Author Topic: AU: Magshot  (Read 930 times)

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
AU: Magshot
« on: 05 December 2023, 17:35:19 »
In my AU campaign I plan to make it a precursor to the Gauss Rifle using Helm Core data.

Question for the group: Has anyone updated the Magshot in their own campaign to make it a tad more interesting?

My gut reaction is to increase the range bands.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: AU: Magshot
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2023, 17:42:59 »
I mean how interesting do you need it to be. It's range and damage is actually really good for its size and weight.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2023, 17:46:58 »
I mean how interesting do you need it to be. It's range and damage is actually really good for its size and weight.

I don't really want to debate the Magshot, it's been done ad nauseam in other threads. Our group thinks it's really low on the list of choices so we want to make it a little better.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2023, 17:50:31 »
Double it's damage, half it's ammo. Then it's pretty potent

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2023, 18:12:41 »
It's hard to judge what you're hoping for, so my first instinct would be to go with your gut and bump up the range.

Personally, I feel like the biggest weakness of the magshot is that it explodes, and because people tend to put it in batteries with other magshots, can just outright kill the pilot through sympathetic detonations. So maybe get rid of that trait?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2023, 18:23:06 »
It's hard to judge what you're hoping for, so my first instinct would be to go with your gut and bump up the range.

Personally, I feel like the biggest weakness of the magshot is that it explodes, and because people tend to put it in batteries with other magshots, can just outright kill the pilot through sympathetic detonations. So maybe get rid of that trait?

We struggle with the two crit spaces per Magshot. And almost always that you're just better off with an SRM2 that can also use special munitions. Or for that matter just another Medium Laser.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2023, 18:24:54 »
Have you considered battle armor Magshots using the rules in "Ghosts of Obeedah?"

That would drop them to one critical slot and a quarter ton.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2023, 18:29:43 »
Have you considered battle armor Magshots using the rules in "Ghosts of Obeedah?"

That would drop them to one critical slot and a quarter ton.

I have not seen those yet! Downloading it now.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2023, 09:35:12 »
I may just reduce the critical space to one, which is probably what it should have been.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2023, 17:24:26 »

Yep, having popcorn inside your Mech makes them pretty much junk. 2-hits from feedback to your Mechwarrior makes them not worth it.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2023, 22:16:50 »
Ive always been cool with ammo explosions being bad things for the health of a mechwarrior, but all the little magshot nonsense explosions really hurt my suspension of disbelief.  There isnt electrodes in your brain, so the feedback being electrical to me was always nonsense.  The only feedback you should feel is the massive pressure wave of a giant explosion knocking you around in your pressurized hull as the ammo explosion violently changes the shape of everything around you.  BUT... a little dinky 2 point gauss magnet quench having the same visceral impact of a big autocannon belt that knocks tank turrets into the air doesn't sit well with me.  I think it would be fine to have an improved magshot that didnt explode at all.  Like... battle armor that get killed dont explode when carrying ap gauss or mag shots.  I dont think any lore has ever described an elemental's arm getting blown off when the BA gauss got crit.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2023, 09:22:16 »
Ive always been cool with ammo explosions being bad things for the health of a mechwarrior, but all the little magshot nonsense explosions really hurt my suspension of disbelief.  There isnt electrodes in your brain, so the feedback being electrical to me was always nonsense.  The only feedback you should feel is the massive pressure wave of a giant explosion knocking you around in your pressurized hull as the ammo explosion violently changes the shape of everything around you.  BUT... a little dinky 2 point gauss magnet quench having the same visceral impact of a big autocannon belt that knocks tank turrets into the air doesn't sit well with me.  I think it would be fine to have an improved magshot that didnt explode at all.  Like... battle armor that get killed dont explode when carrying ap gauss or mag shots.  I dont think any lore has ever described an elemental's arm getting blown off when the BA gauss got crit.

It really makes no sense to be honest. Why even publish something for the game that is nigh unusable? The only conclusion is they did not want them used in bulk. They take up two critical spaces and explode - seems intentional.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2023, 01:44:08 »
The only conclusion is they did not want them used in bulk.
Upsettingly, the first thing they did is mount like 10 minigauss on things.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2023, 08:58:12 »
No military would ever mount some tiny interation of a weapon that could kill a pilot from explosion feedback.

Not a great balancing tool for the Magshot or even the AP Gauss.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2023, 17:59:54 »
No military would ever mount some tiny interation of a weapon that could kill a pilot from explosion feedback.

Not a great balancing tool for the Magshot or even the AP Gauss.
At least you have to be shot at for a Magshot to kill yourself.  HVACs don't even need that...

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #15 on: 12 December 2023, 21:35:50 »
At least you have to be shot at for a Magshot to kill yourself.  HVACs don't even need that...

They are all abitrary balancing tools too. Why not just let ballistics be good?

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 12 December 2023, 22:24:41 »
I agree wholeheartedly.

Register