Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Stygian Strike Tank  (Read 5141 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week: Stygian Strike Tank
« on: 21 January 2013, 13:53:42 »
Vehicle of the Week: Stygian Strike Tank

Introduced in 3062 in response to a 3050s push by Captain-General Thomas Marik (who wasn't actually Thomas Marik, but that's another article...) to build up League forces in a more economical way than just the expensive BattleMechs of the 3050s.  Brooks Incorporated's Irian facilities responded by building a bigger version of the Harasser armed for long-range missile combat, a field that the FWLM had spent a considerable amount of time and effort developing advanced new munitions for.  After field testing with the 2nd Free Worlds Legionnaires, nicknamed the Stygians, the tank was renamed by Brooks in thanks when Corrine Marik, the 2nd's commander, recommended it for widespread deployment with the FWLM.  Initially concentrated in the 2nd, the Stygian began to be disseminated more widely within the Legionnaires in the months leading up to the Jihad according to ComStar in Technical Readout: 3067.  And then someone kicked over the apple cart.  Given some of their other shenanigans, it's entirely possible the Word had been skimming some of the Stygians off from Brooks' production for years in a scheme akin to the one they perpetrated with the Po.  From October 3070 to 3075, though, the Word had the cooperation of Irian Technologies and control of the planet Irian, so you're going to find plenty of Stygians in Word colors during the Jihad.  The status of the factories currently is hard to glean.  We know Brooks is still there because they're still building Thumpers, including the new Thumper Angel.  The Word nuked several IrTech facilities as a going-away present when they pulled back in the middle of 3075 but Brooks wasn't mentioned.  I'd look at the MUL to see if there are any suggestions but availability on the Stygians hasn't been finalized yet.  Even if it was, former FWL or Word hardware turning up in the ranks of the Republic Armed Forces isn't exactly a reliable indicator of anything.  For now, it's a bit of a wait-and-see.

At 40 tons, Styigans are on the big side for a hover tank, only 10 tons below the maximum for standard combat units.  An outsized Magna 185 fusion plant drives the Stygian to a speed of 151 kph in clear terrain, faster than classic designs like the Maxim or Scarborough's 35 tonners, and gives you a basically unlimited range as long as you keep the crew topped up on energy bars and stale coffee.  The Maximillian 43 standard plate is a little less impressive at a mere 5.5 tons.  You're beating the Saladin even on the nose, at least, but enough damning with faint praise.  An 18/18/18/16 armor spread is sufficient for a little bit of fire and will protect you at least once from the usual threats a Stygian would encounter at its typical combat ranges but speed is life only gets you so far in this game sometimes.  Keep that in mind when you start getting shot at.  The rest of the tonnage goes for the Magna Longbow LRM 15 in the turret and a pair of Diverse Optics ERMLs fixed forward.  I'm not going pretend I like having my short-range guns fixed forward but at least you've got the speed to hopefully make it work if you're forced to use them.  The LRMs, on the other hand, get nothing but approval with their three ton ammo bin.  Totaled together, that's the one quarter of mass the TRO was talking about.  No CASE, unfortunately, but that's not really news where combat vehicles are concerned, now is it?  That ammo bin explains what you're supposed to be doing with the Stygian.  The FWL was a leader in introducing or redeveloping special LRM munitions, including such minor trifles as the semi-guided LRM and the magnetic pulse warhead (okay, that one really was kind of a dud), and given their relatively friendly relationship with the CCAF for a while, the League can probably be counted on to be introducing Thunder-Augmented LRMs pretty promptly. Stygians might not have huge throw weights individually but they have plenty of speed and they've got fire endurance.  If you can't figure out how to use that with those shiny new LRM ammo types, you're just not trying hard enough,

