Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 159303 times)

Archangel

• Major
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #240 on: 10 November 2014, 19:23:12 »
There is no reason he should have been mentioned.  Per Invading Clans, he was a Major in the 832nd Amaris Dragoons at the time of the Amaris Coup.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #241 on: 11 November 2014, 07:48:53 »
...Yes, and?  ::) He's an important bit of Nova Cat history, and this is a Nova Cat thread. Is it REALLY that surprising that some of might hope he gets some sort of mention in the FM that details his nation of birth? Previous FM's have mentioned noteworthy officers and their actions before. I was hoping he might have gotten a line or so, although I wasn't really expecting it, either.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #242 on: 05 December 2014, 02:01:28 »
So, again, we're approaching our one-month-with-no-posts anniversary, and I'm officially breaking the trend. Yay...

Anyway, with the new Widowmaker thingy coming out, do you expect any Nova Cat tidbits to show up? Okay, it's a stretch, but you try coming up with a topic involving the Nova Cats on the fly.  :P
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #243 on: 05 December 2014, 04:24:51 »
I kinda doubt it; I think HB:HK is a better bet. I'm hoping it has a least a small section on Nova Cat culture and their integration into the Combine (or failure to do so, as the case may be).

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #244 on: 05 December 2014, 08:37:53 »
We might a couple mentions in the Widowmakers book, but I suspect it'll be limited to how we voted on the absorption. I'll be surprised if it's more then a paragraph or so.

Been rereading a few things (Operation Klondike) and I'm wondering if we'll ever get a product involving Clan Mongoose's 'absorption'. Kinda wondering if the friendly rivalry between Clan Mongoose and Clan Nova Cat lasted beyond Klondike, and if so for how long.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #245 on: 05 December 2014, 08:41:08 »
ED: Golden Century had a narrative of the Mongoose absorption. I think the only mention of the Nova Cats was about them "crowing" over the development of the Clan-spec ER large laser.

Nekoryu

• Master Sergeant
  • All Good Things Come In Cans; Even People!
    • The Plano Mechwarrior and Battletech Guild
« Reply #246 on: 05 December 2014, 12:05:53 »
I've actually been thinking on the character development for my Nova Cats...I've got a pair of sibmates I'm looking to flesh out, along with a Supernova's worth of troops who got themselves stuck with our honky Merc unit. But details and idiosyncrasies of the Clan seem to elude me. I know about vineers and visions and, uhh the use of 'catnip' if you catch my drift. And I know we're a Warden Clan...but that's about it. Really the only Clans I've got a good feel for are the ones in the novels that I've read...the Wolves, Bears and Falcons...I read Path of Honor, but for some reason didn't glean much besides a review of the basics. :/

And the knowledge that Santin West is very short for an Elemental...and that the new Star League uniforms sound completely ridiculous.

Any input or suggestions on which books to read through would be a huge help.

So, now the Thor has TWO really angry nipple piercings. - Zerokei
He fell over, is on fire and now he's been karate-kicked in the face. Is the dancing on his chest really neccessary? - GM

The Plano MechWarrior and BattleTech Guild: Join Us On Facebook!

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #247 on: 05 December 2014, 12:47:24 »
First off, I must defend the Cat's honor in that only those trippy, Indiana Jones-type Goliath Scorpions actual use any mind altering substances while seeking visions. Nova Cat vision quests often involve more of a deprivation and meditation (plus zoning out while looking into a fire) style. The catnip jokes are there because catnip jokes are fun and necessary.

Invading Clans and Field Manual: ComStar are both good sources for Nova Cat info for both pre and post Adjurement. I think both are available as PDFs . ER 3052 and 3062 also give some nice summaries.

Pre everything going very badly, the Cats were basically second best in a several categories: marksmanship, naval prowess (in both size and capability), powerful merchant caste to name some. In fact there were comparatively liberal toward lower castes as a whole. It was almost a "as long as you can justify how it's for the betterment of the Clan (and the warriors) bully for you" attitude. Mind you that didn't prevent Khan West from aggressively demoting the initial head of the Thunderbird development. They are still Clan after all. Lower castes were even permitted to participate in aspects of Nova Cat mysticism/The Way in time.

On the battlefield Cats were known for their adaptability, though some units had preferences toward certain unit types and tactics as with most Clans. The stereotypical love of energy weapons is actually an example of this. One of the big lessons of Tukayyid - besides hot-drops are awesome till they're not - is the issues of ammo-dependent weapons during prolonged engagements.

