Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Warwolf  (Read 26410 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
'Mech of the Week: Warwolf
« on: 06 December 2013, 07:34:36 »
’Mech of the Week: Warwolf OmniMech

Warwolf OmniMech, Technical Readout: 3145, p. 163

It’s hard to say what sparked Khan Seth Wart’s desire to order the development of the Warwolf and its smaller, equally lupus-inspired cousin the Wulfen. Perhaps he was feeling a case of totem envy with the Falcon’s ‘Mechs. The Eyrie, Gyrfalcon, and Shrike had been stomping across the fields looking rather snazzy what with their hooked beaks and partial wings.  Hell’s Horses have been using the Balius to canter into battle, snorting fire and hoping warriors don’t snicker at some inappropriately placed lasers. We haven’t even mentioned the granddaddy of Grand Council costumes ballooned to BattleMech scale, the Kodiak . Worse yet, the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes had coopted the Timber Wolf iconography over the decades, possibly stealing some of its luster in the eyes of Clan Wolf’s warriors. The Khan obviously felt something new was required either to inspire his Clan or to fill a gap in its TO&E. Hence, the Warwolf, and its muzzle-like cockpit would be released on an Inner Sphere in turmoil.

Parting the curtains of the fourth wall for a moment, the Warwolf was first spotted in MechWarrior: Age of Destruction’s Wolf Strike expansion park. The OmniMech’s look is based on art by Brent Evans which can be found on his website. The creator of the ‘Mech’s visual aesthetic was also the source of the BattleTech stats, from the base chassis to several of the configurations. Except the H which I believe y’all can lay the blame on jymset for that one.

jymset: next to Patrick Wynne, Brent Evans was one of two people whose input took precedence over all other research that formed TRO 3145.  I had a true geek moment when I realized that Brent had always intended the Warwolf to be an OmniMech.  I pounced on the chance to have some fun with it when doing the H.

So what does Khan Ward’s totemic heavy provide? At 75 tons and a flanking speed of 86 kph, the Warwolf is comfortable in the heavy cavalry role and shares the same Starfire 375 XL fusion engine found in many such Clan machines. While there’s room in the engine, the base chassis has no double heat sinks installed beyond the base ten to save weight. As with many of the aforementioned Clan heavy cavalry models, an endo steel frame forms the Omni’s bones. What separates the Warwolf from so many other machines is what protects all those remarkably similar internal components. Fourteen and a half tons of Forging BL2 reactive armor lends the ‘Mech the maximum level of protection for a machine its size and enables all the forward sections to readily handle the heaviest ‘Mech-scale weapons science has yet created. Well, except the head, but we’ll just ignore that bit. For those looking for specifics, 35 points in the center torso, 24 in the side torsos and arms, and 32 in the legs. Aft sections have a respectable 8/11/8 spread. The advanced armor is bulky and carries a slight risk of … well … explosion. But with that comes enhanced protection for missiles, mortars, and artillery. This could be seen as a Clan’s acceptance that warfare in the Sphere means accepting reality of weathering the odd bit of eruptive rain. The earliest Warwolf combat, aside for trials, was also against the states of the former Free Worlds League. I’d certainly be grateful for anything that takes the edge off the flights of LRMs those armies stereotypically love.

Warwolf availability is limited to Clan Wolf, Wolf Empire, or whatever we’re calling it these days. Prototyped in the Wolf Occupation zone, it didn’t enter full production until manufacturing facilities were retooled on Thermopolis. Initially rare and only available to those who adequately impressed the Khan, the Warwolf will certainly spread though the touman as production continues to spin up. Now we’ll take a gander at what standard configurations those Wolf warriors will be taking into battle.

Warwolf Prime – Like a gunslinger out of the ancient North American West, the Prime’s right arm sports a Gauss rifle with sixteen shots loaded into an attached drum magazine. It’s a visual that continues with the remaining configurations as well, none of them mount a single weapon in the left arm.  Each shoulder supports an LRM 10 as the rifle’s sole backup.  The missile racks are each fed by their own ton of ammunition sheltered in CASE II protected bins. The overall offensive output is light for a Clan heavy, but at least the already fearsome gun is linked to a targeting computer, helping make every shot count.  Proving that reactive armor is great, but making sure the missiles don’t hit is even better, a laser AMS is installed in the head. Just in case the Warwolf Prime’s own weapons aren’t enough, a TAG laser has been added. The Wolves have never been shy about the application of Arrow IVs for problem solving and it would appear they don’t intend to give up on the idea. Finally, each torso contains a single jump jet. While not sufficient to generate any better TMMs that just running, the jets to come in handy for quickly clearing obstacles. Plus the image of this Omni’ “pouncing” on prey is just too appealing. The Prime isn’t about the overwhelming application of firepower, but its precision application. It strikes me as the kind of ‘Mech you assign to a ristar with a finesse streak.

