Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 155998 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #780 on: 01 August 2018, 23:20:12 »
Went and saw The Equaliser 2 this weekend. It was good-ish. Action packed. Unfortunately all of these "lone killer" movies are following the same formula. John Wick, Reacher, the Accountant, the many faces of Bourne. It's fun watching them effortlessly kick butt, however the scripts are virtually interchangeable... no truly new exciting, stories involved. I'm starting to think Deadpool is the most original story in this style in years... 😂
I'd rent it and order a pizza, but not really worth theater prices...

So it was at least worth seeing..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #781 on: 01 August 2018, 23:53:11 »
Went and saw The Equaliser 2 this weekend. It was good-ish. Action packed. Unfortunately all of these "lone killer" movies are following the same formula. John Wick, Reacher, the Accountant, the many faces of Bourne. It's fun watching them effortlessly kick butt, however the scripts are virtually interchangeable... no truly new exciting, stories involved. I'm starting to think Deadpool is the most original story in this style in years... 😂
I'd rent it and order a pizza, but not really worth theater prices...
In other words, no real change since Charlie Bronson then

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #782 on: 02 August 2018, 03:19:52 »
Watched Black Hawk Down last week.  Here was a case where I actually thought the movie was better than the book.  Not going to get into why, because the conversation would move too close toward politics.

I also watched The Road Warrior.  That got me to remembering all the discussions here about 3025 era and the "Mad Max" quality of that timeline.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #783 on: 02 August 2018, 05:12:06 »
I also watched The Road Warrior.  That got me to remembering all the discussions here about 3025 era and the "Mad Max" quality of that timeline.

Amusingly, I think that Fury Road comes closer to what I picture as the feel of the original Battledroids. Immortan Joe and his brothers are Successor Warlords writ small, while Lord Humongous was a roving pirate. In addition, while the vehicles of The Road Warrior are one-offs, those in the latest film - while varied in form - fall into classes with defined functions.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #784 on: 02 August 2018, 08:02:46 »
Amusingly, I think that Fury Road comes closer to what I picture as the feel of the original Battledroids. Immortan Joe and his brothers are Successor Warlords writ small, while Lord Humongous was a roving pirate. In addition, while the vehicles of The Road Warrior are one-offs, those in the latest film - while varied in form - fall into classes with defined functions.

Fury Road is more like 3SW, Mad Max is more like the period between the SLDF leaving and 1SW. Mad Max was set in the period when law and order were breaking down and the veneer of humanity was being stripped away, whereas Fury Road was set while petty warlords were slowly building their power bases, something that would eventually lead to civilisation returning.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #785 on: 02 August 2018, 08:05:40 »
Fury Road is just another day in the outer Periphery. Max is really an ex-Colonial Marshal drifter now walking the earth and finding purpose. They film using cars because Mechs were expensive.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #786 on: 15 August 2018, 21:10:35 »
The Godfather - A great movie, a classic.

The Godfather II - Surpasses the original, a great example of a rare sequel that goes beyond the mark set by the original first film.

The Godfather III - What the hell were the writers thinking?  They're cousins, what kind of crap writing is that?  I wish I never even saw the film. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #787 on: 16 August 2018, 00:22:03 »
Caught a pair of roman era flicks.. First was the Eagle, with Channing tatum.  Then came Centurion, with Fasbender..
Much preferred the Eagle...

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #788 on: 16 August 2018, 14:27:25 »
Got drunk and watched Stripes twice last night... I now am writing up "Hulka`s Company" a misfit last-chance Davion mech unit for screw-ups and head cases, lead by a hard ass veteran instructor, Sgt. Hulka... oh whiskey, I both love and hate you so...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #789 on: 16 August 2018, 14:34:12 »
Got drunk and watched Stripes twice last night... I now am writing up "Hulka`s Company" a misfit last-chance Davion mech unit for screw-ups and head cases, lead by a hard ass veteran instructor, Sgt. Hulka... oh whiskey, I both love and hate you so...

I might have to take that idea, and run with it for a SW game..

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #790 on: 16 August 2018, 15:06:49 »
Caught a pair of roman era flicks.. First was the Eagle, with Channing tatum.  Then came Centurion, with Fasbender..
Much preferred the Eagle...

