Author Topic: Canon Warship List  (Read 246374 times)

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: Canon Warship List
« Reply #480 on: 20 February 2016, 08:12:14 »
I'm not seeing RATs for warships in FM: SLDF - but I could be overlooking something.  If there isn't one, making your own wouldn't be too difficult, though you'd still want to read into some of the fluff, one of the classes from the SLDF era occurs in the clans with greater numbers than those which left with them on the exodus, and a number of the warships have been so heavily redesigned that they've been designated with a new class name.  One is more likely to find SLDF versions and more of those ships which the Clans don't find useful.  Here's a list of the warships that exist when combining Jaguar ships to those listed in FM: Updates:

33   Lola III
32   Aegis
32   Carrack
28   Potemkin
19   Vincent Mk. 42
13   Fredasa*
13   Sovetskii Soyuz
13   York+
12   Congress
12   Essex
11   Cameron
10   Black Lion
10   Volga
8   Nightlord*
6   McKenna
6   Whirlwind
5   Liberator+
5   Texas
2   Conqueror+
2   Leviathan*

* = entirely new designs
+ = new classes based on old classes

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #481 on: 20 February 2016, 18:44:19 »
Wars of Reaving adds a few other ships from caches, IIRC - both amongst those activated by the Society and pulled out of caches by the Clans either during the war or afterwards. One clan (Cloud Cobras?) dug out a pair of Sovetskii Soyuz; the Diamond Sharks went back and retrieved an Essex. The Society managed to activate or were in the process of activating a trio of Makos, a Davion and (I think) two Barons.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #482 on: 10 March 2016, 22:24:25 »
I reckon Samarkand class is also mentioned.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #483 on: 11 March 2016, 15:42:14 »
I reckon Samarkand class is also mentioned.
The Diamond Sharks dug a Samarkand out of a cache during the Wars of Reaving - the Deal Breaker - but lost it when the Coyotes attacked Vinton.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #484 on: 27 September 2016, 16:37:41 »
Question: Has someone gone through the 1st Succession War book and compiled all the warships in that document yet?  I thought I heard that there was a full list somewhere, but I certainly don't seem to be able to find one in my copy.
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #485 on: 27 September 2016, 18:46:42 »
Vinton, you need at a 4 Leviathan (WarShips).  The transport one, the Heavy Battleship one, Steel Viper version and the Leviathan II version.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #486 on: 28 September 2016, 01:07:35 »
Question: Has someone gone through the 1st Succession War book and compiled all the warships in that document yet?  I thought I heard that there was a full list somewhere, but I certainly don't seem to be able to find one in my copy.
I did a run through looking for names when I first read it, and added it to my to-do list on Sarna: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/User_talk:BrokenMnemonic#Ships_to_Write_Up - I don't know if that helps? I need to do a second run-through to see if I missed any, but as the book's still under moratorium I haven't done that yet.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #487 on: 28 September 2016, 03:42:25 »
Vinton, you need at a 4 Leviathan (WarShips).  The transport one, the Heavy Battleship one, Steel Viper version and the Leviathan II version.
To be hair-splittingly precise, you've got

1. the original specs (no such ship ever built)

2.  the transporters (two unfinished hulks from original specs changed into this during construction)

3. the battleships, often referred to as "Leviathan II" (different from original specs; the two transports were re-upgraded into this, and a third was built)

4. the Leviathan Prime (the Steel Viper ship, based on the original specs but with more modern tech; no stats known)

5. the Leviathan III (rumored to be under construction in the Dark Age)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #488 on: 28 September 2016, 11:58:03 »

The list I made isn't intended as a comprehensive list throughout all eras, it was focused on what is likely in existence in the 3060s.  The CSJ ships are only included because they existed at the beginning of the time period.  I technically could have included 1 Leviathan II as the Rasalhague did exist in 3068, but I chose to cut things off prior to the Jihad era. 

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #489 on: 30 September 2016, 09:31:41 »
I did a run through looking for names when I first read it, and added it to my to-do list on Sarna: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/User_talk:BrokenMnemonic#Ships_to_Write_Up - I don't know if that helps? I need to do a second run-through to see if I missed any, but as the book's still under moratorium I haven't done that yet.

Works for me in the meantime!  Thanks
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #490 on: 26 October 2016, 20:56:06 »
So I just went back a few pages from the latest but is there a most current version of this?  Last one I had is a few years old.