Warwolf A – The Warwolf A takes the simplicity of the Prime’s armament and chucks it out the window without bothering to raise the sash. An ER PPC takes the BFG position in the right arm along with a medium pulse laser. Streak launchers occupy the side torsos; an LRM 10 in the right and an SRM 6 in the left, each with an accompanying ton of ammo protected by CASE II. The A’s center line contains an ER large laser, a second medium pulse laser and in case that wasn’t enough an ER medium laser in the head. Four extra double heat sinks are adequate for bracket firing but letting loose the full mix of beams and missiles will certainly risk unpleasant consequences. Still, it’s fully capable of inflicting pain at all ranges.

Warwolf B – Jump jet fans rejoice! The B has a full complement of standard jump jets for all your bouncing pleasure.  Sadly, the armament is also the lightest of all configurations. The right arm is occupied by an Ultra AC/10 supplied with enough rounds to fire full bore for a solid two and a half minutes. The adjacent torso is fitted with an ER large pulse laser. The head mounted laser AMS returns to provide its aegis. A whopping five double heat sinks keep B astoundingly cool till the engine criticals start. ER pulse lasers take a beating from critics but that’s not the most concerning aspect of this configuration. Having just two weapons and mounting them both on the same side is something I find worrisome. Made sure you keep your left side facing the enemy. On the bright side, it is the least expensive in terms of battle value. Pilot it like a Summoner and you should do well.

Warwolf C – The C is very much the Prime redux with the weapon arrangement, jump jets, targeting computer, even the CASE II munition bins and laser AMS all returning. The right arm gun trades stopping power for accuracy with the mounting of a large pulse laser. Yes the dreaded pulse laser/targeting combination again rears its head.  Shoulder-mounted missile boxes come in the form of ATM 9s this time around, each supplied with two tons of ammo. Unless I know I’m fighting in tight confines, those bins are likely to be split between extend range and high explosive types. Rounding off the C configuration is a trio of additional double heat sinks. Bounding around, weapons blazing and the AMS swatting missile flights, will put the heat gauge into positive territory, but only just. So no worries there. Perhaps it’s the HE rounds making my head all fuzzy, but the C wants to be a close ranged brawler. It’s none too shabby taking on that role, especially if it does finding itself frolicking in the aforementioned tight confines.

Warwolf H – The Gauss rifle returns to its home in the Warwolf’s right arm. The two tons of slugs are stored in the right arm, still in their stylish drum magazine as indicated by the cover art of TRO: 3145 – The Clans. Each of the side torsos houses an improved heavy large laser. The machine is protected from the lasers’ unstable nature by CASE II encapsulation. Three double heat sinks are woefully inadequate to tackle the volume of heat produced by an alpha strike. Thankfully a pair of coolant pods can flush the system keep the warrior from suffering sudden dehydration. Well, twice at least. Given the heavy laser’s short range compared to many other hard hitting weapons, the installation of a supercharger makes perfect sense. It also meshes with the aggressive mindset behind the armament.  Personally, I find a 75 ton ‘Mech charging down the enemy at 108 kph with three guns carving off several tons of armor a thing of beauty.

Like nearly every other Clan heavy ‘Mech, the Warwolf may suffer from comparisons to that sublime piece of machinery, the Timber Wolf. More so with the Warwolf sharing the same mass and pedigree. So it’s worth taking a few moments to set the two side by side. The Warwolf ekes out a pyrrhic victory in terms of available pod space. The new ‘Mech has 30 tons at its disposal, two and a half more than the Timber Wolf. The available critical space is the same, though the distribution differs. The weight advantage is overshadowed, at least for energy-heavy configurations, by the Timber Wolf’s fixed heat sinks. It does work in the War’s advantage in the case of the Prime were anything more than the base ten would over sink the design. The Warwolf’s greatest improvement comes from the thick layer reactive armor, though in terms of raw points there’s only one more than what’s found on the T-Wolf.  That armor is the source of my only true gripe, battle value. Because of the modifier applied by reactive and other specialty armors, the battle values of every configuration are enormous compared to the offensive output.

