Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157808 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #750 on: 24 July 2018, 14:28:43 »
I really wonder, WHY SST2 and 3, had such a low budget, compared to #1...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #751 on: 24 July 2018, 15:01:58 »
I really wonder, WHY SST2 and 3, had such a low budget, compared to #1...

Because Starship Troopers 1 didn't make enough money, but the studio still had the rights. So direct-to-DVD to suck up the few dollars they could.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #752 on: 24 July 2018, 16:57:50 »
I believe ST1 was enough of a failure that they put it to bed

But the VFX guy Phil Tippett was enough of a believer in Verhoeven's version of ST that he did ST2. The low budget is exactly why the plot and setting is so tightly focused. They could not afford any firearms or physical effects.

Years later the studio somehow finally gave in to Casper Van Dien's constant haranguing, and made ST3, probably on an even lower budget... or at least it looks that way (can you tell I really hate that film? ::) )

and lord I hope that's the last of that

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #753 on: 24 July 2018, 19:45:27 »
ST3 was ok, it wasn't great, but it wasn't a pile of turd. Just the God-Planet bug was a little to much for me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #754 on: 25 July 2018, 00:06:47 »
Rotten tomatoes puts SST3 above 2 in populatity. 
Based off of Boxoffice mojo,
SST1 cost 105 mil to make, grossed 54.8 mil at the box office, and has an adjusted worldwide gross of 121 mil..  Just barely 24 mil over cost.
However, i can't seem to find SST 2 or 3 on the site...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #755 on: 25 July 2018, 01:20:26 »
Since they were direct-to-video, the studio might not have released the info.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #756 on: 25 July 2018, 02:19:15 »
Something I don't get. ST1 was to me always super-campy B-list action/horror schlock that you basically only watched to see bugs chomping people and people shooting bugs. Now though there are 'hindsight' reviews proclaiming Verhoeven to be a satirical genius disguising social commentary as, well, super-campy B-list action/horror schlock. And thus decrying the rest of the series as such, compared to the"brilliant satire" of the first.

What the foxtrot? Am I missing something, or are these reviewers kind of grasping at straws with rose-tinted 20/20 goggles on?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #757 on: 25 July 2018, 11:20:41 »
This is always a funny video that Ive watched about Starship Troopers. Take note if your ever invade a planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TzAxL-O43w
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #758 on: 25 July 2018, 11:41:02 »
What the foxtrot? Am I missing something, or are these reviewers kind of grasping at straws with rose-tinted 20/20 goggles on?

If the social commentary wasn't obvious to anyone until years after the film came out, chances are it's grasping at straws.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #759 on: 25 July 2018, 12:42:48 »
Something I don't get. ST1 was to me always super-campy B-list action/horror schlock that you basically only watched to see bugs chomping people and people shooting bugs. Now though there are 'hindsight' reviews proclaiming Verhoeven to be a satirical genius disguising social commentary as, well, super-campy B-list action/horror schlock. And thus decrying the rest of the series as such, compared to the"brilliant satire" of the first.

I just read Roger Ebert's original review from 1997 and he refers to the level of "sly satire."  You don't get much more mainstream than Roge, so I don't think it went over most people's head.  My glasses may be rose-tinted to a degree, looking back 21 years, but I remember thinking it was a satire of commercials and CNN culture similar what he did in Robocop ten years earlier.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #760 on: 25 July 2018, 12:54:02 »
Season One of Ash vs the Evil Dead.  Groovy!  A great love letter to Evil Dead 2, it has been a mixed bag so far, but some outstanding episodes mixed with really good one (and a few not so good). Nice to see other directors playing in Raimi's playground as well.  And I love Bruce Campbell, but Ray Santiago and Dana DeLorenzo own this show.  They are a joy, both playing off each other and off Bruce.  Great casting all around, especially Lucy Lawless, who has been more a long running cameo so far.  The CGI is expected with the shooting schedule and budget of a weekly 30-min show (which seems a perfect length, really,) but the occasional practical effects are outstanding.  I am only half way through the first season, but it has been a fun ride.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #761 on: 25 July 2018, 15:38:07 »

A little of column A, a little of column B. If you've ever read the original Heinlein novel, you'll quickly note that it's completely different in tone from the films. Verhoeven tried to read the book, but found its pro-military stance and the "service for citizenship" to be far too reminiscent of World War II Germany. (He grew up in The Hague, the seat of the German occupation of the Netherlands, during the war.) He was firmly into doing subtle satires of America by this point - both Robocop and Showgirls were meant to be digs at American hypocrisy - and in a very real way Starship Troopers completed a virtual trilogy. Those of us who remember just how weird things got during the 1993 war with Iraq should be able to see his points, even if we disagree with them.