While the 2nd Legionnaires were generally satisfied with the tank that now bears their moniker, during testing they recommended a version with a smaller Magna 145, reducing the tank's speed but saving 3.5 tons.  (The engine's only 7.5 tons but remember that 20% minimum engine weight for hovers means you've got at least an 8 ton engine on a 40 tonner.)  2.5 tons were piled into more armor, winding up with a 38/26/17/21 armor spread.  While hovers are always supposed to try to have their front pointed at the enemy since it reduces motive hits, I'm not sure exactly why they felt the need to cut a point of armor on the rear and I really would have preferred a smidge more on the turret, too.  Quibbles aside, that's a significant upgrade.  Another ton expanded the ammunition bay.  Deemed the “Stygian Mudskipper”, this variant was born for fast battlefield delivery of special munitions, even under fire.  A 15 point minefield doesn't sound too intimidating until you have several hexes of it stacked up in your line of retreat.  It also enough fire endurance to be cut loose as a raider without frequent resupply.

The Word either refitted or had Brooks specially construct a variant just for them based on the original Stygian, one that really manages to alter the design's feel despite still having a couple of lasers and an LRM rack.  I'll start with the reduction in LRM throw weight to a 10 tube launcher to free up 2.5 tons, then cutting the ammo bin to a mere ton for half the original's endurance and far less flexibility.  Part of the tonnage went to swapping the lasers out for MPLs.  I'm a long way from being an MPL hater but where the ERMLs overlapped pretty well with the original, letting you skirmish, the MPLs turn this into a knife-fighter that uses the LRMs for sniping or support.  The remaining 2.5 tons were perfect for a C3i computer.  If the original Stygian's job was being a skirmishing missile boat, the WoB variant's role is as a fast, reasonably flexible member of a Level II that can act as a close-in spotter or fire LRMs in support of another unit.  Introduced around the same time as the Zephyr (LRM), I'm wondering why the Word really felt they needed another 9/14 hover tank with C3i, 10 LRM tubes, and a couple of lasers.

Operationally, the Stygian reminds me a lot of the Saracen.  The original isn't quite as tough but I suspect that the general resemblance to a tank that was a major hit with the FWLM could be one reason the Legionnaires were so enthusiastic.  It's a harasser and a flanker but you've also got the ammo capacity to be a real pain in someone's backside with Thunders while still packing in enough standard or semi-guided LRMs to have a useful combat endurance in a straight-up fight.  They also make a decent scout or, in groups, a scout hunter, able to pace or outrun a lot of light 'Mechs and packing in enough firepower to be a bit of a handful.  Unfortunately, Stygians don't handle tight quarters well, cutting the tank's mobility and making it more likely to expose a Mudskipper's flanks to fire.  Whatever you're doing, try to stick to open terrain and keep enemies from getting side shots you don't need to give them.  If you have to close, do it and then blow past the enemy and circle around out of arm's reach, using your turret to pelt them with LRMs while you do it.  The Word variant might want to opt for charging down someone's throat to use the MPLs to cut down light 'Mechs, though.

Killing Stygians isn't that hard.  The LB-X, especially the LB 10-X, remains one of the best options you've got, with the Silver Bullet Gauss another one.  Fortunately, the SB experience is rare - even now that they're more common, SB Gauss rifles aren't all that common.  Precision ammo, pulse lasers, an SNPPC, or anything else with a lot of reach to reduce range modifiers are all good standby options.  And bring ECM if you're facing the Word, or even just the FWLM - Narc may not be all that common compared to the Artemis this thing doesn't have but reducing the effect of any digital shoot me signs someone tapes to your armor is always helpful.

References: The Master Unit List has information for all three variants, although post-Jihad availability for anything but the Word variant is still to be determined as of the time this is being written.  All of the examples on CamoSpecs are from the Free Worlds League.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
    • Hexare Grenadiers Campaign Website
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Stygian Strike Tank
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2013, 12:12:05 »
I enjoy the concept of the Stygian, while never having deployed it myself.  A TAG heavy force, with Stygian's loaded with Semi-G would be pretty nasty, especially when you can whittle down light 'Mechs with ease after landing a TAG.  Speed and range are a good combo to have.  While restricted from participating in some engagements based on terrain, it can definitely excel in plains or water heavy combat zones.
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2013, 16:29:19 »
I have three Mudskippers scattered through one of the hovertank companies in my merc unit, and I love those little bastards. Their ability to carry a couple of tons of standard rounds plus two of specialty rounds, combined with their maneuverability, makes them invaluable as support units.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2013, 21:17:09 »
as combat vees go hovers have a fair bit of variety in style, and the Stygian's design is a blend of practical design and classic style.

