Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Warwolf  (Read 26401 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Warwolf
« Reply #60 on: 17 September 2018, 14:47:22 »
A lot of them are crap b/c of the MWDA versions . . . I would like to see one embrace the Empire's mixed tech . . . give me one with a IS RAC/5 or Plasma Rifle, or other weapons that the IS builds that perform better than Clan weapons.  I also think b/c of its armor type, it might be a good mid- or short range fighter- but due to weight/crits IIRC its loads are going to look a lot like the Timberwolf.
The only MWDA version is the Prime. As a long term MWDA player we wondered for a while if it was an Omni or not.

Why go mixed tech? A Clan UAC/10 and a DHS weighs the same as a Clan RAC/5. Since these are fluffed as having a wide variety of pod layouts unique to the ristars piloting them, I'd go Pariah/Septicemia B-style, 7 IJJ, 2xLPLs, and some secondary weapons. But let's not get too far into customs.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #61 on: 17 September 2018, 15:30:25 »
I got out before the Wolf expansion really hit, so I just knew that most Omni variants of MWDA mechs relied on the dossier type information.

Mixed tech?  B/c I consider the Plasma Rifle superior to the Cannon and IIRC there is a thread in General discussing the advantages of the IS RAC over the Clan- if its as crit packed as I am remembering, that will matter.  In addition their supply of Clan tech weapons is suspect though the MSC they absorbed had a source of IS RAC/5 in addition to any salvaged.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #62 on: 17 September 2018, 17:10:13 »
I can't help but wish that the Warwolf H had used a Radical Heatsink Sytem over those coolant pods.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #63 on: 17 September 2018, 18:56:29 »
Well, now that the Wolf Empire is firmly entrenched into the IS and already experimenting with some IS designs (no, haven't read Shattered Fortress yet, no spoilers please) It's only a matter of time before new crazy configurations unless the Wolves say 'Screw it, we can do better" and make a Warwolf MKII.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 17 September 2018, 19:33:58 »
I seriously doubt they're going to come out with a replacement chassis for an omnimech they've only just put into production.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #65 on: 17 September 2018, 20:18:12 »
I can't help but wish that the Warwolf H had used a Radical Heatsink Sytem over those coolant pods.

radical heatsink system might be too new. coolant pods go back to the 3050's, at least as prototypes in both IS and clan programs, but the RHS was only introduced by the Fedsuns in 3122. the Wolves certainly would have enough info on how to make coolant pods for use, but might not know enough about RHS to build their own yet.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 17 September 2018, 22:43:23 »
There are a few other Clan mechs that use the system, though.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #67 on: 18 September 2018, 05:49:11 »
radical heatsink system might be too new. coolant pods go back to the 3050's, at least as prototypes in both IS and clan programs, but the RHS was only introduced by the Fedsuns in 3122. the Wolves certainly would have enough info on how to make coolant pods for use, but might not know enough about RHS to build their own yet.
I don't have my books with me, but I don't think RHS can be mounted like that in OmniMech. It fixed equipment, but I don't have my books with me so I can't check. :(
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #68 on: 18 September 2018, 06:56:44 »
I seriously doubt they're going to come out with a replacement chassis for an omnimech they've only just put into production.

They've done it before.

How many Tomahawks did they build before switching to the Tomahawk II?    ;)
I have spoken.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 18 September 2018, 07:22:21 »
They've done it before.

I hope ALOT, the original is much better in it's configurations than Tommy 2.  As much I like them both.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #70 on: 18 September 2018, 08:10:10 »
I don't have my books with me, but I don't think RHS can be mounted like that in OmniMech. It fixed equipment, but I don't have my books with me so I can't check. :(
Actually, according to IO, it CAN be pod mounted, but it is 4 tons, 3 crits, and MUST be mounted in a torso location. So you'd have to find 2 more tons to swap into an H.

I'm away from my files, but I remember there was enough crit space for the Clan RAC 5. The big benefit of the Clan version is the range brackets are the same as Clan LRMs, where the Clan medium range is almost as long as the IS long range.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #71 on: 18 September 2018, 21:09:47 »
I hope ALOT, the original is much better in it's configurations than Tommy 2.  As much I like them both.

Unfortunately the number was damn few.

Totally agree with you about many of the original configurations being better than the replacements.   :thumbsup:
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 18 September 2018, 21:51:58 »
They've done it before.

The Tomahawk I was never put into production, only a few prototypes were ever built.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 20 September 2018, 15:23:39 »
The Warwolf, huh? Well, I...I'm not really sure what to say about it. I don't dislike it, that's for sure. However, I feel like I WANT to like it more than I actually do. It's the little things that get me. I'm hard pressed to think of a variant or two and say, "Oh yeah, that one is my favorite for sure." Every single one seems to have SOMETHING that bugs me. Not enough to ruin the mech, but enough to make me feel itchy when I look at the record sheet. First off, there is a whole lot for me to like about the mech. 5/8 on a 75-ton mech has already got my attention. I love fast cavalry units, and that speed is a big 'ole checkbox on the good side of the ledger. Most variants have at least one big gun, and they don't go moving it all over the chassis from variant to variant like some mechs do. It even looks pretty cool. It has some new tech, but not so much it turns into a huge gimmick.