Of course, Heinlein never meant his novel to be social commentary. He wrote it in response to cutbacks in military research, and the book is purely meant to show off the potential that technology could offer, with every infantryman in a nuke-wielding, armored battlesuit. Starship Troopers is widely considered the origin of the mecha genre, and to this day various militaries around the world have continued to try to reproduce his vision of powered armor. The rest of the novel - the social backgound - was meant to be the barest sketch of a world, one very different from his next major novel: the hippie classic Stranger in a Strange Land.

The use of fifty-year old novels and twenty-year old movies as social commentary on today strikes me as bemusing. It's roughly the equivalent of claiming that the Simpsons predicted basically everything that's happened over that show's multiple-decade run. But hey, it's easy to take an old science fiction movie and point to whatever the authors guessed correctly. Got to produce the content, after all.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #762 on: 25 July 2018, 16:29:37 »
The use of fifty-year old novels and twenty-year old movies as social commentary on today strikes me as bemusing. It's roughly the equivalent of claiming that the Simpsons predicted basically everything that's happened over that show's multiple-decade run. But hey, it's easy to take an old science fiction movie and point to whatever the authors guessed correctly. Got to produce the content, after all.

Especially when you're looking at a body of work that's as large as Heinlein's.  I think of the sci-fi writers of that era, only Asimov beat him in productivity.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #763 on: 25 July 2018, 17:48:19 »
He was firmly into doing subtle satires of America by this point - both Robocop and Showgirls were meant to be digs at American hypocrisy - and in a very real way Starship Troopers completed a virtual trilogy.
Maybe its the 90s vibe, but I'm not that impressed with the supposed satirical nature of ST1... or maybe I prefer my satire played straight.
Of course, Heinlein never meant his novel to be social commentary. He wrote it in response to cutbacks in military research, and the book is purely meant to show off the potential that technology could offer, with every infantryman in a nuke-wielding, armored battlesuit.
Huh. Now I'm turned around and upside-down - Heinlein the military action man, and Verhoeven the social satirist?!

Nah, all that guff he wrote about government and rights and so on must have had an intended point. Though it strikes me that he was overly pleased with himself about the merits of his MI logistics and command structure - it's not really as workable as he makes it seem.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #764 on: 25 July 2018, 19:15:09 »
Nah, all that guff he wrote about government and rights and so on must have had an intended point.

I really doubt it, unless a certain exchange in the book is meant to be important. A teacher asks his class why they live in a society where service to the state is required for citizenship. A brown-nosing student says that it's because it's a perfect system. The teacher shoots him down, saying that the system merely works, and isn't any better than anything else tried before. Perhaps Heinlein was subtly trying to get readers to think of the other cultures he'd presented, some of which were - quite openly - his idea of utopia. (See For Us, the Living if you want to be preached at for a couple hundred pages, though Heinlein did strike on the primary use of the internet long before anyone thought of it: looking at naked women.)

Though it strikes me that he was overly pleased with himself about the merits of his MI logistics and command structure - it's not really as workable as he makes it seem.

It's absolutely unworkable. Maintenance, logistics, administration, and other jobs are important and should be participated in by the troops, but the primary task for a soldier is training. If a trooper has to leave early to cook dinner for everyone, you've got neither a good infantryman nor a good cook. The entire reason staff officers exist is because there is no way you can have even a mid-level commander actively fighting and keeping track of the battle as a whole. But Heinlein seems to have wink-winked that as well; the Mobile Infantry might claim to handle all their own tasks, but it sure seemed like it was the Navy carting them around, making sure they were fed, and keeping their gear working.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #765 on: 25 July 2018, 19:32:42 »
Heinlein did put the theme that a Real Man is an omnidisciplinarian who excels at every single task in a lot of his books.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #766 on: 25 July 2018, 20:10:17 »
Heinlein did put the theme that a Real Man is an omnidisciplinarian who excels at every single task in a lot of his books.

A fit, handsome one at that. Of course, Isaac Asimov's main complaint about Heinlein was that RAH, in real life, was a fit, handsome omnidisciplinarian who excelled at every task. :D

But I think we've drifted this thread enough. ;)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #767 on: 25 July 2018, 20:32:22 »
Just got a copy of the new BluRay combo of "platoon leader" and "Soldier Boyz".

Soldier Boyz is basically shameless badfic; a team of mixed gang-banger inmates have to go on a commando reason for ...reasons...and learn to trust and respect eachother despite their differences.