In the end, the difference comes down to the configurations. Many of the Warwolf pods benefit from new materials and designs born out of experience with Inner Sphere warfare. The torsos are always protected by the installation of CASE II when needed. The ammo supply is more than adequate for typical engagements. None of that silly “one ton of slugs for the Gauss rifle” business like the Timber Wolf B. Running some simulations of Prime versus Prime, the newer Wolf could edge out the older if it could stay outside of medium laser range. Once that gap was reliably closed the T-Wolf often ground the Warwolf down. But saying that the Omni it’s awful because it can’t reliable trounce a Timber Wolf is an egregiously unfair statement. The list of heavies that fall into that category is long and quite distinguished.

jymset: Beyond the BV, the most difficult to swallow about the Warwolf is its eclectic weaponry in some configurations, and the general tendency to concentrate on only a few weapons with big punch.  The Mad Cat is always more balanced, with 2 arm pods and (generally) 2 missile shoulders backed up by small tertiary guns is worth it.

In the end, it’s hard to argue with thick, specialized armor, good speed, and respectable, if sparse, load outs. The Wolves could do worse, and frankly have. I’m comfortable saying that the Warwolf admirably fulfills its purpose as a totem for the Wolf Empire.

As always, the Master Unit List has plenty of information and always worth a look. While there’s no examples on CamoSpecs Online, Iron Wind Metals has recently posted images of the miniature.

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Warwolf
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2013, 08:33:23 »
Configuration-wise, it reminds me of a Summoner.  I'd imagine for a while this will be a sharpshooter or a commanders mech.  Pair one with a Timber Wolf or a Savage Wolf, and it'd be pretty cool.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2013, 09:07:53 »
  That armor is the source of my only true gripe, battle value.

Yeah, have to agree there.  Combined with the eclectic weapon load outs, it makes it hard to chose over older, cheaper, and seemingly more solid choices.  With the BV limits my group uses its a suspect choice, as if you are spending that kind of BV, you want a lot of output or unkillability for your budget.

Doesn't mean it's bad, just more difficult to work with!

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2013, 15:58:43 »
If you really want to make your head spin, try comparing the BV of a Warwolf without pods installed to an equally pods-less Timber Wolf.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2013, 18:00:56 »
I like how the combination of LAMS and reactive armor makes the Warwolf nearly impervious to missiles- I just wish the LAMS was more present on the variants to exemplify that.

You know, the Warwolf is at an interesting paradigm for recent designs- the base chassis and variants can't be better than the Timber Wolf that all heavies are partly inspired from, and thus it comes off as being extremely sub-par.  Sure, reactive armor is actually pretty darn good and the crits are placed smartly, but the variants of the Warwolf hover from average-to-bad (whoever made the B should be fired and whipped, and not in that order either), with the H being the only one that piques my interest OR couldn't be outdone by an already-present chassis.

If you really want to make your head spin, try comparing the BV of a Warwolf without pods installed to an equally pods-less Timber Wolf.

I really don't know what you're getting at here- I've checked sarna (I know...) and it has most Timber Wolf variants having lower BV than the Warwolf- worst of all being the H, for the Warwolf being 3,184 BV(!).
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2013, 18:32:35 »
He is suggesting to check podless to compare the BV of the raw chassis.

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2013, 00:26:12 »
Something interesting to note: All of the Reactive Armor critical slots are in the arms or legs. 

The only effect of a chain-reaction is to strip all remaining armor from the location and a singular point of structure damage, which is problematic when someone opens up your rear torsos and blows off all that front armor.  TACs don't hit the arms or legs without floating TACs, and with Reactive outright negating the armor-piercing effects certain weapons and munitions provide, it is extremely unlikely that the Reactive armor's explosive downside will ever do anything more than a point of internal damage. 

Not a major thing, given the already low odds of Reactive armor lighting up, but it's a nice little touch. 

