Author Topic: Oddity Concept: Chemical Re-Engineered Lasers  (Read 506 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Oddity Concept: Chemical Re-Engineered Lasers
« on: 11 November 2023, 06:38:19 »
This is a odd yet possibly funny concept. Inner Sphere Chemical RE-Engineered Lasers, these combine both the benefits and drawbacks of chemical and Re-Engineered lasers. Being identical in stats other than lower heat and not requiring power amplifiers like both of it's parent technologies. but some drawbacks woud be for example the large chemical re-engineered laser weighing 9 tons with ammo.

Stats for these are identical to re-engineered lasers other than what is noted down here:

Chemical RE-Engineered lasers:

Small:
Ammo per ton: 60
Heat: 2

Medium:
Ammo per ton: 30
Heat: 4

Large:
Ammo per ton: 10
Heat: 6

Power Amplifiers: No
Ammo Explodes: Unknown

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Oddity Concept: Chemical Re-Engineered Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2023, 11:54:42 »
Standard chemlasers are clantech... Those lasers would make most other weapons completely obsolete when it comes to vehicles.

If you want them to be balanced against other IS weapons they need  to be a LOT heavier. Like +50% at least! If you still want them effective on mechs reduce the heat to match.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2023, 12:16:54 »
Making them heavier goes against the whole Clan-tech thing, I'd just reduce the ammo per ton.

And if anything I wonder if Chemical ReLs are fully even possible, seems like Heavy Chem Lasers would be more feasible. All you'd have to do is halve the ammo count and making said ammo more explosive than standard Chem Laser ammo, while also making the emitters explosive as well. Perfect for Solahma troops!

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2023, 13:07:03 »
If we keep them IS what about this?

Small:
heat 2
3 tons
30 shots per ton
explosive ammo

Medium:
heat 4
5 tons
15 shots per ton
explosive ammo

Large:
heat 6
12 tons
5 shots per ton
Explosive ammo

these revised Chem ReL's were made taking feedback into consideration. Range and damage same as normal ReL's and retain their ignoring of certain special armour types.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2023, 16:41:42 »
Standard chemlasers are clantech...

Not entirely true.  They are actually pre-Age of War tech.  It's just that only the Horses (a Clan) actually thought to reintroduce them in to modern warfare.  So that lines up a little with "being only Clantech".  *shrug*

Making them heavier goes against the whole Clan-tech thing, I'd just reduce the ammo per ton.

It also goes against the whole Chemical Laser concept where they don't change the weight of the weapon itself.

Honestly, I'd see it being developed by the NAIS.  The question is who would get it out of there, Kurita or Davion.

Still, I think we'd need to see Chemical Pulse Lasers first before they bring in the ChemReLas.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2023, 16:45:50 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2023, 12:06:05 »
Charistoph brought up some valid points I was considering on making some chemical Pulse and X-pulse lasers as well Chemical ER and chem Heavy lasers before these come about.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2023, 13:59:18 »
Is there anything that indicates pre-clantech chemlasers were anywhere as effective? Because if they were, why the heck are people using mechs?

A current MCL is roughly equivalent to a clantech SRM4 on a vehicle. Tanks would outgun mechs so much it wouldn't be funny!

So using clantech it might be sort of reasonable to make chemical RE-lasers, VSPLs, or (standard) pulse lasers. IS tech, no way.