Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157813 times)

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #840 on: 27 October 2018, 12:59:34 »
First Man- the space scenes are great, but when it comes to the rest of the stuff its underwhelming. A lot of stuff on Armstrong's life was taken out, and the scenes that were left in felt somewhat lacking. Gosling plays him like a robot, even to his own family. All in all, still a recommendation, but with caveats. 7/10

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #841 on: 27 October 2018, 16:46:59 »
Just saw Jurissac World 2. It was lacking in the fun Dino movie that the first one had. Kinda thought it was boring for a good half of the movie
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #842 on: 27 October 2018, 18:44:20 »
Yeah, it was good only in scenes where dinosaurs were eating people.  Scenes when dinosaurs were not eating people were boring.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #843 on: 19 November 2018, 17:35:49 »
Ready Player One.  Finally got around to Redboxing it.  Hated the book. Really, really hated the book, but enjoyed the movie.  A lot of what I found annoying, distasteful, and offensive in the book was mostly removed for the film.  The info dumps were gone; the challenges were no longer so anti-creative; the the instant love relationship between Parzival and Art3mis was shallow, but lost the incredibly creepy stalker vibe it had in the book, not to mention the "you are not the prize in a game" while completely making her the prize in the game.  Improvements all the way around.  I may buy it just to freeze frame all of the references next. 

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #844 on: 26 November 2018, 00:28:51 »
Finally watched Iron Sky.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #845 on: 26 November 2018, 01:01:36 »
Rewatched John Wick 2.  Man did i laugh at the scene where he met with that armory guy.. 
"Do you have something robust"
What about desert!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #846 on: 26 November 2018, 04:56:22 »
I just saw John Wick 2. IT was good but not as good as the first.
Just a question?? Is everyone in NYC a secret assassin?? They seem to be the largest employer there. It was a cool shot when all of them looked at John Wick at the same time in Central Park.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #847 on: 26 November 2018, 05:14:34 »
I just saw John Wick 2. IT was good but not as good as the first.
Just a question?? Is everyone in NYC a secret assassin?? They seem to be the largest employer there. It was a cool shot when all of them looked at John Wick at the same time in Central Park.

I think they are just the ones Winston asked to come along, he's the careful type and would have bought enough to kill John outright. Maybe. :)

I just finished Antman and the Wasp, it was entertaining, the tie into Infinity War was great, but I found a few sections of it quite boring and other repetitive.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #848 on: 26 November 2018, 07:25:07 »
I didn't get on the John Wick hype train until recently either, which I deeply regret as Ian McShane is 1 of my favourite actors. The whole "secret society of assassin hotels" thing is already so awesome, but Winston really classes it up.

The bit when Winston met John? That was Winston filling the whole meeting place with his people, or at least people employed by him, to make a private and secure location appear the opposite.

The bit at the end when John began running? Probably many of Winston's people lounging around, plus agents of other interested parties like Morphe the Bowery King (same beggar dude as before), plus independents just sniffing around.

It's not surprising there'd be lots of assassins living near or transiting NYC if the operations center is located there, though of course like any good ye olde worlde European corporation, the Council heads seem to spend their time in the Continent.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #849 on: 26 November 2018, 15:35:24 »
Though in both Wick 1 and 2, i always wondered "Where the hell were the cops"??

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #850 on: 26 November 2018, 17:21:44 »
Though in both Wick 1 and 2, i always wondered "Where the hell were the cops"??
They showed up.  In 1, it was for a "noise complaint" and in 2, it was when his house blew up (gas leak). Same cop both times--Jimmy. Both times he asked if John was working again, indicating either Jimmy was on the payroll or he at least knew what Wick was and chose to not push the issue for whatever reason. The scenes are on Youtube, I can't link them here due to copyright issues and all that.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #851 on: 26 November 2018, 21:50:55 »
First Man was pretty good, even though it struck me as a sequel to The Right Stuff.

Tonight, I'm watching Gettysburg with my dad.  Not bad though its a little long.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #852 on: 27 November 2018, 01:37:25 »
Watched the "Ballad of Buster Scruggs" and "Outlaw King" on Netflix recently.

Outlaw King is like a Game of Thrones prequel--It's got the same gritty tone, and even a lot of the same actors: Jeor Mormont, Brynden Tully and best of all, Stannis the Mannis as the English king Edward I. It's about the rebellion of Robert the Bruce of Scotland against the English, and the beginning overlaps chronologically with the end of Mel Gibson's Braveheart.

There's a lot to like about it, great cinematography, great set and costume design, a lot of good performances (though Chris Pine overdoes the quiet brooding shtick I think)--my only complaint is that it blitzes through the opening set up, so you're never really sure why the people are doing the things they're doing.  Like, why is Chris the Bruce rebelling? Couldn't tell you. Why does his English noblewoman wife support him? Again, I got nuthin'. Which is a shame like I say, because there's so much here that's so good. Plus, Stannis as our one true and rightful king.