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2013, 06:43:16 »
Apart from the artwork, which looks more like an Age of War design than anything clan (seriously, it looks like a beefed-up Talos), the design gives the impression of repeating the NovaCat battlearmor saga: going to great lengths to not recreate the elemental. It gives the impression that Khan S. Ward told his scientists "Build me a replacement for the Timber Wolf. I want it to be just like a Timber Wolf, but not a Timber Wolf."
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2013, 08:43:53 »
This is certainlly the Mech full of guns design.  Fast and hard hitting, you'd likely get your butt kicked if your not smart approaching this thing in combat.  If a Timberwolf engaged one these, it would have serious fight on it hands.  I think with all the options available, a smart pilot would be able over come it before getting holed to death by this thing. 

Plog and Evans before him did a great job the art work for the WarWolf.    I think uniquely (aside from Reactive Armor), that i think its one few Mechs that retains a full arm actuator with a hand through all its configurations unlike other OmniMechs (Clan and Inner Sphere).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2013, 15:51:13 »
I've been waiting for a clan 5/8 heavy with twin HLLs and a gauss rifle to be canon.   Not sure how I feel about the supercharged and coolant pods.  I'd rather have more heat sinks. 

To the patient go the spoils

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2013, 21:36:01 »
I like the Warwolf, It does cost but most of the new toys seem to have a high price tag. The Prime reminds me of the Grizzly, one of my old favorites. The A is nice; allot more ammo independent and even if you loose your right arm (the PPC and Medium Laser) you still have you Large Laser and Med in you center torso. I should like the H but I still have a hard time liking any mech that uses a Heavy Large vs a C ER Large Laser or a ER PPC.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 18:00:59 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2013, 20:09:20 »
Not sure I am happy with any of the configurations, the two JJ are annoying IMO . . . being ballistic protected, I would expect a bit more stand off . . . not too many with LB-5X, LRM, cERLL or ATM dominated loads.  The C is tolerable but for those 2 wasted jump jets could have put more weapons.  I am also one of those weird people who prefer ERLL over the LPL, which means another two tons of weapon possibilities.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2013, 00:46:22 »
Not sure I am happy with any of the configurations, the two JJ are annoying IMO . . . being ballistic protected, I would expect a bit more stand off . . . not too many with LB-5X, LRM, cERLL or ATM dominated loads.  The C is tolerable but for those 2 wasted jump jets could have put more weapons.  I am also one of those weird people who prefer ERLL over the LPL, which means another two tons of weapon possibilities.
*shrug* I'm the same way with the Vaulter IV, It's a good mech but I don't see a standard configuration I like all that much opposed to the original or the Vaulter MK III. Oh well, to each their own.   

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2013, 11:57:22 »
I really don't know what you're getting at here- I've checked sarna (I know...) and it has most Timber Wolf variants having lower BV than the Warwolf- worst of all being the H, for the Warwolf being 3,184 BV(!).

I'd just point out that Sarna is not an official data source. If you want to check BV, you should use the official Catalyst tool, http://www.masterunitlist.info/
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2013, 13:51:25 »
Let's be honest, though, the wiki is vastly more convenient unless you're looking for Alpha Strike Values or the like.
While we're at it, the C looks pretty nifty on that respect.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2013, 16:06:33 »
*shrug* I'm the same way with the Vaulter IV, It's a good mech but I don't see a standard configuration I like all that much opposed to the original or the Vaulter MK III. Oh well, to each their own.   

See, I love the A and uh, D (twin ATM-12) on the Vulture IV *shrug*

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2013, 16:45:55 »
Let's be honest, though, the wiki is vastly more convenient unless you're looking for Alpha Strike Values or the like.
Convenient, but you need to recognise its limitations. Always always always check the references. Just two days ago a review of Lum's entry revealed only 0.5 out of 4 entries for on world production was correct. This is how myths are made.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2013, 17:15:59 »
Sarna is using both the original TRO/Record sheet and MUL's profile of the unit featured as reference.

H Configuration of the 3,184 is what MUL what is being listed as the offical BV.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 17:19:02 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 10 December 2013, 01:08:59 »

I admit to being biased, having been the brain child for the MUL.

That said, with the MUL you type in the unit name, let's say the Dervish. The search result brings up every variant of the Dervish and gives you weight, BV (if a Record Sheet exists), cost (if known), what TRO/RS it is in, what Rules level, what ERA, and what intro date. The only thing the search results doesn't give is faction. All of this is in a single table format.