Thanks

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #491 on: 27 October 2016, 05:39:48 »
I'm not seeing RATs for warships in FM: SLDF - but I could be overlooking something.  If there isn't one, making your own wouldn't be too difficult, though you'd still want to read into some of the fluff, one of the classes from the SLDF era occurs in the clans with greater numbers than those which left with them on the exodus, and a number of the warships have been so heavily redesigned that they've been designated with a new class name.  One is more likely to find SLDF versions and more of those ships which the Clans don't find useful.  Here's a list of the warships that exist when combining Jaguar ships to those listed in FM: Updates:

33   Lola III
32   Aegis
32   Carrack
28   Potemkin
19   Vincent Mk. 42
13   Fredasa*
13   Sovetskii Soyuz
13   York+
12   Congress
12   Essex
11   Cameron
10   Black Lion
10   Volga
8   Nightlord*
6   McKenna
6   Whirlwind
5   Liberator+
5   Texas
2   Conqueror+
2   Leviathan*

* = entirely new designs
+ = new classes based on old classes

Thats a neat list. Im sure there are some other hulls floating around in various state of disarray.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #492 on: 29 October 2016, 09:46:33 »
Thats a neat list. Im sure there are some other hulls floating around in various state of disarray.

Thanks, and as of Wars of Reaving, we now know that there were some warships in the various naval caches during the time period the list was made for.  I still suspect that the total number in naval caches during this time period was around 50; 100 would probably be pushing beyond what I would consider likely, but not entirely wishful thinking - though many of these would likely be smaller or less effective/prestigious classes.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #493 on: 29 October 2016, 11:49:33 »
Thanks, and as of Wars of Reaving, we now know that there were some warships in the various naval caches...

...many of these would likely be smaller or less effective/prestigious classes.

Not necessarily: some of the ships may be 'drydock damsels' that require either too much maintenance or manpower (relatively speaking), either through design or age when mothballed.

Such ships may be relatively large, extremely effective (in combat), and prestigious... but impractical for active use.

Other possibilities are ships that are simply too hard to bring out of mothballs; for example, ships that suffered extensive combat damage during the final days of the Star League, during the Pentagon Civil War/Operation: Klondike, or during clan trials.

Another possibility is that the ship was damaged during or after mothballing; being stripped of key components to keep other ships active, or suffering post-mothball collisions with asteroids/comets/other ships. These ships might even include mighty McKenna, Texas, or Black Lion classes, that would need not just a lot of work, but skilled crews... in a MOS that is pretty much ignored by most clans, and the few clans that do pay attention to the capital aero field already have the ships they want/need.

Granted, these would be a minimal part of the caches, but might still be counted.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #494 on: 29 October 2016, 15:20:59 »

The WoR did cause the naval caches to be emptied out, however many of the ships ended up as unnamed outbound wrecks or debris fields.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #495 on: 29 October 2016, 17:17:20 »
The WoR did cause the naval caches to be emptied out, however many of the ships ended up as unnamed outbound wrecks or debris fields.
I do wonder about that; as I read it, it was not entirely clear is all the cached had been emptied, or only those of the mentioned clans.

The other issue is jumpships; might there still be caches of standard-core jumpships? or even large space-only dropships along the lines of Behemoths?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 29 October 2016, 17:51:52 »
I do wonder about that; as I read it, it was not entirely clear is all the cached had been emptied, or only those of the mentioned clans.
I think that they stopped caring at that point.

The other issue is jumpships; might there still be caches of standard-core jumpships? or even large space-only dropships along the lines of Behemoths?
I think that those wouldn't have been cached, many of those would be needed just to keep the Clan economy going.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #497 on: 30 October 2016, 08:25:05 »
It was implied that they were all cleared but vague enough to not be all in the event the writers need something later. Kudos to Ben for doing that so adeptly.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #498 on: 30 October 2016, 12:55:02 »
I want to be on the record as saying, WHY do we need to know about new-tech in older-tech machines?

What I mean is why do most people assume that the clans just used Broadsword - Leopard, Union-C, Overlord-C and such...

What happen to older designs such as Jumbo, Drost IIA, Lion and Confederate class dropships?

While the clans did use the Titan / Titan-C, they offered the Carrier and Miraborg as well.

Also can we get some stats for this: Scout-class dropship.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Scout_(DropShip_class)

I understand the concept of optimizing a design and adherent to waste, but if you had an older design... would you scrap it and recover maybe half back in resources or upkeep?

