Author Topic: Man O' War Question  (Read 4684 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Man O' War Question
« on: 12 April 2011, 10:35:37 »
Hi.  I've got an old Man O' War (20-604) sculpt.  How does it compare size wise to the new resculpted Man O' War (20-386)?

Pictures would be great!

pintotheevil

• Master Sergeant
Re: Man O' War Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2011, 13:27:23 »
It has missile pods on the arms... thats about it from what I can tell

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2011, 13:35:09 »
Thanks, yeah I'm looking more to see what the size comparison is.  For example, the old Summoner/Thor sculpt is much smaller than the new Thor sculpt.  I'd like to know what the difference is. 

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2011, 17:11:02 »
There are pics of both on CSO. Look for examples that have a standard IWM hexbase, then look for ones that are roughly at the same level of zoom using the hexbase to scale.
Based on that, I would say the two sculpts are almost identical in scale.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2011, 17:16:12 »
Thanks.  I've been able to do that... i'm just wondering if anyone has the two to compare. It would be much more helpful.

The reason I ask is because I feel horrible fielding my old Summoners, Timber Wolves and Hellbringers along with the new sculpt ones.  The old sculpts scale favorably against some of the unseen and introductory box plastics I own.  But the new sculpts are ridiculously big.  And before I spend money, I'd like to know.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2011, 21:52:50 »
Thanks.  I've been able to do that... i'm just wondering if anyone has the two to compare. It would be much more helpful.

The reason I ask is because I feel horrible fielding my old Summoners, Timber Wolves and Hellbringers along with the new sculpt ones.  The old sculpts scale favorably against some of the unseen and introductory box plastics I own.  But the new sculpts are ridiculously big.  And before I spend money, I'd like to know.

I don't have an old sculpt, myself, but at a game a while back I was able to put my resculpt next to an old sculpt. The size difference isn't as noticeable as on the Summoner, but it's still pretty noticeable. That said, those SRM racks added to the arms make a huge, HUGE difference in the looks department. Call it a wash- bigger, but much better as well. Throw in the new Omnimech parts, and it's a treat to work on them.

I'd say you're probably okay with the resculpt if you use it alongside the older sculpts- after all, it IS a humanoid assault Mech, it SHOULD be pretty beefy compared to it's companions.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2011, 00:55:51 »
Thanks, JadeHellbringer.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2011, 13:07:46 »
Hey, it just occurred to me as I was getting ready to paint... I don't have an old-sculpt Gargoyle handy, but I DO have a new sculpt and old sculpt Executioner around. Not the same Mech, I know, but they share the same legs and such- would it help if I get a photo of those two next to each other at all?

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2011, 13:18:33 »
yeah, that would help if they are both on the same type of base.  that way i could see the leg difference.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2011, 14:16:54 »
OK, the phone on my Blackberry sucks, but you get the idea at least. On the left is a resculpt Executioner (with, I should note, parts to make it into the A configuration), and on the right is an original sculpt model. The bases are different, but the inside of them is at the same level- so this really is the two standing on equal footing. Detail sucks, again I apologize, but it shows the size difference at least.

Hope this at least sort of helps.

+Crow T. Robot+

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2011, 17:48:33 »
Yeah, I think the new sculpts, though much better, are just too big to fit with my clan star.

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2011, 19:04:28 »
Ya know Hellbie, the phone on my Blackberry sucks, too, but I find the camera works great.  ;)

But as for the resculpt, what else is different between those two other than size?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2011, 12:26:59 »
The new resculpts have a lot more detail and match TRO: 3050 Update.  The old sculpts are smaller, lack detail and match the art from the original TRO: 3050

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2011, 12:44:13 »
The new resculpts have a lot more detail and match TRO: 3050 Update.  The old sculpts are smaller, lack detail and match the art from the original TRO: 3050

And of course, the new sculpts are better able to use the Omnimech parts from IWM (such as my Executioner A above), making for more versatility. They're also, being bigger, a little more in-tune with similar weight designs that have come out lately.

+Crow T. Robot+

Raven Claw

• Sergeant
  • %10 of the time it works %100 of the time!
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2011, 16:17:29 »
For some reason I cannot access this site from home. when I get home though, tonight I can take a pic of an old and new Man O war side by side together.  For some reason it is one of my all time fave mechs...in the top eight anyway. I wont be able to post the pic until i come back to work on Wednesday.  Sorry about that but I will post it when I get in, in the morning  I would say that the newer Omnis are about %20 bigger.
Roses are red, violets are red, grass is red......
Oh Snap! BRB my lawn's on fire!!

Raven Claw

• Sergeant
  • %10 of the time it works %100 of the time!
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2011, 10:46:42 »
Ok, here is a pic. I had more but somehow my phone lost them.  All the resculpts of the 3050 Omnis have a lot more detail and are noticeable bigger.  Some more so than others.  And as was said earlier, they can take all of the modular omni arms and parts that Ironwind sells separately to make some very nice variants. To me, one of the best examples of the new generation resculpts is the Atlas.  The first one on the right was made in the late 80s. It was good but it was all one piece. The Atlas Mk2 came in around 1999. It also came in separate parts and towers over most other miniatures like a colossus and helps it match its reputation. Next they had the Atlas Mk3 which got a little shorter but seemed to make it feel more like it had a higher mass per size ratio (am I saying that right?)  Although I don't like the face nearly as much as the Mk2,  This one can not be beat when it comes to assembly options!  [notworthy] the legs, hips, torso and even its head are all in separate easy to fit pieces! And this time the arms are not just separate pieces, they are made in such a way that the shoulder has totally smooth movement so it can freely be put into any position to easily make all sorts of poses and is very easy to convert for your favorite version! [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy]
Roses are red, violets are red, grass is red......
Oh Snap! BRB my lawn's on fire!!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2011, 12:02:02 »
Thanks, this is great information.  The new Gargoyle/Man O War is much larger and out of scale with the rest of my clan star.

I've got an Atlas (resculpt number 2) as well as a couple of the plastic Atlases, but I've always wanted to see how it compared to the new one. 

Register