Author Topic: SCL/1 vs clan ERLL (AeroSpace/BattleSpace) [answered]  (Read 327 times)

villagereaver

• Recruit
SCL/1 vs clan ERLL (AeroSpace/BattleSpace) [answered]
« on: 20 April 2024, 21:28:48 »
As I was designing an assault dropship, I assigned a bank of four LSCLs and four CERLLs. By my calculations, I lose two hexes of range and gain 584 tons and drop 48 heat generation. In addition, the ERLLs don't have a penalty to hit small craft.

Is this just a design oversight, or am I missing a feature of sub capital weapons?
« Last Edit: 21 April 2024, 13:45:37 by villagereaver »

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: SCL/1 vs clan ERLL (AeroSpace/BattleSpace)
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2024, 22:44:47 »
As I was designing an assault dropship, I assigned a bank of four LSCLs and four CERLLs. By my calculations, I lose two hexes of range and gain 584 tons and drop 48 heat generation. In addition, the ERLLs don't have a penalty to hit small craft.

Is this just a design oversight, or am I missing a feature of sub capital weapons?
It's a common observation.  Note that if you are playing the basic ASF rules, SCL/1 can fire into long-capital range.  And, if you are using individual weapon ranges, the extreme range bracket goes to 36 instead of 30.  Either range advantage could be particularly useful if Naval-C3 is involved.  The other useful additional capability that SCL/1 provides is orbital bombardment.

My personal opinion is that the capital to standard scale ratio is not well chosen for making sense.  At 100:1 many things start making more sense and working better.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2024, 23:29:10 »
Agreed with Lagrange, the 100 to 1 would make more sense but it would make almost all Aerospace fighters unable to hurt a ship with anything but nuclear weapons. Really what needs a major overhaul is the armor tonnage as its paper thin at the present tonnage but that's in the nebulous realm of fan rules.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2024, 08:08:57 »

Subcapital weapons use capital weapon ranges. Those with enough range (light lasers, light cannons, Piranha missiles) can perform orbital bombardment. Clan ER lasers are great for anti-fighter work but they can't bombard from orbit.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

villagereaver

• Recruit
Re: SCL/1 vs clan ERLL (AeroSpace/BattleSpace) [answered]
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2024, 13:54:13 »
Thank you gentlefolks.

It is design oversight and operating as intended and still not what I (we?) want.

I don't see my Balmung PWS/ADS performing orbital bombardment. I'll upgrade the Piranha bays to one of the larger "crit fishing vs aesp fighters" nautical themed missiles.

Register