Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Longbow  (Read 17653 times)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
Re: Mech of the Week: Longbow
« Reply #30 on: 31 July 2018, 16:02:18 »
The 7V is an evil beast. 2 LRM20 and one ER Large for long range friendship and 5 medium pulse lasers to deal with fast units. It is very, very powerful.

The 12C ended the reign of terror of clan LPL units in Spain. A 12C with a good pilot (very cheap in BV1 games) could take down anything, from Locust IIc to Warhawks. The 12R and the 13C are very good units. There's a very interesting Light AC5 gunboat nice for big games, but the 4/6 LGB-13C can do evil things thanks to the massed MMLs.

A beloved unit and a mainstay of any Inner Sphere force I field.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 16 August 2018, 06:06:16 »
OK, compared to the Archer the -7Q is better armored, can continuously move and fire it's main weapons and has improved support capability from those -5 racks. It loses out slightly in speed, but that isn't a major problem for the role they fill and if for some reason it is you should probably be using a lighter, even faster design. It also lacks rear firepower. This last can be fixed by dropping four heat sinks for rear firing lasers and some more armor, or maybe armor and jumpjets?

So why then so both the Longbow and the Archer exist? The Longbow should have replaced the Archer, with the later receding into history (at least until after the Succession Wars broke out). And having both, why did the FWL accept the Yeoman?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 16 August 2018, 06:44:18 »
Won't availability of the Mech factor into why it's around during the Succession Wars?

The OC was apparently popular, so maybe that help keep the less great OW around.  During the Succession Wars, if you got MECH, you got it made as warrior.  Better slugging around as infantryman!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 16 August 2018, 07:00:02 »
longbow was a FWL developed mech. The Archer a terran hegemony design. Up till the end of the star league, the two were not in direct competition for the same buyer market. During the first succession war, most of the factories for the archer were taken by others.
The FWL only got a few, and those appear to have spent most of the early succession wars changing hands.

So ultimately the FWL would not have been taking delivery of many archers, meaning the longbow, being produced in world's not prone to changing hands, would dominate their missile boat fire support niche. Though I bet they used whatever archers they obtained. Since I doubt they made enough longbows at the time to fill all their needs.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2018, 07:10:26 by glitterboy2098 »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #34 on: 16 August 2018, 07:09:23 »
So why then so both the Longbow and the Archer exist? The Longbow should have replaced the Archer, with the later receding into history (at least until after the Succession Wars broke out).

The Archer had better close combat abilities with fists?

The Archer production line was set up and churning out effective combat units. If you show up and say "Hey, shut this line down" the LCCC is going to say "Get rid of something that works? Ha ha ha. No."

Maybe the FWL was selling their Archers to the Terran Hegemony/SLDF the way the FWL sold weapons to the FedCom and Combine during the Clan Invasion.

A final possible reason is the FWL Armorer played the Archer manufacturer off against the Longbow manufacturer. If one of them got too arrogant, the Armorer could just say "Hey, quit screwing around or all your Longbows are going to be replaced with Archers" and vice versa.

And having both, why did the FWL accept the Yeoman?

It was a new design and had that new 'Mech smell. At 60 tons it was lighter and easier to transport. The manufacturer sold it at a loss to the FWL who said "Sure. More missiles are always good, and this will supplement our Trebuchets nicely."
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 16 August 2018, 09:46:50 »
 The Yeoman was an excellent addition to the ranks of the FWLM. It is fairly cheap, carries a good throw weight of missiles, has an acceptable speed, and works well in units of company size or larger. If you do are not experienced in the art of screening, it may be vulnerable, but that is true of many mechs. I do not use the MML variant.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2018, 15:23:02 »
Won't availability of the Mech factor into why it's around during the Succession Wars?
longbow was a FWL developed mech. The Archer a terran hegemony design. Up till the end of the star league, the two were not in direct competition for the same buyer market. During the first succession war, most of the factories for the archer were taken by others.
The FWL only got a few, and those appear to have spent most of the early succession wars changing hands.

So ultimately the FWL would not have been taking delivery of many archers, meaning the longbow, being produced in world's not prone to changing hands, would dominate their missile boat fire support niche. Though I bet they used whatever archers they obtained. Since I doubt they made enough longbows at the time to fill all their needs.
Most common fire support 'Mech would suggest that everyone has access to it, and it large numbers.

The OC was apparently popular, so maybe that help keep the less great OW around.  During the Succession Wars, if you got MECH, you got it made as warrior.  Better slugging around as infantryman!
Considering that I'm talking about the -7Q, that doesn't really follow.

The Archer had better close combat abilities with fists?
On a fire support design that's not really important

The Archer production line was set up and churning out effective combat units. If you show up and say "Hey, shut this line down" the LCCC is going to say "Get rid of something that works? Ha ha ha. No."[/quote]
Pretty sure the would have done something similar with the M60 when the M1 was developed.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #37 on: 16 August 2018, 20:07:00 »
Assaults are magically rarer than heavies. Remember the most common weight bracket is medium.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 16 August 2018, 22:45:23 »
Hmm how about an intro tech Longbow just banked with LRM 5s so that you can dial in the amount of missiles you have going downrange depending on how good your numbers are?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 16 August 2018, 23:16:30 »
That could work..  Check out the designs area..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 16 August 2018, 23:38:04 »
Hmm how about an intro tech Longbow just banked with LRM 5s so that you can dial in the amount of missiles you have going downrange depending on how good your numbers are?
Off the top of my head you should be able to fit 12 launchers for 60 tubes, problem is that you'd generate 24 heat firing all of them at once.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 16 August 2018, 23:50:13 »
So 4 x 15 would be much better I think

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 17 August 2018, 02:01:24 »
There's only 24 tons to play with, assuming you aren't pulling anything else, to pull that off you'd have to pull two heat sinks and the lasers.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 17 August 2018, 20:46:50 »
Only 24 tons, with to play...

almost like a beastie boys tune...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 17 August 2018, 22:35:41 »
So is the Bowman or the Naga essentially Clan successors to the Longbow?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #45 on: 18 August 2018, 15:46:36 »
Off the top of my head you should be able to fit 12 launchers for 60 tubes, problem is that you'd generate 24 heat firing all of them at once.

I think I'd rather just keep the 2x20's & use the 5's tonnage for more ammo, medium lasers, & armor.

If I was going for 5's I think I'd cap it at 10 for the same 50 missiles & use the extra for more mediums/armor to create a bracket fighter.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #46 on: 19 August 2018, 11:15:34 »
So is the Bowman or the Naga essentially Clan successors to the Longbow?
Neither.  The 'original' Bowman was developed in 2923 and is technically the Bowman 4.  At that point it had 2 Arrow IV launchers.  The Naga wasn't released until much later.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #47 on: 19 August 2018, 11:17:41 »
I think the Kraken 3 is the Clan successor to the Longbow.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #48 on: 21 August 2018, 12:00:01 »
Assaults are magically rarer than heavies. Remember the most common weight bracket is medium.
"Magically"? Doesn't they require more resource simply based on their total tonnage?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #49 on: 21 August 2018, 14:30:39 »
Yes.  Both to construct and to maintain.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman