Author Topic: YouTube Ads...  (Read 4162 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
YouTube Ads...
« on: 18 February 2019, 14:50:56 »
Is it just me, or are ads getting longer and much more involved these days?  For example, this one, which clocks in at 4:11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMGqA6_XY

As long as it was, I just couldn't bring my self to hit "skip", and that's not the only one like that I've seen lately.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: YouTube Ads...
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2019, 14:58:16 »
Companies really have no grounds to complain about adblockers when they're constantly making their ads more intrusive all the time. There are a handful of sites I have whitelisted for ads, but yoytube sure as hell isn't one of them!  :P

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2019, 15:06:55 »
Even if you're not interested in what they're selling, I do encourage you to take a look at that link.  It's amazing work.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2019, 04:05:03 »
I'd say an add that makes you want to look at it for four minutes is one heck of a well-made add!

As long as I get to skip them after 5 seconds I don't care how long they are.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2019, 08:59:23 »
Yep, I block ads everywhere.

Sadly, most of the YOUTUBE I watch is off my smart TV, so, can't block there, but jeebus it burns my britches when I'm halfway through a vid and a stoopid 15 second ad pops up.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2019, 09:51:15 »
It sucks when you cant fast forward thru the 20 or 30 second ads for a 10 second or less video.

They are getting worse....it sucks when there are commercials in the middle of a video multiple times that you cant skip.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2019, 09:56:33 »

Me:

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2019, 14:59:49 »
I haven't noticed.  I still see either 30 second ads or it's skippable after 5 seconds.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2019, 15:00:26 »
Yea its gotten real annoying..
Was watching a 12 min podcast about some brit shows, and someone going over what He feels about them, and had 4 seperate ads pop up splitting the show up..  Made it hard to listen too..  Especially as those ads came in, in rather inopportune  moments (like mid sentence).

Me:

If a site asks me to do that i leave it!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2019, 16:30:32 »
There are a couple of websites I'm willing to turn off my adblocker for.  But the site owners really have to convince me that they're going to screen the ads they allow: I've had far too many experiences with sites that use bandwidth-hogging, unmutable, cacophonous autoplay-video, spyware-installing ads.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2019, 17:01:36 »
There are a couple of websites I'm willing to turn off my adblocker for.  But the site owners really have to convince me that they're going to screen the ads they allow: I've had far too many experiences with sites that use bandwidth-hogging, unmutable, cacophonous autoplay-video, spyware-installing ads.

website: "We really care about providing quality content, but good writing costs money. Please consider switching off your ad-blocker when visiting!"

*turns of adblocker*

*website reloads with six auto-playing videos, several dancing banner ads, a transparent pop-up & underlined ad text*

me: "Yeah, NOOOOOOOOOPE!"

*reactivates adblocker*

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2019, 20:24:40 »
Was watching a 12 min podcast about some brit shows, and someone going over what He feels about them, and had 4 seperate ads pop up splitting the show up..  Made it hard to listen too..  Especially as those ads came in, in rather inopportune  moments (like mid sentence).

it's worse than TV that way, they don't have anything in their system to ensure the ads at least TRY to enter at reasonable times. they just insert an ad whe[BUY SPICY FRANK'S COCKTAIL SAUSAGE! CLICK HERE!!!]never they trip a time limit, regardless of the content.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2019, 00:27:15 »
And the content creator seems to have NO input on when the ads get put in.  Which to me is borked.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2019, 02:49:51 »
And the content creator seems to have NO input on when the ads get put in.  Which to me is borked.

Absolutely. YouTube could simply do what FTA stations require here in Australia, and insert marked areas in the video to place adds, every X minutes, but instead they just shoehorn them in.

My personal favourites are the YouTubers who obviously go around YouTube and include an add for another company in their video content, shrewd.

Of course Alphabet, the owners of Google and YouTube, are big fans of automation, and that's why we get this, a substandard system with no sign for improvement. :P

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2019, 05:55:52 »
Me:

If a site asks me to do that i leave it!
This was the subject of my masters' research project, based on similar such remarks. Hypothesis: would intrusive online advertising really turn people off the product?

You'd think we had a slam dunk, but it turns out... no. Sure, people are irritated. But they're not irritated enough to not buy the product. Even when it was not an essential, generic or low-cost item.

Like it or not, advertising works, for the most part.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2019, 07:35:32 »
Right. It’s probably the same reason why an hour-long tv show still has 20 minutes of commericals and they show some of the same ones every commercial break. They know we’re still going to watch if the show is good enough. As annoyed as anyone claims to be, the advertising has a psychological impact (though besides live sports, I rarely will watch a show that’s not on DVR

The issue for me isn’t what is being advertised. I couldn’t care less. It’s the usability annoyances that the ads cause. So I’m willing to forgo the content unless I really need to see it or it’s the least obtrusive (or shady) of the options. If that makes me an odd duck, it’s definitely not even near the top of the list of things that do.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2019, 10:42:02 »
Try this: click on time-slider near its end, play/skip ads, then back it up to beginning. That should get all the ads out of the way. This trick isn't limited on YouTube alone, but also works at least on Crunchyroll (or used to work in time I wasn't paying premium yet).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2019, 11:21:03 »
it's worse than TV that way, they don't have anything in their system to ensure the ads at least TRY to enter at reasonable times. they just insert an ad whe[BUY SPICY FRANK'S COCKTAIL SAUSAGE! CLICK HERE!!!]never they trip a time limit,RANDOM AD FOR COMPUTER PROGRAM I HAVE NO INTENTION OF USING!!!!! regardless of the content.