Sarna, on the other hand, gives you the complete entry for the Dervish. You find the original versions BV in the right hand stats column and the BV for all the other variants at the end of the text paragraph for that variant.

A further issue with Sarna, is that it is difficult to if the variant's are canon or not. Sarna has been known to document versions from canon sources that are not canon or are incorrect based on trying to decipher a non-TRO reference.

And finally, Sarna doesn't always list all the variants of the design. In the case of the Dervish, the unique version "Mauck" is not on Sarna.

Again, I fully admit to being biased. I'm a Catalyst Freelancer and I came up with the idea for the MUL.

-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2014, 22:57:10 »
I like the Warwolf's art, but like so many mechs introduced under ClickyTech, the Warwolf suffers from a substantial design drawback.  This was touched on in the article, but to emphasize, the decision to not take advantage of the Warwolf's big engine by fixing more freezers than the minimum ten really weakens this omni's configurations.  With only 20 heat points, the Warwolf can't take advantage of the incredible efficiencies of Clan energy weapons and it suffers in comparison to other Clan designs as a result.

For example, if the Warwolf Prime shed five tons of pod mass for five more fixed freezers, those 30 heat points could support two, heat-neutral ER PPCs in place of the one Gauss cannon that the Warwolf sports.  Exchange the two tons of Gauss ammo for two more freezers (34 heat points total) and the Warwolf Prime could alpha strike its two ER PPCs and its two LRM-10s without negative heat effects.  Lose the TAG and/or AMS for another freezer or two and the Warwolf could alpha strike while moving without negative heat effects.

A nearly heat neutral alpha strike of dual ER PPCs guided by a targeting computer and 20 LRMs would be more than a match for the T-wolf, especially with the Warwolf's armor negating the T-wolf's missiles.  But without more fixed freezers, the Warwolf is forced to employ less efficient ballistic- and missile-heavy loadouts that can't really hope to measure up to the T-wolf.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2014, 21:36:02 »
What really annoys me is that the Wolves somehow always gets cool looking totem themed Mechs, while the Bears are pretty much hit and miss.  The Bruin is IMO the best looking Ghost Bear mech, followed by some interpretations of the Kodiak.   The Karhu would look OK if it lost the skull motiff, but the rest of the Bear Mechs just seem butt ugly to me.  The Bears really need to issue a trial of possession for the Wolf design team so they can get about designing decent looking totem Mechs, someone who could take the best aspects of the Bruin, Kodiak and Karhu and put them in a decent spread of Light to Assault class Mech designs.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2014, 22:08:14 »
I've always liked the Grizzly, why the Warwolf caught my attention in the first place.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2014, 23:41:33 »
Skulls have been a motif for the Bears for a while . . . but I will grant, the Wolves developed a lot of canine faces with MWDA.  Even the Carnivore has a bit of it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2014, 00:17:36 »
I admit to being biased, having been the brain child for the MUL.

That said, with the MUL you type in the unit name, let's say the Dervish. The search result brings up every variant of the Dervish and gives you weight, BV (if a Record Sheet exists), cost (if known), what TRO/RS it is in, what Rules level, what ERA, and what intro date. The only thing the search results doesn't give is faction. All of this is in a single table format.

Sarna, on the other hand, gives you the complete entry for the Dervish. You find the original versions BV in the right hand stats column and the BV for all the other variants at the end of the text paragraph for that variant.

A further issue with Sarna, is that it is difficult to if the variant's are canon or not. Sarna has been known to document versions from canon sources that are not canon or are incorrect based on trying to decipher a non-TRO reference.

And finally, Sarna doesn't always list all the variants of the design. In the case of the Dervish, the unique version "Mauck" is not on Sarna.

Again, I fully admit to being biased. I'm a Catalyst Freelancer and I came up with the idea for the MUL.

I love the MUL, and I'm not a fan of Sarna's errors.  But that said, I find the 2 together are a great combo, because Sarna gives me a brief description of the variant where the MUL leaves me wondering what it carries.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2014, 00:18:43 »
I love the MUL, and I'm not a fan of Sarna's errors.  But that said, I find the 2 together are a great combo, because Sarna gives me a brief description of the variant where the MUL leaves me wondering what it carries.

