Author Topic: MotW repost: Balius  (Read 26116 times)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Re: MotW repost: Balius
« Reply #60 on: 10 August 2018, 11:11:32 »
I'm also curious how the ProtoMechs riding the thing would look like.  This being 65 tons, won't it be able hold 2? It be kinda funny, looking like a Cowboy like ProtoMech riding a Ballius Horse.  ;D

Now if I could draw, I'd put a pic up of a minotaur with a cowboy hat riding...
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 10 August 2018, 13:44:30 »
Well...i can't draw well either.  Apparently not that good using MS Paint...this Hydra is very out scale i think to the heavier Balius

"Gitty up, little Balius"
« Last Edit: 10 August 2018, 13:51:22 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #62 on: 10 August 2018, 22:12:36 »
Well...i can't draw well either.  Apparently not that good using MS Paint...this Hydra is very out scale i think to the heavier Balius

PAUL! YOU GOTTA CONE SEE THIS!  We'll see if that works. Even if it's not to scale that looks nice.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 10 August 2018, 22:15:33 »
PAUL! YOU GOTTA CONE SEE THIS!  We'll see if that works. Even if it's not to scale that looks nice.

You guys are damn lucky I have no actual powers anymore.  >|

lol, I hate you both so much right now...!  ;D
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 11 August 2018, 12:07:56 »
The game needs a rule that allows protos to ride quadmechs. Just because.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #65 on: 11 August 2018, 18:24:33 »
The game needs a rule that allows protos to ride quadmechs. Just because.
Protomech Magclamps, just saying...When OmniQuad isn't handy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 12 August 2018, 04:05:03 »
Clamps aren't quite riding. Plus i really, wonder where do the magclamped protos attach on a quad? (Rhetorical, i don't want to actually know.)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 12 August 2018, 07:37:41 »
A second problem was that the massive engine basically tagteamed with the limited crit space, making massive weapons impractical. 325XL would have mitigated the former, and I could've elected to ditch Ferro or even Endo and come out ahead, tonnage-wise. But as indicated, the proliferation of 5/8 65 tonners was a strong reason not to take that course.

You need to go prone with it. A lot.
Here's the other aspect of that:
At 6/9, and needing to invest 1 MP to go prone, you should be able to move at 7 hexes every turn.
At 5/8, not so much.
At 6/9, and needing to invest 2MP to stand up, at which point you can pick any facing, you'll likely still get your 7 hexes, or take 5-6 and another prone.
At 5/8, not so much.

5/8 is a pretty decent speed for a biped. 6/9 is nice. But a quad suffers a bit at 5/8, I would say that the sweet spots bump by 1 base MP.
So, a biped's 7/11 is a quad's 8/12. Etc.

If you're not using prone properly with this guy, you're leaving money on the table.

The stuff at the end of the thread had me going back through this whole thing, and I read through this, and decided to try an experiment...And found that going the 3025 XL route would have given you Timber Wolf, Mad Dog and Hellbringer levels of pod space (perhaps a bit more) with the endo and same levels of ferro, but with 3 extra heat sinks in the engine...however, you still have only 16 crits in which to use the space...still with a bit of tweaking (involving adding a supercharger to the design), it led to interesting paths that should still work with the above...

5/8(10) seems like it should work the above quiaff? Of course, at the time of this design, I do not believe that was an option...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #68 on: 13 August 2018, 08:58:07 »

My Little Pony of the Apocalypse!
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 13 August 2018, 12:35:44 »
So, as the risk of going a bit off-topic, couldn't a modern quadvee, with 2 pilots, theoretically be styled like a horse with rider? With a cockpit at the front of the torso, and one on the 'turret'?
I know the dual cockpit won't actually be there, but at least fluff-wise.

xp

Anyways, if this is a command/totem mech, why no new variants?
I could see this being salvageable with better configs...
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 13 August 2018, 14:09:28 »
2 Balius
2 Light Mechs w/ lrms
1 Heavy wheeled vehicle w/ Mech Transport and 3 armored sides, towable

Equals 1 Hell's Horses Chariot Star Of The Apocalypse
« Last Edit: 13 August 2018, 14:20:03 by Easy »

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #71 on: 13 August 2018, 16:14:59 »
So, as the risk of going a bit off-topic, couldn't a modern quadvee, with 2 pilots, theoretically be styled like a horse with rider? With a cockpit at the front of the torso, and one on the 'turret'?
I know the dual cockpit won't actually be there, but at least fluff-wise.

xp

Anyways, if this is a command/totem mech, why no new variants?
I could see this being salvageable with better configs...

So... a Hells Horses Totem-Omni-Quadvee? Because I have a vivid and weird imagination, I find myself simultaneously appaled and fascinated by this concept. How would it be called... Ghost pony rider?
« Last Edit: 13 August 2018, 16:20:53 by SD501st »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 13 August 2018, 16:49:40 »
A wild herd of Balius has appeared!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #73 on: 14 August 2018, 06:13:16 »
I like the brown colored one, Luciora. 

Just noticed how big the head is in scale of it's body with the mini.  Does it seem the image of the Balius is like that too?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 14 August 2018, 08:10:36 »
The mini is very faithful to the art I feel.

I like the brown colored one, Luciora. 

Just noticed how big the head is in scale of it's body with the mini.  Does it seem the image of the Balius is like that too?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #75 on: 14 August 2018, 08:51:04 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 14 August 2018, 09:06:59 »
There aren't that many animated horse characters outside of the Pony series that had memorable color schemes, hence my choice of G Gundam and She-Ra. 