Hmm, I much preferred Centurion.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #791 on: 16 August 2018, 15:27:42 »
I re-watched Big Trouble in Little China before work. I still love that flick.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #792 on: 16 August 2018, 23:15:53 »
There was a rumor going around iirc the year before last, that they were going to do a remake...  Anyone hear what happened to it?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #793 on: 17 August 2018, 01:05:55 »
I re-watched Big Trouble in Little China before work. I still love that flick.
Love the film. too. Just because Jack Burton is that awesome. Might be the best film/role Kurt Russell has ever done.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #794 on: 17 August 2018, 03:20:05 »
Love the film. too. Just because Jack Burton is that awesome. Might be the best film/role Kurt Russell has ever done.

LOL, Jack Burton is the commander of my merc unit, the Clifton's Rangers, in 3067...

And yes, put me down as another that loves that movie...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #795 on: 17 August 2018, 06:06:49 »
Just watched Darkest Hour. It was good and Gary Oldman was awesome in the role, but not a lot of action and a lot of talking and yelling.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #796 on: 17 August 2018, 12:19:18 »
I wonder if the remake will be any good. Its hard to try capture the lightning twice.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #797 on: 20 August 2018, 12:34:27 »
Thankfully the remake has been dead in the water for a while, as far as I hear.  But if you are looking for more Jack Burton (and how could you not be?) check out the comics from BOOM! Studios.  Carpenter is writing the final one. https://screenrant.com/big-trouble-in-little-china-old-man-jack/

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #798 on: 23 August 2018, 19:22:17 »
Winnie the Pooh.  Took a different view once I saw the opening credits with Atwell, Capaldi and McGregor.  Felt like I was watching a crossover of the Doctor, Agent Carter and a Jedi.  Nice to see her rebound after Rogers.   ;D

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #799 on: 16 September 2018, 20:33:58 »
The Predator. Good movie, worth the price of admission. Full of 80's action movie errors in a modern setting, so don't overanalyze it. The humor was dead-on for our tastes (adult) and we loved the Loonies. Plenty of gore as well. The ending sets up for a crazy possible sequel... kind of like Independence Day 2.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #800 on: 21 September 2018, 18:10:48 »
Just watched Darkest Hour. It was good and Gary Oldman was awesome in the role, but not a lot of action and a lot of talking and yelling.
I just watched this the other day and loved it.  I'm a huge Gary Oldman fan, though.  I could care less about the story when he's on screen.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #801 on: 21 September 2018, 18:24:07 »
I just watched this the other day and loved it.  I'm a huge Gary Oldman fan, though.  I could care less about the story when he's on screen.

I'm a huge Gary Oldman fan and a big Churchlill fan, he played the role very good. It's a political movie...there was no real action that movie. It was good but kinda boring.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #802 on: 22 September 2018, 12:17:43 »
The Predator. Good movie, worth the price of admission. Full of 80's action movie errors in a modern setting, so don't overanalyze it. The humor was dead-on for our tastes (adult) and we loved the Loonies. Plenty of gore as well. The ending sets up for a crazy possible sequel... kind of like Independence Day 2.

I enjoyed it as well...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #803 on: 24 September 2018, 00:07:55 »
Cabin in the Woods.  Both a love note and a hate note to the genre.  Great meta-fun.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #804 on: 24 September 2018, 06:50:30 »
Murder on the Orient Exprees. Nice drama, a little slow.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #805 on: 24 September 2018, 10:57:35 »
Murder on the Orient Exprees. Nice drama, a little slow.

The new one, or the Lumet version from the '70's with Albert Finney as Poirot?  I love that version, and haven't seen the new one yet.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #806 on: 24 September 2018, 13:44:35 »
Started trying to watch an old war film from back in 2006, about the all japanese batallion of troops in WW2..
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410403/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

Man was the camera jittery as hell..  That plus the quality of the film, made me turn off after 20 minutes..

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #807 on: 24 September 2018, 15:50:55 »
The new one, or the Lumet version from the '70's with Albert Finney as Poirot?  I love that version, and haven't seen the new one yet.

Older won was better imo

Just saw Infinity War

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #808 on: 05 October 2018, 13:15:12 »
Just watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, starting my Halloween Standards.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #809 on: 05 October 2018, 16:49:37 »
The Greatest Showman. 

Soundtrack has been on repeat for the past week now.   ;D

Register