Just saying...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #499 on: 30 October 2016, 18:34:53 »
Well the Miraborg is kind of new to the Clans being introduced just after the Truce of Tukayyid.

I could see second line forces using older transports in much the same way that they get the short end of the stick on equipment (Omni stuff, Battlearmor, etc.) but some may not even have integral transport. By their very nature most are static garrison forces who don't leave planet and before the invasion there is even less of a reason to give these lesser troops any kind of ride.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #500 on: 08 November 2016, 20:18:58 »
Does anyone have the latest warship list I have an old one but I can't find it anymore.  Please help.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #501 on: 10 November 2016, 08:27:40 »
Second-line status, yes but for front-liners? When did the switch come about? Because FASA said so, or is there a better meaning? I can see swapping older models to lower echelons and such, but why give up something? If the weapons suck, upgrade them. AC/5 -> UAC/5, LL -> ERLL, MG (PD) -> AMS.

Big clans like Falcon, Bear and Wolf should use the resources to expand while Nova Cat, Mandrill and Hellion should have less newer designs because of resources. Now all should have a few examples, but the majority should not drop all a sudden to a new design when tons of older ones are better. Cargo wise or other. Also while secondline might be good at something, who defends when you when they aren't there?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #502 on: 24 December 2016, 08:09:11 »
It was implied that they were all cleared but vague enough to not be all in the event the writers need something later. Kudos to Ben for doing that so adeptly.
When the Sharks did their last visit on the Homeworlds in 3075 they reactivated an Essex-class destroyer from their naval cache in Babylon system. Other ships of this cache could not be reactivated due they did not have the time to do.

We were told that the Adders do not have any naval cache left. But we do not know what about the other Clans.

Furthermore we do not know if the Homeclans are capable to repair a number of disabled warships. I do not believe that all ships disabled in the WoR have been total losses.

Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #503 on: 24 December 2016, 11:47:23 »
. I do not believe that all ships disabled in the WoR have been total losses.
Indeed, however some of them ended up in outbound trajectories, so they will be hard to find again.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #504 on: 24 December 2016, 14:37:09 »
Indeed, however some of them ended up in outbound trajectories, so they will be hard to find again.

Particulary for what passes for salvage ships in the Battletech Universe. Jumpships really lack the engines to chase after a hulk, long haul for dropships to catch up, and sending a warship on salvage missions is easily overkill!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #505 on: 25 December 2016, 10:09:20 »
Particulary for what passes for salvage ships in the Battletech Universe. Jumpships really lack the engines to chase after a hulk, long haul for dropships to catch up, and sending a warship on salvage missions is easily overkill!

I am not so sure; a station-keeping drive can push out 0.2 thrust, while the wreck is just coasting, with enough fuel and a good bearing, a jumpship can easily catch up with a coasting warship.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #506 on: 25 December 2016, 18:13:42 »
I am not so sure; a station-keeping drive can push out 0.2 thrust, while the wreck is just coasting, with enough fuel and a good bearing, a jumpship can easily catch up with a coasting warship.

It counts on how the ship was destroyed. If it had been under thrust or had a big explosion the wreck will be moving at a certain speed. A speed a jumpship won't be able to follow. A dropship would but it would take time. Another issue would be timeframe. If salvage operations were immediate it shouldn't be a issue but if several months or even years go by the wreck will have drifted well out of any recovery.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #507 on: 25 December 2016, 20:54:10 »
It counts on how the ship was destroyed. If it had been under thrust or had a big explosion the wreck will be moving at a certain speed. A speed a jumpship won't be able to follow. A dropship would but it would take time. Another issue would be timeframe. If salvage operations were immediate it shouldn't be a issue but if several months or even years go by the wreck will have drifted well out of any recovery.

The current velocity of Voyager 1 is 62,140 km/h, or 1,036 km/min, which translates to an Aerospace velocity of 57 space hexes per turn.

57 hexes/turn would be generally much more velocity than a warship would be expected to have even during combat maneuvers (I am not talking about fast passes; that is a different beast that even a full-on warship would have difficulty catching).

You underestimate the power of a station-keeping drive; that 0.2 thrust will move a ship that it at a relative standstill to a velocity of 1 hex per turn after five minutes of burn; that is 18 km/min, or 1,080 km/hr... without burning additional fuel.

By keeping the afterburners on, it will take a jumpship (or a space station) little under five hours of burn to reach a velocity of 57 hexes/turn. Ten hours yields double that, and 24 hours five times that velocity, which will make short work of even months of drift from the target warship.

