Author Topic: Fuel Costs  (Read 2087 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Fuel Costs
« on: 27 March 2019, 00:10:52 »
So I was playing around with the merc creation rules in CO and created a small merc unit, and was "lucky" enough to come away with a Union DropShip and a Merchant JumpShip.

I got around to calculating the monthly expenses and was kind of surprised.

1.6 million per month.

1.3 of that is fuel costs. And that's peacetime fuel costs, and so limited use of the JumpShip and DropShip.

Or 0 c-bills, if I can find a body of water.

Am I doing this right? It seems quite...extreme.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Fuel Costs
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2019, 16:05:38 »
You're doing it correctly. Hydrogen was set at a high price in earlier works, like Strategic Operations, but also allowed free hydrogen if you went to a lake and cracked it yourself. Campaign Operations reflected that.

If you prefer, consider that liquid hydrogen is a pain in the butt to store, keep, and ship, and has a high boil-off rate. People charge a lot for it compared to other fuels.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2019, 01:34:40 »
Yeah, I figured I was doing it right. Just came across as sort of surprising, especially considering the scale. While CO makes it relatively easy to acquire transportation, depending on how the GM calls it, you may want to think twice about taking them.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2019, 20:33:26 »
If you prefer, consider that liquid hydrogen is a pain in the butt to store, keep, and ship, and has a high boil-off rate. People charge a lot for it compared to other fuels.

Well, it is for us.  We're talking 1000 years in the future where interplanetary flight is about the same as taking a plane flight now.  1000 years ago, such a thing was inconceivable. They couldn't even store meat outside of a living body back then and powered flight was for birds, wizards, and demons.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2019, 21:29:17 »
Well, it is for us.  We're talking 1000 years in the future where interplanetary flight is about the same as taking a plane flight now.  1000 years ago, such a thing was inconceivable. They couldn't even store meat outside of a living body back then and powered flight was for birds, wizards, and demons.

Difference: we know the laws of physics. People in the middle ages didn't. Hydrogen atoms aren't going to change their annoying properties because you ask nicely.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2019, 23:27:33 »
Difference: we know the laws of physics. People in the middle ages didn't. Hydrogen atoms aren't going to change their annoying properties because you ask nicely.

Correction: We know SOME of the laws of physics.  We're still having difficulty with things like efficient fusion, to say nothing of hyperspace mechanics.  We still haven't been able to reliably commute from Earth to the Moon, to say nothing to Mars and Jupiter.

The technologies in such efforts will make storage and transportation of necessary hydrogen more efficient.  100 years ago, one couldn't fly across any of the oceans, while we can do it today in hours (if one is willing to pay the expense).

It is hubris to think that all we know now is all that can be known.  Such a declaration was made a little over 100 years ago, which has since seen the internal combustion engine, rocketry, nuclear fission, and the integrated circuit come in to development.  The changes to the world of those technologies is absolutely staggering and has allowed the world's population to easily triple and more since then.  If we don't lock ourselves in hubris or religious fanaticism, how far will we go in the next 100 years?  The systems used in the Battletech setting were matured over 6 times that.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2019, 02:30:27 »
My idea is that this will not be a major issue since humankind d will have extinguished itself before that

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2019, 04:40:28 »
Hydrogen is FREE if you have a fusion reactor and access to water.  The 15,000 per ton is only for the poor saps that have to get someone else to do it for them, and bring it to them.  I suspect the mark up isn't far north of what people pay right now for bottled water.