However, there is just something about each variant that bothers me. On the prime, it's the total absence of energy weapons. Seriously? Couldn't even squeeze in a small laser somewhere? Guess no one takes a Prime very far from the dropship. The A: I don't demand absolute symmetry in my mechs, but this thing has seven weapons and 6 different types of weapons. I guess you could call this a generalist or jack-of-all-trades variant, but only because it is too scattered in the loadout to do anything else. This variant needs to hurry up and figure out what it wants to be when it grows up. The B: Where are the rest of the guns? 75 tons and all you could fit was an Ultra 10 and large laser? Yeah, sure, it's a FANCY large laser, but it still only does 10 points of damage. I feel like the jump jets should have been put on a different variant so this one could hit harder than a middle-of-the-road medium. The C: Ok, this one is pretty good, but did we really need the TarComp? There is only one gun it helps and that one is already a pulse laser. Why not fill out the full jump-jet compliment, or have a secondary weapon or something instead? I didn't actually like the one-gun TarComp on the Prime either. It's not bad, it's just...why? The H: I get it's a clan machine but did it really need to be THAT hot? I'm OK with it running a little hot so you have a use for the coolant pods, but you basically need one each turn you fire both your lasers. It wouldn't be as big a deal if you had some other options once the pods are gone, but the mech only has three guns. Either you fire one laser and sink a bunch of extra heat, or you fire both and go rocketing up the heat scale. There is no riding the edge of the curve in this mech. You either blow past it, or don't come near it. I'm OK with mechs that have too many weapons but not enough heat to use them all, as long as I have choices about what to do with the heat sinking available...but this mech only has three guns and only two generate any real heat. There isn't much in the way of choices or options there.

It isn't that any of the variants are out and out bad, they are just quirky in ways that don't make a whole lot of sense to me, or that bother me. I don't need every mech to be optimized, but I do prefer it when they are bad for a good reason. Like the Hunchback 5N. It is disgustingly over-heat sinked. It can take two engine hits, run, and alpha strike, and still not accumulate any heat. There are a wide variety of ways it could better use tonnage than all those extra heat sinks. However, it is fluffed as simply replacing the existing single heat sinks in the 4G model with doubles. There was no fancy re-engineering of the chassis, they just pulled the old sinks out and slapped new ones in because it was all brand new and no one knew exactly what they were doing. It is bad, but bad for a good reason, or at least an interesting one. The Warwolf's less than optimal choices just don't work for me. They don't seem to have a cool fluff explanation, and I'm hard pressed to come up with fluff explanations on my own that I'm satisfied with.

Also, the mini stands up way too tall! It doesn't have that crouched stance from the art, and I haven't yet felt the urge to cut apart the legs on one and try to 'fix' it!

Perhaps the strangest part is that I actually love this thing in Alpha Strike. Once you meld all the stats together and hide some of the rough edges behind abstraction, this thing turns into a real solid heavy. Virtually every complaint I have disappears when you switch to Alpha Strike. Move 10"/6"j is still annoying, but other than that it's all good. I guess that is really the heart of how I feel: I like the summary of the mech better than the details of the mech!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 20 September 2018, 17:48:47 »
Prime: 16 turns of gauss fire and 12 turns of LRMs isn't exactly running low on ammo (and I note with some amusement a one-gun targeting computer here, too. ;) )

A: ER PPC + ER Large + Streak LRM-10 at long range (+5 heat on a run if the Streak locks, +1 if it doesn't), switch to Big Energy + 2x MPL + Streak SRM-6 at short range (mixing up the ER Large and ER PPC depending on whether the target is at exactly 8 hexes or if it's 7 or closer or heat permitting; -2 on a run with the ER Large, +1 with the ER PPC).  It may have a bunch of guns, but it's not struggling to get them to work together.

B: ER Pulse Lasers are bad, but three 10-point hits isn't anything to ignore and it runs cool even on a jumping alpha (-1).  It has enough ammo to actually use the UAC/10, too.

C: LPL + TC backed up by a pair of big ATM racks is a match made in heaven.

H: Firing pattern is 2-1-1.  Closing, use the Gauss.  When you get in range of the iHLLs, fire just one until you get to medium range.  You've got Coolant Pods for the first couple shots, then after that you drop the Gauss and fire both iHLLs (+12 heat), then leave one out but put the Gauss back in (-5; down to +7) for a couple turns, getting down to +2 after two turns.  Save the two-shot for a sure thing and you'll make anything hurt.  The Supercharger will keep you moving relatively quickly even when you're running hot.

I actually really like the Warwolf, conceptually, because the Reactive armor makes it insufferably good against missiles and artillery, which is a significant portion of what one of these things is going to encounter on the close.  Most of the armaments function very well at close range, and the one that doesn't is full of meaty hits to open up holes.  It's a commander's ride, designed to keep them in action even against hostile artillery - and the Wolves can expect to face a lot of that between the FWL (known for its use of LRMs and combined arms), the Republic (Centaur BA, anyone?), the Lyrans, and the Falcons.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 23 September 2018, 08:14:23 »
Are there any quirks assigned to the Warwolf?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #76 on: 23 September 2018, 08:19:48 »
Are there any quirks assigned to the Warwolf?

Ruger
Nope.

I check TRO: 3145 & Clan PDF version, and BattleMech Manual.  No design quirks assigned.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #77 on: 23 September 2018, 08:33:47 »
Nope.

I check TRO: 3145 & Clan PDF version, and BattleMech Manual.  No design quirks assigned.

Yeah, I had the TRO and BMM, but don't have the PDF...wasn't sure if there was anything else out there that might have mentioned it...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who