the body is simple enough, slightly boxy and angular, but sleek enough for anything calling itself a tank, honestly. it's turret is a simple sloped casing for the missiles, which works well with the lines of the rest of the design and isn't too overwrought or tall for its mounting. most of the armor is sloped to cut down on penetration, with the drivers windshield both offering a fairly clear view and being very well protected and the frontal weapons mounts have a good field of fire. in a lto of ways it's a very classic tank design, with only one splash of style: fins.

fins on the rear engines. fins on the turret. fins on the front housing. fins on the porkpie hats- whoops, wrong script. the Stygian has enough fins to look like a stubby attempt at an heavy fighter jet. the singular flare of the fins give the tank a feeling of mixing both durability and speed at a glance that's hard to complain about.

overall, this fine-looking design is a good choice to add to any force without looking too out of place. and since it's main weapon is LRMs i'm sure anyone can find a use for it.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2013, 23:07:22 »
From the looks of it, I think I might actually prefer the missiles in the body and the lasers in the turret.
Would allow for a half ton more armor.
Or on the mudskipper, case.
It would certainly help the Word design, I'd say.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2013, 02:16:28 »
From the looks of it, I think I might actually prefer the missiles in the body and the lasers in the turret.
Would allow for a half ton more armor.
Or on the mudskipper, case.
It would certainly help the Word design, I'd say.

while i can see the utility of it, and i can picture the design easily enough (a smaller turret mounted further to the front with the driver's seat moved to one side to accommodate it, the missile racks in a sloped vertical bed mounting in the center of the body) the LRMs are the main gun here, and the turret mount ensures they can use the missile racks even when they can't end movement facing the enemy. the designers scarified self-preservation to improve the ability to contribute offensively and reduce the risk of driving close enough to need to use those lasers in the first place.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2013, 14:26:26 »
Still a big fan of the Harraser LRM variant. The Stygian does a reasonable job trying to replace it. I just don't see the need for the lasers at all. I'd rather they be dropped for more armor.

An LRM Hover shouldn't ever close closer than the out edge of medium range. Speed and harrassment. Not Archer worthy, bring them down, firepower.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2023, 22:41:35 »
 An important aspect for the Harasser II is that it really has no modern competitors. It is used as an upgraded light armor indirect fire platform which seems out of vogue when most other states employ Artemis. It is handy for also using Thunders. The Harasser II is in many ways an admission that speed as armor is possible for hovercraft only if they have just enough metal plating to take a stray Gauss hit or 2 in its era (Or if they have cover, which the LRM Harasser should be utilizing). Weapons like LB-X ACs have just enough range to make their task risky all the same.

The Harasser II did largely manage to keep key aspects of the Harasser, the first of which was trying to keep to that which was ubiquitous. Standard Armor helps, and SFEs are decently common for its age. The mass increase was deemed necessary for it to be sufficient. The source material states that it was clearly meant for militias (Not to be confused with static defense units) but found sufficiently fine for supporting line units.

Its most baffling choice was the pair of mediums, which I see more as a confession that a modern battlefield was deemed too chaotic for a simple LRM user. The next up was the speed reduction choice, with its more durable alternate going lower still but this decision is easily defended by the need to retain armor and firepower in an environment where things have an easier time taking shots of opportunity.

Honestly in both of its original forms it is a fair tank. Its competitors are TRO 3026ers that happen to be still used. When you contrast it with the next page Glaive in combat effectiveness, it stands out quite well despite the limitations of speed mode hover.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2023, 23:25:11 by Minemech »