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #77 on: 21 May 2019, 10:24:48 »
I just realized that if the Capellan Confederation captured one of these they could put mine dispensers on it in a rear-facing center torso mount to leave horse apples from hell.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 22 May 2019, 14:01:11 »
I just realized that if the Capellan Confederation captured one of these they could put mine dispensers on it in a rear-facing center torso mount to leave horse apples from hell.
A similarly mounted flamer also conjures giggles.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #79 on: 22 May 2019, 14:20:30 »
...we necro-ed a thread to make poop jokes?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #80 on: 22 May 2019, 17:12:35 »
Well, since it's been necroed, any chance of the article getting updated for the Balius E variant from 3145?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #81 on: 22 May 2019, 21:51:24 »
Seconded.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #82 on: 23 May 2019, 09:06:51 »
To me the Balius E seems almost like the beginner's variant or the one with training wheels you give to a new guy. When the Balius first went into production they were handbuilt or low production runs. It was only given to high ranking warriors with bloodnames, i.e. warriors who had proven themselves in combat many times over. They knew how to make the most of the limits of the various Balius variants.

The Balius E appears to be from a time when the Balius is more widespread and given to less skilled, less capable warriors. The weapons (ER Large Pulse Laser, Streak LRM15, Streak SRM 6, Improved Heavy Medium Laser) all sacrifice weight (or gain explosive properties) to improve the targeting performance of the weapons. In addition, due to the streak missile systems it is very difficult to overheat the Balius E using the forward-facing weapons, unlike most every other Balius variant, meaning it is more controlled for a new warrior.

That said it is not a bad 'Mech, it can deal a 10-point hit at long ranges and crit seek with missiles, it's just a bit plain in my eyes.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 23 May 2019, 09:22:28 »
To me the Balius E seems almost like the beginner's variant or the one with training wheels you give to a new guy. When the Balius first went into production they were handbuilt or low production runs. It was only given to high ranking warriors with bloodnames, i.e. warriors who had proven themselves in combat many times over. They knew how to make the most of the limits of the various Balius variants.

The Balius E appears to be from a time when the Balius is more widespread and given to less skilled, less capable warriors. The weapons (ER Large Pulse Laser, Streak LRM15, Streak SRM 6, Improved Heavy Medium Laser) all sacrifice weight (or gain explosive properties) to improve the targeting performance of the weapons. In addition, due to the streak missile systems it is very difficult to overheat the Balius E using the forward-facing weapons, unlike most every other Balius variant, meaning it is more controlled for a new warrior.

That said it is not a bad 'Mech, it can deal a 10-point hit at long ranges and crit seek with missiles, it's just a bit plain in my eyes.
Sounds like something that would appeal to the higher-ups in the Society.  Warriors are meatheads that should be pointed at a problem and not overly burdened with an abundance of options.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #84 on: 23 May 2019, 09:57:32 »
Sounds like something that would appeal to the higher-ups in the Society.  Warriors are meatheads that should be pointed at a problem and not overly burdened with an abundance of options.

I'd back that assessment- well, both of them actually, that the Balius E is for Society schlubs, and that they're fairly disposable assets. I never had the impression that Society warriors were really 1) warriors in the accepted sense anyway, nor 2) that they were really valued beyond 'go kill those guys'- if they come back, great, we an use them again, if they don't... well, your sacrifice in the name of SCIENCE! will be remembered or something like that, whatever makes you happy. (NOTE: When referring to the Society, the word 'science' should always be in all-caps with an exclamation point, no matter the situation)

So, give them whatever you can give them for training, give them a basic weapon loadout that even they can't screw up (probably), make sure their Nova system is switched to 'ON' (that's the green button, surat!), and go nuts. Something with pulse weapons and Streak launchers sounds ideal for Mechwarrior Kickedinthehead, fresh off his old job of cleaning Elemental codpieces or whatever he did before the Society's rise.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 23 May 2019, 15:22:05 »
I'd back that assessment- well, both of them actually, that the Balius E is for Society schlubs, and that they're fairly disposable assets. I never had the impression that Society warriors were really 1) warriors in the accepted sense anyway, nor 2) that they were really valued beyond 'go kill those guys'- if they come back, great, we an use them again, if they don't... well, your sacrifice in the name of SCIENCE! will be remembered or something like that, whatever makes you happy. (NOTE: When referring to the Society, the word 'science' should always be in all-caps with an exclamation point, no matter the situation)

So, give them whatever you can give them for training, give them a basic weapon loadout that even they can't screw up (probably), make sure their Nova system is switched to 'ON' (that's the green button, surat!), and go nuts. Something with pulse weapons and Streak launchers sounds ideal for Mechwarrior Kickedinthehead, fresh off his old job of cleaning Elemental codpieces or whatever he did before the Society's rise.
And the ER Pulse laser fits in with their love of toys. I also have to keep reminding myself that its not really an extended range pulsed laser.  It's a pulsed, extended range laser.

Stacked against the cLPLAS, the erLPLAS has 3 more hexs of max range, but within inside 20 hexes, the LPLAS will have better TH numbers, except for at hexes 8 and 15. Against the erLLAS, the ER pulse looses by 2 hexes, but has better hit numbers across the board.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 23 May 2019, 17:04:33 »
But it's heavier and hotter than the ER laser.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #87 on: 23 May 2019, 18:44:10 »
Doesn't the E have the most throw weight at long range, maybe medium too?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 23 May 2019, 18:51:43 »
Doesn't the E have the most throw weight at long range, maybe medium too?

I think alt config A (HAG-20 and Er Large) can pump out a max potential at long range that’s a couple points higher?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #89 on: 23 May 2019, 18:57:08 »
Is that including the -2 that HAGs get 9n the cluster roll at long range?