But Platoon Leader is one of my favourite war movies ever (the book is good too).

Not a huge fan of Micheal Dudikopf, but he's okay.

Also picked up the last Adam West Batman animated movie; Batman & Robin Vs Twoface.

I have a good weekend coming!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #768 on: 28 July 2018, 01:52:15 »
Ready Player One- meh. I dont think Spielberg has made a good movie since Munich. He reminds me of De Niro, who's just cashing in his checks nowadays. 4.5/10

A Quiet Place- everyone was raving about this, but I thought it was meh. So many plot holes. 5/10

The Death of Stalin- an all star cast but I didn't laugh even once. 1/10

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #769 on: 28 July 2018, 12:54:29 »
Just watched 'Princess Mononoke', had never seen it before

ST3 was ok, it wasn't great, but it wasn't a pile of turd. Just the God-Planet bug was a little to much for me.

As a single entity, it would have been better as a centralized brain that is fed by various plants, plus vegetarian critters that eat all they can and walk into one of the creature's many mouths to be consumed.  Waste disposal would also be an issue to be solved

The final version of it would be an organic version of solar panels and computer.  Any legs/mouth/digestive system would be vestigial at that point.

At least it was destroyed by the new human superweapon

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #770 on: 28 July 2018, 13:27:58 »
Just watched 'Princess Mononoke', had never seen it before

Nice.  Dubbed or Subbed version?  I recommend watching the other version just to compare the two.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #771 on: 28 July 2018, 14:56:36 »
Not a huge fan of Micheal Dudikopf, but he's okay.

I've always seen Dudikopf as barely qualifying as a B'lister.. 

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #772 on: 30 July 2018, 11:35:52 »
Caught Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom this weekend.  Visually it was great, but it was also the stupidest film I have seen in some time, and I binge-watched the first five Resident Evil movies on Friday.  (Also found that watching the Resident Evil films back to back has them make even less sense than they do already.)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #773 on: 30 July 2018, 14:27:30 »
Caught Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom this weekend.  Visually it was great, but it was also the stupidest film I have seen in some time, and I binge-watched the first five Resident Evil movies on Friday.  (Also found that watching the Resident Evil films back to back has them make even less sense than they do already.)

For me the first 3 resident evil's were good, i might even say great.  THEN they fast went downhill in stupidity..

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #774 on: 30 July 2018, 21:12:30 »
Teen Titans Go to the Movies was entertaining.  Did feel like they were borrowing alot from the current successful film houses, Pixar, Marvel, Fox.  Definately something for kids, and lots of neat cameos.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #775 on: 31 July 2018, 00:04:41 »
I finally watched Star Wars VIII, and enjoyed it. Part of my enjoyment was seeing it on my own TV; I've not owned a proper television for over a decade.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #776 on: 31 July 2018, 00:47:59 »
Caught an oldie tonight..  Black dog, with patrick swazye, Meatloaf and Randy travis...    Still a good watch.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #777 on: 31 July 2018, 02:47:11 »
Rewatched Rogue One, and decided I might even promote it to 3rd Favourite over A New Hope (blasphemy?!).

I noticed something both R1 and Avengers Infinity War have in common, is that both are McGuffin action films when they might have been done better as character films, which both ESB and Avengers 1 really are. Lots of breathless action but minimal character development... Well at least there was some for R1 but Infinity was just all action.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #778 on: 31 July 2018, 06:13:45 »
Flying back to Canada so had time to watch a few movies on the plane. Only really good one was "The Death of Stalin", very dryly, Blackley humorous, with Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, Michael Palin (Monty Python) as Molotov and Jason Isaacs absolutely stealing the movie as Marshal Zhukov.

Highly recommend it!

Edit: Definitely do NOT recommend flying with Air Canada though. 6 hours late leaving airport, diverted to Vancouver where we had to wait 2 hours, missed our connection so rebooked onto a flight leaving 6 hours later, and now THAT flight has been delayed 30 minutes. A nightmare worthy of Stalinist Russia.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 06:15:53 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #779 on: 01 August 2018, 18:35:43 »
Went and saw The Equaliser 2 this weekend. It was good-ish. Action packed. Unfortunately all of these "lone killer" movies are following the same formula. John Wick, Reacher, the Accountant, the many faces of Bourne. It's fun watching them effortlessly kick butt, however the scripts are virtually interchangeable... no truly new exciting, stories involved. I'm starting to think Deadpool is the most original story in this style in years... 😂
I'd rent it and order a pizza, but not really worth theater prices...