Author Topic: Alpha Strike: A Quick-Playing Tactical Miniatures Game  (Read 225053 times)

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
Re: Alpha Strike: The TableTop Miniatures Rulebook
« Reply #300 on: 23 July 2013, 12:06:38 »
Thanks Weirdo.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #301 on: 23 July 2013, 12:47:49 »
Yeah, but the Set-Up section and TOC still say Clan Invasion Era.
One has nothing to do with the other - like Bosch said, its just page design. There's no intrinsic connection between Steiner and 'core rules' or Kurita and 'construction'...and even if the Clans might have worked since this book samples the Clan Invasion Era - that theme was taken already by the RPG and the Companion.

Oh! and -- SpoilerSpoilerSpoiler!  :D
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
« Reply #302 on: 23 July 2013, 13:48:09 »
It may just be my printer, but I'm having a hard time getting the PDF to print.

Anyone else? 

This is only 15 pages.  If there's someway to make the full release more printer friendly I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any tips on printing. I was able to get 4 pages printed and now I seem to be out of luck. Honestly, I'm not too concerned with the preview but more getting ready for the full version, which will be ordered July 29th.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #303 on: 23 July 2013, 13:53:44 »
So any suggestions on how to run Demos for QS/AS?

Any suggested mechs that have BOTH good stats and an attractive fig?

Suggested number of mechs on each side?
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #304 on: 23 July 2013, 13:57:04 »
My group played Lance on Lance games with Quick Strike and they went through pretty quick.
As for mech suggestions I can't wave the Medium Mech flag enough here.
Some designs I thought sucked in Total Warfare scale are decent troopers in QS/AS apparently.
Though I can't comment on attractive minis because my tastes probably wouldn't match others.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #305 on: 23 July 2013, 14:22:04 »
Yeah, but the Set-Up section and TOC still say Clan Invasion Era.
For the same price, you get Alpha-Strike plus the Intro box, which sets you up for a long time. Even starship mini games don't give you that kind of value.

Or if you don't have $50 for figs, they have a Battle Force scale.
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=battleforce&categories_id=&ptype=&extra_value_id18=&extra_value_id19=&extra_value_id21=

When did these come out?
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #306 on: 23 July 2013, 14:26:51 »
I think they were released right around the release of Starter: Fist and Falcon. That was a pdf only release of the now defunct starterbooks. I think that was last year, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #307 on: 23 July 2013, 16:38:28 »
Fist and Falcon was April 2011 according to my battleshop invoice
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #308 on: 23 July 2013, 18:18:55 »
It might be.  Captain of the Watch and I used to live a mile or so from each other so we did some joint photoshoots.  Those and other images are stored for the art guy(s) to choose from and use at their discretion.  Heck, those donegal guards have been in several rule books :)
Nope, the one in TacOps is white on the left and a blue and white checker board on the right, the one in this is white on the left with a blue side and sold blue on the right, anyone know which unit it belongs to?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #309 on: 23 July 2013, 18:24:38 »
Lyran Guards.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

rocqueforte

• Corporal
« Reply #310 on: 24 July 2013, 01:52:36 »
G'day,

Does anyone know if Alpha Strike will be a core "spine" book? In other words, will the spine of the Dead Tree Format Alpha Strike continue the ongoing image that has featured on the spines of "Total Warfare", "Tactical Operations", "Strategic Operations" and "A Time of War"?

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #311 on: 24 July 2013, 06:58:22 »
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that there was not a bit more granularity added. I'd like to see a bit more variety in the combat. FREX if a unit has an attack value of 2 and LRM 1, I would like to see those things rolled to hit separately. As it stands now it doesn't seem like units last long enough. I know the game is supposed to be faster but I'd still like to see my Atlas last through 3 turns of direct fire if he takes 3 turns of direct fire in normal rules (completely arbitrary number I know, just throwing it out there). 

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #312 on: 24 July 2013, 07:27:07 »
As it stands now it doesn't seem like units last long enough. I know the game is supposed to be faster but I'd still like to see my Atlas last through 3 turns of direct fire if he takes 3 turns of direct fire in normal rules (completely arbitrary number I know, just throwing it out there).
But you're missing one thing. As TW play was scaled up to BattleForce play (what Alpha Strike is based upon), there was a scaling of time as well per turn. In TW play each turn is 10 seconds, in BF each turn is 30 seconds. Now I didn't see any mention of time in the AS preview, but if it is keeping to the same kind of abstractions as BF, then those 3 turns of AS play that your Atlas lasts are the same as 9 turns of TW play, which is pretty reasonable.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #313 on: 24 July 2013, 07:50:33 »
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that there was not a bit more granularity added. I'd like to see a bit more variety in the combat. FREX if a unit has an attack value of 2 and LRM 1, I would like to see those things rolled to hit separately. As it stands now it doesn't seem like units last long enough. I know the game is supposed to be faster but I'd still like to see my Atlas last through 3 turns of direct fire if he takes 3 turns of direct fire in normal rules (completely arbitrary number I know, just throwing it out there).
This isn't the "full" alpha strike product. It only covers introductory alpha strike. The rules are really simplified. It's probable that the expanded rules you're looking for are going to be covered in later chapters of the book which haven't been released yet.