I hate that.  Especially during long videos.  It becomes unnerving and destroys the pacing.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2019, 11:24:52 »
Yup...nothing like a MIDWORD break for an ad for a Car. It's what I usually get. Car Ads, nasal allergy ads, etc.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2019, 12:56:06 »
I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll intentionally makes their ad breaks as annoying as possible to encourage people to buy premium subscriptions.  Why else would the volume be tripled and they show the same ad three times in a row?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2019, 12:57:52 »
This was the subject of my masters' research project, based on similar such remarks. Hypothesis: would intrusive online advertising really turn people off the product?

You'd think we had a slam dunk, but it turns out... no. Sure, people are irritated. But they're not irritated enough to not buy the product. Even when it was not an essential, generic or low-cost item.

Like it or not, advertising works, for the most part.

I've always wondered what effect that has on the effectiveness of the ads, myself. personally I always make a mental note not to buy a product if they annoy me with ads but i'm very much an outlier most of the time. if you keep using the product, but effectively boycott the products that advertise with it and the thing you use still makes it's money while the ads you don't like become worthless. I guess i'm wondering if anyone factors spite into the advertising plans..... xp

quick edit: i have never had that issue with crunchyroll, but that's because i use my wii u to watch it and i don't think anyone's putting ads through that anymore. gaming the system with superior nintendo tactics i guess!
« Last Edit: 20 February 2019, 12:59:55 by Orin J. »
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2019, 13:57:34 »
YouTube has the option to pay to remove the ads. That pretty much tells you how much the ads are offsetting the costs of the service.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2019, 13:58:11 »
quick edit: i have never had that issue with crunchyroll, but that's because i use my wii u to watch it and i don't think anyone's putting ads through that anymore. gaming the system with superior nintendo tactics i guess!

advanced warfare

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2019, 14:49:12 »
Right. It’s probably the same reason why an hour-long tv show still has 20 minutes of commericals and they show some of the same ones every commercial break. They know we’re still going to watch if the show is good enough. As annoyed as anyone claims to be, the advertising has a psychological impact (though besides live sports, I rarely will watch a show that’s not on DVR

The issue for me isn’t what is being advertised. I couldn’t care less. It’s the usability annoyances that the ads cause. So I’m willing to forgo the content unless I really need to see it or it’s the least obtrusive (or shady) of the options. If that makes me an odd duck, it’s definitely not even near the top of the list of things that do.

That's why i try to catch certain shows online, so i don't (or stand a lessened risk) of getting all those ads.  OR use the advert times for toilet breaks and such.

I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll intentionally makes their ad breaks as annoying as possible to encourage people to buy premium subscriptions.  Why else would the volume be tripled and they show the same ad three times in a row?

If that's the case, then that is a site i will NEVER ever use.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2019, 15:13:29 »
Did you read this post? I made test run with it by logging out of CR and it still works.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2019, 16:24:48 »
That post doesn't really change what happened when I tried watching something on Crunchyroll a year ago.

I don't bother using them anymore: I've got enough streaming services that I pay for at this point, and more things to watch than I have time to do so.

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2019, 18:09:54 »
Use the hosts file from https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/.  It really helps weed out a lot of the more obnoxious stuff.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2019, 19:07:15 »

I guess i'm wondering if anyone factors spite into the advertising plans..... xp

Oh yes. Social media managers and activists especially. But academic studies into spite or hate in advertising, not so much. That was what we were hoping to make inroads into.

Didn't quite work out. People like you are indeed an outlier.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2019, 05:18:14 »
Oh yes. Social media managers and activists especially. But academic studies into spite or hate in advertising, not so much. That was what we were hoping to make inroads into.

Didn't quite work out. People like you are indeed an outlier.

The truth is that most people will forget how much an add annoys them when they want something, and the add will be cemented in their memories enough to put that name first to mind. That's why adds generally have annoying jingles in them, not to mention abominable acting. The entire idea is to be remembered, it doesn't matter why, and humans recall negative memories far better than positive memories.

This was the result of a seismic shift in advertising in the early 2000s, where it wen't from manipulating perception to manipulating memory, it was disturbing stuff, and is most of the reason why adds today aren't funny or entertaining anymore.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2019, 19:05:04 »
I don't know... I've seen a few funny ones recently (the LG ThinQ Anniversary Disaster one was hilarious).  Granted, the good ones are rarer these days (the one in the OP is another).

Register