights so much. Not useless, if you gotta use it, and its inefficiency does make it relatively cheap. But the suits that can carry it tend to have better and/or more useful options. Consider the Black Wolf, whose plasma config offers anti-BA capability and heating option, or ER small pulse that deals more damage with better range and to-hit bonus along with anti-infantry capability, or BA LB-X for anti-vehicle work. The heavy flamer doesn't seem terribly interesting or great compared to those.
On 'Mechs, it suffers from similar issues. It is heavy for its range and damage, requires ammo. Standard flamer or ER flamer offers same utility more effectively usually. Its sole boon are the special ammo options, but few 'Mechs mount the weapon, let alone enough ammo to make use of alternate options.

On vehicles, the heavy flamer is more interesting option, because it is like a vehicle flamer and doesn't require heat sinks (IIRC). But i can't actually name any vehicles that use it...

are we talking the Heavy Flamer or the Heavy Support Flamer?

many BA weapons have different names than their mech counterparts.
Heavy support flamer is not a BA weapon but a conventional infantry weapon. The BA heavy flamer is called just that, "heavy flamer".

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2020, 04:40:08 »
I never understood what the point of this weapon was.
It was supposedly developed by a clan, meaning it's a ton heavier and needs explosive ammunition. Though it's not really a good deal for IS, either.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2020, 07:46:24 »
How does it interact with the 'enhanced flamer' optional rules?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2020, 10:54:47 »
How does it interact with the 'enhanced flamer' optional rules?

Very good. And that's how it is supposed to be used, really
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Register