And FWIW, I think the fast gameplay (units not lasting very long) is actually a goal to bring in the WH40K/Warmachine players. If the game can be set up and played in an hour or two, that's a good thing for those players.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #314 on: 24 July 2013, 08:43:35 »
No, the spine will not feature the art from the other core books.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #315 on: 24 July 2013, 13:43:28 »

I understand the desire for more weapons effects, but I don't think it was ever in the cards.  At least not without losing the backwards compatibility with BF cards and stats.

I for one am glad they don't appear to be adding any granularity.  BT players are used to 6mm scale miniatures having stats and data that rival RPG's. However, most other games with 6mm miniatures operate on a level of abstraction where each miniature or unit has one attack profile.  Alpha Strike (Quick-Strike/Battleforce, etc) is much more in line with this philosophy. 
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #316 on: 24 July 2013, 14:06:45 »
I understand the desire for more weapons effects, but I don't think it was ever in the cards.  At least not without losing the backwards compatibility with BF cards and stats.

I for one am glad they don't appear to be adding any granularity.  BT players are used to 6mm scale miniatures having stats and data that rival RPG's. However, most other games with 6mm miniatures operate on a level of abstraction where each miniature or unit has one attack profile.  Alpha Strike (Quick-Strike/Battleforce, etc) is much more in line with this philosophy.

True. I'll fully admit that I have not played much and intend to at Gencon. My hope is that it still "feels" like Battletech.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #317 on: 24 July 2013, 14:19:16 »

I'd suggest you give a Standard or Advanced game a try. Based on the TOC; there is a granularity, but of a different sort.
Even if there isn't a difference in time scale, I've had enough Atlas die from headshot to never take any mech's life expectancy for granted.  And frankly, I felt like I've wasted too much time in my games "Rolling five times for a seatbelt check." (As a friend of mine puts it.)

*Advanced Movement Modes
Climbing
Evading
Leaping
Intentional Falls from Above
Sprinting
Transporting Non-Infantry Units

Advanced Terrain
Buildings
Deep Snow
Gravel Piles
Hazardous Liquid Pools
Heavy Industrial
Ice
Jungle
Magma
Mud
Planted Fields
Rails
Rough, Ultra
Rubble, Ultra
Sand
Swamp
Tundra
Water (Expanded)
Woods (Expanded)
Bogging Down

Aerospace Units on the Ground Map

Artillery

On-Board Artillery vs. Off-Board Artillery

Alternate Munitions

Concealing Unit Composition[/size]

Etc.http://bg.battletech.com/?p=5033
« Last Edit: 24 July 2013, 14:23:30 by Von Ether »

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #318 on: 24 July 2013, 15:45:13 »
So any suggestions on how to run Demos for QS/AS?

Any suggested mechs that have BOTH good stats and an attractive fig?

Suggested number of mechs on each side?

Lance v Lance is probably a good way to start, even though the attraction of AS is that it can play much larger games.   I'd just pick the best looking mechs from the Introductory Box and use them.  Letting folks know they can get a bunch of cheap plastic mechs is a nice selling point even if it's for a different game.

I wouldn't worry too much about "good stats" as new players aren't going to have enough experience to compare the merits of various mechs.

The most important parts of a demo well painted minis and terrain, and a presenter who knows the rules and is personable.  That's what draws folks in.  Stats and minutiae can wait until later.
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #319 on: 24 July 2013, 19:47:11 »
True. I'll fully admit that I have not played much and intend to at Gencon. My hope is that it still "feels" like Battletech.

I find it plays like a midpoint between BattleTech and Warmachine, but it really keeps the BT feel.  You can still overheat, there's critical hits, even the chance for a lucky headcap or ammo explosion.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #320 on: 25 July 2013, 08:44:47 »
Yeah, but if they havent changed things from the StratOps version, you get wierd results like AMS heavy mechs not being able to reduce damage on a Yeoman's salvo if said Yeoman had all its LRM's equipped with ArtIV. I think they went a little bit overboard in the abstraction in trying to get all the firepower down to one line.

