Author Topic: another road cry for help  (Read 3239 times)

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
another road cry for help
« on: 08 February 2012, 11:00:05 »
I use Heroscape for terrain and I would like to have an equally useful and modular road system.

Felt comes to mind, however cutting it in tiny enough pieces to have it in a hex by hex modularity may not exactly look great - ideally the solution would be as modular as Heroscape, but I am somewhat lost as for how to do it.

I was thing about putting water tiles to a new use, but that would be really costly in order to get enough hexes.

Propnut

• Corporal
Re: another road cry for help
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2012, 11:20:06 »
I use a set of hex shaped roads and rivers that allows me to make elevation changes, turns etc and still maintain the hex map look. They sit on the table and are 3 hexes, 6 hexs, 12 hexes, 24 hexes and 36 hexes. You can see them on one of the pictures of my DIY gaming table.

I realize that not many people have access to a CNC but the same thing can be done by hand, just takes a bit longer. You can use an easy to cut material such as artist cardboard found at large hobby/craft stores. It even comes in black.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2012, 12:03:13 »
I have not done any roads yet, but am considering using strip styrene.  You can cut them to any length and simply adhere a piece under it to fit between the hexes.  As long as the sides are close, you can create intersections anywhere you like.

I figure I can do some in black (asphalt) and even some in gravel.

I plan to post when I get around to it, but this project is in the distant future.  Please, if anyone has other ideas, share.  I have an idea but am open to any workable solution.

Happy hunting,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2012, 12:09:54 »
Thx for the ideas so far,

I have been thinking about the polystyrene strips, but I am not sure how to make them stay in place. If I use the system you use for your Terrain hexes, John, I will limit each piece of road to a specific angle - would be doable but expensive.

I also thought about using water tiles as road tiles - issue here is: I would need a lot and that might quickly deplete the water hexes I have available.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2012, 17:14:42 »
I use black foamie sheets (Link)

I spray paint a hex pattern onto them (Link), usually in white, then cut them out with a scissors.  Another option is to just cut them to a width matching your heroscape stuff.

Cheap, quick, looks pretty nice.

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2012, 17:49:02 »
Hm, I could make a cutting tool exactly the shape of a heroscape hex, that might work

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2012, 20:56:16 »
There are asphalt heroscape hexes in the Marvel Set.  The only problem is building it into the terrain can be a pain and setting it on top is a bit cheesy.  I think I may use the shadow hexes from the Underdark set.

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2012, 02:53:07 »
The problem with both is:

They are rather rare and hence expensive - been thinking about it. You only have very few asphalt hexes per starter and the situation with shadow pools from the D&D set is even worse. You can buy them on ebay, but the cost becomes rather prohibitive.

Register