Just a few quick thoughts during lunch. I'm sure other folks will have plenty more to add.  ;)

And the knowledge that Santin West is very short for an Elemental...
Nope, his trademark cigar is just that big.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2014, 12:51:49 by Pa Weasley »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #248 on: 06 December 2014, 03:54:28 »
Keeping in mind that some of what follows is my interpretation of 15+ years of stuff percolating in my head...

Dreams mean things. Your instinct is important. Follow your gut and hunches, it's your mind finding patterns. It wont always work, but that just means you weren't properly paying attention to things. 

When in doubt, use an ERLL. We invented the things after all. If you can tie it to a mobile platform and play range tricks, that's even better. When choosing a ride, pick one that's adaptable to a fluid situation, or that tends to focus on long range combat.

"If it works, use it." We're pretty adaptable, and have a tendency to use stuff that works, no matter the origin. We've even used Smoke Jaguar tactics against the Smoke Jaguars. Which is probably hilarious for any Nova Cat watching the fight.

Study your opponent as much as possible. Patience is not a four letter word. Know your battlefield as much as possible before engaging.

HATE the Smoke Jaguars. Hate them as only a Clan Player can hate someone. Feuds are marvelous things.

We are an economic Clan. People tend to forget that as the Diamond Sharks/Sea Fox embraced it, but it's how we got powerful. Trust the Merchants to do their job. The other castes may need a bit more guidance.

Aerospace rocks. Don't bid away your fighters unless you have to. Don't be afraid to use your dropships for fire support, either. If you lose it, that'll suck, but not as badly as losing the battle.

Age brings wisdom, something the other Clans have forgotten. Then again, age also brings senility and slower reflexes, so don't let up on the old fogeys either. You cant advance unless you clear out the chaff.

If you have to go down, make sure they feel it. Your totem animal is a venomous cross between a porcupine and cat. If anything does eat you, you want to stick in their throat, poison their bloodstream, and claw claw claw all the way down.

Nekoryu

• Master Sergeant
  • All Good Things Come In Cans; Even People!
    • The Plano Mechwarrior and Battletech Guild
« Reply #249 on: 06 December 2014, 12:58:13 »
Keeping in mind that some of what follows is my interpretation of 15+ years of stuff percolating in my head...

Dreams mean things. Your instinct is important. Follow your gut and hunches, it's your mind finding patterns. It wont always work, but that just means you weren't properly paying attention to things. 

When in doubt, use an ERLL. We invented the things after all. If you can tie it to a mobile platform and play range tricks, that's even better. When choosing a ride, pick one that's adaptable to a fluid situation, or that tends to focus on long range combat.

"If it works, use it." We're pretty adaptable, and have a tendency to use stuff that works, no matter the origin. We've even used Smoke Jaguar tactics against the Smoke Jaguars. Which is probably hilarious for any Nova Cat watching the fight.

Study your opponent as much as possible. Patience is not a four letter word. Know your battlefield as much as possible before engaging.

HATE the Smoke Jaguars. Hate them as only a Clan Player can hate someone. Feuds are marvelous things.

We are an economic Clan. People tend to forget that as the Diamond Sharks/Sea Fox embraced it, but it's how we got powerful. Trust the Merchants to do their job. The other castes may need a bit more guidance.

Aerospace rocks. Don't bid away your fighters unless you have to. Don't be afraid to use your dropships for fire support, either. If you lose it, that'll suck, but not as badly as losing the battle.

Age brings wisdom, something the other Clans have forgotten. Then again, age also brings senility and slower reflexes, so don't let up on the old fogeys either. You cant advance unless you clear out the chaff.

If you have to go down, make sure they feel it. Your totem animal is a venomous cross between a porcupine and cat. If anything does eat you, you want to stick in their throat, poison their bloodstream, and claw claw claw all the way down.

Yeah, one of the two sees visions in her dreams, seeing as she's...in a very interesting spot, without easy access to all her Clan has to offer.

That whole bit about the Jags...I forgot how much we hate them, haw haw!! Might have to work that into her character in the form of colorful insults at the Jags' expense.

