Author Topic: Silent enim inter arma: Tribunals  (Read 29125 times)

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
Re: Silent enim inter arma: Tribunals
« Reply #270 on: 04 December 2020, 10:04:06 »
Long term plans can easily go the rails because of short term surprises.

Now I wonder...is Lear also brainwashed?

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #271 on: 04 December 2020, 12:46:35 »
Long term plans can easily go the rails because of short term surprises.

Now I wonder...is Lear also brainwashed?

Why are you even asking? It was if I'm not wrong even established in canon that he was brainwashed. After all he's a Wobbie POW "survivor" as well ...

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #272 on: 04 December 2020, 12:57:55 »
Why are you even asking? It was if I'm not wrong even established in canon that he was brainwashed. After all he's a Wobbie POW "survivor" as well ...
And one who wasn't likely to get himself killed fighting on the frontlines.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #273 on: 04 December 2020, 15:06:29 »
Prisoner visiting area...

"So.  the mountain has come down at last." Elizabeth lounged in the chair.  "Hello, Devlin.  it is Devlin, right?"

Her visitor took a deep breath and tapped the mic.  "This is on?" he asked.

"It's on." she said, and licked her lip.  "So, what brings the Được cho là vua cao chỉ định to visit my lonely cell?"

"Presumed heir to the high king? That's fascinating, You may be presuming too much." Stone said.

"Not really." she said, "you're the Miracle man, come from nowhere to throw down the evil empire."  she turned in her seat and planted her elbows, "Or that's the narrative, anyway.  It's got everything you need, drama, miraculous saves, a giant evil conspiracy and a world war, with a side of hero's journey and messianic trimmings, it's too bad we both know it's all fake, the only real thing in the whole mess is how many innocent people died to craft the story and erect your throne."

"base allegations, Commander? I thought better of you."

"I've got proof." she said.  "I doubt it bothers you as much as it scares the shit out of your handler, especially if I threaten to give that proof to the one man who can torpedo the whole fraud."

"who is that?" Stone asked.

"Why, it's you." she smiled, "You're the biggest sucker in the con, the most gullible rube they ever cooked up, 'Devlin'.  They didn't have to overlay an existing personality to create you, they fooled you from day one out of the tank. It's why you don't remember your past-you never got to have one."

"That's even crazier, Liz.  seriously, that is insane." he said.

"Go to brazil, there's a Comstar facility northwest of Rio about forty kilometers." she said, "If they haven't burned it down to keep you from seeing it, go there." she told him, "See for yourself.  One of my people's already been there, already got the files from the systems there, already seen your prototypes."

"Why haven't you gone public with this?"

"Because it's not my problem." she said coldly, "Who or what rules Earth is no concern of mine as long as my people are left alone. the Master Control is dead.  We've confirmed it, the lock on the Belts is broken, you can't put it back, your 'republic' will do exactly what you're selling it as-a buffer and a non-threat instead of the first among equals...everybody wins. except for the billions of innocent people who died because the leadership of Comstar wanted to bring back the Terran Hegemony and were organized enough to make it a multi-decade project-something I'm not inherently opposed to, except for the Corrolary to the ends justifying the means is that the means shape those ends, and the means they used were horrific and evil and it had to be stopped."

"What do you want, Liz?" he asked.

"I want to go home, I want to put the uniform away and never look at it again." she told him, "I want to sell widgets and hug my kids, I want my daughter to be a scholar and my son to be respected, my husband to come home from work and stay with me because there aren't any active wars that need him to fight."  she drew a finger along the ferroglas, "I want to be cross with Peter over tax policies, and argue with Adam about budgets for refueling docks and repair stations.  I want to have barbecues at my house, and I want to see new surveys of new star systems to send new colonists to, and maybe I want to look for aliens...what I do not want is for the hell we've endured for the last twenty years to repeat itself." she stopped her tracery, and fixed his eyes with hers, "Can you give that to me, Devlin Stone?"

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #274 on: 04 December 2020, 15:26:20 »
"Can you give that to me, Devlin Stone?"

At least she didn't ask to see his head on a pike so she can look up in his lifeless eyes and wave like this. ;)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #275 on: 04 December 2020, 16:17:47 »
Did she just use her fingers to draw a pattern on the ferroglass that was part of the conditioned images?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #276 on: 04 December 2020, 16:19:46 »
[out of story]

Aaannnd I think that ends it for this iteration.  There is a pile of what I'd call "missed material" and hanging, dangling plotlines, but the main conflict pretty much resolved out about two pages ago, and I'm done stalling for time with this.

Events were touched on, but not detailed out with this, because I (mostly) kept it focused to a small cast.

I didn't post the verdict, but that's suggestive and would be beating a dead horse at this point.

so, I didn't do the poll, because I couldn't make the hearing really fair like I wanted to.

sorry gentlemen and ladies.

There are things I left off that are really stories in their own right and probably deserve to be told by someone a little better at telling those sort of stories-like the investigation itself.  I'm just not that good. sorry there.

maybe someone better at doing the tense reveal/exploration of mystery type material can pick up the ball on that, I don't know.

there were a lot more deleted scenes with this one than is my normal habit, for every post you guys saw, there were five that I got to a point and said, "No way, this doesn't work right."

Did she just use her fingers to draw a pattern on the ferroglass that was part of the conditioned images?
hehehehehehehheheehehheheheheheeh
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #277 on: 04 December 2020, 17:23:12 »
As usual Cannonshop, well done. I've liked this story very much!  :thumbsup:

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #278 on: 04 December 2020, 20:15:53 »
It's a good ending point. Win or lose, Liz has established the idea that she will tolerate the ruling of the court, even if it means execution (because of her earlier stunt). 

She's also, once and for all, blown up, the idea that anyone is going to let the Republic of the Sphere return as Hegemony 2.0.  Too many eyes, too much concern about brained washed sleeper agents, and too much suspicion arising from all the, shall we say, unusual events.

So her job, more or less, is done.

Register