Personally, I would have made it four lines, one each for Ballistic, Energy, Missile, and Melee. (And leave out the ones that dont apply) Hopefully, that's an Advanced Rules option.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #321 on: 25 July 2013, 10:03:23 »
Yeah, but if they havent changed things from the StratOps version, you get wierd results like AMS heavy mechs not being able to reduce damage on a Yeoman's salvo if said Yeoman had all its LRM's equipped with ArtIV. I think they went a little bit overboard in the abstraction in trying to get all the firepower down to one line.
The Yeoman would have an IF rating, and therefore AMS would affect it.  (True of Strat Ops and Alpha Strike).  That's why that note was put in there.

Personally, I would have made it four lines, one each for Ballistic, Energy, Missile, and Melee. (And leave out the ones that dont apply) Hopefully, that's an Advanced Rules option.

That would require a completely separate conversion, Unit card, etc. 

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

George_Labour

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #322 on: 25 July 2013, 11:40:12 »

I had a similar desire as my group's QS campaign has chugged along which is why I included the Evasion rules from Battleforce into our games. This lets a veteran or elite pilot increase their defense by up to 3 which can stack with the modifiers for partial cover and woods. So even an AS7-D atlas can managed a +8 to hit if it wishes to give up a round of shooting and you're careful with your maneuvering. Combined with the Atlas's armor and lack of XL engine (Which gives it more structure) the thing is practically a zombie.

Of course you're not shooting back but you did only stipulate you wanted to last 3 rounds.

And it seems that evading is in the table of contents for Alpha Strike so there ya go.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #323 on: 25 July 2013, 14:42:05 »
The Yeoman would have an IF rating, and therefore AMS would affect it.  (True of Strat Ops and Alpha Strike).  That's why that note was put in there.

That would require a completely separate conversion, Unit card, etc.
Hmm. I missed that the IF entry did not state Standard LRM launchers, so yeah, an all Artemis IV equipped unit would have IF and AMS would effect it. That said, you still get the rule quirk of a Art. IV armed mech being able to indirectly fire when it cant do it in Battletech, and AMS effecting mortar rounds.  My initial point would stand with a mech armed with Stream or Artemis IV SRMs too.

Yes. Yes it would. I'm not saying I'd want this to be standard for something like Battleforce, but since this is for a slightly more complex game, if you're adding up weapon damages for conversion anyways, it wouldnt be that much harder to just split it up while you're working. (You're seperating out LRM, SRM, and plain AC damage as is) If you look at the unit card in the sample, there's a big blotch of white space that you could shift the armor/structure, leaving you with a couple other lines.  If you wanted to be fancy you could put an image of it on the opposide side and/or a summary of what its special abilities did.

While I'm speaking about pipe dreams, I'd want their PV to be based on the actual Alpha Strike stats as opposed to just using the BV. (If they arent doing this to begin with)
« Last Edit: 25 July 2013, 14:47:17 by Istal_Devalis »

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #324 on: 25 July 2013, 15:19:43 »
That said, you still get the rule quirk of a Art. IV armed mech being able to indirectly fire when it cant do it in Battletech,

Where did you get THAT idea?

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #325 on: 26 July 2013, 09:49:11 »
Where did you get THAT idea?
Huh. I could have sworn there was a rule that Artemis IV equipped LRM's couldnt fire indirectly, but it appears I'm mistaken.

Anyways, we still have Quickstrike AMS shooting down Mortars and not being able to shoot down Streak SRMs.

phoenixhawk

• Private
« Reply #326 on: 26 July 2013, 09:54:29 »
Do the new Alpha Strike rules use regular-scale minis or is there a separate line of minis for use with this game? Was trying to find the answer, but can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

Chris

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #327 on: 26 July 2013, 10:03:08 »
Do the new Alpha Strike rules use regular-scale minis or is there a separate line of minis for use with this game? Was trying to find the answer, but can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

Whichever one you want. I believe the intention is to use the regular minis, but there is nothing stopping you from using the smaller ones. The only issue I can think of would be issues dealing with cover and LOS if two players use different-scale miniatures. So whichever scale you choose, I'd advise you to make sure that whoever you're most likely to be playing against uses minis of the same scale.

...or have enough minis to represent both sides. Surprisingly doable if you go with the smaller stuff.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #328 on: 26 July 2013, 10:32:39 »

Chris
The rules assume regular-scale minis. 
One thing that really matters for scale of minis is that the rules assume 1" elevation will provide partial cover (for 'mechs) or full cover (most everything else) and a 'mech can scale up to 2" at a time.  This fits standard BattleTech scale minis (which are around 2" tall).  If your minis are significantly different, then those two rules might not make sense.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #329 on: 26 July 2013, 12:07:13 »
Huh. I could have sworn there was a rule that Artemis IV equipped LRM's couldnt fire indirectly, but it appears I'm mistaken.

Anyways, we still have Quickstrike AMS shooting down Mortars and not being able to shoot down Streak SRMs.

Yes, and if you have Artemis you can't use special munitions at all.  Some things get lost in abstraction.