And...um...ERLL? *is a bit of a n00b*
So, now the Thor has TWO really angry nipple piercings. - Zerokei
He fell over, is on fire and now he's been karate-kicked in the face. Is the dancing on his chest really neccessary? - GM

The Plano MechWarrior and BattleTech Guild: Join Us On Facebook!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #250 on: 06 December 2014, 15:53:49 »
Oddly Timed Tangent:

One of my favorite things in Operation Klondike is the entire Circe operation.  Because, on one hand, you've got the Ravens and the Wolverines HATING each other, pretty much to the point that they are sabotaging each other's efforts.  This is arguably the most vitriolic Clan Relationship during Klondike.

On the other hand, you've got the Cats and the Mongooses watching this happen.

"So, uh, those Ravens and Wolverines are beating the crap outta each other."

"Yeah.  They really are."

"Um...do you want to do that?"

"Not really.  Seems counterproductive."

"Okay."

"Race you to the next town?"

"You're on!"

This friendly-ish competition between the Nova Cats and Mongooses for the purposes of a greater goal is, to me, what iner-clan rivalry would be in an ideal world.  And it makes me wonder if one of the reasons the Jaguars took out the Mongooses was SIMPLY to spite the Cats.  (Keeping in mind I haven't READ Golden Century).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #251 on: 06 December 2014, 17:25:00 »
ERLL = ER large laser

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #252 on: 07 December 2014, 00:27:37 »
This friendly-ish competition between the Nova Cats and Mongooses for the purposes of a greater goal is, to me, what iner-clan rivalry would be in an ideal world.  And it makes me wonder if one of the reasons the Jaguars took out the Mongooses was SIMPLY to spite the Cats.  (Keeping in mind I haven't READ Golden Century).
As Weasley said, we didn't get much foot space in Golden Century. A sentence scattered here and there. Mongoose's entry did mention us, but that was mostly a rehash of how we cooperated during Revival.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #253 on: 08 December 2014, 21:03:29 »
I personally found it entertaining that the Mongooses and Cats were on the short list of Clans to troubleshoot at the end of Klondike for the Founder, right behind the Wolves. Gives me a warm fuzzy that I haven't had in a while.

Ah, for the good old days when Clan deaths were rare and shocking things.

Jean Cocteau

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #255 on: 10 December 2014, 16:41:57 »
So there's this ...
http://bg.battletech.com/news/battleblog/handbook-house-kurita-developers-blog-3/

After reading that I'm amazed any of the 'Cats stayed in the Draconis Combine after the formation of the Republic. I'm even more surprised more didn't follow the Spirit Cats.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #256 on: 10 December 2014, 16:45:39 »
After reading that I'm amazed any of the 'Cats stayed in the Draconis Combine after the formation of the Republic. I'm even more surprised more didn't follow the Spirit Cats.

Ditto
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #257 on: 10 December 2014, 18:00:11 »
i think that  Minobu Tetsuhara would have understood. he'd have been familiar with the idea of Honor, and examples like The tale of the Loyal Samurai

There was a loyal samurai whose lord was cruel and mistreated him. Another lord was impressed by the Samurai's loyalty and offered him a position in his house, bu the Samurai refused. "if i go with you" the samurai said "who will take care of my masters? who would protect him and tend to his house" and so the loyal samurai returned to the lord who mistreated him.

the moral of the tale is that loyalty is the core of Bushido.. regardless of conditions. and that it is easy to serve a good master, but the true test of loyalty is in serving a bad one. even if it means your own discomfort.

the Nova Cats, for good or ill, made promises to the Combine after Op Bulldog. and until near the very end they stuck to those promises. when the Republic formed up, their relationship with the Combine had not gotten to the point where they needed to start questioning those promises. and it is worth noting that the republic cat's  still saw themselves as part of the Nova Cat's.. its was the Combine Nova Cat's that ultimately decided otherwise. (and a good argument could be made that the Republic Cat's had remained truer to the honor and spirit of Clan Nova Cat than the combine branch did..)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #258 on: 10 December 2014, 20:04:15 »
After reading that, I feel like I need to go stare at a wall for a while.  Just...damn.  Wow.  Ben Rome painted a beautiful (if bleak) picture right there.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #259 on: 10 December 2014, 20:29:16 »
After reading that, I feel like I need to go stare at a wall for a while.  Just...damn.  Wow.  Ben Rome painted a beautiful (if bleak) picture right there.

Ben Rome & the Clans = Perfection/Death (whichever way you look at it)
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #260 on: 11 December 2014, 07:24:10 »
beautiful little passage.  I remember reading it the first time. I hope it helps explain some of the more difficult parts of recent books relating to the Nova Cats. The poor guys never had a chance in the face of a 600 year old culture.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #261 on: 11 December 2014, 08:03:22 »
*thinks happy thoughts*
Kittens romping in snow, Bears on fire, Luthien a smoking hunk of char...