My full yapping about it here: https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2018/11/outlaw-king.html

And then for something completely different: Buster Scruggs. It's an anthology of six westerns, by the Coen brothers of Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou? and No Country For Old Men fame. Enjoyable if uneven. More about life in the West than a 'cowboy movie' kind of Western. There's too much cowboy singing for my taste, but again there's some great performances, include James Franco as a bank robber (when about to be hung, quips to the sobbing condemned man next to him: First time?) singer Tom Waits as a prospector, and Liam Neeson as a guy with a traveling storyteller. Humor tends to be of the black and oddball variety, but there are one or two stories here that were really enjoyable.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #853 on: 27 November 2018, 03:59:02 »
They showed up.  In 1, it was for a "noise complaint" and in 2, it was when his house blew up (gas leak). Same cop both times--Jimmy. Both times he asked if John was working again, indicating either Jimmy was on the payroll or he at least knew what Wick was and chose to not push the issue for whatever reason. The scenes are on Youtube, I can't link them here due to copyright issues and all that.

From the director: The police and the assassins have an "understanding" of sorts. It's a professional courtesy thing, where the police will look the other way provided the assassins stay on their side of the line. It actually works in the cops favour, since if a murderer or serial killer is running around, the assassins will deal with them in their own way. The cops know that by and large no one would put a contract out on an innocent party, so if an assassin gets you, you probably deserved it.

It's horrendously unrealistic, but fun.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #854 on: 27 November 2018, 15:08:51 »

I was more on about during all the car chases or fight scenes..

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #855 on: 29 November 2018, 17:48:36 »
Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.  Don't get me wrong, I like bad horror movies. (I love Black Sheep.)  I like stupid horror films (did I mention Black Sheep?) But this one...  I don't consider the series to be a classic even of b-movie horror, but it was a cheesy, goofy attempt at making a bunch of murderous dolls murder people.  Haven't watched any of them in a dozen years, but didn't hate them.  This movie I hated.

First of all, it s a reboot into a parallel universe where we go from the titular Puppet Master change from surviving the Holocaust and fighting Nazis to being a Nazi. (Oh, Udo Kier, if you needed money, I would lend you some!)  Secondly, this seemed more like a Troma film: cheaper looking, even less logic, and far, far nastier for the point of being nastier.   I don't walk out of theaters or stop movies at home.  This one, I stopped.  Horrible little film with little to redeem it.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2018, 17:50:07 by Banzai »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #856 on: 29 November 2018, 23:37:33 »
Thinking of getting that 'sci-fi' film Kin this weekend..  Anyone seen it?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #857 on: 09 December 2018, 11:54:23 »
Watched Tag with the wife, and it was absurd but a hell of a lot of fun. So much homage to Predator at the golf course. ;D Would watch again.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #858 on: 13 December 2018, 18:14:19 »
Rare Imports: A Christmas Tale is a Christmas-themed horror film done right.  Good job, Finland!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #859 on: 15 December 2018, 23:43:09 »
Another family movie night with daddy-o...

Tonight we watched Rounders, because we love poker in general.  And Edward Norton is a can't miss actor most occasions.

Not so much the irresponsible gambling, though.  That's a problem, but the movie was still ok.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #860 on: 16 December 2018, 01:09:09 »
Luc Besson needs to watch Aquaman and take notes about how a story can mesh with fantastic creature and architecture elements.

There were some distractions, Mera was a touch too close to another superhero redhead for my taste, as well as someone else's origin story which made sense but felt off.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #861 on: 19 December 2018, 10:42:26 »
Here is a weird one for you that I already struck out with at the source.

1980s-era docu-toy commercial for Tomy products.

A little girl sends her two Tomy Wind-ups back to the factory in Japan for some reason where they have some crazy adventures and then get to interview one of the senior engineers/designers before being shipped home.

Live action with extensive voice-overs and stop-motion, I expect.

I just thought of it the other day while re-watching Robin Williams "Toys" (Don't) and emailed the company about it, but it is beyond institutional memory over there.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #862 on: 25 December 2018, 00:23:39 »
Finally saw the Bumblebee movie and it was a Christmas miracle.  TTBT, it's a hell lot better than the ones that Michael Bay put out.  It's a good action flick :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #863 on: 25 December 2018, 00:35:28 »
I watched Fat Man and Little Boy tonight.  A partly fictionalized account of the Manhattan Project that was fairly well done.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #864 on: 25 December 2018, 00:59:48 »
Finally saw the Bumblebee movie and it was a Christmas miracle.  TTBT, it's a hell lot better than the ones that Michael Bay put out.  It's a good action flick :)

Technically it's still a Bay film, he just didn't direct it.

But the big question is: how much Stan Bush music is in it?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #865 on: 25 December 2018, 01:57:52 »
Hmm.   Might have to see B/bee in the theater then.  That is the 3rd 'great" comment i've heard.  No negatives yet.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #866 on: 25 December 2018, 18:26:56 »
I watched They Were Expendable. That's the movie that made me think PT Boats were so cool when I was a kid.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #867 on: 25 December 2018, 18:50:08 »
At the relatives, and they've got Home Alone on.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #868 on: 26 December 2018, 15:55:48 »
Just saw Bumblebee.  Lots of cringey 80s moments, and the humor was hit or miss with me, but they did the Transformers right. 

Still not happy with the fact they kept the loss of Bee voicebox from the recent films, and the humans look like they they won't return, hopefully.   Not a fan of Cena and Hailee was good in her part but I couldn't really warm up to her.

The Cybertron scenes were great, and had a neat mix of comic feel and cinematic detail, as well as form and even voice accurate parts.  Worth watching for that alone.

Definately worth seeing. 

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #869 on: 29 December 2018, 07:59:14 »
I must be on a John Wayne war movie kick; just watched Back to Bataan.

Register