A dropship capable of at least a 1/2 thrust rating would theoretically be able to go after Voyager 1, catch up to it, and bring it back, even after a thousand years of travel... in a few weeks.

The key is having an accurate trajectory, and I mean dead-accurate; once you know this trajectory, you can calculate how far the target has drifted, taking into account the gravity of any major objects in the system. 

Heck, considering that a trust of 2 is the equivalent of 1g, you could build a dropship with a 2/3 engine, two years of fuel stores, and 6 1/2 years of supplies... and you can get to Proxima Centauri without jumping in about, well, 6 1/2 years.

How? Accelerate at 1g for a year, which will get to close to 99% of the speed of light, switch off the engine, coast for the 4.243 light-years of distance, then end-over, and decelerate for a year at 1g.

Distance is not an obstacle; the only real issue is trajectory.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #508 on: 28 December 2016, 18:59:26 »
The current velocity of Voyager 1 is 62,140 km/h, or 1,036 km/min, which translates to an Aerospace velocity of 57 space hexes per turn.

57 hexes/turn would be generally much more velocity than a warship would be expected to have even during combat maneuvers (I am not talking about fast passes; that is a different beast that even a full-on warship would have difficulty catching).

You underestimate the power of a station-keeping drive; that 0.2 thrust will move a ship that it at a relative standstill to a velocity of 1 hex per turn after five minutes of burn; that is 18 km/min, or 1,080 km/hr... without burning additional fuel.

By keeping the afterburners on, it will take a jumpship (or a space station) little under five hours of burn to reach a velocity of 57 hexes/turn. Ten hours yields double that, and 24 hours five times that velocity, which will make short work of even months of drift from the target warship.

A dropship capable of at least a 1/2 thrust rating would theoretically be able to go after Voyager 1, catch up to it, and bring it back, even after a thousand years of travel... in a few weeks.

The key is having an accurate trajectory, and I mean dead-accurate; once you know this trajectory, you can calculate how far the target has drifted, taking into account the gravity of any major objects in the system. 

Heck, considering that a trust of 2 is the equivalent of 1g, you could build a dropship with a 2/3 engine, two years of fuel stores, and 6 1/2 years of supplies... and you can get to Proxima Centauri without jumping in about, well, 6 1/2 years.

How? Accelerate at 1g for a year, which will get to close to 99% of the speed of light, switch off the engine, coast for the 4.243 light-years of distance, then end-over, and decelerate for a year at 1g.

Distance is not an obstacle; the only real issue is trajectory.

Wow, you really thought this out! For me its the cost of going after a giant moving wreck that is the issue. For one your not going to be slowing it down fast and you will then have to enter stationkeeping with the giant moving object that was once a warship. And then move gear, supplies, and personnel across while you try to repair said moving wreck. All very unpleasant things. Wrecks in relatively stable orbit or that were wrecked while not moving are generally the ones that get salvaged.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #509 on: 28 December 2016, 21:10:43 »
Wow, you really thought this out! For me its the cost of going after a giant moving wreck that is the issue. For one your not going to be slowing it down fast and you will then have to enter stationkeeping with the giant moving object that was once a warship. And then move gear, supplies, and personnel across while you try to repair said moving wreck. All very unpleasant things. Wrecks in relatively stable orbit or that were wrecked while not moving are generally the ones that get salvaged.

Slowing down the hulk is not an issue; you reach it with a prize/salvage crew to determine if it is salvageable at all. You continue with it at its current velocity and heading, no need for station-keeping.

If it is not salvageable, the prize crew will recover any intelligence-worthy material (if an enemy ship) or ensure its removal/destruction (if it is their own); they will also remove any useful material, refuel their own salvage ship, maybe even restock their larder. After this, they will either scuttle the ship (i.e. blow it up GOOD!), or they will make careful notation of its trajectory for later recovery.

If it IS salvageable, the salvage crew must determine if it can be brought under control using resources at hand or if it needs additional resources; if it can be brought under control, it will be, then it will be either directed to a resource or a resource will be directed to it. If it cannot be brought under control, they can leave a prize crew to continue repairs until relieved by a better equipped ship OR it can be left to drift (maybe with minor course corrections induced by nudging it with the salvage ship, in order to alter its vector so that others may not find it by following the last known trajectory) until the needed resources are made available.

Why do it? Depends on how badly you need that asset and how easily you can replace it.