Great feedback, thanks.
-Joel BC-

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2014, 11:21:38 »
I like the Warwolf's art, but like so many mechs introduced under ClickyTech, the Warwolf suffers from a substantial design drawback.  This was touched on in the article, but to emphasize, the decision to not take advantage of the Warwolf's big engine by fixing more freezers than the minimum ten really weakens this omni's configurations.  With only 20 heat points, the Warwolf can't take advantage of the incredible efficiencies of Clan energy weapons and it suffers in comparison to other Clan designs as a result.

For example, if the Warwolf Prime shed five tons of pod mass for five more fixed freezers, those 30 heat points could support two, heat-neutral ER PPCs in place of the one Gauss cannon that the Warwolf sports.  Exchange the two tons of Gauss ammo for two more freezers (34 heat points total) and the Warwolf Prime could alpha strike its two ER PPCs and its two LRM-10s without negative heat effects.  Lose the TAG and/or AMS for another freezer or two and the Warwolf could alpha strike while moving without negative heat effects.

A nearly heat neutral alpha strike of dual ER PPCs guided by a targeting computer and 20 LRMs would be more than a match for the T-wolf, especially with the Warwolf's armor negating the T-wolf's missiles.  But without more fixed freezers, the Warwolf is forced to employ less efficient ballistic- and missile-heavy loadouts that can't really hope to measure up to the T-wolf.

Thus you create an optimized designed and why use anything else. Then we get in RL efficiency models and not battletech. I prefer a gimped designed for play (though I have made min/maxed and they are fun for a time or two.)
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #26 on: 10 January 2014, 12:36:37 »
Thus you create an optimized designed and why use anything else.

That is the point for me.  The Wolves already have an optimized design in the Timberwolf.  Unless the Clans totally lost the ability to manufacture T-wolves (unclear but possible), the Warwolf, as designed, makes little sense in-universe and no sense out-of-universe.  It loses too much of the T-wolf's firepower for a marginal increase in armor and no appreciable change in speed or cost (and a huge cost in BV).  Without changing the design as I outlined or telling me that I no longer have access to T-wolves as part of the scenario, I would choose a T-wolf over a W-wolf, every time.  (I mean, heck, if I'm really worried about the arty or LRM bombardment that supposedly drove the W-wolf's reactive armor, I'll just slap modular armor and maybe a supercharger or jump jets on my T-wolf.)

I agree that progress in military systems is not always a linear process.  But the constraints imposed by these old ClickyTech designs make too many steps backwards on too many fronts for my tastes.  I have a hard time believing that Clan scientists/techs have not realized or have forgotten the efficiencies of their energy weapons and freezers, especially after a century or so of T-wolf experience.  And I'd rather precious tournament-level TRO and RS page-counts go towards top-notch designs and not be littered with suboptimal choices like the W-wolf that I'd rarely, if ever, use.  (Though, again, I understand that there was little that could be done this go-around given the constraints imposed by the history of various defective ClickyTech designs.)

Don't get me wrong.  The W-wolf is an okay Clan heavy omni.  But given its predecessors and competition, it should have been a lot better than okay.

My 2 Kerenskies... YMMV.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2014, 12:38:15 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 10 January 2014, 13:39:28 »
What really annoys me is that the Wolves somehow always gets cool looking totem themed Mechs, while the Bears are pretty much hit and miss.  The Bruin is IMO the best looking Ghost Bear mech, followed by some interpretations of the Kodiak.   The Karhu would look OK if it lost the skull motiff, but the rest of the Bear Mechs just seem butt ugly to me.  The Bears really need to issue a trial of possession for the Wolf design team so they can get about designing decent looking totem Mechs, someone who could take the best aspects of the Bruin, Kodiak and Karhu and put them in a decent spread of Light to Assault class Mech designs.
I really like the looks of the Karhu, that was one of my favorite pieces of art from TRO3085.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #28 on: 10 January 2014, 13:41:58 »
I really like the looks of the Karhu, that was one of my favorite pieces of art from TRO3085.

I like everything about it except the skulls, and honestly it wasn't too bad in the art and became the focal point of the miniature :(

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #29 on: 10 January 2014, 19:12:07 »
Well, seeing how the art was based on this:

The skulls were meant to be the focal point of the design.
I have spoken.

Register