Memories...all alone in the moonlight.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #262 on: 11 December 2014, 11:49:29 »
beautiful little passage.  I remember reading it the first time. I hope it helps explain some of the more difficult parts of recent books relating to the Nova Cats. The poor guys never had a chance in the face of a 600 year old culture.

A culture that also ruthlessly undermines cultures outside of their accepted paradigm.  Xenophobia was a major theme of the Draconis Combine in the original housebook.  Non-Japanese cultures were at best tolerated.  The Rasalhague population even after independence continue to speak a language that is forever altered by the Combine's relentless attempts to assimilate them.  It is "good" to see the old hostilities within the Combine have not been forgotten.  The era of good feelings left over from the Clan Invasion could be seen as a turnaround in the Combine's attitudes.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #263 on: 11 December 2014, 11:59:56 »

Keep in mind, that vignette is from 10 years after their initial 'absorption.' By the time we get to the Dark Age proper, it's been 60 years(?) and several generations. Stockholm Syndrome sets in, or one of long-term generational despair. It's a problem that's very acute on some reservations in the U.S. today.
Eh.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #264 on: 11 December 2014, 12:09:30 »
The Draconis Combine also made a stink about the number of Nova Cats that wanted to join the Republic.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #265 on: 11 December 2014, 12:16:27 »
The Draconis Combine also made a stink about the number of Nova Cats that wanted to join the Republic.
Yeah, just a tad. That whole, "We'll join the coalition but only if you send half the Cats back to Irece," bit the Combine did with Stone. And they weren't just talking about the touman. Remember there were reports in late 3071 and early 3072 that they were packing up civilians and mobile manufacturing facilities essentially prepping for another exodus.

*thinks happy thoughts*

Crud, Ben broke Istal.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #266 on: 11 December 2014, 13:30:04 »
Yeah, just a tad. That whole, "We'll join the coalition but only if you send half the Cats back to Irece," bit the Combine did with Stone. And they weren't just talking about the touman. Remember there were reports in late 3071 and early 3072 that they were packing up civilians and mobile manufacturing facilities essentially prepping for another exodus.

It would have been so much more "Nova Cat" if they had gone all out ignored the Combine and settled fully in the Republic maybe in the Prefectures that faced the Combine.

The DA comes and the Nova Cats/Combine have a big ass brawl - probably have still killed us but would have stopped splitting the Clan - silly WizKids Story

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #267 on: 11 December 2014, 13:43:15 »
It would have been so much more "Nova Cat" if they had gone all out ignored the Combine and settled fully in the Republic maybe in the Prefectures that faced the Combine.

They didn't have a choice.  If the Combine was making a fuss they could have elevated to full scale hostilities.  From the perspective of the Combine the Nova Cats had promised to hold the border against the Bears.  If they reneged on that deal it would be open season on all things Nova and Catlike.  And, let's not forget that thanks to their own bungling the Nova Cats had been pushed to the brink by the Ghost Bears in the Second Combine Dominion War.  The number of times the Combine has had to come to the Nova Cats' aid...

The DA comes and the Nova Cats/Combine have a big ass brawl - probably have still killed us but would have stopped splitting the Clan - silly WizKids Story

So it is better to have died as one clan than to have split and survived?  The Spirit Cats are making it work.  That is a fairly good alternative to extermination.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #268 on: 11 December 2014, 15:36:00 »
Also the Cats declared a Trial of Refusal in 3073 against Stone to prevent sending half their people back to Irece and lost.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #269 on: 12 December 2014, 13:41:13 »
*thinks happy thoughts*

Tears in the rain, Istal. Tears in the rain.

So there's this ...
http://bg.battletech.com/news/battleblog/handbook-house-kurita-developers-blog-3/

It kind of takes the concept of "kicking them when they're down" to a new philosophical perspective. Can you kick them when they're down, if they're already dead? Even if they aren't dead yet but have already died? If dying in the future is a prerequisite to a cessation of pain, does pain retroactively applied to the past violate the finality of the death as it was previously/will be later endured? Does the natural flow of time to the human perspective become rendered moot within the literary context, and thusly nullify the pain of the already witnessed death by replacing it with the pain that has there to for not yet but is currently being felt?

I... I've got to go. My nose and ears are bleeding.

Jean Cocteau